Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Yeah. I've watched a reasonable percentage of a Dysmantle playthrough, and the gameplay cycle's more like a Dark Souls where you get all your equipment upgrades by demolishing bigger things and condensing them down into a better axe than something like Graveyard Keeper. Still seems like a satisfying time, though. (Doesn't seem like a game I'd want to play with touchscreen controls, but it's twin stick with a few buttons so it probably works better than I gave it credit for.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Controls do feel like they might be an issue on the touchscreen, especially when you have to take your finger off the controls to tap on a zombie to target it. Pretty sure it has controller support so I will probably try it with the Kishi to see if it's something I could play with that.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Besides Slay the Spire, noticed #ymbab is a bit glitchy on my Android 13 OnePlus 9P. Totally playable and doesn't crash like StS, but it often lets me add more quests than I should be able to and has a display glitch on the mission select.

I mostly mention because it's a bit disappointing that stuff can apparently decay over OS releases if not maintained by the authors.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Dysmantle is a game where you knock poo poo down with weapons, use the materials to make your weapons stronger so you can knock more poo poo down and make new things to wear/use to facilitate knocking poo poo down.

Things are gated by progression, in that you need to find certain materials that can only be found later on, or blueprints that are given either as part of exploring or doing plot missions. There is a fair bit of linearity to the design of the world as well - paths are hemmed in by canyons, pits, and obstacles that are too strong to be destroyed initially, but it still gives you a fair amount of space to go where you want.

Combat is functional, that's pretty much it. It's a game about backing away from enemies as you swing at them, not much more to it than that.

And finally, the DLC is an entirely new area separate from the main game. It introduces a couple new recipes but most are awarded as you explore the area, and none are really necessary.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Magic Survival just updated again -- now Magic Combinations are back. When you go up a level and get magic choices, click the little pentagram thingy at top right to see what's available; specific combinations of spells and upgrades are needed, like Energy Bolt/Charged Particle and Spirit/Familiar. Every 25 levels, if you have the right evo'ed combination, you can cash them in for an evolved super-spell of sorts.

Your mileage may vary as to whether they're worth pursuing or not.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Stardew Valley 1.5 was released for Android yesterday and is slowly rolling out. It's still one of the best mobile games IMO and 1.5 provides months of new content.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Don't see it available on my device yet but that's good news. I got hooked on the mobile version recently, having never played it on pc/console before. Almost up to my first winter and definitely gotten my money's worth out of it already.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Not sure how new this is but I have just learned Netflix subscribers get access to a bunch of mobile games for some reason. Notably Into The Breach, Spiritfarer, and Moonlighter. Have only tried ITB so far but its like a perfect mobile game

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

thehoodie posted:

Not sure how new this is but I have just learned Netflix subscribers get access to a bunch of mobile games for some reason. Notably Into The Breach, Spiritfarer, and Moonlighter. Have only tried ITB so far but its like a perfect mobile game

and POINPY!!!

I think its a few months old at least, I recall november?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah poinpy owns make sure to play that if you're doing the rounds on the netflix games. Did they ever add controller support to Moonlighter? I wanted to play that with my Kishi but it's like the mobile version only has touch controls which left something to be desired imo.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In Vampire Survivors, is the Game Killer arcana broken? It's supposed to make each chest give three items. Well, there are three slots, but two of them are empty items:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You can never get new items from chests, only upgrades to items you already have. (That's why it's called game killer :ssh: -- it's a huge downside if you don't already have all your item slots filled.)
So assuming your existing stuff is all max level, those white squares are probably supposed to be the 25-coin pouches that normally replace items in chests once you're all maxed out.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/engadgetgaming/status/1612895297419546624

New netflix thing just dropped. Based on the touch controls seen on this image I'd hope this has controller support unlike Moonlighter.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can never get new items from chests, only upgrades to items you already have. (That's why it's called game killer :ssh: -- it's a huge downside if you don't already have all your item slots filled.)
So assuming your existing stuff is all max level, those white squares are probably supposed to be the 25-coin pouches that normally replace items in chests once you're all maxed out.

I don't remember anymore, but I'm pretty sure I had things left to upgrade.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
Speaking of Netflix, I don't think I've seen anyone mention that Kentucky Route Zero came out, so heads up on that too

Edit: and TMNT does work with my razer kishi

Davedave24 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 11, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I feel like playing a dumb idle game of the type where you see stuff get built and expand as you increase values. Anyone got any recommendations? I tried Idle Bank Tycoon but it only has a few days of gameplay in it, and Frozen City seems slow and cumbersome. I was never under any illusions they'd actually be good though, they're both scrap from the store and I'm looking for something considerably better.

Old, new, taking any recs.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Black Griffon posted:

I feel like playing a dumb idle game of the type where you see stuff get built and expand as you increase values. Anyone got any recommendations? I tried Idle Bank Tycoon but it only has a few days of gameplay in it, and Frozen City seems slow and cumbersome. I was never under any illusions they'd actually be good though, they're both scrap from the store and I'm looking for something considerably better.

Cats and Soup is an idle game where cats make soup that gets sold for money to upgrade soup stations. There's a version through Netflix that has no ads.

I like it enough to log in a few times a day to feed my cats fish so they get better at making soup.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Oh yeah Cats and Soup is very cute, but I've played quite a lot of it and it doesn't quite have the aesthetic of expansion and improvement I'm looking for. Sweet game though.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i kinda wish there was a cool age of empires type game for phones. i mean there are many but monetisation and poo poo ruin it. i just kinda wanna build a fortress and wreck someone elses and to NOT see a millions ads while doing it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Black Griffon posted:

Are you looking for the kind of idle game where you do the whole 'restart and get super currency to upgrade' infinite loop, or something with, like, a point and/or an end?

