Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

While this drama unfolded on Spectrum, the :reddit: main sub has one citizen gushing over the bartender having animations.

The most animation ever seen by OP, I guss the last game they played was Populous on the Amiga.
(Id have said Agony, Awesome, Alien Breed or Syndicate but those totally had more animations than CIG's bartender)

The Wing Commander bartender had animations. It required two megs of RAM, though, I think. I was really amazed as a kid when my dad upgraded our computer and the bartender polished the bar and cleaned glasses.

e: CR style snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Star Citizen: Just because you don't see it, does not mean it's not there.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

Kosumo posted:

Star Citizen: Just because you don't see it, does not mean it's not there.

Relevant:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ValidEssentialIchthyostega-mobile.mp4

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ships bought ingame aren't real. :(

:tinfoil: theory: CIG actually does tweak the stats of ships that players actually buy to make them slightly OP in some way, incentivizing people to buy more. Yeah, I know it's 99.999% a placebo effect, but some lizard part of my brain is telling me it's plausible.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

CommissarMega posted:

:tinfoil: theory: CIG actually does tweak the stats of ships that players actually buy to make them slightly OP in some way, incentivizing people to buy more. Yeah, I know it's 99.999% a placebo effect, but some lizard part of my brain is telling me it's plausible.

Objection!

CIG cant even make their standard ships work properly, or create a believable flight model, to think they'd be competent enough to make bought ships perform better is preposterous!

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 15, 2023

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Is that the new game Duck Duck Dog that Chris is about to pay "hamage" too?

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Kosumo posted:

Chris is about to pay "hamage" too?

-CIGautotranslatebot activated :psylon:

-SETmode: CIGspeech to English

to pay homage: to copy, to rip off (with the intent to sell said copy to people with poor impulse control for a tidy sum)

e.g.: the Scorpius clarly pays homage to the beloved X-Wing

Thank you for using CIGautotranslatebot, have a productive day citizen.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Oh wow :shibe:

"It's like Star Wars, but you're able to live it all through a game. Sure, nothing of this is in SC currently, but with SQ42 we will get to see the first bit"

"I believe with the utmost belief that Star Citizen is the first breath of a Star Wars-like franchise in game format."

Indeed, apart from the small detail that nothing is in game SC is totally a huge game, the platform for a franchise, a game with 100 solar systems with people, stories and events, CIG will totally produce many complementary more story games.

Do you see the potential? Do you believe with the utmost belief?

Why do all these specimens come out during the weekend, when no one is around to se the great stuff I find for you guys? So sad.

:negative:

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 15, 2023

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

"It's like Star Wars, but you're able to live it all through a game. Sure, nothing of this is in SC currently, but with SQ42 we will get to see the first bit"

"I believe with the utmost belief that Star Citizen is the first breath of a Star Wars-like franchise in game format."

Indeed, apart from the small detail that nothing is in game SC is totally a huge game, the platform for a franchise, a game with 100 solar systems with people, stories and events, CIG will totally produce many more story games for this franchise.

Do you see the potential?

Why do all these specimens come out during the weekend, when no one is around to se the great stuff I find for you guys? So sad.

Every hype post from the citizens comes across as like, a guy from the 50s cryogenically frozen who's never seen a video game before and Star Citizen is their first so they're just blown away at being able to control a character in a three dimensional environment

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

arsenicCatnip posted:

Every hype post from the citizens comes across as like, a guy from the 50s cryogenically frozen who's never seen a video game before and Star Citizen is their first so they're just blown away at being able to control a character in a three dimensional environment

Also like that wow, the world-building is so great, the only possible result is a world-domineering franchise the scale of which has only been seen by Star Wars and Pokemon.
Like people think that Harry Potter was a big cultural force, it's a whole order of magnitude lower than the above 2.

The world from Broken Earth is great but no franchise came out of that. And for a more white-guy sourced world, consider Malazan Book of the Fallen. Incredibly thorough world with innovative ideas and it's just books.

I think you're right though, they just seem to be blown away by the idea of a fleshed-out story in a game, or 3-d models that it's just ground breaking to them.

