Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I want to watch a wooden sailing ship launch an ASM

A broadside of Harpoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'd say send the cajun navy, but no one wants fat guys in bass boats everywhere unless they live in hurricane alley.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nystral posted:

Is the job market as hopping as it is on the IT side? I have an 18 yr old that is looking for some advice on possible careers.

Yeah, there's tons of money being thrown at it and there's a major shortage of people because the profession itself is still new. There's basically two ways in: become skilled in traditional cyber security and then specialize, or begin as a controls and automation engineer via a degreed engineering (EE, ME, etc.) or engineering technician program and then pick up the security stuff along the way. There are some dedicated OT/IoT security programs popping up around the US (mostly led by community colleges), and some corners of the DoD are beginning to specialize in the blue team aspects of it, but they're all still in their infancy.

It pays a premium over IT security, but at the cost of working with the latest and greatest technology. Cloud deployments are just beginning, and it's not uncommon to find yourself working in places with Windows XP or even old FDDI connections.

psydude fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 14, 2023

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

So what are the chances of the Abrams-X going into production? Or was it just some sort of tech demo?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Not a dumb question. Operational technology - basically the hardware and software that manipulates industrial equipment and processes.

Thank you. Some of my peers on the LSA squad got pulled out of Informatics aka IT and into IT/OT after Informatics did their re-org. We all support Manufacturing and the other GxP environments, especially them, so that makes sense. I do a lot more on the End User Experience/non-validated side than they do, so I'm still in Informatics.

LSA = Lead Site Administrator. We handle GPOs and patching in place of Global IT so we can coordinate those with the business, so machines don't get rebooted in the middle of a production run. We also help write SOPs and validate new instruments. Our biweekly squad call is always the best meeting of the week.

This is grossly off-topic, except that if someone tries to Stuxnet us, they'd be going past security policies I helped implement.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

In my view it's easier to teach an InfoSec person about OT systems than teaching a OT person about InfoSec. Some of the stuff you see is, as commented on, old as poo poo.

The challenge of securing networks and devices that assume everything on the network is secure, do no authentication, no encryption, frequently aren't using TCP/IP, run unpatchable firmware or unsupported OS versions... Well it's not boring.

Ed: woops this is really off topic. Ending it.

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022

Nuclear Tourist posted:

So what are the chances of the Abrams-X going into production? Or was it just some sort of tech demo?

There’s a good chance that the army requests certain aspects of Abrams X to be incorporated into future abrams revisions or a next generation tank. It will not be adopted in whole.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Nuclear Tourist posted:

0%, because it was a tech demo. I think the chances that GDLS will make the Abrams successor/upgrade that will contain at least some elements they highlighted in Abrams X to be >90%, though.

GDLS has an absurd level of support in congress, to the point that if someone else somehow won the next MBT competition, the whole thing would be cancelled and re-ran until GDLS wins. (It pays to have tons of subcontractors that depend on you that you distribute to a bunch of small states...) Because of this, GDLS making a tech demo highlighting what they can make to the DoD is significant, so they know what to order if they want to actually get it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Didn't it have a diesel hybrid engine?

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022

Tuna-Fish posted:

0%, because it was a tech demo. I think the chances that GDLS will make the Abrams successor/upgrade that will contain at least some elements they highlighted in Abrams X to be >90%, though.

GDLS has an absurd level of support in congress, to the point that if someone else somehow won the next MBT competition, the whole thing would be cancelled and re-ran until GDLS wins. (It pays to have tons of subcontractors that depend on you that you distribute to a bunch of small states...) Because of this, GDLS making a tech demo highlighting what they can make to the DoD is significant, so they know what to order if they want to actually get it.

Just as likely is that GDLS would just buy whatever company or business unit won.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
sure, just shell dnipro, why not

https://twitter.com/meduza_en/status/1614392089466523648

the fuckers

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Scrungus posted:

Just as likely is that GDLS would just buy whatever company or business unit won.

As someone who has had their company gobbled up by GD for winning a contract, its definitely a thing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ukraine is getting 14 Challenger 2s.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/1/14/united-kingdom-pledges-to-provide-heavy-tanks-to-ukraine

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Now that the UK has stepped across the threshold, expect a shitpile of M1A2s that were parked in the high desert (whoops, the ones parked in US boneyards are A1 and base models awaiting modernization) to get shipped to Ukraine in less than a year.

