Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've not seen the classic series aside from Genesis of the Daleks, so they've not really moved backwards with the Master before for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

LividLiquid posted:

I've not seen the classic series aside from Genesis of the Daleks

:wtf:

Rectify this!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

I've not seen the classic series aside from Genesis of the Daleks, so they've not really moved backwards with the Master before for me.

You should watch more of the classic Doctor Who, because it's great. Also very cheaply made and obviously so, but that's okay, because it still rules!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ages ago when I first discovered Who, I tried to watch what was out there in chronological order and found there was literally no way to do that legally, (or even easily via :filez:) so I never got to do it.

Is it easier now?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There are still some stories only available as reconstructions, but a number of the missing stories have been officially released as animated versions which certainly makes it easier to watch.

Edit: A list of the current official animated reconstructions here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_missing_episodes#Animated_episodes

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 15, 2023

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Honestly Classic Who is the one show that doesn’t benefit from watching from episode 1.

Aside from the whole missing episode thing, the 60s stories can suffer from the slow storytelling of the time.

You’re better off cherry-picking certain stories from different eras to see what appeals and then explore more.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1614321470762524673

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Wonder how he'll get amnesia to forget about River Song this time!

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Confusedslight posted:

Wonder how he'll get amnesia to forget about River Song this time!

Those appear to be two separate stories - and 8th Doctor set and a River song set - unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious in the descriptions (caffeine still incoming, so distinctly possible).

But he'll still have to get amnesia since he meets her right before regen...So basically this, still, somehow.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

McGann posted:

Those appear to be two separate stories - and 8th Doctor set and a River song set - unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious in the descriptions (caffeine still incoming, so distinctly possible).

But he'll still have to get amnesia since he meets her right before regen...So basically this, still, somehow.

Eight isn't meeting River Song, there's a River Song boxset (which seems to be an original story with no returning elements, interesting!), and the fifth volume of the Eighth Doctor: Time War. Two different releases.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://twitter.com/mrunknownfc1/status/1612852284966277133

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Seems a bit harsh, Adric

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seems a bit ha-

Vinylshadow posted:

Seems a bit harsh, Adric

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

Ages ago when I first discovered Who, I tried to watch what was out there in chronological order and found there was literally no way to do that legally, (or even easily via :filez:) so I never got to do it.

Is it easier now?

The way I watched Classic was like this:

One PBS station was showing 6th Doctor episodes and was on Timelash-in the US they showed 90 minute edits of the whole story. Next week was Revelation of the Daleks, then since that was the newest episode...they started over at An Unearthly Child. I watched all the way through the first couple episodes of Tom Baker before I moved. When new seasons came out from the UK, they'd show them and dip back to the old run when done, so I saw everything up to the end of Sylvester "live" Meanwhile another PBS station was in the middle of Davison, and I saw that back through to Colin. And when I went to my grandmother's for a month, her PBS stations were in the middle of the Key To Time arc of Tom.

So there's really no "right" way to watch the old stuff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

So there's really no "right" way to watch the old stuff.

Racing home from school to be on time to see how Jon Pertwee was going to get out of THIS mess THIS time! :aaa:

Usually the same way he got out of exactly the same mess the episode (not story, episode) before, to be fair, but still! Good times, great memories :)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Pertwee era is super guilty of editing in new footage in the cliffhanger reprise that the audience just didn't see, the baldface cheats.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Pertwee era is super guilty of editing in new footage in the cliffhanger reprise that the audience just didn't see, the baldface cheats.

Clearly the Doctor just traveled back in time later and added in those elements to assure his victory!

Yes I know a large chunk of the Pertwee era he was stuck on Earth and also didn't remember how to use the TARDIS, but later on when he did he went back and saved the day for himself when he was younger, obviously!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Yes I know a large chunk of the Pertwee era he was stuck on Earth and also didn't remember how to use the TARDIS

Oh this has my interest, that's a fun concept. I liked when the Doctor took long term residence until the end of his life that one time. What's the best of Resident Earth Who edit: gonna watch spearhead from space

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 16, 2023

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jerusalem posted:

Clearly the Doctor just traveled back in time later and added in those elements to assure his victory!

Yes I know a large chunk of the Pertwee era he was stuck on Earth and also didn't remember how to use the TARDIS, but later on when he did he went back and saved the day for himself when he was younger, obviously!

That or it was Clara all along.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Oh this has my interest, that's a fun concept. I liked when the Doctor took long term residence until the end of his life that one time. What's the best of Resident Earth Who edit: gonna watch spearhead from space

Spearhead from Space is a good place to start and the Silurian story right after it is good, too. The follow up to Spearhead, Terror of the Autons, is another good pick because it kicks off an amusing season where every story has the Master as the villain. The Three Doctos closes out this era but it's a fun story, though Pertwee's Doctor still drops by UNIT all the time for more earthbound shenanigans.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Spearhead from Space is a great starting point, especially since - due to Union issues at the time, glad the UK learned their lesson and got that resolved forever! - the entire thing was shot on film and the blu-ray looks a lot nicer than the upscaled video footage for interiors used in every other story.

