Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ofecks posted:

I went to my local one yesterday, looking for a saucepan, since Walmart didn't have what I needed. I hadn't been there in several years. There was a lot of empty space in there, from what I remember of last time, and I was one of maybe 5 customers max. Was pretty sad, really.

And they didn't have any single pans to purchase, only sets (some really expensive poo poo, at that). So I walked out empty-handed. Retail is fun.

I feel like there's a bunch of chains that decided they were going to market themselves as a "premium" upper middle class experience that basically amounted to putting an unreasonable mark up on a more "curated" (smaller) inventory selection as a strategy when Walmart started expanding like crazy. That worked well enough to stave off immediate collapse and maybe even allowed some minor short term growth under good economic conditions but it basically has been just delaying their inevitable deaths for a stupidly long time especially now that Amazon is on the scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

italian quid posted:

I feel like there's a bunch of chains that decided they were going to market themselves as a "premium" upper middle class experience that basically amounted to putting an unreasonable mark up on a more "curated" (smaller) inventory selection as a strategy when Walmart started expanding like crazy. That worked well enough to stave off immediate collapse and maybe even allowed some minor short term growth under good economic conditions but it basically has been just delaying their inevitable deaths for a stupidly long time especially now that Amazon is on the scene.

Yup, the only retail that makes money now is Walmart, Costco, and grocery stores. Everything else that’s not furniture is basically dead.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
IDK, I think that’s a bit of an exaggeration.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Look at this guy who has never walked by a Lego Store.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
This thread makes me very grateful to not live in the US

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

does daiso count as grocery

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ookiimarukochan posted:

You're years late there they got rid of the skimpy outfits in early-mid 2016 (my coworkers took me there and were crushed when all the women were dressed in very conservative outfits as apparently they only used to break those out on Sundays for the post-church crowd)

How can somebody not die of shame going to a place called Bone Daddy's

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Coasterphreak posted:

Yup, the only retail that makes money now is Walmart, Costco, and grocery stores. Everything else that’s not furniture is basically dead.

Dollar General and Family Dollar for places too deep in the rural sticks to have a Piggly-Wiggly or Foodland-type grocery store.

Corner bodegas for those stuck in urban food deserts.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
There's drug/convenience stores, hardware stores, Apple Stores, Target, car parts stores, pet stores, cosmetics stores, shoe stores, and more I'm probably forgetting. Those places aren't going away anytime soon.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

silence_kit posted:

There's drug/convenience stores, hardware stores, Apple Stores, Target, car parts stores, pet stores, cosmetics stores, shoe stores, and more I'm probably forgetting. Those places aren't going away anytime soon.

Oh you mean a walmart?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

20 years ago (!) I was working at a supermarket. Part of the orientation was some informational materials that said grocery retail operates on an extremely thin profit margin, like 1% or less. Who knows how accurate that is because the chain I worked for was extremely anti-union so most of us were paid minimum wage.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’d always heard that to and wondered if it was bs. I guess here in Canada they are launching an investigation into grocery stores that raised their pricing? I’m hoping something comes of it, but a guest CBC Radio had in said not to expect anything.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Ofecks posted:

20 years ago (!) I was working at a supermarket. Part of the orientation was some informational materials that said grocery retail operates on an extremely thin profit margin, like 1% or less. Who knows how accurate that is because the chain I worked for was extremely anti-union so most of us were paid minimum wage.

I mean, with creative accounting those companies can make any profit margin they want. If they want to advertise that they operate on one percent but they actually make five percent, then gee wouldn't you know Kroger Distribution and Cash Register Leasing just increased their prices, there's nothing Kroger Grocery can do about it they really have us over a barrel. It's the same reason the Lord of the Rings franchise "lost" money. It's just so terrible that Universal Marketing skyrocketed their prices, there's nothing Universal Film can do about it. Fun fact, this is one of the ways Trump's dad passed his wealth onto his kids. The kids' company literally sold $500 a unit napkins to their dad's hotels.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Ofecks posted:

Same, and at both that job and another one, part of my training involved watching an anti-union propaganda video.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Canada had a bread price-fixing scandal

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Ofecks posted:

That probably depends heavily on the country. But in the markets I'm somewhat half familiar with, supermarkets do operate on razor thin margins, but they also shift a ton of volume all day every day. I strongly suspect that's only true in markets with actual competition, though.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Unless you live in a rural area, there is a ton of competition between supermarkets/grocery stores in the US!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Splash Attack posted:

does daiso count as grocery

No.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Here in NZ there are a total of 2 supermarket companies and they are hated with a passion, second only to petrol companies, largely due to blatant price fixing.

