Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Rinkles posted:

You can bone almost anyone you meet in Disciples Liberation (King’s Bounty/HoMM type game, though it’s a different take on the formula).

The only thing I remember about the Kings Bounty reboot is that you could marry a zombie, so I guess it's a recurring theme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sonic Frontiers...Valkyrie Profile...God of War...2022 was truly the year of the word "einherjar"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Sonic Frontiers...Valkyrie Profile...God of War...2022 was truly the year of the word "einherjar"

also elden ring (implied)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Idk how folks aren’t all norse’d out

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

If your mecha is just Human but bigger then the creators have totally failed creatively. Mecha offers all the freedom in the world to create and design unique and interesting encounters and battles. Combiners, transformers, coopiloted units, stealth units, BioMechanical, Magical, Remote Weaponry, Drones, Putting your robot inside a giant wheel to revive the ancient tradition of driving.

naw if your mecha isn't humanoid it's not a mecha it's just some military tech

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

cheetah7071 posted:

honestly kind of baffled at the specific claim that VP2's combat is less strategic tha VP1

like liking it less, sure, that's just taste, but it's inarguably more strategic

I didn't feel like the move to a grid positively affected what had essentially become brawler mechanics, it just made every battle feel like the same dash exploit, but this time on a per enemy basis. It trivialized guardcrush, which was formerly a very interesting mechanic. An interesting attempt tho, certainly more creative than what Square was up to at the time.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/crt_bot2/status/1614385363853905920?s=20

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I didn't feel like the move to a grid positively affected what had essentially become brawler mechanics, it just made every battle feel like the same dash exploit, but this time on a per enemy basis. It trivialized guardcrush, which was formerly a very interesting mechanic. An interesting attempt tho, certainly more creative than what Square was up to at the time.

guard break in VP1 just means pressing the mage button first

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

cheetah7071 posted:

guard break in VP1 just means pressing the mage button first

In some instances, yeah, especially with certain spells that juggle, but Wait Reaction is by no means a free Guard Break later on. Also, balancing your team's only healer with a huge debt in charge points means relying on Guts or timed combo counters for huge multi-hits from enemies, swapping out equipment on the fly especially if Valk needs to go ranged, and prioritizing stuns/freezes on front row enemies while you wait for poo poo to cool down. But we're probably not gonna agree here.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

RETVRN

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

only tangentially related to vidya, but I'm enjoying watching wizards of the coast speedrun burning D&D to the ground

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

victrix posted:

only tangentially related to vidya, but I'm enjoying watching wizards of the coast speedrun burning D&D to the ground

it's hilarious that they took the once-in-a-lifetime renaissance that critical role and stranger things provided and decided that the best way to spin it would be to spend every shred of community goodwill on trying to get their mitts on whatever measly profits pathfinder is making

good loving riddance for them mishandling 4E so poorly

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

victrix posted:

The double down on "we both win" was hilarious, like yeah nah mate tell your story walking

Paizo is coming out with their own license
https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6si7v?Paizo-Announces-SystemNeutral-Open-RPG-License#discuss

They announced it just before WotC did their "we're listening" bullshit

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Vermain posted:

good loving riddance for them mishandling 4E so poorly

:hai:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
4e my beloved.....

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
4E, james?

no… 4ME

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

victrix posted:

Times like this I'm glad I got into Warhammer instead of D&D

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

it's hosed up that this has become a fair statement to make

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Just D&D or Magic too? Haven't played MtG in a while (ironically, cause of FOMO pressures).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I just listened to a podcast where two guys were trying to work out which factions you could price out a full 2000 point Warhammer 40k army for less than five hundred bucks and they could only find four. So I'm glad I got into Warhammer only through the twin lenses of videogames, and painting models with no inclination to actually play tabletop with them.

Just glued together a rat ogre. Skaven forever

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What’s happening with wizards of the coast?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

What’s happening with wizards of the coast?

They tried to pull some poo poo with their Open Gaming License to retroactively take ownership of all third-party and homemade material derived from their IP.

