Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

priznat posted:

I love Mike's plan to commit crimes so you don't get dragged to crime scene 2.. that is now crime scene 3!

Crime Scene 2 is completely skippable. Just watch Crime Scene 3 that's when they start taking risks!1!1!1

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i watched star trek generations and first contact, is it worth watching insurrection or nemesis? from what i read on letterboxd they are both poo poo

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i jest but it is genuinely horrifying that a good swath of the American population unironically consumes media like Strong Against Crime (see also: the Cops tv show and The Shield) and are able to exert their influence on the most vulnerable populations

but whatevs:v:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 15, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
you need to consider that most people, in aggregate, are basically just bored 50 year olds looking for something on TV. the dumbass cop poo poo is the loudest and first.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Sunk Dunk posted:

i watched star trek generations and first contact, is it worth watching insurrection or nemesis? from what i read on letterboxd they are both poo poo

Insurrection is a laugh and Nemesis is a slog

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Tar Trek

starring Tar

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Sunk Dunk posted:

They're ok but the main reason to watch them would be so you can get a better understanding of the plinkett reviews on them. By today's action movie standards, they are absolutely not worth the price of a movie ticket and it feels shocking that they ever could have been.

Lister fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 15, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Sunk Dunk posted:

insurrection is actually not bad despite the poo poo people say. it's just a huge b+ TNG episode. nemesis i can't even sit through.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh man they discovered Carman. I've always been somewhat aware of him, though thankfully he was way too cheesy for my parents to get behind. Very big among early '90s evangelicals who were, like, just slightly too old to be youth pastors. And/or theater kids who never quite made it.

Aside from that one super :yikes: Christian Nationalist one, and, well, the fact that it's all pretty laughable, I do have sort of a weird respect for the sheer effort involved. He had a message and some talent and he saw music as a means to that end, and somehow he made it happen, even though he didn't really seem all that interested in... like, actual good artistry. The production values of both the visuals and the music were pretty legit. But at the core of it was just the corniest man who ever lived.

He had more than one eyebrow-raiser, for sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJiheZ3aEug

The servant of satan is named Isaac Horowitz, you say?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

roomtone posted:

insurrection is actually not bad despite the poo poo people say. it's just a huge b+ TNG episode. nemesis i can't even sit through.

With nemesis, I think anyone would be fine to just watch the last half hour. It's almost all space ship action, but in the standard star trek way instead of the jj abrams style that all scifi movies would follow after 2009.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sunk Dunk posted:

Not really, I’d go watch the original series movies, they’re much better.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i think all of the TNG movies are worth watching. they're all very distinct. you've got generations - weird crossover nostalgia bit, first contact - violence picard, totally destroys his character. insurrection - far too much 'funny' data but actually a decent picard story. nemesis - bald hardy.

none of them are really good, not like say, star trek 1 2 4 and 6 are good, but they're all fairly entertaining except nemesis which legitimately sucks.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/juicemaster/status/1415285174523334662?t=fUCG4fSsNj1oWFUNIATCug&s=19

Jason Vale Retweeted
https://twitter.com/healthbyjames/status/1614358671944712193?t=8Kz4pLibs5UiIa-FW0UFKQ&s=19

:lol: you can't tell me this guy ain't a Musk replyguy

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 15, 2023

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
yeah vale and carman were both ahead of the curve on modern america

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

ugh

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
in the spirit of content, this is actually really old but i'm about to make things again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8JAeWjmo9o

roomtone fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 15, 2023

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sunk Dunk posted:

lol it’s barely worth watching generations or first contact. insurrection is a bad movie but maybe a passable two parter episode and nemesis should never be watched ever

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The TOS movies might be the best TV show to movie adaptations ever.
The TNG ones are a sad imitation of the show. If you're a TNG fan I can't really recommend any of them and if you're not I definitely wouldn't because as standalone movies they're just not good.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

bitterandtwisted posted:

The TOS movies might be the best TV show to movie adaptations ever.
The TNG ones are a sad imitation of the show. If you're a TNG fan I can't really recommend any of them and if you're not I definitely wouldn't because as standalone movies they're just not good.

tos movies are like - well, that went really well. everything translated, the arcs got even better.

tng movies are just. DATA FUNNY. PICARD VIOLENT

it's so loving weird

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

the movies were Stewart’s revenge for the show not dying on season 1

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

“Provide me with a undying fanbase and steady paycheck for life will you!?”

