Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Khorne posted:

If you replace Warframe with Destiny then maybe...

100% disagree. There's a reason why most map based RPG games are based around "fireteam" squads of friends with overlapping skills and weapons. Warframe might have come first but it wasn't as influential. We now have Destiny clones in the same way that we used to have WoW clones.

I mean, the paper doll aspects of collecting mods and classes, a lack of an overworld map, in-map generated objectives, all that stuff is in Warframe that never made the jump into the new genre of mmo.

E. Okay they added open world content later but still

VVV Too late I already raised my levies for war

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

E. Okay they added open world content later but still
I wasn't looking to start a holy war. I was aiming to make a bit of a joke & also warframe came first and kinda really kicked it off even though Destiny had wider appeal. In some ways, Diablo 2 really kicked off the lobby genre and came before most of the MMOs even did.

Genre lines are kind of blurred these days anyway.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 13, 2023

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Guild Wars 1 also had the lobby thing.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

LuckyCat posted:

Guild Wars 1 also had the lobby thing.
If I could go back in time I'd play GW1. It's one of the few "great games" that I opted not to play. Asheron's Call is another.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I got GW1 instead of WoW, but everyone else was playing that, so :shrug:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Khorne posted:

If I could go back in time I'd play GW1. It's one of the few "great games" that I opted not to play. Asheron's Call is another.

you can still just play it. single player it's like a refined and distilled Neverwinter Nights.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Khorne posted:

I played it at launch and through Factions. It was fun but also very superficial on the exploring/PvE content. The PvE content almost felt like window dressing for the PvP stuff. They went all out for the arena PvP, but it was subject to a lot of Flavor of the Week builds you see in every environment like that. There were a lot of cool mechanics and interesting professions, though. The addition of the ritualist class was really cool, in particular.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GW1 is still an extremely good, and still extremely novel, concept. Kind of a deckbuilder meets MMO.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I don't know why it is but I can't stand 'build your own class by combining different classses' thing that some games like GW1, rift, and ESO did (by memory, I may have one of those wrong). I'm ok with pure classes and ok with ones that have skills you practice to level up, but something about that 'I'm a necromancer / bard' stuff is incredibly unappealing to me.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

GW1 is still an extremely good, and still extremely novel, concept. Kind of a deckbuilder meets MMO.

wow what a cool idea they should do this with a well known card franchise like magic the gathering

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Diephoon posted:

wow what a cool idea they should do this with a well known card franchise like magic the gathering

curb your enthusiasm theme

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
An ARPG where you never know what your abilities will do, brilliant!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
that is me in every arpg

I ain't reading poo poo

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Third World Reagan posted:

ffxiv was released 13 years ago
but it still is getting expansions to this day

then again so is everquest 1

Groovelord Neato posted:

FF14 is absolutely a modern mmo.

WoW is also still getting expansions 19 years later, it is not a modern MMO.

FFXIV is a great MMO, and it is a post-WoW MMO but it is absolutely not a modern MMO.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The only modern MMOs are the autopath autocombat games netmarble shits out every two months for a given IP

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WoW is a modern MMO. Yes its been going for almost 20 years now, but its received significant updates to its game engine and quality of life improvements to keep up with new trends.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
tab target cooldown clicky mmos are not modern

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Doesn't matter

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I can't imagine what a modern MMO is if it isn't a game where a significant amount of time is doing a main plot by yourself.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

wheres all the postmodern mmos

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

New World maybe?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Have you played a game called Eve Online

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
Really fulfilling stereotypes as old grognards calling a 20 year old game modern.

20 years before wow came out was the goddamn video game crash.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bobfromsales posted:

Really fulfilling stereotypes as old grognards calling a 20 year old game modern.

The demarcation between retro and modern FPS is close to that far back as well. poo poo it might be longer at this point.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

an iksar marauder posted:

tab target cooldown clicky mmos are not modern

What is an example of an MMO that is both modern and good?

Trick question, you can only pick one or the other.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gonna circle back to MUDs

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bobfromsales posted:

It's more that WoW as it stands today is modern because they set the standard for what became modern, and continually updated it. It might not be *good* but it's certainly mechanically a modern mmo because they modernized it over time.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the mmorpg genre started with world of warcraft, everything before that was just spicy muds

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bobfromsales posted:

What would you consider a modern MMO?

