Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Clan eugenics program has never been portrayed as very effective. The actual Clan advantage came from organized training and any Inner Sphere warriors who received similar levels of training were equally effective.

And even that advantage is undercut by the specifics of Clan culture. Clan training programs water down their own effectiveness with rituals, nepotism, "bloodletting" practices, and poor leadership because it isn't their best or most experienced that train the next generation but their worst, their mentally ill, and worse who used the younger generations as punching bags to work out their own frustrations and failures.

The Clan eugenics program made people who were no better and (usually, fortunately) no worse than any other people. They may have had targeted 'physical performance minimums' but at the end of the day they were still human beings and things like 'skill' aren't inherited genetically.

The real thing that's broken down is the Clan training program which, good? I can't blame any Clan warrior for the specifics of their births but the Clan training programs were always monstrous. Their breakdown is exactly the plot development I've been hoping for since the Jade Falcons started calling up unblooded skibkos to bolster their numbers after the Refusal War.

The fact the somewhat-less-psycho Falcons raided the Bears for more trainees definitely suggests there's breakdowns in getting warriors (hell, the Ghost Bears in that novel were a picture perfect example of good trainee warriors getting screwed over by a lunatic trainer with biases), so I expect there's going to be big movements for both of them to grab any decent soldiers they can wherever they can, they literally can't afford to be too picky. Hard to say what Alaric's merry band will be doing since he seems to be an arrogant idiot; it might be that being ultra-conservative with focusing on Trueborns might become something that distinguishes the Wolves from the others (to their detriment).

Finally got to reading Damocles Sanction; I appreciate it continues the "break into smaller factions" route of the current era by putting the First Prince and the heads of the Draconis and Capellan Marches at odds (hell, they're pretty much "we'd fight except we know we'd get killed by someone else" level now) even as they technically pick up a big win shoving the Combine back. I do hope we get similar effects hitting the Combine itself soon; Yori seemed far too secure at the end of this one, she deserves some of the ulcers going around Inner Sphere leadership now, and I'd love it if those "troubling Clan-related reports" she dismisses at the end of this one are a tad more troubling than she anticipates. That would pretty much be everybody having internal faction trouble at that point I think, especially if the Wolves get some shattering of their own in the process of attacking the DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

MadDogMike posted:

The fact the somewhat-less-psycho Falcons raided the Bears for more trainees definitely suggests there's breakdowns in getting warriors (hell, the Ghost Bears in that novel were a picture perfect example of good trainee warriors getting screwed over by a lunatic trainer with biases), so I expect there's going to be big movements for both of them to grab any decent soldiers they can wherever they can, they literally can't afford to be too picky. Hard to say what Alaric's merry band will be doing since he seems to be an arrogant idiot; it might be that being ultra-conservative with focusing on Trueborns might become something that distinguishes the Wolves from the others (to their detriment).

Finally got to reading Damocles Sanction; I appreciate it continues the "break into smaller factions" route of the current era by putting the First Prince and the heads of the Draconis and Capellan Marches at odds (hell, they're pretty much "we'd fight except we know we'd get killed by someone else" level now) even as they technically pick up a big win shoving the Combine back. I do hope we get similar effects hitting the Combine itself soon; Yori seemed far too secure at the end of this one, she deserves some of the ulcers going around Inner Sphere leadership now, and I'd love it if those "troubling Clan-related reports" she dismisses at the end of this one are a tad more troubling than she anticipates. That would pretty much be everybody having internal faction trouble at that point I think, especially if the Wolves get some shattering of their own in the process of attacking the DC.

The Falcons under Jiyi Chistu do have lots of fledglings, but nowhere near old enough to put in a mech (Think 5-10 years old, with some sibkos being closer to graduation). In one of the Tamar Pact-related novels, the Tamar Pact even grabs a whole sibko to grow their military.

Clan Wolf has always been flexible enough to include lots of freeborns in their military, and in IlClan were already trying to recruit lots of Republic POWs to replenish their ranks.

I think for the Draconis Combine, the big threat will come to them from pro-IlClan Bears and Ravens, not necessarily the Wolves themselves.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

a cyborg mug posted:

A Mobile HQ does give you +2 to your initiative rolls for 300-ish BV so I could see someone wanting to field one from time to time, especially in fluffier force compositions

I'm a big fan of Command mechs/vehicles that are anemic in terms of their own weaponry but boost and disrupt other units, but it never seems to work out too well when I play.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I decided to try out my wife's drawing tablet by painting in a TRO picture of a Pillager like a coloring book. I was really enjoying it so I ended up expanding our from there.

