Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

ROFL Octopus posted:

I thought Fury Cutter and Rage were worth using as a kid

Whitney's Miltank taught a whole generation of kids exactly the wrong lesson about the move Rollout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Darox posted:

Shadow Claw has a bigger damage number and is therefore better. 70 > 50, that's just math. This is how I judged every move as a child and why my teams were filled with hydropumps, fireblasts & thunders.

Scarlet is the first Pokémon game where, at 32 years old, I started paying attention to physical and special moves

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m 34 years old and I beat Violet mostly spamming Play Rough, because I am lazy and dumb

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Darox posted:

Shadow Claw has a bigger damage number and is therefore better. 70 > 50, that's just math. This is how I judged every move as a child and why my teams were filled with hydropumps, fireblasts & thunders.
Me too! And that's how I got an intuitive grasp of statistics as a child. 80% may mean something will probably happen, but if you're doing it with any regularity you do not want to be counting on a mere 80%.

HD DAD posted:

I’m 34 years old and I beat Violet mostly spamming Play Rough, because I am lazy and dumb
Me too! And that is how I got a new perspective on statistics as an adult. 90% is also really frustrating! You can kind of rely on it in a way that you can't for 80%, but there's a huge difference between a 90% move and a 100% move, particularly when the situation is close enough that hitting in a particular round really matters.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
yeah anything less then 100% accuracy just always finds a way to fail on me and Im usually fine with that sort of thing in XCom.

one of my favorite moves of all time is Swift!
always accurate under normal conditions, you get it way early, 60 power is really not too shabby, Normal typing, its compatible on sooo many SpAtk Pokemons. lot to love!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

HD DAD posted:

TBF outside of 90% acc Play Rough is the best physical move of an amazing type.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

TBF outside of 90% acc Play Rough is the best physical move of an amazing type.

Also makes for one of the most hilarious interactions in Gen 8.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Eiba posted:

Me too! And that is how I got a new perspective on statistics as an adult. 90% is also really frustrating! You can kind of rely on it in a way that you can't for 80%, but there's a huge difference between a 90% move and a 100% move, particularly when the situation is close enough that hitting in a particular round really matters.
I liked how I got a Wide Lens for Educated the Maushold because of Play Rough and Super Fang (which I use for capturing because geez the number of mons that can learn False Swipe is a lot lower than I'd hope) and then I went "wait hold on, this is going to be insanely good for Population Bomb when Educated finally learns that..."

Although saying that, by your logic a 99% move is even worse than a 90% move...

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Paul.Power posted:

I liked how I got a Wide Lens for Educated the Maushold because of Play Rough and Super Fang (which I use for capturing because geez the number of mons that can learn False Swipe is a lot lower than I'd hope) and then I went "wait hold on, this is going to be insanely good for Population Bomb when Educated finally learns that..."

Funnily enough, a 10 hit Wide Lens Population Bomb has 90% accuracy! Without Wide Lens it's only 30% chance of the 10 hits. (It hits until it misses so it's acc squared to 10)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Paul.Power posted:

I was using Maushold and Super Fang for capturing before I got hold of a Breloom with Spore thanks to this thread's advice. Anthracite the rock-tera Breloom learned False Swipe and has been my main capturer ever since.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Paul.Power posted:

This one's "Paradox Pokémon":

just wanted to say I appreciate this

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The sleeping animations are so good :allears:

A little disappointed they aren't used in battle

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the difference between 90% and 100% is infinite

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

indigi posted:

the difference between 90% and 100% is infinite

90% is the new 85%

Focus Miss now has some new friends

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Coverage is almost meaningless since you can pick your type matchups and the AI can't adapt to them. That said, both these guys can learn Screech, which might be more useful on a "Sweeper," and Life Orb is going to hurt you more than help - usually it's worth it because 30% more attack is worth 10% of your health, but that's proportionately a much worse tradeoff against a boss with 25x its normal health.

