Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

your keyboard has better tinder profile than i do, drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

not enough keys, but cool keyb

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Unsinkabear posted:

Hi friends, I am once again looking for a 65-75% split keyboard that has symmetrical halves I can tent equally, a traditional-ish QWERTY layout, low latency, and legit software/tweakability (so not Kinesis).

Does this exist yet?

Quoting myself here in case someone has different opinions than the other keyboard thread. Anyone have a hot tip?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
keyboardio 101? their firmware has a million customizations

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I was hoping to find something with straight rows so I didn't gently caress up my muscle memory for when I have to use other keyboards, but that is beautiful and not too far off. I'll keep it in mind, thank you

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Unsinkabear posted:

Quoting myself here in case someone has different opinions than the other keyboard thread. Anyone have a hot tip?

moonlander or ergodox via zsa.io, raise or defy via dygma.com. im on dygma raise atm myself, and while the software is clunky (while zsa seems to be literally best ever without writing your own firmware code), it still has allowed me to customize anything i've reached for

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

cinci zoo sniper posted:

moonlander or ergodox via zsa.io, raise or defy via dygma.com. im on dygma raise atm myself, and while the software is clunky (while zsa seems to be literally best ever without writing your own firmware code), it still has allowed me to customize anything i've reached for

Moonlander and Ergodox are quasi-ortholinear boards and can throw muscle memory off if you have to jump back to a normal staggered board. Also the thumb clusters become very useful once you adapt the layout to your tastes and it just adds to the complexity of juggling back and forth.

I love my Ergodox, but I was missing the F-row so I've switched to a 75% Alice (Keychron Q10), and while I have my F-row again... I still kinda miss my thumb clusters. I need a Moonlander or Ergodox XL with an F-row, I guess.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kvantum posted:

Moonlander and Ergodox are quasi-ortholinear boards and can throw muscle memory off if you have to jump back to a normal staggered board. Also the thumb clusters become very useful once you adapt the layout to your tastes and it just adds to the complexity of juggling back and forth.

I love my Ergodox, but I was missing the F-row so I've switched to a 75% Alice (Keychron Q10), and while I have my F-row again... I still kinda miss my thumb clusters. I need a Moonlander or Ergodox XL with an F-row, I guess.

tbh i wasnt sure what they meant with "traditionalish", and kinesis to me looks closer to ortholinear than to qwerty (ive never used). in any case, dygma raise is a staggered split.

i do feel you on the f-keys (and arrow keys for me) anyhow. im making do with this board, but i use non-terminal based applications as well and i really don't want to have to deal with layouts and like 5-key combos for something that is a macos app shortcut for an f-key with 3 modifiers

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

dygma balls

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

is this just an art piece? looks cool, but unusable.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

nah, it’s a fairly trendy style of board. there’s a niche of sub 50-key boards with increasingly esoteric keymaps through things like layers or chords, as you walk down the number. i think most of them suck for doing programming, but for typing natural text they’re no worse than a phone keyboard made physical would be

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

nah, it’s a fairly trendy style of board. there’s a niche of sub 50-key boards with increasingly esoteric keymaps through things like layers or chords, as you walk down the number. i think most of them suck for doing programming, but for typing natural text they’re no worse than a phone keyboard made physical would be

I don't know how you can stand a keyboard without a full layout including the number pad.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

I don't know how you can stand a keyboard without a full layout including the number pad.

i can stand a layout without a number pad, which i don't use at all that frequently, but further cuts are harsh for me personally. lack of f keys and arrow keys i'm finding barely tolerable, for instance, since i have a 2x1 yard desk that doesn't require the 5 square inches of space saved by them being gone

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I touch type numbers on the pad. Laptops are kind of annoying because I don't have the number row in muscle memory.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i can stand a layout without a number pad, which i don't use at all that frequently, but further cuts are harsh for me personally. lack of f keys and arrow keys i'm finding barely tolerable, for instance, since i have a 2x1 yard desk that doesn't require the 5 square inches of space saved by them being gone

using a layer to access f keys isn’t that bad. took a few days to get used to but honestly i don’t use them that much in general

65% is about as small as i could do still need arrow keys

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my k6 is about as small as i will go. i have a k12 too but it's best for strictly Posting. turns out i use the arrow keys more than i thought and fn+something else is a little awk

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Kvantum posted:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

tbh i wasnt sure what they meant with "traditionalish", and kinesis to me looks closer to ortholinear than to qwerty (ive never used). in any case, dygma raise is a staggered split.

i do feel you on the f-keys (and arrow keys for me) anyhow. im making do with this board, but i use non-terminal based applications as well and i really don't want to have to deal with layouts and like 5-key combos for something that is a macos app shortcut for an f-key with 3 modifiers

Yeah, I could have been more clear there, sorry. I was just allowing for weird bottom row stuff with the "ish."