(honestly it's surprising that tanks were such a sticking point when we already gave Ukraine more advanced poo poo than an M1A2, namely HIMARS)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 15, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Don't we have a shitpot of M1A1s we still operate?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

GD_American posted:

Don't we have a shitpot of M1A1s we still operate?

We do, but it would be easier logistically to ship a pile of M1A2s from Germany and then replace them from desert stores after modernization since the US isn't in a hot war with Russia, but Ukraine is.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 15, 2023

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The good news is there are Abrams on their way to Europe for NATO exercises.

Conveniently on the same boat as a shitload of Bradleys.

I get the feeling we're just going to wake up one day to a few dozen Abrams running around Ukraine with no real forewarning. And I'm cool with that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

look if people wanna drive their SUVs around on a fun holiday tour of ukraine they can go right ahead

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The APS-2 in Europe was already activated and the ABCT equipment issued out to US units in March of 2022. It remains in use by US forces.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I get the feeling we're just going to wake up one day to a few dozen Abrams running around Ukraine with no real forewarning. And I'm cool with that.

That isn't how a single one of these transfers have worked so far, and it could put the administration in legal hot water with the US code regarding Presidential Drawdown Authority.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

mlmp08 posted:

That isn't how a single one of these transfers have worked so far, and it could put the administration in legal hot water with the US code regarding Presidential Drawdown Authority.

I know.

But.... wishful thinking?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah, any transfers of MBTs to Ukrainian forces would be quite well publicized and go through the same procedures as other transfers conducted under the Presidential Drawdown Authority. There'd be no sneaky transfers of a tank brigade to Ukraine.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Booo.

But I get it. Accountability is a good thing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Tanks would be one of the least possible things to transfer secretly, too, no? Almost every step of the process would be visible to satellites and there's a finite number of land routes into Ukraine

Unrelated but I remain very curious what Ukraine is planning to do with JDAMs and if they just got the basic kits or what.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

orange juche posted:

We do, but it would be easier logistically to ship a pile of M1A2s from Germany and then replace them from desert stores after modernization since the US isn't in a hot war with Russia, but Ukraine is.

also means a nice pork project locally to get the speed of all those desert abrams modernized increased.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

also means a nice pork project locally to get the speed of all those desert abrams modernized increased.

Considering the Lima Tank Plant (where modernization is happening) was on the edge of mothballs because the Army has been hemming and hawing about the next generation tank platform, and the US generally having enough tanks to fill all of its armored units requirements, them having to fill a sudden hole from PDA shipping a couple hundred tanks to Ukraine would definitely give them work to do.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Tanks would be one of the least possible things to transfer secretly, too, no? Almost every step of the process would be visible to satellites and there's a finite number of land routes into Ukraine

Unrelated but I remain very curious what Ukraine is planning to do with JDAMs and if they just got the basic kits or what.

disguise it as himars

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

🇦🇲

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I do wonder if this newfound willingness by the West to provide Ukraine with AFVs is indicative of an optimism about Ukraine's chances of successfully making use of them that wasn't there prior. Or maybe the delay is just genuinely down to legal/bureaucratic wrangling.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

I do wonder if this newfound willingness by the West to provide Ukraine with AFVs is indicative of an optimism about Ukraine's chances of successfully making use of them that wasn't there prior. Or maybe the delay is just genuinely down to legal/bureaucratic wrangling.

50/50 most likely, it takes time for bureaucratic poo poo to happen. Western intel was predicting that Ukraine would fall in like 96 hours. It was really wild how badly everyone overestimated the Russians and underestimated the Ukrainians. Even after it became obvious that the Russian military was horribly underprepared beyond the rosiest of assesments, there was still the lingering doubt that continues even now that Ukraine can actually pull it out to the pre-2014 borders. Russia is loving terrible, and completely unable to fight this war, but quantity is a quality all its own.

The counteroffensive that happened around Kharkiv and pushed the Russians back opened a lot of eyes on whether the Ukrainians had the ability to actually persecute the fight given the disparity in how large the Russian forces are compared to the Ukrainians. Abrams are not likely to be handed over in the next month or 2, and everyone wants to see how the Russians react to the Challenger 2 transfer. They're literally on the border of Poland though and a bunch are in Germany, so if Biden announces he's utilizing PDA to transfer Abrams, it could happen in a matter of days, just like the HIMARS transfers happened.