I played a game called Home Quest for a while, pretty much all text with some small icons, you build cities and armies to take over more cities to get more production chains and more variety of materials and such, there's something of a plot, it's not too bad though pretty dry with some really slow parts where you're waiting a while.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Are you looking for the kind of idle game where you do the whole 'restart and get super currency to upgrade' infinite loop, or something with, like, a point and/or an end?

Both work honestly. The thing that makes it a good time waster/fidget spinner is the sense of "thing that was less? now more and I can see it", and both prestige and non-prestige games work for that I reckon. Giving Home Quest a gander, thanks!

Edit: as an example something like Cookie Clicker doesn't work because there's no real satisfaction in the UI changing. It doesn't feel like there's more of stuff really. Something like the bank manager game I mentioned has more customers streaming in, the offices get bigger and there's more employees. You've got those mining idlers where you dig deeper and your base gets bigger and so on.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 15, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've actually never played an idle game. What's the best one for android?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Best is a low bar for this genre. Ones with graphics, probably Paragon Pioneers and Egg Inc. Text FarmRPG and Melvor.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hand Row posted:

Best is a low bar for this genre. Ones with graphics, probably Paragon Pioneers and Egg Inc. Text FarmRPG and Melvor.

Okay, thank you for taking the time to reply, looks like I don't enjoy idle games.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Idle games which I currently have installed and enjoy are:-

ISEPS
Antimatter Dimensions
Grimoire Idle
Idle Skilling
Idle to rule the Gods
Realm Grinder

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I still can't believe that Progress Quest spawned an entire loving genre.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

VelociBacon posted:

Okay, thank you for taking the time to reply, looks like I don't enjoy idle games.

Try one that ends, those are actually good and worth playing

For Android what immediately comes to mind is universal paperclips and a dark room

A dark room was ported by someone other than the original creator and he added fanfic content to it but the game itself is solid

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sigh. Starting Into The Breach over from scratch. I'm just way more likely to play this on my phone than PC these days. And it's great. So great.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's a shame that NGU Idle isn't on mobile. It's a neat goon-made idle game.

NinjaDebugger posted:

I still can't believe that Progress Quest spawned an entire loving genre.

OTOH, most of the games in the genre are bad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I want to advise against Egg Inc (not that anyone brought it up, but the idler discussion reminded me of it). I'm a recovering addict, and I'll never go back. I can't. That game had its chicken feet in me and didn't let go for over a year.

It's not QUITE an idler, more of a clicker but jfc, it's got polish and a very generous beginning that keeps you coming back.

Stay away, stay far away. I don't say this ironically to make you interested, I say this as a warning in case it's every suggested to you and you consider trying it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I want to advise against Egg Inc (not that anyone brought it up, but the idler discussion reminded me of it). I'm a recovering addict, and I'll never go back. I can't. That game had its chicken feet in me and didn't let go for over a year.

It's not QUITE an idler, more of a clicker but jfc, it's got polish and a very generous beginning that keeps you coming back.

Stay away, stay far away. I don't say this ironically to make you interested, I say this as a warning in case it's every suggested to you and you consider trying it.

Hand Row actually bought it up, it's clear you are so traumatized by its grasp that your brain just omitted it from reading.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Thankfully I was annoyed by the co op stuff and escaped that Eggs grasp.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Unfortunately, I reinstalled Egg Inc this summer, and the coop stuff nearly made me bounce off, until I discovered like-minded degenerates on Discord to coordinate the coop stuff. :negative: The hooks are in, but I have been slowing down from the level of obsessiveness I had in the fall.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Yeah few years ago I found groups off of Reddit. It was largely painless.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

Sigh. Starting Into The Breach over from scratch. I'm just way more likely to play this on my phone than PC these days. And it's great. So great.

There was very recently 2 episodes of Designer Notes, one with each of the devs from ItB and FTL, it's a podcast that's a long form interview process with devs. You might really like to listen to that while you play it if you're already on your phone.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

I played a lot of Egg Inc, hopped off just as the coop stuff was landing. Glad to hear it's still kicking along :)

In Magic Survivors chat, I've been liking the additional meld powers and how consistently that gets me past the third wave, but thought it needed more melds else each run gets samey.
Another four have been added recently so that's helped with that feeling. I can't help wonder if these meld powers are a losing arms race for the dev or if there's a number of them that makes keeping on doing runs interesting.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'm really enjoy minute knights https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.pya.tenten.app.minuteknights

It pretty similar to the other minute games like minute quest or minute frontier. This one is a bit more of an idle game. You get a team of three people that auto fight. When a team member levels up the level up the job they are in. The job give passive that help the entire team even when you aren't in that job.

You can reset your level every 1 hours in game or 6 hours out of game. You can set the game to play even with the app closed but it requires upgrades to for to do more than just the stage you selected.

It's not the most indepth game but it is fun little idle game that doesn't count any moneys.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
when you're talking about that egg game do you mean co-op or coop

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Black Griffon posted:

Hand Row actually bought it up, it's clear you are so traumatized by its grasp that your brain just omitted it from reading.

Weird.

Well, I hope to continue ignoring it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

flatluigi posted:

when you're talking about that egg game do you mean co-op or coop

Yes