Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I know there is a thread for it, but is there an easy one click way to play a modernized Morrowind? I kind of want to play it, but I don't really feel like dealing with piles of mods and load orders and all that crap at the moment.

you literally dont need to mod morrowind. It's still, to this day, an excellent RPG made by geniuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Editting a post out when posted in the wrong thread is cowardice imo. Just add a wrong thread note to the end

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Randallteal posted:

Re: One Piece, I love OP but I kind of hate the post-timeskip character designs. Usopp and Nami got it the worst but I don't feel like any of them are really an upgrade, and they always look really weird to me in 3D.

:sigh: these characters used to be so cute!

While I do actually really like the post timeskip designs for the most part (:rip: Pre-Timeskip Franky :smith:), the game does come with alternate costumes that put the Strawhats back in their pre-timeskip outfits, which I thought was a nice touch.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SirSamVimes posted:

Editting a post out when posted in the wrong thread is cowardice imo. Just add a wrong thread note to the end

it's about bravery in video game posting

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

explosivo posted:

Steam thread, I finished P5R and was thinking about keeping this train rolling and checking out Yakuza Like a Dragon but I've never played a Yakuza game before. I really liked the social stuff and numbers-going-up aspect of P5R but also was surprised with how much I loved the turn based combat. Is Like a Dragon going to scratch a similar itch and also is it going to be okay jumping into this series at Yakuza 7?
I'm currently playing LAD as my entry to Yakuza and it's been working well so far, I don't think I've run into a single character the game just expects me to know up to chapter 4. The combat system is definitely reminiscent of SMT/Persona, and there's some very light social sim aspects as you build your relationships with your party.

The main plot writing is definitely more Yakuza than Persona, afaik, and the game is riffing on Dragon Quest, which is mentioned by name several times, so the sidequest writing is Yakuza by way of DQ.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The real play is to deliberately type "e: wrong thread" and refuse to elaborate

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I know there is a thread for it, but is there an easy one click way to play a modernized Morrowind? I kind of want to play it, but I don't really feel like dealing with piles of mods and load orders and all that crap at the moment.

OpenMW

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

What changes to Morrowind does OpenMW make on its own? I thought it was basically to have Morrowind in a more modern and compatible engine in order to be able to play the game on like Android and future versions of Windows that may break the vanilla game?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Well, I'm 40 minutes into Outer Wilds and I think I hate it. Flying that ship and visiting ruins on other weird planetoids and the controls are really annoying me. I hate playing first person games with a controller but the flying sections really need it so I'm always swapping between them. This might be my first refund.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't think anyone expected this outcome

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Gromit posted:

Well, I'm 40 minutes into Outer Wilds and I think I hate it. Flying that ship and visiting ruins on other weird planetoids and the controls are really annoying me. I hate playing first person games with a controller but the flying sections really need it so I'm always swapping between them. This might be my first refund.

That's weird because i literally never used a controller and I felt I did fine in the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gromit posted:

Booo! Get better material!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The Outer Wilds would be better if it had a few guns.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Gromit posted:

Sorry, no. You have to like it. Try harder.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Commander Keene posted:

What changes to Morrowind does OpenMW make on its own? I thought it was basically to have Morrowind in a more modern and compatible engine in order to be able to play the game on like Android and future versions of Windows that may break the vanilla game?

OpenMW is, AFAIK, all around smoother and more stable, period and has most bug fixes and niceties like "running at a proper resolution" baked in. If the goal is to jump into Morrowind with minimal fuckery, that's the way to go.

If we're talking a more broad definition of "modernize" like better graphics assets and such, that's mod territory. Pretty sure there's modpacks (for both versions of the game) that will simplify the process but you need to get your hands at least a little bit dirty to effect changes on that level.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 15, 2023

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Begemot posted:

Yeah, the combat is so good, it kind of ruined Elden Ring for me. Also between the soul cores in 2 and all the special martial attacks stuff you can unlock, it feels more like you can fight bosses on an even level. Like you can also call upon bullshit attacks that give you super armor at a moment's notice.

