Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The grim and gritty 2000s gave us the peepee doodoo man. I don't think Mortal Kombat ever had its tongue outside of its cheek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One thing Mortal Kombat has always done pretty well is integrating external media and fan theories into its main narrative in an interesting way. Even total pieces of crap like MK Annihilation get salvaged for a special move or two so the background lore feels very participatory.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, I like everything about fighting games except actually playing them.

:emptyquote:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I know just the feeling. The whole thing with fighting games where every character has to be distinct and interesting and appealing in their own way because there isn't really a single main character lends itself to a lot of fun design, and they tend to be over-the-top colourful fun and flavour.

Yyyup. I've come to own a rather preposterous number of fighting games and the only one I've ever slightly gotten into is DBFZ.

Even Smash Bros. failed to grip me, and that was my poo poo back when I was 12.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Fighting games do a terrible job of having single player content worth anything, so unless you enjoy practicing and playing against other players I can totally get that

I really don't like NRS games, and the mortal Kombat stuff has gotten to high fidelity for the ultra violence to be funny for me, but the one thing they've got going for them is they have really, honest to god single player modes with full story, characters, endings, all the trimming really

Street Fighter 6 at least looks like it'll be a lot better about that stuff!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Fighting games do a terrible job of having single player content worth anything, so unless you enjoy practicing and playing against other players I can totally get that

I really don't like NRS games, and the mortal Kombat stuff has gotten to high fidelity for the ultra violence to be funny for me, but the one thing they've got going for them is they have really, honest to god single player modes with full story, characters, endings, all the trimming really

Street Fighter 6 at least looks like it'll be a lot better about that stuff!

Yeah, fighting games live and die by having a varied array of fun and interesting characters (which coincidentally I always thought Street Fighter kinda lacked in), and having a proper story mode can help a huge amount with that. Even if you're still mostly in it for the multiplayer, it just adds way more depth and context to each character than just a half-assed text blurb and maybe some ending slides in the arcade mode.

MK11 also stands out for me for having one of the hypest trailers I've ever seen. All through development, they dropped smaller trailers and teasers, but every time just with some new or custom music. People kept asking why they wouldn't just use the actual original theme, and then for the final trailer they finally used it and dropped this absolute banger :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zwQPJmg-Kg

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Granted, I'm extra biased because I apparently have a brain problem that makes me just not Get fighting games on a fundamental level so playing them is genuinely often unpleasant. :smith:

Case in point, I struggled mightily trying to play MK9 on its easiest difficulty setting. It's a bummer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I somehow managed to get my Pocket Circuit racecar to invert its direction on the track in Yakuza Kiwami, and there's unique dialogue for that.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I somehow managed to get my Pocket Circuit racecar to invert its direction on the track in Yakuza Kiwami, and there's unique dialogue for that.

Well? What's the dialogue?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Injustice is good, they have pretty good story modes and all the good parts of being a Netherealm game without being horrific

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/Toxicoow/status/1122511511937781761

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

credburn posted:

Fable let my character, a man, marry another man, and go on to refer to him as my wife throughout the entire game. :sigh:

Malewife

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I would actually put the time in to learn to play beyond the tutorial if this was the case

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I would go nuts for a game in the style of MK11 but as a side scrolling brawler. The technical side of even mid tier fighting games slides right off my mirror-like brain but brawlers are a fun and often forgotten genre.

Weirdly enough, I was once really good at Toribash.
It was a turn-based fighting game where you articulated every part of your character's body and then it played out for a few seconds.

While it is still around and somewhat active, I'd love a Toribash 2 with a more streamlined play.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Inzombiac posted:

I would go nuts for a game in the style of MK11 but as a side scrolling brawler. The technical side of even mid tier fighting games slides right off my mirror-like brain but brawlers are a fun and often forgotten genre.

One of the Tekken games had a mode like that, I played a demo of it in a game store one day. Can't remember which, may have been Tag Tournament or something. One of the ps2 games.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

BioEnchanted posted:

One of the Tekken games had a mode like that, I played a demo of it in a game store one day. Can't remember which, may have been Tag Tournament or something. One of the ps2 games.

Tekken 3 had the Tekken Force mode( this was apparently also in 4), which was a side scrolling brawler where IIRC you could play as anyone, 5 had a normal third person side game where you could only play as Jin.

They also made a separate game called Death By Degree where you play as Nina, it was kind of a beat em up/ survival horror / MGS ripoff that was pretty interesting, though it suffers from the stick based fighting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Inzombiac posted:

There is a Mortal Kombat game like that, it's called MK Mythologies: Sub Zero and it's a fantastic idea they sadly never attempted again presumably due to its lackluster presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7FUCEteb4c&t=376s

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MK Shaolin Monks was a 3D brawler but a genuinely good game. I'm always waiting for NRS to make Shaolin Monks 2.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Adventure Mode where you could platform around Netherrealm and just kinda talk to MK legends standing around in hell waiting for fights was pretty rad. That mechanic came back in Armageddon and it was so cool to be playing as the dude who caused the apocalypse, slowly in multiple stages of his life as he grew up.

