Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I gotta say I do not care for the passive aggressive energy in the thread. It is okay to like games, y'all.

Torrannor posted:

Which game are you talking about? A game from 1993 that had a remake 15 years later? I'm not getting it :(

Tactics Ogre: Reborn, which is a enhanced port of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for the PSP, which is a remake of the SNES game of the same name.

EDIT: Oh drat it my dumb post is on the top of the next page :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Endorph posted:

well most of the dudes are there for otome game stuff but this happened once

had to crop this image due to a surprising amount of dude rear end

I correct my statement then, it will have more gay endings in general and we'll also get a CG of Vander in a bathtowel.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Unlucky7 posted:

I gotta say I do not care for the passive aggressive energy in the thread. It is okay to like games, y'all.

Tactics Ogre: Reborn, which is a enhanced port of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for the PSP, which is a remake of the SNES game of the same name.

EDIT: Oh drat it my dumb post is on the top of the next page :gonk:

Gotta be honest, I'd be so much more excited about a Final Fantasy Tactics remake. By the way, the SA Let Us Cling Together LP finally finished the main story. Everybody who likes Tactics Ogre should check it out!

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Delphisage posted:

I wish RevolverDivide was here. I have a question to ask him.

The really bad game that everyone bashes for the story is really just Fates. Awakening, New Mystery, Echoes, Three Houses and Radiant Dawn also have issues that people needle at, but not nearly as much as people criticize Fates.

?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

also honestly i enjoy three houses but i think people really forget how terrible the minute-to-minute plotting can be in it at times. like how in deer and silver snow dimitri just kinda dies off screen and it isnt a fakeout, one of the main characters just falls off a cliff stage left. they couldnt even animate an in engine cutscene of edelgard swinging her axe at him and him falling over dead?

that bit owns tho

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I'm mostly fine with Dimitri's off screen death in theory in Deer and Snow because without anyone to reign him in he was always just going to mindlessly rampage around trying to murder people until he got himself killed. The execution is pretty clunky though.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

RevolverDivider posted:

lol at playing Fire Emblem for plot. That is a hilarious fool's errand when it comes to FE considering we haven't had a noteworthy plot since the SNES games. We've had some good casts, but what are you doing if you don't skip the cutscenes after your first run in any FE game. You're in the wrong series if you're here for plot.

Do you still hold the "I skip all cutscenes" and "FE hasn't had a noteworthy plot since the SNES" sentiments after Echoes and Three Houses?

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 15, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

RuBisCO posted:

I would buy a dozen copies and give them away to strangers on the street if this was true

Yeah that's the sort of thing that would get me to buy it immediately.

Endorph posted:

crimson flower was a last minute addition which really shows how much of a scramble three houses was because can you imagine that game *without* crimson flower lmao

Yeah ultimately that's the thing Crimson Flower is so good, it's 3H to me. I've replayed it like 3-4 times at this point, without touching the other routes. I tried, but I never could do AG or VW, I'd get to like chapter 7 and just be like I don't want to fight against Edelgard, time to quit and do CF again. Even with character depth, I can't imagine a super polished AG, because it'd feel like FE4 again only Arvis was even more right than he already was.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Delphisage posted:

Do you still stand by the "I skip all cutscenes" and "FE hasn't had a noteworthy plot since the SNES" statements after Echoes and Three Houses?

good lord that was five years ago.

Sorta. I'm very fond of Three Houses's narrative despite its many issues and I think Edelgard is the best protagonist in the series. I still like Thracia and Genealogy but Three Houses has an extremely strong core and concept compared to most of the series. Echoes has great production values for the 3DS and fantastic voice work but the plot is still extremely forgettable and not something I'm going to bother watching cutscenes in on subsequent playthroughs.

Still skipping most scenes in subsequent playthrough in Three Houses, but there's at least some new stuff there I want to see in different routes. I'm still going to skip cutscenes on repeated playthroughs obviously and I'm never going to bother with Silver Snow because there's no reason to pick it over Edelgard or Claude.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Call me crazy but I think Silver Snow works better than Verdant Wind. Not a lot of the plot beats make sense from the perspective of the golden deer, and a lot of it makes sense for the Church with Byleth in the driver seat (kinda... Having to lean on Seteth)

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Deltasquid posted:

Call me crazy but I think Silver Snow works better than Verdant Wind. Not a lot of the plot beats make sense from the perspective of the golden deer, and a lot of it makes sense for the Church with Byleth in the driver seat (kinda... Having to lean on Seteth)

SS was supposed to be the only story, so it's inevitable it'd be the one with the least shoehorned progression.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh i dont think arvis was that right

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Delphisage posted:

SS was supposed to be the only story, so it's inevitable it'd be the one with the least shoehorned progression.