The mech is not my drawing, I just colored it in. Everything else was drawn by me.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

evilmiera posted:

I'm a big fan of Command mechs/vehicles that are anemic in terms of their own weaponry but boost and disrupt other units, but it never seems to work out too well when I play.

Here's your ticket, then. C3M2/ECM command vehicle to go with the new model, if you're into that sort of dark magic.

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/4669/morningstar-city-command-vehicle-company-command

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This game doesn't have traditional miniature game style factions does it?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I assume you're asking whether what you can bring to a fight is somehow faction limited? If that's the question, the answer is 'no.'

The setting has factions and some 'Mechs are associated with certain factions but salvaging units from the enemy is an in-universe thing, so you can field whatever you want without issue.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Len posted:

This game doesn't have traditional miniature game style factions does it?

In that units are locked to specific factions, no for the most part. There are some exceptions since people like to play different eras where things might not exist yet, and there are a few lore-based things, but like 95% of everything can just be used by anyone.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
It's very rare for a 'Mech Design to /only/ be assosiated with a particular faction because of the Inner Sphere's compulsive need to scavenge anything and everything they can get their hands on. Generally the only time something is exclusive to a particular faction is when A) When said faction is so isolated from the rest of the setting that there's no much chance for a design to cross borders (IE: The Homeworld Clans having several designs that the Inner Sphere has never seen simply because they're literally in the rear end end of nowhere and no IS power is willing to go through the hassle of traveling a year to their turf just to pick a fight with them), B) The faction in question is SO HEINOUS that salvaging and using their stuff is going to get everyone looking at you funny as they load up their rifles juuuust in case you turn out to actually be a part of said group (Blakists and Society designs post-Jihad/War of Reaving), or C) The design is so new that no one has gotten a hold of it besides you (which will last only as long as it takes for you to get your rear end whooped and have someone run off with as much salvage as they can carry).

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There are not rules restricting your unit selection and there are likewise not rules for playing a particular faction. There are some optional rules for particular regiments or specific units, but nothing like "Clan Wolf gets one reroll per turn" rules.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

The Falcons under Jiyi Chistu do have lots of fledglings, but nowhere near old enough to put in a mech (Think 5-10 years old, with some sibkos being closer to graduation). In one of the Tamar Pact-related novels, the Tamar Pact even grabs a whole sibko to grow their military.

Clan Wolf has always been flexible enough to include lots of freeborns in their military, and in IlClan were already trying to recruit lots of Republic POWs to replenish their ranks.

I think for the Draconis Combine, the big threat will come to them from pro-IlClan Bears and Ravens, not necessarily the Wolves themselves.

there was one where the Jade Falcons took a Ghost Bear Sibko (and triggered part of the Ghost Bear Civil War because one faction of Ghost Bears didn't want to honor the deeal)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The second mission for Kit's Commandos. She chose a strike mission to destroy an enemy radome for the Federated Suns instead of a lance-on lance fight against Bandits from the Capellans for her next mission. Then really mixed it up with the garrison lance anyway instead of striking and fading. She mentioned "burning stuff" the previous night so I printed out a Firestarter mini and sheet and made sure to include them in opfor.

A representative of Clan Smoke Jaguar issues a BatChall as I set up.

"Can I sneak up on them?"
"Nah, they saw your Leopard burn in like a second sun. You can break through and hit the building and get away fast though."

She takes personal umbrage against the 'mechs that were doing the most damage, like the Panther that savaged her Valkryie and and Firestarter that got into the back line and started trying to cook her blackjack.

*huff huff* mom said... mom said you had to find a game that's three players and let me play too
For my part I wanted to show her the awesome power of the Autocannon/20 in the ridiculous package of the Capellan Urbie variant. It got 4/5 salvos off at long range and hit nothing. She found it an amusing little trashcan.

