Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't played FF in years but apparently it turned in waifu frame at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It has always been that way

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I have no idea if it's good or not but the Friday the 13th puzzle game is getting delisted from Steam so the creators made it free for now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/795100/Friday_the_13th_Killer_Puzzle/

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Medullah posted:

I have no idea if it's good or not but the Friday the 13th puzzle game is getting delisted from Steam so the creators made it free for now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/795100/Friday_the_13th_Killer_Puzzle/

It's really fun! I hate it's getting delisted

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What exactly is the deal with Friday the 13th that everyone who makes a game out of it gets hosed? Is it in some IP war or something?

That game looks neat though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

veni veni veni posted:

What exactly is the deal with Friday the 13th that everyone who makes a game out of it gets hosed? Is it in some IP war or something?

It was this not sure if it still is though

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
From what I've heard of the writer of the first movie, he's a complete rear end in a top hat and is the reason why the 4v1 horror game got delisted, so it's either that or just that the rights expired, like why they ""have to"" change songs for GTA rereleases.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

IGN Japan did a really in depth interview with some Silent Hill peeps

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1614955899663024129?t=45gWQ1WQtMb1rd9Rpy0Jxg&s=19

Funny that even internally it was hard for them to agree on what Silent Hill is exactly, but psychological horror won out in the end.

They're also glowing in praise for bloober.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

IGN Japan did a really in depth interview with some Silent Hill peeps

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1614955899663024129?t=45gWQ1WQtMb1rd9Rpy0Jxg&s=19

Funny that even internally it was hard for them to agree on what Silent Hill is exactly, but psychological horror won out in the end.

They're also glowing in praise for bloober.

It’s an ad article, the point of it is to have the old team praise Bloober.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bogart posted:

From what I've heard of the writer of the first movie, he's a complete rear end in a top hat and is the reason why the 4v1 horror game got delisted, so it's either that or just that the rights expired, like why they ""have to"" change songs for GTA rereleases.

One of the first asymmetric slasher games to make it big in the KS era had the bad luck to have a concept still of a guy with a strap-on mask and you can imagine what happened next

Low budget filmmaking is rife with bloodsuckers in every sense of the word

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, the owners are all in some huge pissing contest and every time something in the franchise does well, one of them argues it and everyone pulls the license again.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Discendo Vox posted:

It’s an ad article, the point of it is to have the old team praise Bloober.

We spoke to the director of Silent Hill 2, this is what he had to say, unedited and direct!

"Bloober Team...make...game...gameplay...good...confident...team."

Thank you for your time!

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Watch it be good lol

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 16, 2023

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

bloober making a game thats not a pile of poo poo or inserting any of their weird psychological ideas would be a shocking twist

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

so, uh, don't hold your breath for a callisto protocol 2:

quote:

According to MK-Odyssey (via VGC) The Callisto Protocol cost 200 million won ($162 million) to develop, a truly triple-A budget that the game has not been able to recoup. The game was so costly to make in fact it was referred to as "quadruple-A" during development. It is a budget even more notable considering the game was a new name in a genre that is relatively niche.

According to Samsung Securities, The Callisto Protocol has reportedly missed sales targets, which has forced Krafton investors to "lower their target stock prices". Korean games giant Krafton published the survival horror title and had expected to sell around five million copies, but current cumulative sales has The Callisto Protocol at around two million copies. Expectations are now that the stockbroker thinks it will be a challenge to reach that target.

$160 million for such a totally unremarkable title is baffling, and i don't think you're being invited back to the investment table if you miss your sales target by 3 million. they can probably make back the budget with future sales but still, yeesh

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

loving what, game devs need to get their poo poo sorted before ballooning budgets crater the industry

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I know nothing about sales numbers myself, but the discussion I saw suggested that the actual sales numbers were reasonable for this kind of new IP, and the expected numbers were insane overvaluing. It just sounds like the whole thing turned out to be a weird money sink for whatever reason.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Callisto Protocol seemed oddly rushed from multiple directions and broke no real ground in tech or design, so I have no clue why it would be so drat expensive other than mismanagement.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's really hard to wrap your head around a number like $160 million for a game that has, like, 4 different enemy types, one miniboss, and one proper boss, and whose gameplay consists of running through corridors and pushing everything into spike racks or OOB instakill zones

there's something ridiculous even from a business standpoint about pumping what amounts to major hollywood film budgets into a game that a tiny percentage of the world actually has the capability of even loving playing without their PCs exploding

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Gaius Marius posted:

loving what, game devs need to get their poo poo sorted before ballooning budgets crater the industry

It's why every triple-A studio is scrambling to cram in battle passes and microtransactions and live-service poo poo. The cost of making a game on that level has ballooned enormously while the MSRP of games has not.