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

arsenicCatnip posted:

Yeah I think you're right there, I remember starting up Unreal for the first time back in the late 90s and it just blew me away, these guys must be feeling the same way but have not played a game since the megadrive days.

Going back even further I remember playing on one of those Pong clones in the late 70s when i was four years old and being amazed that I was controlling something on the telly.

I don't get that same sense of wonder watching someone t-pose then fall through the floor.

skyelevator fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 15, 2023

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

That is the last time CR made a game

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Nonbeliever citizen posts "AI looks bad because server performance" AI with 30 server fps :

https://v.redd.it/75p24tc3o6ca1/DASH_1080.mp4

Desperate believers respond :

quote:

I'll go out on a limb and say server FPS is probably not the only factor in how well the AI perform.

quote:

AI is not prioritized higher than many other server threads too. It’s a lot more complex than just the fps value.

quote:

think OP just wanted to complain so they're pretending the average server FPS (an FPS report weighted by historical performance) around 30 is the current server FPS.

There was probably some poo poo going down in a city somewhere like 20 ships having a physics collision war underneath New Babbage hangars.

quote:

It's almost as if the game is still in development and the focus is on the build of other more foundational features. :)

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

RuckusRouser posted:

Did his salary grow from 150k in 2015 to 545k in 2021?

Sort of, but you've picked the £ figure for 2015 and $ figure for 2021. He also had much higher benefits in 2015 than in later years (private pension contributions).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1614608452290056193

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nonbeliever citizen posts "AI looks bad because server performance" AI with 30 server fps :

None of this makes any loving sense

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

in a reply:

https://twitter.com/DragonbornZane/status/1614620221305749505

Yep that's totally the only thing that doesn't fit.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Mellow_ posted:

Yep that's totally the only thing that doesn't fit.

Vroom vroom

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

LOL

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games >Star Citizen: this is just a wet dream of mine

Jonny Shiloh fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 15, 2023

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mustache Ride posted:

That is the last time CR made a game

If you got into a time machine and said "Take me to the last time CR made a game." you would slip into a space between dimensions, as the machine looped through infinite different realities trying to find one that fits the condition, and never does.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Objection!

CIG cant even make their standard ships work properly, or create a believable flight model, to think they'd be competent enough to make bought ships perform better is preposterous!

No one said anything about properly but it's pretty trivial to bump a few stats up to make ships op even for these clowns... I mean, :pgi: used to always do this whenever a new mech released and was cash only and they'd immediately 'discover' and 'fix' the problems as soon as they were available for c-bills. It's hard to imagine that :cig: isn't at least as competent in being scummy as pgi

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

So. Many. Rocks.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

get your ducks in a row.
again:
get your ducks in a row

why? there is no reason, you will make it even without it.
but a row of ducks is just super-chic.

way more chic then a barcitizen picture

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

SC is still more lethal than CoD!

https://v.redd.it/77thv2e6z3ca1/DASH_1080.mp4

Advice from citizens below:

quote:

Rushing is actually the best way to not get shot, because NPCs can't hit moving targets.

quote:

Staying still on one spot is the worst thing to do. They cannot hit you as long as you are moving.

quote:

easiest thing to do is just don't stop moving. I haven't even been shot yet and I've probably done 20 of these runs

Quanta AI NPCs can't hit moving targets :gary:

I also want to add, SC prides itself as this realistic, immersive sim game that's totally skill based only to have hit markers like any FPS plebs game..go figure. :shrug:

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 15, 2023

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

SC is still more lethal than CoD!

https://v.redd.it/77thv2e6z3ca1/DASH_1080.mp4

Advice from citizens below:

Quanta AI NPCs can't hit moving targets :gary:

I also want to add, SC prides itself as this realistic, immersive sim game that's totally skill based only to have hit markers like any FPS plebs game..go figure. :shrug:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

still incredibly loving funny that this is the result of billions of dollars in game development

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
The bartenders have the same issue. They had to be taught to put the glass down on the counter before pouring anything.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Orange Carlisle posted:

still incredibly loving funny that this is the result of billions of dollars in game development

They've lost something like $10 billion on the project to do something worse than VR Chat. You know, the software that everyone already uses that was built faster for cheaper in a lot less time with more features. Are we sure Mark Zuckerberg isn't just a huge Chris Roberts fan?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Shazback posted:

The bartenders have the same issue. They had to be taught to put the glass down on the counter before pouring anything.