Highlights include scoring a head hit with her griffins PPC that knocked out the cockpit of the Firestarter-- the cleanest salvage she could have asked for; and the Valk getting off a DFA on the Panther.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 16, 2023

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Got a game in tonight, 5k mostly-3025 (other guy had a cataphract with advanced ACs), with a longer time player teaching both of us for the first chunk. Ended up being at quite a disadvantage when we had to wrap up. Games started 3, games actually finished 0 so far. Definitely understanding the need for real objectives for a decent game.

Increasingly thinking Classic may not be for me due to pacing concerns, though Alpha Strike goes a bit too far in the opposite direction. Doesn't cost anything to keep giving it a shot and folks seemed to have fun, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
You could try upping the BV. My local group does 10k for 2-4 players. Goes a lot faster when you're not rolling for 10s and 11s for six hours.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Anyone tried Battletech:Destiny?

Its a hacked version of the Mech combat rules from the latest RPG intended to be a bit between Classic and Alpha Strike in crunch.

https://dfawargaming.com/downloads

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SkyeAuroline posted:

Increasingly thinking Classic may not be for me due to pacing concerns, though Alpha Strike goes a bit too far in the opposite direction. Doesn't cost anything to keep giving it a shot and folks seemed to have fun, so hopefully that's a good sign.

I find 3/4 pilots are the "sweet spot" for Classic BattleTech. If you think games are taking too long, there are also some other tricks to shorten them (try taking units with fewer, larger weapons and avoid as many missile table rolls as you can). 3050+ is great for this because Gauss Rifles are both strong and have a hefty BV cost.

I also find 3025-era games tend to lag on. Post Clan invasion tends to play faster in general.

HidaO-Win posted:

I have not, but it's on my radar because Destiny's 'Mech shooting rules are pretty solid.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

we use flechs sheets and it makes the game go way way faster

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

SirFozzie posted:

there was one where the Jade Falcons took a Ghost Bear Sibko (and triggered part of the Ghost Bear Civil War because one faction of Ghost Bears didn't want to honor the deeal)

Yeah, I just finished "A Question of Survival" and was surprised by how much I found Jiyi Chistu (New Khan of the remnants of Clan Jade Falcon) likeable. It doesn't hurt that he's an old clix unique. I feel real bad for the Ghost Bears though, and Alaric just seems to be way too high on his own stuff with his "The vote must be unanimous!!1!" crap. Dude could've got an entire State/Clan on his side, and instead caused a civil war inside of them.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

PoptartsNinja posted:

(try taking units with fewer, larger weapons and avoid as many missile table rolls as you can).

Oh yeah this too for sure. I played a game today where opponent alpha'd with his SRM Carrier. That's 10xSRM6. We had just finished the rolls for SRM #4 when one of them landed a critical hit on my cockpit and I said a silent prayer of thanks.

I knew a guy who put 20 dice in one of those fishing tackle boxes and used them for LBX-20 rolls. We had an unspoken mutual understanding to not use LBX-20 cluster ammo if he didn't bring that box.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

HidaO-Win posted:

Its a hacked version of the Mech combat rules from the latest RPG intended to be a bit between Classic and Alpha Strike in crunch.

https://dfawargaming.com/downloads

its fine but removes any drawbacks for XL engines for example

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

XL engines still have draw backs - they are easier to crit compared to standard engine (difficulty also depending on the type - clan XL, IS XL or XXL).

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Yeah, I just finished "A Question of Survival" and was surprised by how much I found Jiyi Chistu (New Khan of the remnants of Clan Jade Falcon) likeable. It doesn't hurt that he's an old clix unique. I feel real bad for the Ghost Bears though, and Alaric just seems to be way too high on his own stuff with his "The vote must be unanimous!!1!" crap. Dude could've got an entire State/Clan on his side, and instead caused a civil war inside of them.

Yeah, that was the book I mentioned for how the Falcons probably are not going to be picky about where they get warriors. I do agree this is probably the most I've found the Falcons as a whole likable (though their usage of snark did make them amusing sometimes); Chistu's faction seems to have had just enough ego damage to be willing to innovate now. As for the rest, I did see one theory Alaric might have deliberately triggered the Ghost Bear issue to weaken a rival, but I tend to think it is indeed him being egotistical in victory. It fits too well with several other own goals he seems to be scoring on himself (like the Wolf Dragoons and FWL crushing his garrison Wolves while he ignores them). I do hope to see the ilClan do something interesting when they finally come out from behind the scenes, but it definitely feels like they won't be terribly dominant over the Inner Sphere given the evident issues they're causing themselves (which, again, I'm hoping is because BT current era is striving to make smaller political units more of a thing).