Something has to break eventually. But it's almost certainly going to be a $70-80 price point and not attempting to reel in costs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm just not clear on what the RoI is on these massive budgets, even from a publisher perspective there are cleaner, safer investment paths that don't require this sort of expense. It feels like a Producers situation (which I know does happen in game dev sometimes).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm just not clear on what the RoI is on these massive budgets, even from a publisher perspective there are cleaner, safer investment paths that don't require this sort of expense. It feels like a Producers situation (which I know does happen in game dev sometimes).

especially for a new IP like callisto protocol, you're betting the bank on creating a smash new hit that captivates the world and allows you to spin it off into sequel after sequel. i think the perception was that survival horror as a genre was a fairly open field, because it was more-or-less just resident evil and the very occasional entry like evil within as far as AAA titles went

callisto definitely smells like a victim of mismanagement and a lack of true directorial focus. there's obviously an expectation of AAA releases being ridiculous graphical powerhouses, and they certainly got there, but you gotta have something other than that. you can buttress mediocre gameplay with a transfixing story or vice versa, but a pretty light-and-shadow show alone is nothing special in 2022, and especially for a genre like survival horror that depends a lot on the careful curation of a specific atmosphere that callisto never manages between its bizarre punch-out combat and "the first draft is the best draft" level of screenplay

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Discendo Vox posted:

You're coming at it from the wrong angle. As Captain Hygiene said, this isn't a case of the budget being too big, but Krafton setting its sights too high.

Striking Distance is located in San Ramon, near San Francisco, with a staff of 150 and the company started work on TCP in June 2019. A big chunk of that $160 million is just paying people Bay Area cost-of-living prices for two and a half years, plus whatever the office costs, plus whatever Josh Duhamel and Karen Fukuhara took home.

AAA games in the 2020s are just expensive to make, full stop, and TCP isn't particularly unusual in that regard. If you want cheaper games, buy more games with simpler visuals, so you don't have to have 30 animators and modelers spending a week and a half on each individual decapitation.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

1stGear posted:

It's why every triple-A studio is scrambling to cram in battle passes and microtransactions and live-service poo poo. The cost of making a game on that level has ballooned enormously while the MSRP of games has not.

Something has to break eventually. But it's almost certainly going to be a $70-80 price point and not attempting to reel in costs.

And its not even like you can scale things back without people bitching. Gotham Knights doesn't look like Arkham Knight, but I keep stumbling across people going "It looks like poo poo, did the developers not care". The game looks fine, i'll never understand the graphics people.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

dogstile posted:

And its not even like you can scale things back without people bitching. Gotham Knights doesn't look like Arkham Knight, but I keep stumbling across people going "It looks like poo poo, did the developers not care". The game looks fine, i'll never understand the graphics people.

I think it's something of a self fulfilling thing. We're at a point where graphics can't really improve that much more for the common person, and only the freaks that are measuring pore size on people's skin with digital calipers notice 99% of the details that you spent hundreds of millions of dollars on. But if the animations and visual design is junky then it pops out more to the average person.

It helps to ask why they think that it's bad (if you actually give a poo poo about their opinion) because it breaks down a few ways. Some are the type who criticize the watermelon slashing physics on the fruit cart in the back of level 3 and can be safely tranquilized from a helicopter. Some have legitimate design concerns. Some just don't get the right vibe. Who knows.

The issue is that when you sell your game on graphics the pore measuring freaks are going to be what fills up the reviews and YouTube videos, and that's what the messaging is going to be, because when you are that deep into it nothing they do is ever going to be enough.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I have a strong feeling those sales expectations are based off the sales of the Dead Space franchise, cuz expecting 5 million from a brand new IP is bonkers

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Didn't Dead Space famously ALSO massively undersell the crazy high expectations EA had for the latter installments.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

There's an era of the big budget AAA game that I'm quite nostalgic for. I guess it was during the 360 era? When it felt like big releases were on a regular release cadence, everyone was either playing or at least aware of the same things, stuff like midnight launches and exciting hype cycles..

Everything about the Callisto Protocol story I just find exhausting. Who is asking for $160m games? Or games that take 5 years to develop? Or games that require 300 people to work 60 hour weeks? Or games that need to shift 5 million units to justify their existence? Especially when the result is The Callisto Protocol.

I see a "story" is doing the rounds today about Suicide Squad having a Battlepass. Did anyone expect it wouldn't? This is what AAA games look like now. I'm genuinely shocked there are people who are surprised.