Boy what a difference experience that'd have been for me (I have never played silver snow)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think silver snow was ever meant to be the only story, the game was always initially planned with the route split. its that the black eagles route didnt have the silver snow/crimson flower route split.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Deltasquid posted:

Yeah I agree with this in theory, Verdant Wind is a huge loving mess that Claude is barely relevant in. It's one of the best elements of Three Hopes that they actually gave Claude a story.

In practice though Seteth and Byleth are just insanely boring to lead the plot together with and at least Claude is a fun guy and the Deer are the second best house. If Byleth was a bit more of a fleshed out character or even the way Three Hopes writes them Silver Snow would be a lot more tolerable.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Deltasquid posted:

You're not really wrong.

A lot of what Claude does never really makes sense for him, why is he invading the Empire? Why is he trying to free Rhea? To get answers to questions he has no real reason to care about when she's been deposed? It's all a product of VW being copy pasted from SS.

And then of course, the last bosses of VW and SS are the wrong way around which also doesn't help.

All of the stuff that Claude does makes a bunch more sense when you're just Byleth and Seteth.

It's then, of course, held in contrast to the loving tour de force that is Hopes Claude who loving rules.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

RevolverDivider posted:

I'm mostly fine with Dimitri's off screen death in theory in Deer and Snow because without anyone to reign him in he was always just going to mindlessly rampage around trying to murder people until he got himself killed. The execution is pretty clunky though.

Agreed. I like the idea that a person who’s a major player in one route might be little more than an afterthought in another. I think it might have been better if Dimitri had gotten a little more screentime independent of Edelgard before his ignominious end — maybe Claude tries to negotiate with him a chapter or two before Gronder but gives it up as pointless once he realizes how batshit he is — but him actually getting chucked out of the story without a big confrontation or famous last words feels like a natural conclusion for him in Verdant Wind.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The truth is it will be revealed IntSys also did nothing on Engage, except this time it will have been made by Gust and have more lesbian endings than every single game in the series together.

(Disclaimer: I never played Atelier so not sure how much male gay it has).

Screenshots from the art book have been posted online. The game uses Unity and not the engine Gust uses, also no mentions of Gust or Koei-Tecmo in the IP section of the book, so most likely Gust involvement is very low or Gust didn't work on the game at all.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah Silver Snow was the first story from which the rest of the game sprouted. "What if you had a lord who you then had to fight."

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

well most of the dudes are there for otome game stuff but this happened once

had to crop this image due to a surprising amount of dude rear end

ty mel kishida

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think one of the big issues with 3H's writing is that it struggles to come up with a reason for the Kingdom and Alliance come to blows.

Houses has Dimitri go batshit, which, fine if you're not on his route.

But all Hopes can do it butcher Claude's character and turn him into Edelgard's mini-me instead of giving Claude organic reasons of his own to pick a fight with the neighbor that didn't invade his nation in a war of imperialist conquest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hopes gives Claude plenty of reason to attack Dimitri.

Rhea is there.

If Dimitri wins the war against the empire, Rhea locks Fodlan back up again and Claude is hosed.

His entire invasion of Faerghus is because he wants to ice Rhea. His alliance with Edelgard is perfectly sensible because there is literally no conflict between their objectives about Fodlan.

Edelgard only invades Leceister to keep them out of play and because she doesn't trust anyone. When it becomes apparent that she can't take them off the board, she comes to the negotiating table and it turns out that she and Claude would work really well together.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

not a bot posted:

Screenshots from the art book have been posted online. The game uses Unity and not the engine Gust uses, also no mentions of Gust or Koei-Tecmo in the IP section of the book, so most likely Gust involvement is very low or Gust didn't work on the game at all.

Yeah, it was mostly a joke based on the leaks that said Gust helped develop the game.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Hopes Claude would probably be my favorite lord in the series if Edelgard did not exist.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I think one of the big issues with 3H's writing is that it struggles to come up with a reason for the Kingdom and Alliance come to blows.

Houses has Dimitri go batshit, which, fine if you're not on his route.

But all Hopes can do it butcher Claude's character and turn him into Edelgard's mini-me instead of giving Claude organic reasons of his own to pick a fight with the neighbor that didn't invade his nation in a war of imperialist conquest.

frankly hopes is the only time claude's had a character

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

houses claude: haha... imagine if i had to something shady. i wont do. but imagine if i did. bye.
hopes claude: i am actually doing something shady

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Deltasquid posted:

You're crazy, nothing makes sense from the church's side either. Everything involving the former black eagles, and while Claude fighting nemesis as the final boss is weird, why are you fighting Rhea a *month* after the penultimate chapter in Church route??

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Endorph posted:

frankly hopes is the only time claude's had a character

I liked him in Houses as the friendly guy who doesn't take anyone's word about anything, doesn't jump to conclusions, and is patient about working things out when he knows he doesn't fully grasp the situation. The guy without Dimitri's neuroses or Edelgard's sociopathy.