How bad is it? Well recently some enterprising people found it was cheaper to buy food, including nz grown food, from Australia and have it shipped across. Nearly 35% cheaper on some goods.
Dollar adjusted nearly twice what Americans pay for produce.

5th highest food prices in 38 oecd nations despite us being an agricultural country. loving capitalism man

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

I’d always heard that to and wondered if it was bs. I guess here in Canada they are launching an investigation into grocery stores that raised their pricing? I’m hoping something comes of it, but a guest CBC Radio had in said not to expect anything.

without getting too far into the weeds on this I think that is largely being driven by the NDP and is going to end up being a dead end, I'm not really sure why they picked that fight. Operating a supermarket is a supply chain heavy industry that actually got hit with real inflation when gas prices went up and when you looked at their profit growth it was above normal but it wasn't absurd like if you looked at a domestic oil and gas company or some other industry.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

carrionman posted:

Here in NZ there are a total of 2 supermarket companies and they are hated with a passion, second only to petrol companies, largely due to blatant price fixing.

How bad is it? Well recently some enterprising people found it was cheaper to buy food, including nz grown food, from Australia and have it shipped across. Nearly 35% cheaper on some goods.
Dollar adjusted nearly twice what Americans pay for produce.

5th highest food prices in 38 oecd nations despite us being an agricultural country. loving capitalism man

Same thing in Norway. 95% of all grocery stores (big and small) are controlled by three companies with one of them (Norgesgruppen) having a market share of 45%. One of the reasons it has one of the most expensive food prices in the world (others include huge import tariffs and monopolies in certain food sectors like dairy).

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Ofecks posted:

Grocery stores will have a very thin profit margin per item sold, though they do earn plenty through volume. But the real money comes from something called a slotting fee, where they make manufacturers pay them to sell their stuff

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slotting_fee

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Tweetbot and other third-party clients stop working as Twitter 'intentionally' blocks API access

That's a good sign, right?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Ofecks posted:

That might be true in some areas, but I know here in Northern California we have the very common chain Safeway who’s everywhere and most packaged name-brand items are nearly double the price of the much smaller chain Winco, so obviously Safeway is making much more than 1%, even accounting for more expensive advertising and real estate costs. Safeway is notorious for understaffing their stores, too, so it ain’t labor costs either.

(BTW, Safeway is owned by evil scumfuck private equity assholes and Winco is 100% employee-owned, that might have something to do with it, of course)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

silence_kit posted:

Unless you live in a rural area, there is a ton of competition between supermarkets/grocery stores in the US!
Don't worry, Kroger's doing everything they can to change that by buying as many other chains as they can. :capitalism:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

It's a great sign that musk has tiny dick energy, as if we needed another. Maybe they can ask Digg for help while they flail.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ofecks posted:

Random example (which happens to be the chain that fixed bread prices)
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/loblaw-profits-booming-sales-1.6653223

quote:

Revenue totalled $17.39 billion, up from $16.05 billion in its third quarter of 2021.

quote:

In its drugstores like Shoppers Drug Mart, revenues benefited from elevated sales of higher-margin categories like beauty, cough and cold, Loblaw said.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I think Tweetbot saw this coming because they already have a mastodon client in beta. Obviously a much smaller market.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Haifisch posted:

Don't worry, Kroger's doing everything they can to change that by buying as many other chains as they can. :capitalism:

I get that this is the thread where we act all alarmist about this kind of stuff, but I live in a mid-sized metro area in the US, and there are ~10 different companies within reasonable driving distance where I can buy groceries.