I would have agreed with you on life orb but each of them gets an attack that recovers half the damage done as healing. Their life bars are so large as long as I have the type advantage I sit at full life the whole time except when the shield is up, and I get through the shield a good deal faster with the life orb. That's also 15% more healing I get back every hit. When the shield isn't up I am back at max life after every hit anyway, so the life orb damage is pretty meaningless.

Screech doesn't work at all when the shield is up, and existing effects automatically gets wiped off when the shield goes up, which the only part of the fight that really matters it seems to me. This is also why screech is bad compared to shilling water/spirit break and similar.

This is of course on a level 100 mon with max EVs and perfect stats. It would likely be far less effective if it didn't have that.

wizard2 posted:

one of my favorite moves of all time is Swift!
always accurate under normal conditions, you get it way early, 60 power is really not too shabby, Normal typing, its compatible on sooo many SpAtk Pokemons. lot to love!

And it goes to 90 power on a mon with Technician!

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 14, 2023

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

BitBasher posted:

shilling water
drat those fuckers at the auction house

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hey folks I need some breeding advice. I caught a dusk form lycanroc and I just want to ask is it possible to breed one of these with the nature I want? I heard you need to have the Dusk lycanroc hold an everstone to pass this trait down but that makes it hard to breed for an ideal nature. Has that changed?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Flopsy posted:

Hey folks I need some breeding advice. I caught a dusk form lycanroc and I just want to ask is it possible to breed one of these with the nature I want? I heard you need to have the Dusk lycanroc hold an everstone to pass this trait down but that makes it hard to breed for an ideal nature. Has that changed?

Dusk Lycanroc will only breed Own Tempo Rockruff, you're good.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

Dusk Lycanroc will only breed Own Tempo Rockruff, you're good.

So if i give it a destiny knot and my ditto an everstone this trait will pass down okay?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Flopsy posted:

So if i give it a destiny knot and my ditto an everstone this trait will pass down okay?

If the Ditto is the nature you want, it should yeah

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

If the Ditto is the nature you want, it should yeah

Alright, thanks for the heads up this makes things a lot easier.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Potato Salad posted:

just wanted to say I appreciate this
Hehe, thanks :). It was just a great moment of irony that I had to capture.

While I'm here, here's "Paul(a), is This Really the Time?"

I'm loving Nemona, Arven and Penny's awkward bonding session :haw:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Paul.Power posted:

Hehe, thanks :). It was just a great moment of irony that I had to capture.

While I'm here, here's "Paul(a), is This Really the Time?"

I'm loving Nemona, Arven and Penny's awkward bonding session :haw:

It's more like Nemona and Penny bond by bullying Arven.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I had a raid with someone using a shiny Ditto named zacians(.)net. And I am very disapointed it wasn't a hacked raid.

But I did get a raid with a 5IV Ditto after that one, and it has a 29 in the other stat. So that's close enough, I guess. But I still want hack using hosts to host hacked raids. It's a disappointment otherwise. :colbert:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
e: nevermind.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 15, 2023

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Hrist posted:

I had a raid with someone using a shiny Ditto named zacians(.)net. And I am very disapointed it wasn't a hacked raid.

But I did get a raid with a 5IV Ditto after that one, and it has a 29 in the other stat. So that's close enough, I guess. But I still want hack using hosts to host hacked raids. It's a disappointment otherwise. :colbert:

I managed to be the first to join a 6-star pubbie Ditto raid after midnight and the host started the raid immediately after I locked in my Flareon to fight the Sprigatito the host had chosen - no waiting for others to enjoy the spoils.

the prize pool contained 5 total 1x Ability Patch pulls and the Ditto was Best in everywhere but in SpAtk. THAT was probably a hacked raid, otherwise...

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

With this talk of raids, I'm not sure its the best place to ask, but here goes: I have a switch and a 8 year old that is pokemon curious. What do I buy?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

headcase posted:

With this talk of raids, I'm not sure its the best place to ask, but here goes: I have a switch and a 8 year old that is pokemon curious. What do I buy?