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Feels like the Bears are going to be too busy with their own headaches to start something, though I suppose one way the Combine could get into a fight with the ilClan is trying to take advantage of the current GB civil conflict and then getting hit when the pro-Alaric faction asks him for help. As for the Ravens, have they been established to even have an opinion on the Wolves as ilClan, or for that matter to know anything beyond rumors yet? Not sure how they'll jump, they're another Clan faction highly integrated with non-Clan people. I suppose we might see the Wolves face off against Capella before the DC, although in their case I foresee the CC might instead be stuck with internal trouble due to the current chilling of relations with the MoC and Andurians. Which is why I like the idea of Wolf/Combine conflict since that hits pretty much the last two major factions not already weakened/dealing with internal conflict. The Combine certainly gets to be much more interesting when they're at serious existential threat from a faction that they can't just bullshido their way through, and I don't think there are any other groups that can currently provide such a threat beyond the ilClan. Also, they're both such arrogant jerks they're practically made for each other ;).

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Final version of my Bushwacker paint scheme. Pretty happy with it over all.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Wasp-like colorschemes (black and yellow, black and gold) are really nice.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah, that was the book I mentioned for how the Falcons probably are not going to be picky about where they get warriors. I do agree this is probably the most I've found the Falcons as a whole likable (though their usage of snark did make them amusing sometimes); Chistu's faction seems to have had just enough ego damage to be willing to innovate now. As for the rest, I did see one theory Alaric might have deliberately triggered the Ghost Bear issue to weaken a rival, but I tend to think it is indeed him being egotistical in victory. It fits too well with several other own goals he seems to be scoring on himself (like the Wolf Dragoons and FWL crushing his garrison Wolves while he ignores them). I do hope to see the ilClan do something interesting when they finally come out from behind the scenes, but it definitely feels like they won't be terribly dominant over the Inner Sphere given the evident issues they're causing themselves (which, again, I'm hoping is because BT current era is striving to make smaller political units more of a thing).

I think it's both ego and strategic position; Alaric is stuck in an even worse situation that Stone was (Minus all his warships). Clan training makes getting warriors way tougher than IS methods, and Alaric's ego is apparently preventing him from just recruiting the Republic folks. He spent so much time on how to conquer Terra he never thought whether he should. The Wolf Empire was a far better position that he finds himself in now.

MadDogMike posted:

Feels like the Bears are going to be too busy with their own headaches to start something, though I suppose one way the Combine could get into a fight with the ilClan is trying to take advantage of the current GB civil conflict and then getting hit when the pro-Alaric faction asks him for help. As for the Ravens, have they been established to even have an opinion on the Wolves as ilClan, or for that matter to know anything beyond rumors yet? Not sure how they'll jump, they're another Clan faction highly integrated with non-Clan people. I suppose we might see the Wolves face off against Capella before the DC, although in their case I foresee the CC might instead be stuck with internal trouble due to the current chilling of relations with the MoC and Andurians. Which is why I like the idea of Wolf/Combine conflict since that hits pretty much the last two major factions not already weakened/dealing with internal conflict. The Combine certainly gets to be much more interesting when they're at serious existential threat from a faction that they can't just bullshido their way through, and I don't think there are any other groups that can currently provide such a threat beyond the ilClan. Also, they're both such arrogant jerks they're practically made for each other ;).

Seems like the Suns and Combine are both going into 'defensive mode' after Damocles Sanction. Too many enemies to make any risky moves.

Also, my impression of the Ravens is that there is zero integration, they just moved in to the Outworlds Alliance, and co-exist while tacitly ruling them because the Alliance has no chance against warships.

On the painting side of things, I'm torn. I have clan mech duplicates, and I'm not sure if I want to paint them up as Spirit Cats (And have 5 doubles, but with different schema/patterns) or just paint them as Steel Wolves, my other clix main faction I liked. I think they'd look a lot cooler as Steel Wolves. My son disagrees.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 17, 2023

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
I had my first game of battletech total warfare yesterday and here are some thoughts. My opponent had the beginner box so we used those rules. The first match was one on one with the beginner box mechs, and then the follow up game was 2 on 2 using extra mechs from the advanced starter box. We had to improvise with some things such as the hit location table, but it was a pretty even match.