Yeah, I found the combat in all the soulslikes I tried to be kinda one-note and boring, whereas Nioh 2 really hits the spot just right. When the rhythm of stance changes and ki recovery clicks it's just :discourse:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i never finished outer wilds but that's because i am SPECTACULARLY bad at zero g maneuvering

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Just play Outer Wilds with a mouse and keyboard. I never touched the controller when playing and I did fine.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Gromit posted:

I'm afraid you're wrong.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gromit posted:

soul issue

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Outer Wilds needed more Souls-like combat. There, I said it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Banjos Collected 0/572

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

soul issue

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

If you're easily frustrated Outer Wilds is not a great game for that IMO.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I'll give it another 40 minutes or something, and take a look at the key binds to see if I can get them better suited. Maybe the flying will feel better then, as it seems like it will be a huge part of the game.
Glad a bunch of you love this thing, but maybe it's not for me.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

If the mystery and exploration doesn't grab you, you aren't going to like Outer Wilds :shrug:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I almost forced myself to play Outer Wilds after bouncing off and seeing overwhelming critical praise for it, don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the game once I took the time to understand what it wanted from me but I definitely had to seek outside help at least a few times and had to almost motivate myself to keep playing which might be a huge red flag for some people but I'm glad I did it

I'm just kinda sad that once you've beaten it it'll never be the same again :ohdear:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Is there anything in particular about the flight controls that is bothering you?

Phigs posted:

If you're easily frustrated Outer Wilds is not a great game for that IMO.

The rumor board in the spaceship can be helpful for guidance when feeling frustrated or stuck (particularly by telling you if there's more to see somewhere) but the core of the game is blind exploration and running into walls where it isn't always obvious what to do next.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
40 minutes isn't long enough to go through two chunks of gameplay and I think you need at least that to understand what's going on properly. But if you already know about that, and you just can't live with the controls, then it's a huge shame but maybe you're better off watching someone play it or something. It's a lovely story to experience either way but it's so *good* when you work stuff out yourself.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

you'll know for sure 2hrs 1min in

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I somehow went through 95% of the game before noticing there was an autopilot you can use when locked on to something. On the off chance you've not noticed it yet, it will generally make traversal between planets simpler, but pootling about on them by ship will still be on you.

Also every crash you can walk away from is a success and there is an eject button in the cockpit...

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 15, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just remember to put on your space suit before exiting the ship!

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
there's a lot that's incredible about outer wilds but there's also some tedious bullshit like the anglerfish that was annoying enough that i unfortunately never finished it. the clunky piloting & platforming combined with high penalty for death (having to restart the entire loop which can take up a fair bit of time getting back to where you were) really contrasts with how great everything else is

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

ErrEff posted:

The rumor board in the spaceship can be helpful for guidance when feeling frustrated or stuck (particularly by telling you if there's more to see somewhere) but the core of the game is blind exploration and running into walls where it isn't always obvious what to do next.

The worst is doing something you think should work only for it not to because you missed the small window in which it works or the path you needed randomly broke early.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i finished it without dying once. it was frankly very easy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have never died in a video game.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

exquisite tea posted:

whoa, we got real gamer here

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

exquisite tea posted:

I haven't even died IRL

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

John Murdoch posted:

OpenMW is, AFAIK, all around smoother and more stable, period and has most bug fixes and niceties like "running at a proper resolution" baked in. If the goal is to jump into Morrowind with minimal fuckery, that's the way to go.

If we're talking a more broad definition of "modernize" like better graphics assets and such, that's mod territory. Pretty sure there's modpacks (for both versions of the game) that will simplify the process but you need to get your hands at least a little bit dirty to effect changes on that level.

Also you don't need to do any of that. Morrowind is basically a perfect experience already and it's a deeply easy game to boot unless you run into a guy with a skinkblade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

It's funny that most of my Elder Scroll experiences are sort of a blur, but by far my most fond memory is of playing Morrowind with my Argonian class I called a 'skirmisher' which specialized in spears, medium armor, and some kind of magics I don't remember. I was definitely disappointed when Oblivion basically deleted my character concept by doing away with spears and medium armor.

e: wrong word