I don't know about all of Kinesis' stuff, but the Freestyle Edge or whatever it is that gets recommended commonly is standard staggered QWERTY. I like the Dygma Raise a lot, something like that with an F row would be basically perfect, and I'd settle for a version without. Dygma is just a little too rich for my blood. :smith:

Since the split market doesn't have what I want in any tiers I can afford, I went completely rogue and got a Corsair K65 RGB Mini to test out 60% instead

akadajet posted:

I don't know how you can stand a full keyboard. Half the reason I'm on this train is that the shoulder spread those things make you do is terrible ergonomics, and I find bumping my mouse on the side of the keyboard when turning around in games to be infuriating (I keep the mouse on 800dpi sensitivity for FPS muscle memory). In addition to ergo benefits, splits let you push the right side away when playing instead of typing.

akadajet posted:

I touch type numbers on the pad. Laptops are kind of annoying because I don't have the number row in muscle memory.

And I prefer a discrete number pad on the left side, if at all. Having it on the right is literally a relic of pre-mouse times.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm curious how much I'll miss my arrow keys, I feel like I never use them. I feel you on the F row, though. Even as someone who wants to minimize width, I don't get why dropping the F row is so popular. There's no ergo benefit at all and it would take an incredibly tiny desk for that height difference to matter. It's just giving up functionally for the sake of giving up functionally. :shrug:

Compact 75% with a numpad/macro pad on the left is The Way, imo. Which reminds me, I need to look for a numpad with a knob I can use for volume control. It is a silly thing, but think I'm gonna miss having that on the main board.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 15, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

ah, i have the number row in muscle memory from games

Blinkz0rz posted:

using a layer to access f keys isn’t that bad. took a few days to get used to but honestly i don’t use them that much in general

65% is about as small as i could do still need arrow keys

almost a year later i can still barely stand layer access for f keys, and ive de facto dropped a chunk of keyboard shortcuts as an undesirable side effect to this

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I have my F-keys on a layer on my right hand home row keys and the row above and below, numbers on the left hand. Took a minute to get acclimated but now it's as natural as anything else and I've got the layer hold keys on Z and / so I never need to leave the main three rows to hit them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

InternetOfTwinks posted:

I have my F-keys on a layer on my right hand home row keys and the row above and below, numbers on the left hand. Took a minute to get acclimated but now it's as natural as anything else and I've got the layer hold keys on Z and / so I never need to leave the main three rows to hit them.

my f keys are on number row, with thumb cluster layer key, and i hate that i have to use layer to access some of the most commonly used keys for >50% of my computer use time

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i just use a regular keyboard instead of chopping off keys for no reason like a complete psychopath

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

60% works okay as long as you can map caps lock to fn but it’s admittedly less functional than a regular tenkeyless. I still like mine because it gives me more mousing space when I’m playing a game.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my f keys are on number row, with thumb cluster layer key, and i hate that i have to use layer to access some of the most commonly used keys for >50% of my computer use time

i gotta know what f keys you use that often. like, i’m sure i’m missing some excellent shortcuts ‘cause on my windows machine i basically only use f2 and f4 with others occasionally

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blinkz0rz posted:

i gotta know what f keys you use that often. like, i’m sure i’m missing some excellent shortcuts ‘cause on my windows machine i basically only use f2 and f4 with others occasionally

f5

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Blinkz0rz posted:

i just use keyboard shortcuts in various software and games

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Oh F5 I use often enough I have it on a mouse button and also on a key in my regular layer

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

ctrl-r?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bad vibes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

wrong take

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

wrong take

why tf would i pres 2 butan when i can pres 1

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Captain Foo posted:

why tf would i pres 2 butan when i can pres 1

because then you can keep your hands in the same place over the homing keys instead of flying around your desk like you're Mister Miyagi.

akadajet posted:

I used this board all week. I even got a carrying case so I could tote it back and forth to work.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

because then you can keep your hands in the same place over the homing keys instead of flying around your desk like you're Mister Miyagi.

how small are your hands? my index finger reaches f5 from home row

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how small are your hands? my index finger reaches f5 from home row

but why would you want to if you can keep your fingers closer?

the whole point of smaller keyboards is less reaching

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

meanwhile i'm using a layer that's accessible via one of the center cluster buttons on my ergodox to control the mouse with my keyboard. makes browsing a breeze imo and i don't have to move my fingers from the home row

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sentences uttered by the deranged

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

sorry gramps

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
imagine having all the space in the world but choosing to use what is effectively a bad laptop keyboard. smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Instead of stretching uncomfortably for keys, and instead of making a keyboard smaller and smaller, what they should do is curve the keyboard up and around so you have all the keys you need, but they're all reachable. You could use basically like two bowl shapes with the keys inside the bowl and you could call the keyboard the kinesis advantage 2 for example.