Edit: that's right, and your dude Shujinko learned moves from fighting the characters, and so eventually he becomes this jack of all trades character that can use a move or two from anybody else like Scorpion's spear or Liu Kang's bicycle kicks, but only has basic combos of his own. What a cool mechanic.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:27 on Jan 14, 2023

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

My favorite little thing about the new MK series is that I bought 11 for like $5 and will just put the ai against itself and go about doing some chores as I watch them absolutely obliterate each other.

Why yes I am bad at fight games.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CJacobs posted:

There is a Mortal Kombat game like that, it's called MK Mythologies: Sub Zero and it's a fantastic idea they sadly never attempted again presumably due to its lackluster presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7FUCEteb4c&t=376s

Yeah, I played this quite a lot of this but it was... not great.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Cythereal posted:

Mortal Kombat is a little strange in that respect. Despite the series' reputation, the modern games have settled on and been very successful with an attitude of treating the games' signature ultraviolence as basically slapstick.

Noob Saibot in 11 is a case in point with turning him into a parody and no one has patience for his schtick.

"What are you, the prince of darkness?"

"I am death's hand!"

"Bugger off, mate."

My favourite is Ermac. The original arcade cabinet had a bunch of statistics you could view, from stuff like total time played on each character, number of times the secret Reptile fight had been triggered, and one entry that just read 'ERMACS'. What's an Ermac? A secret character you can encounter?

MK2 teased this with secret messages about Ermac before finally making him a character in 3.

But ERMAC was actually short for 'Error Macro' and the stats entry was counting how many times the game had crashed. But the devs heard people speculating about a character, and rolled ahead with it.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I liked the dinosaur that does farts in Tekken 3

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Weirdly enough, I was once really good at Toribash.
It was a turn-based fighting game where you articulated every part of your character's body and then it played out for a few seconds.

While it is still around and somewhat active, I'd love a Toribash 2 with a more streamlined play.

Your Only Move Is Hustle is a recent take on a turn based fighting game, it's currently in free beta

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elfface posted:

My favourite is Ermac. The original arcade cabinet had a bunch of statistics you could view, from stuff like total time played on each character, number of times the secret Reptile fight had been triggered, and one entry that just read 'ERMACS'. What's an Ermac? A secret character you can encounter?

MK2 teased this with secret messages about Ermac before finally making him a character in 3.

But ERMAC was actually short for 'Error Macro' and the stats entry was counting how many times the game had crashed. But the devs heard people speculating about a character, and rolled ahead with it.

And now Johnny Cage occasionally calls Ermac 'Error Macro' to mock him before a fight. :v:

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Beastie posted:

My favorite little thing about the new MK series is that I bought 11 for like $5 and will just put the ai against itself and go about doing some chores as I watch them absolutely obliterate each other.

Why yes I am bad at fight games.

I did this in Injustice 2 when I was working from home so I could get cute outfits for all my superhero friends. Loved that mechanic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Rock Band's kiosk/ party mode was so awesome. It'd just pick a song at the difficulty of your choice and start an infinite random playlist with no breaks for the score card, while still keeping track of score on that individual song. You could drop in/out with any instrument, even vocals. Could just press start on any instrument and join in even mid-song and all the player tracks would slide over, it was really slick and well-integrated. Fond memories of huge family Thanksgivings that dipped in and out of the living room as the kiddos and sometimes parents tried out drums.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Jan 14, 2023

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'm late to the party here and I know it has been posted before but having the high tier gods in GoW Ragnarok sound like mafiosos is great.

It's not over the top like "boh woah I'm walking here don't mess up the gravy" but they definitely sound like east coast Italian Americans.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Finally played Resident Evil Revelations and was surprised and delighted to find that capcom put Columbo in the game.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Beastie posted:

I'm late to the party here and I know it has been posted before but having the high tier gods in GoW Ragnarok sound like mafiosos is great.

It's not over the top like "boh woah I'm walking here don't mess up the gravy" but they definitely sound like east coast Italian Americans.

It's a pretty neat choice that everybody from Greece talks like stage actors gnawing the scenery while everybody Norse speaks in more casual/vulgar styles.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Finally played Resident Evil Revelations and was surprised and delighted to find that capcom put Columbo in the game.

While everyone's loving around on some boat, the real plot is Columbo vs Christopher Lee.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Byzantine posted:

It's a pretty neat choice that everybody from Greece talks like stage actors gnawing the scenery while everybody Norse speaks in more casual/vulgar styles.

I love Odin's attitude in Ragnarok, especially when Atreus meets Heimdall and he warns Odin that Atreus is going to betray him and his response is just "Of course he is you idiot, I haven't given him any reason to trust me yet! Are you planning to stab be in the face right now, kid? No? Good, let's move on then. Seriously, so much foresight but no perspective..."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Odin's so good, and that whole Greek/Norse conceit in the presentation is great.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
What is Boatman?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

credburn posted:

What is Boatman?

I'm Boatman.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

credburn posted:

What is Boatman?