The UNIT Family era was a real good run for Who :)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The UNIT family is a bit eugh to me, but Series 7 is really good stuff.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, Spearhead from Space is a great starting point, especially since - due to Union issues at the time, glad the UK learned their lesson and got that resolved forever! - the entire thing was shot on film and the blu-ray looks a lot nicer than the upscaled video footage for interiors used in every other story.

The UNIT Family era was a real good run for Who :)

Going from Spearhead to Silurians is enough to cause physical whiplash. Good quality film to the garbage blurry video type that would sadly be the norm for the next couple of years.

It only gets worse with time Terror of the Autons which has the same awful videotape but this time with chromakey added in - even for baffling stuff like a kitchen (surely it would’ve been easier to just find a kitchen somewhere to film the shot).

It happens again in the Davison era. I’ve been watching on BritBox and there’s some scenes filmed on location with very high quality film that frankly looks fantastic in full HD, and then it cuts back to a studio shot on videotape.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
One thing that era did well is have enough extras around to make bases and facilities feel like actual places. It's a stark contrast to the near-empty drilling area in Hungry Earth / Cold Blood.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

McGann posted:

Those appear to be two separate stories - and 8th Doctor set and a River song set

Oops you're right! I misread it. But it's still a bit funny how many of the classic doctors met and have interacted with her by now.

Can't believe the river song series is on its 11th boxset now. So much to catch up on! I really enjoyed the first few that I listened to, even if it is a little hokey at times.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I am so far behind on Big Finish.... and I was doing so well till my commute changed!

I did love the River story where she encounters the 6th and 7th Doctors, and as is standard now (or was then) she has to make sure the Classic Doctors have no memory of her, so she tricks the 6th into losing his memory. But when she tries the same on the 7th he keeps easily sidestepping all her ploys and she's getting increasingly frustrated because he 's just very pleasantly and openly telling her,"I can see what you're trying to do, I don't know why you're doing it, but I am having tremendous fun not falling for any of it" and eventually she just has to openly appeal to him to let her "trick" him :allears:

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
7 is the best.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

But when she tries the same on the 7th he keeps easily sidestepping all her ploys and she's getting increasingly frustrated because he 's just very pleasantly and openly telling her,"I can see what you're trying to do, I don't know why you're doing it, but I am having tremendous fun not falling for any of it" and eventually she just has to openly appeal to him to let her "trick" him :allears:

Which one is that? That sounds like a fun listen

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Which one is that? That sounds like a fun listen

The Second Release, the stories are: The Unknown (River & 7), 5:29 (River), World Enough and Time (!) (River & 6), & The Eye of the Storm (River, 6 & 7).

The Eye of the Storm is the culmination of all four stories and it's got a bunch of great stuff of River being stymied by both Doctors and getting very irritated about it :)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

The Second Release, the stories are: The Unknown (River & 7), 5:29 (River), World Enough and Time (!) (River & 6), & The Eye of the Storm (River, 6 & 7).

The Eye of the Storm is the culmination of all four stories and it's got a bunch of great stuff of River being stymied by both Doctors and getting very irritated about it :)

Cheers for that

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1615397814523293697

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

I am so far behind on Big Finish.... and I was doing so well till my commute changed!

I did love the River story where she encounters the 6th and 7th Doctors, and as is standard now (or was then) she has to make sure the Classic Doctors have no memory of her, so she tricks the 6th into losing his memory. But when she tries the same on the 7th he keeps easily sidestepping all her ploys and she's getting increasingly frustrated because he 's just very pleasantly and openly telling her,"I can see what you're trying to do, I don't know why you're doing it, but I am having tremendous fun not falling for any of it" and eventually she just has to openly appeal to him to let her "trick" him :allears:

I honestly think what BF should have done was established that all the Doctors remember her and their adventures with her, until some point in Ten's adventures where he has all of his memories erased of her prior to "Silence in the Library". That way they don't have to continue coming up with ways for her to constantly erase their memories.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Glad she's still up to doing these. Was worried she might have been getting a bit sick of this role. I know a jobs a job but still. Oh cool! The short trips are definitely a highlight of the big finish output.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 18, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

Glad she's still up to doing these. Was worried she might have been getting a bit sick of this role. I know a jobs a job but still.

I can't remember who it was (Matt Smith maybe?) who said they were "upset" that she was doing another episode as River with a different Doctor, but her response of,"Yeah but... you know, I do have to actually keep working!" cracked me up.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Jerusalem posted:

"Yeah but... you know, I do have to actually keep working!" cracked me up.

Reminds me of Christopher Eccleston saying something similar for the reason for his returning to the role for big finish. Appreciate the upfront honesty haha.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wonder if we'll ever get another Doctor to play the intro

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Confusedslight posted:

Glad she's still up to doing these. Was worried she might have been getting a bit sick of this role. I know a jobs a job but still. Oh cool! The short trips are definitely a highlight of the big finish output.

"Sick of it"? She literally just wrote a River Song novel!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

"Sick of it"? She literally just wrote a River Song novel!

I think that was Jaqueline Rayner :ssh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think that was Jaqueline Rayner :ssh:

Kingston was very surprised by the twist when she read the audiobook for something she supposedly wrote.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Wonder if we'll ever get another Doctor to play the intro

God, Twelve is just so. loving. Cool. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

God, Twelve is just so. loving. Cool. :allears:

He's a huge loving dork.

I'm agreeing with you, is what I'm saying!