In this allegory the barkeeper actually first learns how to create their own glasses and shakers from raw materials and after 10 years, only two glasses are done and the barkeeper only knows one drink and ice is just chilly water cause it's tier 0 and they haven't gotten the freezing process right cause they had to invent the fridge.

Each drink is 450 bucks, tho.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Anyone claiming ai is not a foundational feature doesn't know what they're saying. :colbert:

I think it's a safe bet that, like all things cig does, ai will be developed in its own vacuum and work in certain parts of the game differently than others.

It will also barely function, and probably people believing that it's not working due to server tick rates aren't seeing the back end of the server where it's spitting out an endless stream of errors.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Indeed, apart from the small detail that nothing is in game SC is totally a huge game, the platform for a franchise, a game with 100 solar systems with people, stories and events, CIG will totally produce many complementary more story games.

Do you see the potential? Do you believe with the utmost belief?

quick question, what the gently caress is with this guy's avatar?

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

The "citizens haven't played a game since the 90s" might look like a joke, but in many cases it totally isn't.

Want proof? Welcome to "citizens react to simple stuff"

Textures, cracks, barcodes! Using beds and doors! :shibe:

The shadows move! :shibe:

Procedural generation, long ships, weather and light coming from the sun! :shibe:

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

oh my god, they're all literally this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G4uju-apXQ

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

The "citizens haven't played a game since the 90s" might look like a joke, but in many cases it totally isn't.

Want proof? Welcome to "citizens react to simple stuff"

Textures, cracks, barcodes! Using beds and doors! :shibe:

The shadows move! :shibe:

Procedural generation, long ships, weather and light coming from the sun! :shibe:

Whoa. So, they haven't really seen a modern game in fifteen years or more? I wonder, despite this, how many of these people complain about AAA's being recycled ripoffs with MTs and stuff.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I can't believe you fudsters doubted CIG. Fighting against incredible odds, they've done the seemingly impossible, never before done, many would not dare to even attempt it - light can change direction!

I can't believe citizens didn't notice this sooner, they've been taking screenshots of sunsets for like 8 years

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
You may not like it, but this is what peak gameplay looks like

https://twitter.com/LittleJackPlayz/status/1614308523948609536

And now some actual :supaburn:EPIC fight:supaburn: - shooting a sitting duck until it suddenly disappears without a trace. $500 million BDSSE, baby :c00l:

https://v.redd.it/fynsg9vsp7ca1/DASH_480.mp4

If this was in E:D, that big ship would have to be already disabled to be so motionless and passive.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 16, 2023

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

arsenicCatnip posted:

oh my god, they're all literally this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G4uju-apXQ

Fuuuck, I totally played that game when I was a kid! I still remember the wireframe trench run!

It was a great game back then, but funnily enough even though I've played it Im not impressed by Star Citizen. :shrug:

Dwesa posted:

And now some actual :supaburn:EPIC fight:supaburn: - shooting a sitting duck until it suddenly disappears without a trace. $500 million BDSSE, baby :c00l:

I'm the ship rubberbanding around at 0:24.
Notice how OP switches view as soon as they notice how lovely it looks with that big ship floating and teleporting around XD

Also superb ship design where you have two to four big guns throwing huge bright lights in your face whenever you fire in first person.

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 16, 2023

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I always enjoy the dimorphism between graphics and gameplay and how the gameplay is super duper levels of not even a shareware title.

I'm glad people are happy that if they can zoom in on a barcode on an air duct vent in the level set, that it makes up for the fact the actual game part of the game is rather broken and barely functional and full of bad decisions.

That's a special market cig has, I hope they are selling that mailing list at a premium cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Hey guys, who wants to become friends with Star Citizen NPCs and maybe gently caress them too?
Raise your hands!

(for those not browsing Spectrum regularly, and I dont blame you, using ChatGPT to make NPCs and missions more varied and believable is the new great idea backers came up with)