Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It’s pretty insane I think I had to use one of those revive buffs but it’s well worth it. That game ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mezzanon posted:

And octopath 2

Octopath 2 comes out February 24th, not next week.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Took me two tries honestly but I was kind of careless in the early stages my first try. If you stock up on powerups earlier it's significantly easier

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

Octopath 2 comes out February 24th, not next week.

Yeah I was talking about games coming out this year not specifically next week (although the post I quoted mentions a game coming out next week, so I should have added additional context.

Either way, 2023 shaping up to be another good year for my jrpg/srpg loving rear end.

Hopefully I can keep doing cardio while playing gods chosen console the switch

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Why is Hades still so good

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

mdemone posted:

Why is Hades still so good

Because the industry is stagnant so anything resembling something interesting sticks around

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
You tripping I literally can't keep up w all the cool new games I want to play, then they release 3-10 more every god drat month

Hades is extremely good tho

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Dpulexed again

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

KingSlime posted:

You tripping I literally can't keep up w all the cool new games I want to play, then they release 3-10 more every god drat month

Hades is extremely good tho

Same here.

Granted I'm playing Elden Ring and Genshin Impact again so it's mostly my fault.

Harvestella is fun but I was hoping for more of a Rune Factory flavor. Still good in its own right!
Even though the dialogue choices don't make a difference, it's fun being a weird little jerk.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mezzanon posted:

Either way, 2023 shaping up to be another good year for my jrpg/srpg loving rear end.

Yeah I'm hoping we get some more info on the Suikoden 1&2 remake release date (unless we did and I missed it) as well as a meaningful update on Dragon Quest XII.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
oh no is it Chinese new years? gently caress I never got a confirmation for my NYXI Hyperion joy cons order, maybe this has something to do wth it. Either way I'm gonna e-mail them to see if I get a reply.

Smh this is why I like sticking to US shippers from Amazon but I'm just impatient I guess. Last time I ordered from Amazon I had those bad boys delivered within 2 days, now I'm looking at maybe 15 working days at best. Ah well

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
don't email them

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I mean I need my confirmation email, you would have thought an auto generated one would have come through at least

Man, that unchained echoes game looks really cool. Anyone pick it up on switch? How does it perform?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
1. Why is the Switch nearly six years old and there are shortages of Joy Cons
2. I'm glad you enjoy the pro controller, I prefer Joy Cons

How long has this been going on? I finally got up $80 to replace my failing controller for the third time since 2017 and they're sold out everywhere. Is this routine now for these? It's been about 2.5 years since I last bought them and in 2020 I just walked into BB and grabbed some, now it's a nightmare.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
People keep buying them because they keep breaking.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Wonder if NYXI is going to update their controllers with the hall effect sticks along with releasing their new one with the GC button layout. If I'm going to buy souped up joycons I want hall effect sticks but I don't want the GC layout.

EDIT: Nintendo rumor time maybe the fact that ya stock joycons really are out of stock everywhere I've looked is because they had to retool for updated joycons with hall effect sensors! Souce: my own head which is as reliable as p much all the sites predicting the switch pro release date.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 14, 2023

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The lighting effects of Kirby are so good and fun. What a pretty game.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

EDIT: Nintendo rumor time maybe the fact that ya stock joycons really are out of stock everywhere I've looked is because they had to retool for updated joycons with hall effect sensors!

And they're gonna release them about a month after the internet forgets the hall effect fad because Nintendo gotta Nintendo.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I got four stock joycons back in 2019 and they're all in tip top shape.

Weirdly, one of them was starting to drift, and the R1 button gave out on another, but while I was in that limbo of "yes it's annoying but is it annoying enough to do anything about it," they started woking again.

Don't know if I just got lucky or there are stricter quality assurance regulations in Europe, but joycons can go the distance, at least.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Hall effect sticks aren't a new technology, the Dreamcast controller uses hall effect sticks along with a lot of flight sticks. If joycons were going to have hall effect sticks they would have had them 6 years ago.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

KingSlime posted:

I mean I need my confirmation email, you would have thought an auto generated one would have come through at least

Man, that unchained echoes game looks really cool. Anyone pick it up on switch? How does it perform?

