Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Just lol if your sports grudges aren't all decades old, involving long-since retired players.

e: gently caress YOU Steve Webb and Cam Janssen you pieces of poo poo!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

Just lol if your sports grudges aren't all decades old, involving long-since retired players.

Yeah

and gently caress off forever, Dave Steckel

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

eXXon posted:

Phil Housley sucked

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Devils are a team I've been sort of rooting for the past few seasons because they've got exciting young players and have been bad for a while. In just half a season their fans destroyed all that good will by being annoying online. Which is fine, they should enjoy their team and all that, but I don't like them anymore and I hope they fail.

Their "I'm not mad please don't say online I'm mad" schtick the last time the Jackets played them was comical.

"LOL welp hope Johnny enjoys finishing last this year NO WE HAVEN'T THOUGHT ABOUT THAT TRASH-rear end TEAM SINCE HE DIDN'T SIGN HERE WHY DO YOU ASK?"

eXXon posted:

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah

and gently caress off forever, Dave Steckel

God drat, Adam Foote going "I'll re-sign here for $500,000 more per but, if not, trade me back to only team I'll accept a trade to and oh, by the way, I already have a jet chartered and have already shipped my stuff to the site of their next game" was 15 years ago.

Howson sucked but a 1st and 4th for ^that^ was robbery.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

eXXon posted:

POTVIN SUCKS!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I get that it's probably annoying but any fanbase who's team has been a boring laughingstock for basically 10 years and has been patiently awaiting a rebuild that has been teased/gone wrong multiple times, and then sees everything finally come together and the team is now young and awesome... that fanbase deserves to be annoying about how fun and good their team is.

If like the Coyotes finally start tearing poo poo up with a young core in a few years, I encourage their fans to be as annoying as possible because they've endured garbage for so long

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

I will never forgive Wes Walz and Darby Hendrickson for ruining my youth

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Devils are a team I've been sort of rooting for the past few seasons because they've got exciting young players and have been bad for a while. In just half a season their fans destroyed all that good will by being annoying online. Which is fine, they should enjoy their team and all that, but I don't like them anymore and I hope they fail.

Where are they annoying online more than every other Metro team?

If you're going to root for them to fail, do it because they're knowingly icing someone who committed sexual assault allegedly maybe probably.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I'm still mad at New Jersey for playing the boringest style of hockey for like 20 years.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I'm still mad at New Jersey for playing the boringest style of hockey for like 20 years.

This is one of the worst cliches in hockey. Yes the 2003 team was boring, but the Devils teams of like, 2009 and 2012 had a lot of scoring and were fun teams to watch, and the famous 1995 and 2000 teams, well, we don't have to go through that AGAIN do we (they scored a lot of goals, like a lot)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

e: ^^ You can score a lot of goals and still be boring and stifling as hell to watch.

eXXon posted:

My NJ hatred is a combination of this:

Spelling Mitsake posted:

And their fans lovingly embracing Scott Stevens while he gave every player CTE and ended careers. They still owe every other teams fans more than a single decade of mediocrity before being good and I wont stand for it. :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just don't like the state.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost
The Blue Jackets stuff was mostly because it led to a summer of "how bad must NJ be for JG to pick COLUMBUS." Most preseason predictions had Columbus ahead of us too.

Chad Sexington posted:

If you're going to root for them to fail, do it because they're knowingly icing someone who committed sexual assault allegedly maybe probably.

IF GOD drat HOCKEY CANADA EVER RELEASES THE REPORT WE CAN BE DONE WITH HIM

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I hated the devils before it was cool.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
if the devils hadnt invented the trap some other team would have
never underestimate the ability of NHL coaches to suck the fun out of hockey

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

clean ayers act posted:

never underestimate the ability of NHL coaches to suck the fun out of hockey

Paul Maurice described in one sentence? :v:

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

The trap sucked rear end but Scott Stevens giving people life altering brain scramblers on the reg fuckin rocked

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

devils fans have been especially annoying this year due to their insistence on explaining to everyone how not-annoying they are instead of simply embracing their dumb lovely fans like most of the other metro teams.

anyway, they are a paper tiger with a bunch of soft euros up front. they stink!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

crashlanding posted:

Yeah but how are they in grit/60?

18th with 8:50 in PIM per game :)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Should we mention all the teams where it isn't even close? I'm not talking about the devils specifically.

Wow it's like you don't understand how expected goals work at all....and how to apply it. Maybe the problem is that and not the formulation. Would you like another 5 pages worth of :words: to skip over and miss how it's supposed to work?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
please post your expected goals thesis thank you

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I expect some loving goals and then sometimes they don't and I get mad.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Avs are doing the next generation night where a bunch of kids do the broadcast and had kids draw the player portraits
https://twitter.com/Peter_Baugh/status/1614406715977641984

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

fermun posted:

Avs are doing the next generation night where a bunch of kids do the broadcast and had kids draw the player portraits
https://twitter.com/Peter_Baugh/status/1614406715977641984

Girard has some serious Napoleon Dynamite vibes.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

rex rabidorum vires posted:

18th with 8:50 in PIM per game :)

Wow it's like you don't understand how expected goals work at all....and how to apply it. Maybe the problem is that and not the formulation. Would you like another 5 pages worth of :words: to skip over and miss how it's supposed to work?

I think the reason most people disregard these advanced stats is the condescension/smugness of the people who post about them more than anything

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

WeaponX posted:

devils fans have been especially annoying this year due to their insistence on explaining to everyone how not-annoying they are instead of simply embracing their dumb lovely fans like most of the other metro teams.

anyway, they are a paper tiger with a bunch of soft euros up front. they stink!