In fact usually the tack taken by left-wing people when they are trying to find something about being a customer in American retail to complain about is that there is TOO much choice and TOO much competition in American retail.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

silence_kit posted:

I get that this is the thread where we act all alarmist about this kind of stuff, but I live in a mid-sized metro area in the US, and there are ~10 different companies within reasonable driving distance where I can buy groceries.

Any idea how many of those 10 are traditional grocery stores (rather than what the Food Industry Association defines as "non-traditional grocery stores" like wholesale clubs [Costco], variety stores [Dollar General], drug stores [CVS] or mass-market retailers [Wal-Mart]), and of those, how many are one of the 20+ chains that are part of Kroger, or the 20+ that are part of Albertsons*?

Yes, I got sucked into a research hole trying to figure out how many of my local grocery stores were owned by the same company and it was a bit depressing. if it's different where you are, you are #blessed.

(* If you're reading this post in a few years when the acquisition is over, read "one of the 40+ chains that are part of Kroger" instead).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

man i love Gwep's hot bar

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

The Obelisk Market’s Annual Bag-Bag sales jingle always gets stuck in my head

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Here’s what I’m counting. There are even more places to buy groceries ON TOP of this like the various ethnic grocery stores.

4 regional grocery stores with different ownership. 1 is owned by Kroger.
Costco
Walmart
Target
ALDI
Lidl
Trader Joe’s
Sprouts
Whole Foods

I think focusing on just normal grocery stores is misleading—there are many other places which absolutely compete with normal grocery stores.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 12:46 on Jan 16, 2023

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Food mommy

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
The small city I live in has, on one of the main roads, two differently named supermarkets right across the street from each other. They are both owned by the same company. I'm not sure if their pricing or selection is different. It was years ago before one of the chains bought the other. Not sure if it's some illusion of choice BS or if they were just too cheap to change the sign.

I think we have 7 total and will have an 8th soon.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

silence_kit posted:

Here’s what I’m counting. There are even more places to buy groceries ON TOP of this like the various ethnic grocery stores.

4 regional grocery stores with different ownership. 1 is owned by Kroger.
Costco
Walmart
Target
ALDI
Lidl
Trader Joe’s
Sprouts
Whole Foods

I think focusing on just normal grocery stores is misleading—there are many other places which absolutely compete with normal grocery stores.

Sorry if this is getting to derail like, but food deserts doesn’t mean the entire area / city doesn’t have multiple grocery stores.

Probably a lot of us are fortunate enough to live in areas with multiple stores. We are also fortunate enough to have options like cars where we can drive to them even if one is way, farther away.

There are def a ton of areas , obviously mostly areas of poverty, very small towns, or both, that do live in a food desert. Lucky if they have even a wal mart. Serviced only by a family dollar (which is not a real grocery store). Etc. no options nearby to get fresh / healthy groceries , and lots of time either can’t afford a car or even if they have one gas is expensive to drive 45 mins to the grocery store.

Like a lot of America , it’s invisible to a lot of people , like me for the record, who don’t have to live through those issues daily.

None of this is meant to be an attack btw. Just saying, it varies a lot and is a big issue.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

We weren't talking about food deserts. I'm just making a response to the bog standard thread ranting about capitalism. SA posters are like Bobby Boucher's mother in The Waterboy, but instead of the devil, all ills in society get blamed on KKKorporations and capitalism.

Retail is like one of the triumphs of American capitalism, at least if you ONLY focus on the consumer side of things. The issues in American retail are usually on the worker side, and this is partially because things are usually SO GOOD for the consumer.

But yeah in the case of big, but not-rich US cities, there's not a lot of retail in poor residential areas of the city. It is a problem. That one is not really caused by consolidation and lack of competition in American retail though.

In the case of small towns, which were previously mentioned by me, well, the reality is that Americans are moving away from small towns anyway.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 14:17 on Jan 16, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

But capitalism is the source of literally all our problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.