I think it runs just fine. I'm not very sensitive to performance issues though, so I might not be the best person to ask. Great game btw. I'm going through it now.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I could see them adding Hall Effect sticks to the next joycons if the current cost of the free repair program and lawsuits outweigh the cost benefits of using the cheaper assembly. Do we know how much drifting cons affect the bottom line?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I think it runs just fine. I'm not very sensitive to performance issues though, so I might not be the best person to ask. Great game btw. I'm going through it now.

Hell yeah, I mean for a 2d pixel RPG It just needs to run okay. If it was an action game then yeah I might be picky about 60 fps but otherwise, decent performance is fine. I'll take portability over super slick performance when it comes to retro style RPGs

See what I mean though, it's impossible to keep up with all the games I want to play! Anyways. I think I'm going to pick this one up next! It looks so good

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

KingSlime posted:

I think I'm going to pick this one up next! It looks so good

Good choice. I highly recommend it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It's on the list as soon as I clear neon white, about to clear the campaign and I just need to get a few more aces.

Man there's this late game level "marathon" that is absolutely nuts. It's one of the longest levels in the game and it has a dedicated segment for basically every single card/ power in the game. I died so much trying to get through it the first time that by the time I beat it I had already nailed the ace. Most levels have a sub 60 second time for the ace but this one gives you a full 2 mins 30 secs or so, just to give you an idea of how much longer this level is compared to others

Getting through that level was the video game equivalent of an orgasm, probably one of my favorite gaming experiences/ levels in a very very long time. What a freaking rush

Also, I can't believe they were introducing new powers /cards until nearly the very last mission. Such tight game design

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 14, 2023

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'd your joycons are drifting I suggest doing a repair yourself, it's easy after and the joycon I fixed two years ago is still working perfectly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'd your joycons are drifting I suggest doing a repair yourself, it's easy after and the joycon I fixed two years ago is still working perfectly.

Careful with this; I did the repair for my left joycon, no issue. I eventually had to do the right joycon and while I tried my best to be as careful as possible (I had since repaired 2 of my 8bitdo controllers, due to kid wear and tear), something happened that I didn't even notice, and the joycon could no longer be detected by my Switch from anywhere farther than maybe 1'.

It sucked. Man, I tried to be so careful. So repairer-beware.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I got new joycons a couple of years ago and they've been fine compared to the old ones, but last weekend I dropped my left one into a gin and tonic and it hasn't been working since. Feel like this is still Nintendo's fault, that's like 70% water.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

yeah getting water in your electronics is usually bad

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
By this time next year, I'll be playing Wario Kart on my Swiitch

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What if its thirsty?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

EightFlyingCars posted:

i lost my gameboy color in a snowbank and didn't find it again until spring when the snow melted and it was in the ditch in about 2 feet of water and it still works fine aside from the volume control being wonky

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

I don't think that can be true. Humans are 70% water (identical to a gin and tonic) and my Nintendos love when I grip n squeeze.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i lost my gameboy color in a snowbank and didn't find it again until spring when the snow melted and it was in the ditch in about 2 feet of water and it still works fine aside from the volume control being wonky

My cousin left his on their front porch for a couple weeks and it stopped working because of rain damage

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Nothing can kill a Gameboy though, the last time Nintendo made anything durable was the Gamecube.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The fat DS was pretty durable, too bad they used the wrong type of screen or it'd be the best model

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

sigher posted:

Nothing can kill a Gameboy though, the last time Nintendo made anything durable was the Gamecube.

my launch gamecube has an issue where it doesn't usually recognize any controllers except the first and has a 50/50 shot of whether it reads a memory card or sees it as corrupted. i swapped in a new controller + memory card face that was working fine in ny spare gamecube and it still has that issue so something is hosed internally with it.

still better luck that i had with playstations though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

hatty posted:

The fat DS was pretty durable, too bad they used the wrong type of screen or it'd be the best model

Mine fell off a couch and the hinge snapped

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the DS Lite is the champion of Nintendos handhelds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

pwn posted:

1. Why is the Switch nearly six years old and there are shortages of Joy Cons
2. I'm glad you enjoy the pro controller, I prefer Joy Cons

How long has this been going on? I finally got up $80 to replace my failing controller for the third time since 2017 and they're sold out everywhere. Is this routine now for these? It's been about 2.5 years since I last bought them and in 2020 I just walked into BB and grabbed some, now it's a nightmare.

We are also a few weeks out from Christmas, when some people presumably got Switches and may be buying accessories for them