Scarlet or Violet

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

TheDK posted:

Scarlet or Violet

Nice I wasn't sure if I should stick to sword/shield as an intro, but I know literally nothing. Thanks for the tip.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
for an 8 year old I'd suggest Let's Go, it's a lot simpler and has local 2 player

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

headcase posted:

Nice I wasn't sure if I should stick to sword/shield as an intro, but I know literally nothing. Thanks for the tip.

Nah, the quality of life stuff and open-world nature of ScarVio are better for newbies at this point, I'd say. For a smaller child I might suggest starting with Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee, but eight is old enough to head straight into ScarVio.

Let us know if your kiddo gets really into it, I bet we can trade over some shinies or something fun, as a thread.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

HopperUK posted:

Nah, the quality of life stuff and open-world nature of ScarVio are better for newbies at this point, I'd say. For a smaller child I might suggest starting with Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee, but eight is old enough to head straight into ScarVio.

Let us know if your kiddo gets really into it, I bet we can trade over some shinies or something fun, as a thread.

Nice! I'm hoping I get into it with her.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

FROG SQUAD IN ACTION

https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen9nationaldex-1772866524-ll9xg8h8o8acusdq27gmz9p1yruv5fapw

At last there's enough frogs for me to embrace my dreams.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Flopsy posted:

FROG SQUAD IN ACTION

https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen9nationaldex-1772866524-ll9xg8h8o8acusdq27gmz9p1yruv5fapw

At last there's enough frogs for me to embrace my dreams.

Aw this link is to an empty room! I want to see the frawgs

e: never mind now I see them, glorious

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

headcase posted:

Nice! I'm hoping I get into it with her.

Make her play gen1 so she'll grow up big and strong and weirdly over-enhanced by badges

derra
Dec 29, 2012
My 6 year old got through Violet just fine after he learned how to move around well enough.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BitBasher posted:

I would have agreed with you on life orb but each of them gets an attack that recovers half the damage done as healing. Their life bars are so large as long as I have the type advantage I sit at full life the whole time except when the shield is up, and I get through the shield a good deal faster with the life orb. That's also 15% more healing I get back every hit. When the shield isn't up I am back at max life after every hit anyway, so the life orb damage is pretty meaningless.

Screech doesn't work at all when the shield is up, and existing effects automatically gets wiped off when the shield goes up, which the only part of the fight that really matters it seems to me. This is also why screech is bad compared to shilling water/spirit break and similar.

This is of course on a level 100 mon with max EVs and perfect stats. It would likely be far less effective if it didn't have that.

And it goes to 90 power on a mon with Technician!

You've got one misconception here: existing effects only get wiped when the boss hits the respective wipe yours or wipe its effects. This is independent of the shield, and each and every one of these things is scripted based on time or hit points remaining. Furthermore, the shield only blocks status-type moves like screech or fake tears. It does not stop the additional effects of things like Acid Spray, so if you have moves that do damage and apply a status effect, those status effects will make it through the shield.

These are important distinctions when you're building raid mons. Mirai/Korai are beefy enough that they matter less for those two, but you should keep them in mind if you start building other raid mons and getting into the meta of raiding. (It sounds like you're doing mostly solo stuff?)

Anyway, a good site for looking up the raid you're doing and reading the script: https://stevecooktu.github.io/sv_raid_lookup/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

derra posted:

My 6 year old got through Violet just fine after he learned how to move around well enough.

That is fantastic. My niece is six and I want her to play. Who’s his favourite pokemon? Did he follow the story okay?

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Hrist posted:

I got one of their dittos too.

Deleted it because I already had a legit shiny ditto from Sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

HopperUK posted:

That is fantastic. My niece is six and I want her to play. Who’s his favourite pokemon? Did he follow the story okay?

My 6 year old nephew is following playing on his own. He got a copy for Christmas and brought over his switch today so he could show me his mons and I hooked him up with a Charmander, Skorbunny and and the other starters. He loved just being able to run around together in multiplayer