Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

look, i'm not sure here, but it seems like maybe we don't have to give the benefit of the doubt to people who spend their time and money dressing up like nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ok, maybe I'm misreading this as you weren't giving Helen Highwater the benefit of doubt.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
That group are a WWII re-enactment society, they put on fake battles all over the region (Slovakia/Czech Rep./Hungary) as Soviets/Partisans vs Nazis. All the kit, and the vehicles etc, belong to the group and they assign people to play one side or the other as needed. It's not a photo of a bunch of Wehraboos.

https://spectator.sme.sk/c/20032859/re-enactment-of-wwii-battle-for-the-dargov-pass.html

IMG_7899.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Moskva_Airshow003.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’d ways bring my own monocle, just in case I had to be a german that week.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

The B/W negatives I am developing myself are coming out with a density of >4.0 in the highlights. I determine this by placing the negative on a light table, measuring the intensity of the unobstructed light table and comparing it to that coming through the negative. My light meter measures a 4 stop loss of light. This is surprising because I used a spot meter and place the highlights in Zone 8. My question is, how do I separate overexposure from overdevelopment? I use rotary developing and a less common dilution (DD-X @ 1:9, rather than 1:4, to get development times to not be too short). While I had good starting points from the massive dev chart, I obviously need to fine tune things further.

I was thinking:
1. Reduce development time by 25%. Currently 10.75 min at 20 C for Delta 100 rated @ 50.
2. Shoot a 12 frame array of a featureless target: -4, -3, -2, -1, +0, +1, +2, +3, +4, +5, +6, +7 stops.
3. Measure density vs. exposure (create film curve).
- If +7 frame gives density of >3.5, reduce development time by another 10% and redo the above steps.
- Else, note which frame is 3 stops (of subject brightness) above base+fog of film. That's the new +0 -> compute new film speed.

Is this overly simple and naive?

Edit: Ok, I am an idiot for confusing density with stops. 4 stops of light loss = density of 1.2. That seems low enough that the scanner (V850) should be able to capture details. Looks like I am loving up something else.

Edit2: I left a scanner setting in auto, when I should have known better.

But I do have a question about this thing called the staircase effect that likes to show up in large featureless overexposed areas. Why do I see this in an area with a film density of 1.2?

I'll go through something like this and keep track of what zone this effect shows up in.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 31, 2022

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

So who else is looking forward to that rumored 40% Kodak price increase? :suicide:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Cacator posted:

So who else is looking forward to that rumored 40% Kodak price increase? :suicide:

Eh, Kodak isn't the only one in the game and I'm keen to see what Orwo/Adox can pump out regarding colour negative. Ektachrome E100 is one of my favourite colour stocks presently so I'll be interested to see what happens there.

I'm a bit salty that I only discovered how much I love Fomapan 400 recently and now it's a bit harder to get where I am.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Maybe the hot new Gen Z trend of buying old lovely digital cameras will bring down the cost of film cameras to balance things out. One can dream :pray:

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
^^I really hope so!

Anyone developed kentmere yet? My sweetie got me 5x 100 and 10x 400 for Christmas. Can't wait to see how it holds up.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

majour333 posted:

^^I really hope so!

Anyone developed kentmere yet? My sweetie got me 5x 100 and 10x 400 for Christmas. Can't wait to see how it holds up.

I've developed Kentmere in 35mm. It's a pretty good emulsion if you develop it with the right developer (handle with care though because the emulsion is incredibly easy to damage). I developed mine with Clayton F76+ and the grain is really clumpy with not a lot of fine detail. Developing Kentmere with HC-110 is supposedy much better.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

majour333 posted:

^^I really hope so!

It didn't inspire me the way that other 400 speed stocks do, like Fomapan or even HP5 (which is imho the baseline and I'm a real sucker for Tri-X). It felt a little flat to me but I like a bit of contrast-y drama. It seems pretty solid though!!!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Recoome posted:

Eh, Kodak isn't the only one in the game and I'm keen to see what Orwo/Adox can pump out regarding colour negative. Ektachrome E100 is one of my favourite colour stocks presently so I'll be interested to see what happens there.

