Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Devils are a team I've been sort of rooting for the past few seasons because they've got exciting young players and have been bad for a while. In just half a season their fans destroyed all that good will by being annoying online. Which is fine, they should enjoy their team and all that, but I don't like them anymore and I hope they fail.

This is the natural cycle of every rags to riches team. Now the Devils fan base is particularly spiteful, arrogant, and little brother deranged so there's some natural acceleration here.

But remember Chicago being briefly kind of cool after years and years of virtual nonexistence? People rooting for the most racist fan base / sports town in the US to beat a Vancouver team that was viewed as just a little bit too sure of themselves?

Even Toronto, god help me, has a dim charm at the moment.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Their "I'm not mad please don't say online I'm mad" schtick the last time the Jackets played them was comical.

"LOL welp hope Johnny enjoys finishing last this year NO WE HAVEN'T THOUGHT ABOUT THAT TRASH-rear end TEAM SINCE HE DIDN'T SIGN HERE WHY DO YOU ASK?"

As a fan base/team that also defines itself by its ignorance/indifference from the rest of the league, it was funny to see Blue Jackets fans surprised by this

e: Didn't Islanders fans boo him as well despite him never really even getting an offer there? Legendary scum fan base, just a brilliant bunch of absolute reprobates.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

it's also loving New Jersey, everyone even marginally associated with that state has a massive chip on their shoulder at all times.

Eh gently caress you too buddy!! Your Penn station loving sucks and your trains are covered in piss!

... that's a segue to say thank you to ESPN+, which has allowed me to watch zero of the last three Leafs games, because one was on TNT, another on the NHL Network, and a third on ESPN, which obviously is not included with ESPN+ (yes I know they explained this arrangement in the off season, it's still ridiculously stupid).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Kraken first team to have a 7-0 road trip in NHL history :toot:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mind_Taker posted:

Peter Laviolette galaxy brained himself into scratching Dylan Strome tonight which is really stupid. I feel like he’s a good coach when it comes to strategy but his personnel decision are friggin stupid as hell.

This is what the fans of every team with a decent coach think, and hell, we might all be right

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Has any other pro sports league tried as hard as the NHL to make their games unavailable to watch with blackouts and spreading games across multiple specialty channels?

Lets grow the game by letting no one watch it!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah they all do that actually. They also all intentionally cripple their own streaming services, the software always sucks because that's the way the TV networks want it. Which results in more pirating than necessary because the pirated streams are way better than the ones you pay money to the league for.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
https://twitter.com/TheChargingBUF/status/1614461126804135936?s=20&t=EC73bJxbBBVVLolxMpCS1g

Prettiest goal of Okposo's 6 year Sabre career? Probably. Yup.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Channeling his inner Thomas Vanek with that between the legs move. Legendary. And it was the game winner!

Juuse Saros has still never beaten the Buffalo Sabres. I like Nashville but watching Buffalo own the poo poo out of them the past few years has been awesome.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
so Ovie is going to keep scoring 50 goals a year until he's 40 huh?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

Has any other pro sports league tried as hard as the NHL to make their games unavailable to watch with blackouts and spreading games across multiple specialty channels?

Lets grow the game by letting no one watch it!

The NFL is the worst on it. So it super sucks but also isn’t going away.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Canucks flawlessly tanking right now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

Canucks flawlessly tanking right now.

you put your left hand in
you put your left hand out
you put your right hand in
and you shake it all about
you put your right hand - no actually it's not coming out it's stuck

oh god
it's mangled
that's horrifying

well, maybe next year

a cursory check did not tell me which of pearson's hands was damaged, don't be a pedant and ruin the joke

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Devils home/road stuff is getting silly.

T-Bone posted:

This is the natural cycle of every rags to riches team. Now the Devils fan base is particularly spiteful, arrogant, and little brother deranged so there's some natural acceleration here.

It's only "little brother" in context of media coverage in the market. It's not like the rangers ever win anything to be jealous of.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 15, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
oh, no doubt, they're an incredibly pathetic franchise, saved only by the existence of the Chicago Blackhawks from all-time ineptitude

speaking of ineptitude, man this was a bad decision by the Penguins:

https://twitter.com/CJTDevil/status/1614601149671145474

although lumping in Rust there is a bit of a stretch

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 15, 2023

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I'm still extremely annoyed the Pens dumped McCann and kept Kapanen yes.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
it's the worst from a fan's perspective because it was one of those things that was almost universally seen as immediately stupid (at least here)

congrats to the man on his contract day but it's like having to watch Zacha for six years after begging the Devils to take Werenski or trade down for Connor on draft day

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

mcmagic posted:

The Devils home/road stuff is getting silly.