1. The game is fun and I would like to play more!

2. I feel the introduction ruleset could use melee options or short range penalties to keep things dynamic. Both matches we basically ran at each other to avoid LOS being blocked by forest. That ended in us blasting each other in the face for a few turns.

3. We both had absolutely no idea how to approach the lore / fiction / factions of the game.

4. I think the jump from introductory to standard rules will be much bigger than from newbie to introductory rules.

5. Most of my miniature game experience is with GW products so I really appreciated how easy it was to download rule pdfs and apply them.

The big question I have coming out of the game is about the master unit list. Am I correct in understanding that it only has alpha strike information? How do I get more total warfare data sheets? I think next steps are to try the game with the standard rules and probably invest in the hardbound rulebook if that goes well.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bored Online posted:

How do I get more total warfare data sheets?

Download MegamekLab. Every record sheet that's ever been made for your printing pleasure.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finished up my Fox Khanate Sea Foxes

Battle Star

Raider Star

Newbie Star

And the whole trinary together

I wish there was an official plastic Tiburon. Why did the Sea Foxes wind up with most of the good-looking Dark Age 'Mech designs?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My daughter used her salvaged Firestarter to harass a catapult until it shut down and all its remaining ammo cooked off.

I'm so proud. :unsmith:

The prize for that mission was a fully intact Orion; a nice all arounder heavy hitter to get her into that weight class. The Catapult was far beyond salvage.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Finished up my Fox Khanate Sea Foxes

Battle Star

Raider Star

Newbie Star

And the whole trinary together

I wish there was an official plastic Tiburon. Why did the Sea Foxes wind up with most of the good-looking Dark Age 'Mech designs?

I have a hunch that after Mercenaries Catalyst will do a Dark Age Kickstarter with tons of minis from that Era.

A clix fan can dream... :smith:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I have a hunch that after Mercenaries Catalyst will do a Dark Age Kickstarter with tons of minis from that Era.

A clix fan can dream... :smith:

Oh man I can relive the long ago days of the literal draconis combine with the agrimech technical.

E: The mercenary campaign angle is p. fun. Not sure what to do with this development.

"Off the last mission, after proving his value, getting a skill up, and limping into your office with his recent injury, Paul 'Director' Verhoven comes to you for a 50% raise on his weekly salary, implying he would prefer to stay with a smaller unit but the Gray Death Legion would easilly match such an ask."

"Okay, I offer him this much."

"That's a raise of over 2000%! He suggests you should take salary negotiations more seriously as a lesser person might be insulted, but 200% is more than agreeable if you're feeling generous after selling off that salvage."

"No, I meant that much."

"Okay, well you're smart enough as a merc commander to know that word is going to get out when he starts spending it he's making way more than the others."
"Okay we'll give them the same amount raise."

"Well, the technicians, while they make less because they aren't in harms way, are probably going to grouse about THAT big a gap..."

"Them too!"
etc.

Kid sells one salvaged SDR-5K and she thinks she's more generous than any CEO who ever lived.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 17, 2023

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The kids are all right.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Kid sells one salvaged SDR-5K and she thinks she's more generous than any CEO who ever lived.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I didn't even have to give her the 40 yards of myomer talk. :unsmith:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kid's going to learn why 60% of mercenary units go bankrupt with any year

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Pretty much every Great House tries to force mercenaries, especially small company-level units, into a 'company store' situation where they can never really leave right? Working on a new story about a small company of mercs. Fiction seems to be full of them, so I figure they must be able to survive financially somehow.

Would it be realistic for a mercenary company to stick exclusively to garrison contracts, "low reward, but low risk" sort of plan?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Garrison contracts tend to be given out to proven outfits and not every new outfit with a brand new paint job. They're the cush assignments you get after you've paid your dues. They can certainly try to do that but they'd be few and far between at the 'federal' level. They may have more luck taking contracts for local lords or backwaters, but then they run the risk of their contract expiring in the middle of loving nowhere and the next jumpship isn't due for weeks or months.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Strobe posted:

Garrison contracts tend to be given out to proven outfits and not every new outfit with a brand new paint job. They're the cush assignments you get after you've paid your dues. They can certainly try to do that but they'd be few and far between at the 'federal' level. They may have more luck taking contracts for local lords or backwaters, but then they run the risk of their contract expiring in the middle of loving nowhere and the next jumpship isn't due for weeks or months.