I'm a bit salty that I only discovered how much I love Fomapan 400 recently and now it's a bit harder to get where I am.

There’s been some rumbling around Luminar 100 which is a new brand of cut & spooled Kodak color aerial surveillance film. Have only seen a few samples but it reminds me of cinestill 50D without the halation, which is pretty cool. IMO it will be nice to have a fine grain 100 speed color film that isn’t as punchy as Ektar, if that is indeed what it ends up being.

But I hear this game of cutting up Kodak aerial film was already done by Film Washi X, and what I see of that on Flickr doesn’t look spectacularly great… kind of grainy, and the color shifts are pretty dramatic. Of course, it could just be bad processing & scanning.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

if it's respooled kodak, it's not going to escape the problem of kodak increasing prices

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
I think the new Santacolor 100 is also the same Kodak air surveillance stock and it looks good in samples fwiw. I pre-ordered a few rolls but haven't been able to shoot any yet. Supposedly being able to push it to 800 without much issue is kinda cool at least.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

for me i'm more likely going to just switch to digital. i shoot lots of portra 400 because it's a high quality film that gives me great results, and if that becomes too expensive, well, it's time for something different. it's a shame.

(i know my goals and aims are not shared by all)

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Everything's gone up but I feel 35mm went up disproportionately, it feels like every time I've gone to re-up on some Portra or Ektar it's $2-3 per roll extra every time. Fuji was always expensive for slide film but I've seen Velvia 50 going for like $35. I've been able to hunt for deals but I think this year I'm going to start shooting a lot more black and white on 35mm. At least it's nice that I've been trending towards shooting more black and white independent of all these price increases... now I just need to look into developing at home as well.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

cerious posted:

... now I just need to look into developing at home as well.

I was extremely hesitant about this as I do photolithography at work and I did not want my work to overlap too much with hobby, but I have found developing b/w film at home to be a satisfying experience.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Cacator posted:

Iirc the 40% hike seems to only be hitting Japan right now and not the rest of the world. And per hearsay or possibly just baseless conjecture, the hikes are because they're having to pull old machines out of mothball and get them going again, as well as hire and train up new employees to keep up with demand.

I haven't kept up with Film Ferrania at all after their Kickstarter emails stopped coming into my inbox, but are they anywhere closer to coming out with their color stock they've been working on forever? I see their B&W stuff in stock fairly often, so I don't think they've gone out of business??

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Buyer beware, I know, and I will have an opportunity to test a roll ... but if an expired roll (FP4, Plus-X Pan) was cold stored, should I still expect to add one stop of light per decade of expiration?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

cold stored, no, just shoot at box

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Cool, thanks.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

bellows lugosi posted:

if it's respooled kodak, it's not going to escape the problem of kodak increasing prices

I wonder if that’s the case since the consumer still films like Portra are Kodak Alaris while aerocolor 2460 is sold by Eastman Kodak.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

ishikabibble posted:

Iirc the 40% hike seems to only be hitting Japan right now and not the rest of the world. And per hearsay or possibly just baseless conjecture, the hikes are because they're having to pull old machines out of mothball and get them going again, as well as hire and train up new employees to keep up with demand.

Regardless, I bought 5x Gold 200 and 5x Portra 400 in 120, I didn't do that before the 17% increase last year and figure we're not getting a drop any time soon. They'll sit nicely in my fridge next to the 12 rolls of Pro 400H I have left :)

cerious posted:

Everything's gone up but I feel 35mm went up disproportionately, it feels like every time I've gone to re-up on some Portra or Ektar it's $2-3 per roll extra every time. Fuji was always expensive for slide film but I've seen Velvia 50 going for like $35. I've been able to hunt for deals but I think this year I'm going to start shooting a lot more black and white on 35mm. At least it's nice that I've been trending towards shooting more black and white independent of all these price increases... now I just need to look into developing at home as well.

Develop and scan at home both black and white and c-41 and save yourself hundreds of dollars and untold amounts of time compared to shipping to a lab and waiting for inferior results you have little control over. I would try E-6 too but I don't have that much space for chemical storage.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 16, 2023

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Cacator posted:

...They'll sit nicely in my fridge next to the 12 rolls of Pro 400H I have left :)

I hope you know that Pro 400H is still available at reasonable prices ($50 for 5 rolls of 120).