I suspect this is less grognard and more a combination of the genre is stuck in the past & WoW has continually adapted with the times. Instant matchmaking from anywhere, casual level raids with instant matchmaking from anywhere, overhauls of the dungeon system itself to be modernized and genre leading even by 2023's standards, greatly streamlining the leveling process, tailoring the leveling process to be a brief introduction for new players rather than time burner garbage like lots of old mmos and even old wow, new player catchup mechanics that are top tier for the genre, and a design that targets a core audience of people with jobs/school/etc.

You could ding it for being tab target, but tab target is just as valid of a system as the others. And WoW executes tab target better than anyone to the point where most action combat systems feel clunky and imprecise in comparison.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 14, 2023

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Modern is just a term relative to each individuals life

so the more gray hair you got, the more you think wow is modern

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WoW makes huge sweeping quality of changes, redesigns entire zones, and constantly updates its entire graphics engine. It's absolutely a modern day MMO you ding-dongs lol. It's not even close to being the same MMO it was 20 years ago. Even the classic servers are nothing like they truly were back in the day. Cataclysm expansion was arguably just World of Warcraft 2 in all but name.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

jokes posted:

Gonna circle back to MUDs

Wouldn't mind this tbh. There was a rad MUD back in the day where you could own a spaceship and fly to different planets, it ruled.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Same, honestly. When you think about it, less time making the game look pretty is more time spent making it be good and fun.

I'd take a shot at just making one myself as a pet project, but netcode is hell.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Wouldn't mind this tbh. There was a rad MUD back in the day where you could own a spaceship and fly to different planets, it ruled.

There were a bunch of Star Wars MUDs at least that did this, I played on one for years that I doubt ever broke 30 concurrent players. It was still a glorified chatroom though with a really poorly realized and mapped dikuMUD to go grind Jawas for Credits so you could buy some gear so you could go grind stronger Jawas in.

There was space combat, but during the time I played it went through like 3 different iterations of it which all sucked. The worst one I remember the only way to ever hit an opponent was to turn on autopilot, which automatically fired your weapons and had it's own accuracy calculation which was greater than anything any player could achieve, as in non-zero.

I played a lot of terrible MUXs as a kid, but the lovely Star Wars one was definitely one of the more memorable ones. It was still the loving dark ages, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I used to do a MUD back in high school but these days when I hear the term all that comes to mind is the pharmabro who kept buying Dragonrealms accounts to molest other players, then do it again after he got banned.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

LuckyCat posted:

What is an example of an MMO that is both modern and good?

Trick question, you can only pick one or the other.

the only good mmo is everquest 1

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Your third wave (no tool bars, but not really) sounds funny. Which games would you put in that group?

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 15, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm not sure if it counts as a MUD because they were still working way after WoW was a thing but I spent years dabbling in like six different text based mmos, the kind where you bind macros to fight and drink potions to keys because it's possible to get out-typed by people. They were fun but boy did you get into a game and then get smacked to the ground by anyone passing by who felt like it.

Bobfly posted:

Your third wave (no tool bars, but not really) sounds funny. Which games would you put in that group?

Games like Tera, BDO, the ones with "active" combat rather than toolbars. You didn't have toolbars with auto targeting, yes, but functionally if your attack is to face towards an enemy and then pretty your R key to get an attack assigned to that key to pop out then that's just the same gameplay hidden behind a veil. It feels better at first but after a while you come to realize that it's not actually any different.

There were some games that tried to do better than that, like Vindictus which was more of a physical slasher rather than point and click, but most were like the above.

VVVV Careful, the Guild Wars 2 fans are going to have you on a cross by the end of the day.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 15, 2023

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
The Beginning (? - 2001)
MUD
Everquest
Ultima Online

The Good Days (2003-2008)

World of Warcraft
Star Wars Galaxies
Guild Wars

The Dark Times (2008 - 2015)
Warhammer Online
Age of Conan
Rift
Guild Wars 2
Final Fantasy XIV

The End Times (2015 - Today)
New World
Lost Ark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Federation was one of the bigger if not the biggest MUDs of that type - my friend playing it was my introduction to MUDs. He then played so much Achaea they hired him on as a contractor.