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFhGzo6qEZg

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The characterizations are actually pretty solid in Generations , it's a shame the script was such a rush job. (Data is kind of an outlier there for obvious reasons.) That movie has a great feel to it. But everything they had to do to cram Kirk in there just didn't work.

And it feels like they just gave up after that. First Contact may have been an objectively better movie, but it gave up a lot of ground just to be a decent action movie that's ultimately not all that special in hindsight. The B plot is fun enough, but lacks urgency and feels like killing time until the ending.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you plan to watch the Mike reviews after the TNG movies, it's worth a watch. These movies were the motivation of Mike started making movie reviews.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was trying to think if TNG had anything that would have benefited from being done as a movie instead of a TV story. Maybe expand one with a big movie budget the series was still on the air (Not unheard of, as X-Files Fight The Future had a movie while that series was still ongoing).

Still trying to think of a good episode that would have worked, though. Time's Arrow sort of jumps to mind as Trek did have some success with 'time travel plots' with Voyage Home, and being a mostly period piece film would have let them go a bit more all-out on trying to have something a bit bigger than a typical TV show look.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'll make the case for TMP as the best TOS movie (should be easy enough hre considering there's a re:view saying basically that), but Star Trek IV is my favorite.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
didnt something funny happen with the worm tape creators a while ago? like one of them died? or maybe they were the same person as that weird rear end energy episode with the creepy cameraman

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

stephenthinkpad posted:

If you plan to watch the Mike reviews after the TNG movies, it's worth a watch. These movies were the motivation of Mike started making movie reviews.

did plinkett ever review the original star trek movies?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

didnt something funny happen with the worm tape creators a while ago? like one of them died? or maybe they were the same person as that weird rear end energy episode with the creepy cameraman

One of the kids from Wormania died in Iraq iirc

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I was trying to think if TNG had anything that would have benefited from being done as a movie instead of a TV story. Maybe expand one with a big movie budget the series was still on the air (Not unheard of, as X-Files Fight The Future had a movie while that series was still ongoing).

Still trying to think of a good episode that would have worked, though. Time's Arrow sort of jumps to mind as Trek did have some success with 'time travel plots' with Voyage Home, and being a mostly period piece film would have let them go a bit more all-out on trying to have something a bit bigger than a typical TV show look.

Hell yeah just give that insane mark Twain guy two hours of screen time

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

DaysBefore posted:

One of the kids from Wormania died in Iraq iirc

Oh. Well that's less funny than I recall

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Randarkman posted:

I'll make the case for TMP as the best TOS movie (should be easy enough hre considering there's a re:view saying basically that), but Star Trek IV is my favorite.

IV is the most fun. It helps that humpback whale populations have made a great recovery since then. It would be too depressing to watch if they'd gone extinct instead.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I like that navigation whales are star trek canon now but no one mentions it because it's dumb

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Whale movie is the best. All OG crew movies are good. I can watch the Shat one again.

Do other good TV shows even have good adaptations in movie format? I can only think of Macross off the top of my head.

Having multiple good movie is so rare.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
am I strange in that I read all the novelizations well before I saw any of the movies?

yes, the Generations novelization

... which made me confused and think that kirk and picard were canonically both alive simultaneously in normal star trek

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

stephenthinkpad posted:

Whale movie is the best. All OG crew movies are good. I can watch the Shat one again.

Do other good TV shows even have good adaptations in movie format? I can only think of Macross off the top of my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwpXUn2dF5c

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well I haven't see the OG Mission Impossible show, but this thread never discussed it so I assume its not very good like the Prisoner or Colombo show. All Tom Cruise movies are Tom Cruise vehicles. I assume they are very different from the originals, like whenever Stanley Kubrick adopt a book.

Also Jack Rreacher movies, as mid as they are, way better than those garbage books.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Not many I can think of if you only include original cast movies. IPs like Mission Impossible or Addams Family have been reimagined well with new casts

Southpark
Some kids cartoons like Spongebob and Teen Titans Go
Naked Gun technically counts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also Jack Rreacher movies, as mid as they are, way better than those garbage books.

the amazon tv show was some high caliber schlock. cant wait for season 2 of large beef punch