Challenger 2s are actually better than M1A1 Abrams, we just have a lot more Abrams. I'm pretty sure the M1A2SEP3 or whatever they're called now with all of the latest technical doodads GDLS can come up with are still better than a Challenger 2.

E: Also one of the tests here is "Can the Ukrainians maintain and utilize a modern NATO MBT? What about ammo? A tank without rounds is kinda useless. Will the country providing the tanks give enough spares for tanks involved in heavy combat that get damaged? Can NATO logistics handle it? How do you train the tank crews?"

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 15, 2023

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

orange juche posted:

50/50 most likely, it takes time for bureaucratic poo poo to happen. Western intel was predicting that Ukraine would fall in like 96 hours. It was really wild how badly everyone overestimated the Russians and underestimated the Ukrainians. Even after it became obvious that the Russian military was horribly underprepared beyond the rosiest of assesments, there was still the lingering doubt that continues even now that Ukraine can actually pull it out to the pre-2014 borders. Russia is loving terrible, and completely unable to fight this war, but quantity is a quality all its own.

The counteroffensive that happened around Kharkiv and pushed the Russians back opened a lot of eyes on whether the Ukrainians had the ability to actually persecute the fight given the disparity in how large the Russian forces are compared to the Ukrainians. Abrams are not likely to be handed over in the next month or 2, and everyone wants to see how the Russians react to the Challenger 2 transfer. They're literally on the border of Poland though and a bunch are in Germany, so if Biden announces he's utilizing PDA to transfer Abrams, it could happen in a matter of days, just like the HIMARS transfers happened.

Challenger 2s are actually better than M1 Abrams, we just have a lot more Abrams.

E: Also one of the tests here is "Can the Ukrainians maintain and utilize a modern NATO MBT? What about ammo? Will the country providing the tanks give enough spares for tanks involved in heavy combat that get damaged? Can NATO logistics handle it? How do you train the tank crews?"

I thought Chobham armor was super secret classified? Like the Saudi and Egyptian M1's don't even have it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Flikken posted:

I thought Chobham armor was super secret classified? Like the Saudi and Egyptian M1's don't even have it.

Well if the UK is giving them Chobham on the Challenger 2's (dunno if they're doing this, since the ink is barely dry on the deal between 10 Downing Street and Kyiv), then there's been a re-evaluation of how classified it is. Since the UK developed Chobham and licensed its production to the US and other NATO members, they get to decide what they do with it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 15, 2023

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
gently caress I just realized that half of the tool kit for the Abrams is in imperial measurements and hoo boy what a gently caress up that was and what a gently caress up that will continue to be.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

not caring here posted:

gently caress I just realized that half of the tool kit for the Abrams is in imperial measurements and hoo boy what a gently caress up that was and what a gently caress up that will continue to be.

Remind me again why the gently caress the US continues to stick with imperial measurements when metric is objectively better in all ways, including providing a convenient socket in every tool set (10mm) to hurl across your garage into a dark corner to just go ahead and get it over with?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

orange juche posted:

Remind me again why the gently caress the US continues to stick with imperial measurements when metric is objectively better in all ways, including providing a convenient socket (10mm) to hurl across your garage into a dark corner to just go ahead and get it over with?

Tradition

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Seriously my old man bought like 30 10mm sockets from Harbor Freight and hands them out and never gets them back even though he asks nicely

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

orange juche posted:

Remind me again why the gently caress the US continues to stick with imperial measurements when metric is objectively better in all ways, including providing a convenient socket in every tool set (10mm) to hurl across your garage into a dark corner to just go ahead and get it over with?

Big business bribing congress because retooling and measuring is expensive. Sorry, I mean lobbying.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

not caring here posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck that

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

orange juche posted:

The really lol part is all the American engineers I know work in metric and have to convert it back to imperial for the home market

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I hated working in the trades in canada because of you guys. Had to buy both imperial and metric tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

orange juche posted:

Now that the UK has stepped across the threshold, expect a shitpile of M1A2s that were parked in the high desert (whoops, the ones parked in US boneyards are A1 and base models awaiting modernization) to get shipped to Ukraine in less than a year.

(honestly it's surprising that tanks were such a sticking point when we already gave Ukraine more advanced poo poo than an M1A2, namely HIMARS)
As I understand it, Abrams aren't a very good fit for Ukraine because of the high fuel consumption and maintenance requirements.

So I guess the US will rather encourage other countries to send tanks. There's about 1500 Leopard 2's in NATO service. I'm sure we can miss a couple of hundreds.