E:
https://twitter.com/epicdndmemes/status/1614016634066292738

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Runa posted:

They tried to pull some poo poo with their Open Gaming License to retroactively take ownership of all third-party and homemade material derived from their IP.

to explain in more detail: the OGL has been around since 3E and it basically gave you carte blanche to include the core 3E reference material in your own original works royalty free, although you weren't allowed to use other branding elements like settings or artwork

they're trying to do the same thing blizzard did with WC3 reforged where they realize they missed the boat on capturing a hot new product (pathfinder) and are now clumsily adding in a "uhhh yeah actually we own everything and it's all ours now but you can still make us free money if you want" clause to the OGL, which has royally pissed off everyone and will probably lead to paizo (pathfinder's publisher) releasing their own OGL-esque ruleset and probably taking WotC to court

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

You should maybe look into the origins of this phrase. Or like just think about it for a moment, it's not like it's hard to figure out

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Gripweed posted:

Games Workshop has been making some real bad moves with community content too but are somehow better than Wizard's bullshit

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

Games Workshop has been making some real bad moves with community content too but are somehow better than Wizard's bullshit

they also finally successfully expanded into the video game sphere in a big way, whereas WotC has almost completely regressed, with nothing really on the horizon aside from baldur's gate 3, and hearthstone/LoR handily eating arena's lunch

it's just poo poo brand management that's now being made even worse because they believed they had more pull than they did, and now will have to furiously backpedal in a way where no one's gonna trust them again and more and more people will gradually shift to paizo's side of the table

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

LegalEagle is a fairly fun youtube lawyer guy who has just put out a video about the D&D thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZQJQYqhAgY

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

HopperUK posted:

LegalEagle is a fairly fun youtube lawyer guy who has just put out a video about the D&D thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZQJQYqhAgY

it's a good watch; the tl;dr of the vid is that he doesn't think WotC actually has a leg to stand on, since you cannot copyright actual gameplay rules (a "procedure") in a way that would make monetizing the license meaningful. paizo's legal threat will probably be enough to force them to back down if that's the case

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Just D&D or Magic too? Haven't played MtG in a while (ironically, cause of FOMO pressures).

MTG has gotten pretty bad with releases in recent years with 2022 being the most egregious so far especially when they released the magic 30th set.

Secret lairs are coming out left and right and it's hard to keep up with if you're a collector. There's collectors editions for every set now, too. Release schedule has been sped up so nearly every month you need to buy something, compared with the 3 month cycle they used to do. Especially now that they print commander specific sets, it just feels like you're drowning. They show no signs of slowing down this year.

There are no more block sets, only standalone sets which I guess makes sense but good bye if you used to like older drafting blocks.

The prof at Tolarian Academy has really good vids on a lot of problems with modern mtg.

https://youtu.be/uTzmmiSvtFU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

all you need to know about how magic the gathering is doing is that they released a special limited edition holofoil reskin of a creature as negan from the walking dead

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

AlphaKeny1 posted:

MTG has gotten pretty bad with releases in recent years with 2022 being the most egregious so far especially when they released the magic 30th set.

Secret lairs are coming out left and right and it's hard to keep up with if you're a collector. There's collectors editions for every set now, too. Release schedule has been sped up so nearly every month you need to buy something, compared with the 3 month cycle they used to do. Especially now that they print commander specific sets, it just feels like you're drowning. They show no signs of slowing down this year.

There are no more block sets, only standalone sets which I guess makes sense but good bye if you used to like older drafting blocks.

The prof at Tolarian Academy has really good vids on a lot of problems with modern mtg.

https://youtu.be/uTzmmiSvtFU

Speaking of Warhammer, they did a colab with Warhammer recently and put out some Warhammer Magic the Gathering decks. I thought I might pick one up as a curiosity even though I don't play Magic, but then I found out they were 60 dollars each. 60 dollars for a deck of cards.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

lost ark handed out vac bans to players who hadn't played the game in almost a year

https://gamerant.com/lost-ark-ban-inactivity-why-review-bomb/

i haven't gotten one yet.....

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

For the 30 year anniversary, MtG put out non-tournament-legal reprints of classic cards from the reserved list like Black Lotus.

In packs. They're selling packs of official proxies.

The packs cost literally one thousand American dollars.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Feldegast42 posted:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What did GW do this time?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Got a move next week and I figure I should start packing my important stuff

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Box has holes it'll be fine

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tell the cat that it is forbidden to stay in that box for the duration of the move, that you absolutely will not allow it.

Cat is now secure in the box and cannot possibly be removed :hmmyes:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vermain posted:

all you need to know about how magic the gathering is doing is that they released a special limited edition holofoil reskin of a creature as negan from the walking dead

The track record of games with "Negan" is good though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQUTmNBIr78

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

unfortunately i hate negan because he is insufferably smug and whenever i lose to him i am always made to watch his entire stupid outro which is way too loving long