I always took his poo poo about being shady as just a false smokescreen he was throwing up because he was used to faking being dangerous, and he didn't realize he didn't need to bother.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

RevolverDivider posted:

Hopes Claude would probably be my favorite lord in the series if Edelgard did not exist.

My favourite Lord is as close to a three way tie as you can get between those two and Lucina.

Lucy is in some ways less complex but they play her survivor's guilt really well and I love her for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

edelgard isnt even remotely a sociopath you cant just throw mental illnesses at a character you dont like, thats weird

shes entirely motivated by other people and protecting their rights and her own sense of morality. im not saying you have to like her or agree with her but do you even know what sociopathy is or is it just an Evil Word

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Natural 20 posted:

My favourite Lord is as close to a three way tie as you can get between those two and Lucina.

Lucy is in some ways less complex but they play her survivor's guilt really well and I love her for it.

I'm really down on Awakening compared to most people but Lucina's really cool.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
silver snow is the emotional core of the original story they concepted, and it makes sense they started with it.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Endorph posted:

crimson flower was a last minute addition which really shows how much of a scramble three houses was because can you imagine that game *without* crimson flower lmao
yeah we're lucky that 3h ended up as good as it did really (even given its major flaws). their original idea seemed to just be "it would be a cool twist if one of the main lords was the villain" which sure, that's a decent starting point but idk why they decided to awkwardly combine that with the multiple routes gimmick without even originally intending to do the natural thing and show the conflict from multiple sides.

Deltasquid posted:

that's fairly understandable because they wrote silver snow first

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Even as awkward as VW copy pasting it with Claude shoved in was, I think it works better than Silver Snow because Silver Snow doesn't really work at all for me.

Byleth doesn't really work as the sole main character instead of the pillar of support for the Lords, and Seteth also doesn't really fill the role that well because he's also pretty much a second-in-command sort, and it doesn't really lean into them being a pair of lieutenants without a leader. They don't really have a goal other than "get Rhea back." Byleth suddenly becoming Eternal God Emperor/Empress of Fodlan at the end feels even more random. It doesn't even really do the "oh no you must fight Edelgard after having her as your Lord earlier how sad" thing all that well because aside from a single cutscene in ch13 she doesn't really get any more screentime or focus than in the other non-CF routes. Hell, you even skip one of the two fights with her both other routes get because you sit out Gronder.

It only kind of works, to me, if you lean into it as the bad route. You killed Edelgard, Claude hosed back off to Almyra forever, Dimitri died at Gronder soaked in imperial blood and screaming about skull thrones, and now the continent is ruled by someone who has no real personal goal or ideology beyond "perpetuate the system Rhea put in place, but without the part where she pretended not to be the secret ruler of the continent." Bad end. Go pick a real route and try again.

The version we got is just Verdant Wind But Worse and the only reasons to play it are for the sake of seeing the minor difference and single unique map (hi5 completionist brainworms buddy), because you either missed the chance to or are unwilling to commit to the revolution (coward) or because you're horny for the dragon pope (valid).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

three houses is about as much a collection of completely random half-finished ideas as fates is, its just the base writing quality is way better and it isnt as desperate to be liked

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
I wonder how much more complete three houses would feel if they cut it back to just two routes. Consolidate the deer into crimson flower similar to how three hopes has edelgard and claude decide they can be allies and then just have Dimitri still go full raging zerker and end up with the church mainly out of convenience for his revenge.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think its good the 3H routes don't all fit neatly together even if Claude drew the short straw and is kinda boring. But that's how it goes sometimes.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
One of the reasons I’m kind of okay with Engage’s story being a ‘step back’ in terms of the story is that we’ve had like half a decade now of underbaked ‘ambitious’ games that try to do too much and end up suffering for it.

I’m really looking forward to just having a game that doesn’t leave me wishing they had more time or money because of all the potential that had to be left on the cutting room floor.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

three houses is about as much a collection of completely random half-finished ideas as fates is, its just the base writing quality is way better and it isnt as desperate to be liked

It's funny, because Fates's horrible "the war between the kingdoms and every other problem was actually being caused by the evil manipulations of the invisible third kingdom led by a psychotic dragon" schtick is almost the same poo poo conceptually as Houses' "the war between the countries and almost every other problem was actually being caused by the evil manipulations of the underground mole people with nukes" schtick.

Fates is, in a lot of ways, basically a shoddy test platform for 3H.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Both Fates and Three Houses are extrapolations of Radiant Dawn’s concept of “nations in futile conflict; sympathetic people on both sides; everyone would be better off if they settled their differences and worked together against a common foe,” they just use route splits instead of a shifting perspective through a single route.

I’m frankly a little exhausted of this premise and am glad that Engage appears to be taking a break from it.