Maybe it's amplified even further in the horror space. AAA horror seems to be a genre that people have been clamoring to come back but.. I dunno, man. There are people working in the horror space who are delivering fantastic projects without these crazy expectations or sales pressures, and have been for years.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Can't believe how good we had it when it was just retailer specific pre-order DLC...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

2023 is shaping up to be a pretty big year for AAA horror, with RE4/SH2/DS remakes, that all-new SH project, Alan Wake 2, Dead Island 2 (lol) and a lot of other stuff that while probably not costing $160 million to make are definitely a few steps above indie.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Were they still banking on that old PUBG connection? Alternatively, was the PUBG tie in a desperate attempt to expand the purchase base to meet unreasonable expectations?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The PUBG connection was dropped so quickly it barely existed

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Bumhead posted:

There's an era of the big budget AAA game that I'm quite nostalgic for. I guess it was during the 360 era? When it felt like big releases were on a regular release cadence, everyone was either playing or at least aware of the same things, stuff like midnight launches and exciting hype cycles..

It feels like the technology has matured in a way that makes it hard to get excited for AAA stuff. For a while there it was sort of insane how different things could look from year to year- sometimes within the same year- and it was almost worth it to pay full price for a game that was just good enough in every other respect in order to experience the newest technological lunge forward. I won't lie and say modern improvements to things like graphic fidelity aren't noticeable, but they're also not really viscerally impressive; an expert would have to explain to me the magnitude of the technical achievement I'm seeing in order for me to intellectually comprehend it, but that won't make me any more pumped. It all ends up feeling like an increasing amount of filigree carved by brilliant artisans into the most boring square houses with flat roofs ever constructed, and the cost of the property is doubled because it was added.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 17, 2023

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

dogstile posted:

I mean with Gotham Knights there were also people just lying about complaints, like there were people on the steam forums complaining that they had removed the jump button, despite the Arkham Games not having one.

Bumhead posted:

Or games that take 5 years to develop?

Seriously this is a thing that kills me with sequels. For a lot of games all I want from a sequel is basically an expandalone that continues the story, with maybe some tweaks to the mechanics and bug fixes. There is pretty much no benefit to me as a player when they decide to change the engine, remake the assets etc.

What I'm saying is more games should be like Saints Row 2, The Core Tomb Raider games or the Alone in the Dark trilogy where they keep building on what they already have.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hel posted:

Seriously this is a thing that kills me with sequels. For a lot of games all I want from a sequel is basically an expandalone that continues the story, with maybe some tweaks to the mechanics and bug fixes. There is pretty much no benefit to me as a player when they decide to change the engine, remake the assets etc.

No you have to reinvent something with each iteration to stay fresh and modern, or else the game blogs and Twitter will crucify you as boring and stuck in a rut.

I agree it's one of the most stupid things about the industry but here we are. Not everything has to reinvent, it can just be good for fucks sake.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Good art direction is timeless. It's harder to identify and hold a "quantity" of good gameplay and art direction though so at some point indifferent investors just buy whatever the game director is pitching.

Luckily for us fans we can enjoy this golden age of rapid fire indie gems. He posted while obsessively playing 2D $4 26 bit throwbacks.

Let AAAs rot. Or prosper if they're good, a few can do both.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

so I have no clue why it would be so drat expensive other than mismanagement.

Game companies will never admit they have a project management problem but this is largely it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

I have a strong feeling those sales expectations are based off the sales of the Dead Space franchise, cuz expecting 5 million from a brand new IP is bonkers

it's probably based on internal profitability metrics: even an absolute best case scenario of every sale getting the full $70 (which ain't happening with distributor fees) will still only get you about $140m with 2 million sales, and "just" making the budget back isn't going to make your investors happy

it'd be one thing if callisto was an unprofitable critical success - a loss leading start to a franchise is still a viable path to pursue - but i haven't seen a shred of truly effusive press anywhere, with opinions ranging from "mediocre" to "garbage", and trying to push a brand that's already tainted with the tinge of failure from the go is a tough sell. i think the fact that there's already a 20% steam sale for the thing is pretty goddamn telling

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I saw the 20% sale and my first thought was "guys, charging 70 bucks for your game and then putting it on sale for 56, the price people usually pay for AAA games, isn't going to blow anyone's mind. That wasn't the sticking point here"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The feeling I get is that people would have had been a lot more lenient if TCP was a $30-40 game, which used to exist as a sellable price point and might have even been the original vision for a game like this before it ballooned up.