Yeah, that was my thought, a small merc company that sticks to low risk, low reward garrisons with local governments; basically contracts to keep the lights on and table filled. The story isnt' actually about the mercs, they're just the POV for the actual conflict they've been hired into.

Just wanted to make sure that was possible enough in the BT universe.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bored Online posted:

3. We both had absolutely no idea how to approach the lore / fiction / factions of the game.

It's not super important if you're enjoying the fun of playing, but not for nothing both starter boxes include novellas about a merc company that kind of set the tone, as well as a primer on the state of the Inner Sphere.

Basically, for the point in the setting that would be represented by beginner/AGOAC box gameplay:

It is our distant future. Humanity made it to the stars, but ships were faster than phone calls at first (though eventually a cool tech company called ComStar figures out how to get pretty much real-time talk going). With that communication delay feudalism made a return, with "Great Houses" arising and carving out big slices of space. After fighting with WMDs in wars too horrific to imagine, they more or less agreed that making planetwide glass deserts and calling it victory really served no one and agreed to the Ares Convention, their rules of "civilized" warfare. It's in this context of a gentleman's agreement that often but not always holds about how to do war that the Battlemech becomes the warfighting go-to with Mechwarriors akin to knights.

These Great Houses, each with a broad stereotypical national character that sometimes skews gross 80's orientalism tropes, at length come together to form the Star League. There is peace* in the inner sphere, until a betrayal and revolt unseats and all but destroys the house that governed the other five, and the other five get back to it for the next few centuries. For Game Reasons they're laid out in rough pie slices around their expansion from Earth when viewed on a 2d approximation of the galaxy, where they can slapfight their neighbors.

Warfare is so frequent and has destroyed so much of the scientific and industrial base that the mechs that are the premiere warfighting equipment are often literally irreplaceable and centuries old, sometimes kitbashed with tech that doesn't work as good as it did during the Star League era. Any tech irreplaceable with modern techniques is known as "LosTech" and the subject of rumors and treasure hunts. Anything REALLY spicy and advanced is usually held or coveted by ComStar, the now religious order/telephone comapany that has a monopoly on hyperpulse generators, the things that make interstellar communication possible. They issue the coin of the realm, the C-Bill, backed basically by star-to-star talk time. Though other nations have their own internal money that universally has less purchasing power.

It's one part hard sci-fi, one part star wars, three parts dune-esque space opera, and "Game of Thrones, In Space" is not a terrible touchstone if you're familiar with that.

It's set up so nearly anyone can fight anyone and if you don't want to color in the lines of the great houses there's room to say "this is a campaign between two really minor periphery powers" or "my unit is a merc company that works for the highest bidder."

*everyone more or less ganged up to push outward and pick on the smaller unaffiliated worlds and governments in dirty wars to maintain le price stabilite.

quote:

5. Most of my miniature game experience is with GW products so I really appreciated how easy it was to download rule pdfs and apply them.

What's really cool is how easy it is to download STLS, not to mention how they include extra cardboard standees. It's really easy to mock up what you need for this or that lance.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
I don't post in this thread - while I DO lurk it because I love BT.
And while I've seen Urbies lauded, and other mechs done both right and wrong, I've not seen the worst mech ever created given it's due credence, and I feel that that needs to end, even if this campaign is past what would be its due date (look the lore says these things are passed down for literal centuries, this thing sucks so hard and wouldn't be used, it'd make it this far)

Yessss

quote:

Description
The Rakshasa was designed by engineers at the New Avalon Institute of Science in an attempt to copy the Mad Cat . The finished product, while not as powerful as the OmniMech it emulates, is a powerful 'Mech with an undeserved bad reputation. The Rakshasa is powered by a GM 375 XL engine, giving it comparable ground speed to the 'Mech it attempts to emulate, and built on a GM Marauder Special MD Endo Steel chassis to save weight and allow the 'Mech to carry as similar a weapons payload as possible to the Mad Cat. The Rakshasa also carries eleven and a half tons of StarGuard ferro-fibrous armor giving it slightly less than maximum armor protection.

So elegant.
So perfectly designed.

I love bt and love following this thread, thank you all for doing what you do :), I apologize for busting in with nonsense.