-signed, guy with 22 rolls left

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Cacator posted:

B&W 4 lyfe I suppose.

e: along with cheap rear end Fuji here and there.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Or just be like me and let your depression make you not want to photograph anything! That’s a free lifehack for all of you frugally minded goons out there. Peace.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I am waiting for a good time to shoot some Agfa Isopan in 120 that expired when my Rolleicord was new

I think my craziest roll I'd like to shoot is a roll of Agfacolor CT-18 because I hear you can process it as colour with some UT-18 kit or something.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I am not sure if anyone cares, but "Magnum Contact Sheets" is a great photo book. It's nice to see that even the Greats will take multiple shots of one subject. I had assumed that only bad photographers do this and that the Greats take no more than 5 shots and then move on - not the case. I am also surprised at how pleasant Tri-X grain is, and how under certain conditions the grain is not obvious at all.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

theHUNGERian posted:

I am not sure if anyone cares, but "Magnum Contact Sheets" is a great photo book. It's nice to see that even the Greats will take multiple shots of one subject. I had assumed that only bad photographers do this and that the Greats take no more than 5 shots and then move on - not the case. I am also surprised at how pleasant Tri-X grain is, and how under certain conditions the grain is not obvious at all.

Yeah, that is very up there on my list of photo books to check out; it would be great to kind of peel back the onion and see the creative process more. If anyone else has similar recs of contact sheet books I'd love to hear them. When I got into photography my first year of uni a mate of mine told me "the main thing about being a photographer is not showing people the bad ones", which has really stuck with me.

Old Tri-X is a different formulation, used more silver. For some reason I thought it was the 80s when they switched, but was recently looking into it and it was more like the 2000's. That may or may not account for the difference, dunno. I have a box of early 70s 4x5 Tri-X that came with my Toyo I've been meaning to shoot, have a feeling it'll be bad (is from South Australia and probably stored in an attic or garage for decades), need to see if I can get some benzotriazole to deal with base fog.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’d also be interested is a recommendation for baby’s first black & white photography book. I think my pictures would benefit from deliberately studying someone who knows what they’re doing.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Walker evans american photographs

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Old Tri-X is a different formulation, used more silver. For some reason I thought it was the 80s when they switched, but was recently looking into it and it was more like the 2000's. That may or may not account for the difference, dunno.

Ron Mowrey was on the record that the "took the silver out" thing is more or less a myth. They did change the sensitization process, though; the new stuff is faster to develop, slightly more sensitive, and a bit finer-grained (and tailored to the equipment and smaller production runs in a new Kodak building, but as photographers we wouldn't see that part).

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

President Beep posted:

I’d also be interested is a recommendation for baby’s first black & white photography book. I think my pictures would benefit from deliberately studying someone who knows what they’re doing.

"Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs" is perhaps cliche, but I still liked it. Lots of gold nuggets sprinkled throughout the text.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions. Found a copy of the Walker Evans book for less than 11 bucks with shipping.

:slick:

E: Or I got scammed. Who knows?!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

lee friedlander

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Vice has a timely article on the current colour film shortage. It mentions a price increase of 20% in March for Kodak. It also mentions flic film (whose store I've driven by), they make a nice eco friendly black and white developer with a long shelf life, I only use that and Rodinal at this point.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Cacator posted:

Vice has a timely article on the current colour film shortage. It mentions a price increase of 20% in March for Kodak.

I’m sure there’s plenty of other business factors behind the price increase, but I’m starting to think Kodak are going to price film so high that it starts to lose steam again, just as it’s popularity is on the rise for the first time in decades.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

people say that every year when kodak announces price increases and popularity just keeps rising

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Woah woah woah. You mean to tell me that the market isn’t rational??? :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

frogbs posted:

I’m sure there’s plenty of other business factors behind the price increase, but I’m starting to think Kodak are going to price film so high that it starts to lose steam again, just as it’s popularity is on the rise for the first time in decades.

Can't wait for Kodak to learn about the trust thermocline.