It's only "little brother" in context of media coverage in the market. It's not like the rangers ever win anything to be jealous of.

Franchise-wise this is true. But New Jersey in general has a little brother thing with New York and it bleeds onto the ice.

(As a younger brother and New Jersey native I would add that this is entirely justified. "Why do you have such a chip on your shoulder?" New Yorkers ask, as they dump all their garbage within sight of the city in New Jersey and then complain that the whole state must smell of their poo poo.)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
the blues suck poo poo but won't fully commit to sucking poo poo, the worst kind of sucking poo poo!!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Dubas acquiring a guy so that he could lose him instead of another roster player was so galaxy-brained it could only blow up in his face. The fact that he did it to protect Justin Holl of all people, who would be healthy scratched multiple times and end up on the trade block with no takers the following season, is particularly funny in hindsight. Holl also committed the insanely slow, obvious pick that got Tavares’ tying goal called off in G7 against Tampa, this team is a comedy.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

McCann is good yeah but he's not always going to be shooting at 28.2% and the Pens didn't have $5mx5 to gamble on him being a legitimate top 6 player.

it looks bad in hindsight, and yeah they really should have exposed Carter instead because there's no way Seattle would've taken him

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Carter has at least produced in the playoffs while here, which is something McCann struggled with. But Carter's underlying numbers have still sucked in the playoffs so that's probably as much luck as anything.

The Pens bottom six is an absolute mess this year and it may cost them a playoff spot. Even if they get there, I cannot imagine that they go very far with this roster.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1614701174774697986?s=20
oof, that fell apart quickly. thank god the wings got husso

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Interesting. I heard Laine is a one dimensional bust.

To quote Porty "He's a one-trick pony...but my god, is it one hell of a trick."

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

Carter has at least produced in the playoffs while here, which is something McCann struggled with. But Carter's underlying numbers have still sucked in the playoffs so that's probably as much luck as anything.

The Pens bottom six is an absolute mess this year and it may cost them a playoff spot. Even if they get there, I cannot imagine that they go very far with this roster.

Upgrade on LD and a 3rd liner that drives play and doesn't get caved in or super luck and upgrade the top 6 to bump Rust down. Pray the goaltending holds up.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gino Odjick died. They just announced it during the Canucks broadcast.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Upgrade on LD and a 3rd liner that drives play and doesn't get caved in or super luck and upgrade the top 6 to bump Rust down. Pray the goaltending holds up.

Both of those things? Sure, I see no reason why the Penguins would need to make any draft picks for the next 6 years.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

ThinkTank posted:

Gino Odjick died. They just announced it during the Canucks broadcast.

Only 52, that sucks :(

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Eric the Mauve posted:

Both of those things? Sure, I see no reason why the Penguins would need to make any draft picks for the next 6 years.

It’s not like they made any in the previous 6 either :v:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

aejix posted:

Only 52, that sucks :(

Honestly he had a real poo poo medical condition (Amyloid light-chain (AL) amyloidosis), I'm surprised and happy in a way he made it this far. They were talking about him potentially dying 7-8 years ago iirc

Like it sucks he died young but sadly he was supposed to die younger if that makes any sense

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

stab posted:

Honestly he had a real poo poo medical condition (Amyloid light-chain (AL) amyloidosis), I'm surprised and happy in a way he made it this far. They were talking about him potentially dying 7-8 years ago iirc

Like it sucks he died young but sadly he was supposed to die younger if that makes any sense

Every day a blessing, especially in that situation.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

stab posted:

That sucks. Just looked up what he had and the median survival was about 40 months so at least he managed to double that.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/scottmatla/status/1614768668994330624

right in the kidney. his aim's improving

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
https://youtu.be/0cOAV-H6b00

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U50i_cxgvDY

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

stab posted:

Oh right, that's a silver lining to a crappy situation at least. Poor bastard

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is such dogshit.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Duckman2008 posted:

The NFL is the worst on it. So it super sucks but also isn’t going away.

I think MLB with their "Arbitrarily declare a team that plays hundreds of miles away from you as a 'Home Market' so your only option to see them on is a tv channel that isn't even available in your area." bullshit manages to be even worse.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'd say someone should return to the favor to Trouba but that might risk letting the rangers out of that contract early so... I wish him long relative health

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

"Even Saddam wouldn't mess with Gino"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
the only Vancouver Canuck I've ever had time for. retire his number