They're gonna get bounced in the playoffs but say "it was a learning experience, they'll be back and better next year!" and then next year they're gonna struggle for most of it and maybe turn it on to sneak into the playoffs where it's 50/50 whether they'll actually do better or just flame out again

that's how it goes with young exciting teams you can't change fate

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Levitate posted:

They're gonna get bounced in the playoffs but say "it was a learning experience, they'll be back and better next year!" and then next year they're gonna struggle for most of it and maybe turn it on to sneak into the playoffs where it's 50/50 whether they'll actually do better or just flame out again

Or they hire Paul Maurice and trade Dougie Hamilton and Erik Haula for Pierre Luc-Dubois and everything works perfectly

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

I expect some loving goals and then they don't and I get mad.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Listen the worst fans are definitely me but the devils fans are also bad + not handsome

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

eXXon posted:

Brett Hull :argh:

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
gently caress claude lemieux

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

I will never forgive Wes Walz and Darby Hendrickson for ruining my youth

I will never stop being happy about this. We almost named a kid Darby.

(Should have just done it.)

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

eXXon posted:

I will never forgive Hossa for carving Berard's eye out. gently caress that piece of poo poo. gently caress Alfredsson and gently caress Hasek too. My feelings towards the Bruins are nothing compared to how much younger me hated Ottawa though the Hasek hate is from the 99 playoffs.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

N: Columbus sure tried hard to lose after taking a 4-0 lead, but just couldn't seal the deal.

V: For those hoping to see Patrik Laine sock dingers:
https://twitter.com/BallySportsCBUS/status/1614421018185007107?t=4L2j4YxnSk7PzMnCMu8VLQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/BallySportsCBUS/status/1614422426145722368?t=KUF39vU-UUr6taqcWW7aDw&s=19
https://twitter.com/BallySportsCBUS/status/1614428416907874305?t=-wTMU2jBCePilIyFVWB15A&s=19

Patty good. Johnny2Patty better.

Levitate posted:

They'll also be analytics darlings as has become annual tradition and Dom et al will sanctimoniously try to prove how smart they are by saying "no, really, THIS is the year!".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 15, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

how the hell is Joe Pavelski better at 38 than he was at 28

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/IanKennedyCK/status/1614433393004912642?s=20
the nhl is gonna get so many viewers! from being on tucker carlson:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

clean ayers act posted:

Theo Fleury is about to make an rear end of himself again

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

CBJSprague24 posted:

N: Columbus sure tried hard to lose after taking a 4-0 lead, but just couldn't seal the deal.

V: For those hoping to see Patrik Laine sock dingers:
https://twitter.com/BallySportsCBUS/status/1614421018185007107?t=4L2j4YxnSk7PzMnCMu8VLQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/BallySportsCBUS/status/1614422426145722368?t=KUF39vU-UUr6taqcWW7aDw&s=19
https://twitter.com/BallySportsCBUS/status/1614428416907874305?t=-wTMU2jBCePilIyFVWB15A&s=19

Patty good. Johnny2Patty better.

They'll also be analytics darlings as has become annual tradition and Dom et al will sanctimoniously try to prove how smart they are by saying "no, really, THIS is the year!".

Interesting. I heard Laine is a one dimensional bust.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Peter Laviolette galaxy brained himself into scratching Dylan Strome tonight which is really stupid. I feel like he’s a good coach when it comes to strategy but his personnel decision are friggin stupid as hell.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

clean ayers act posted:

Didn’t Carlson already go after the NHL once this year for some nonsense reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
it's the normal state of things for Devils fans to be aggressively asserting that their team is, in fact, good. for years they heard how they weren't actually good, they just trapped and clutched and grabbed and killed hockey. it's also loving New Jersey, everyone even marginally associated with that state has a massive chip on their shoulder at all times.

as someone with more reason to dislike the Devils than pretty much anyone though, you don't need to just make poo poo up. just hating them from New Jersey is enough. this is true:

fawning deference posted:

This is one of the worst cliches in hockey. Yes the 2003 team was boring, but the Devils teams of like, 2009 and 2012 had a lot of scoring and were fun teams to watch, and the famous 1995 and 2000 teams, well, we don't have to go through that AGAIN do we (they scored a lot of goals, like a lot)

but even the '03 team was not as boring as the '04 Flames, who may have actually caused the lockout, or the 90s Sabres who were the epitome of clutch-and-grab. the 2001 Devils team led the league in goals! the 99 team was second! they scored more goals in '94 than the Rangers, lol.

the trap has also been played for-loving-ever. Lemaire and Robinson played it on the 70s dynasty Canadien teams, and there's literally only so many ways to play defensive in the neutral zone. pretty much most teams played it, it's just that the Devils and Red Wings were very good at it. and even the Sabres were good at using it along with insane hooking and interference. this thread loved the 2010/Vigneault Canucks teams, but one of the reasons I was happy when the Rangers hired AV is that Vigneault had those teams running a phenomenal trap.

i genuinely think a lot of this thread + most hockey fans in general saw a team that was very good defensively with a very good goalie and two of the best defensemen of all time and just reflexively said "drat that team must be doing something crazy. they've solved hockey with this unbeatable strategy. it sucks that the team I root for won't try to also do that system that apparently unlocks defensive super powers from Randy McKay and Mike loving Peluso."

they suck because they're New Jersey! New Jersey sucks poo poo, smells, and the people are petty and rude and insane! not because they invented playing defense in the neutral zone lmfao