Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i waited 4 hours in line at con for a tiny sketch/autograph from viv and part of the cast. felt good. where do you even order those prints because id get a group print sometime.

https://streamily.com/EricaLindbeck

There's a group print too but it's pricey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

It's sarcasm my dude.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lots of adult comedy lean on bad languge and swears and gently caress jokes and thats it.

Dawgstar posted:

https://streamily.com/EricaLindbeck

There's a group print too but it's pricey.

ty, yeah, maybe when i get much better job but i am happy with my signed stuff for now. hell the only reason i went is it was like 40 min away from my house, maybe they will be back again this summer, who knows.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus christ why are so many of these shows so loving ugly.

I've heard it explained that a lot of the executives and writers on these shows want as little of the humor of the show as possible to come from the animation and in particular they don't want good animation "distracting" the audience from their "clever" and "hilarious" writing

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
like I remember how commercials were taunting sausage party was an "adult" animation and it was the most offensive/raunchy poo poo ever.

gently caress actually writing a good story :v: just be gross easy peasy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ugly animation isn't even necessarily a bad thing. Smiling Friends is ugly but it's fantastic. Ugly and boring is where it all goes wrong.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SirSamVimes posted:

Ugly animation isn't even necessarily a bad thing. Smiling Friends is ugly but it's fantastic. Ugly and boring is where it all goes wrong.

Nah see Smiling Friends does it in a way that's fun, similarly Xavier Renagade Angel had a style that was often downright hideous and the animation was often choppy even by TV CGI standards but it served to highlight the madness that happened in a given episode

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not even going to say that all ugly animation is bad, I understand that you can create things that are ugly but still good in other ways, or even use a more limited style in a way that can even add to the overall quality. I've read a lot of webcomics, I can be tolerant of bad art, or understand that there's something that others see in it.

Although my tastes in bad art are more towards artists who are figuring out on the fly how to do things and trying to grow themselves rather than stuff that is just trying to be cheap (no artistic growth with something you draw only once) or the common theme in adult animation of being purposefully visually unappealing as a way of being subversive, or even being disdainful for the media format in general.

Also if something is ugly that means that it has to prove itself faster and further uphill to go to make you stick with the ugly art. It usually detracts from the experience overall.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

SirSamVimes posted:

Agreed. The Life and Times of Tim and 10 Year Old Tom both have terrible animation, with Tim's being so bad its hard to call it animation, but they are still some of the funniest poo poo.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

On a scale of Arcane to Xavier Renegade Angel, where would y'all rank Bojack's animation? It's obviously not vomit-inducing like say, Big Mouth, but it doesn't exactly look easy on the eyes.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's alright. I like the style. It's distinct but not ugly.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Pachylad posted:

On a scale of Arcane to Xavier Renegade Angel, where would y'all rank Bojack's animation? It's obviously not vomit-inducing like say, Big Mouth, but it doesn't exactly look easy on the eyes.

I'd say it's unique in that it's not exceptionally ugly but it's rather distinct from general children's animation. Might match up with the fact they went a lot deeper character development wise then just relying on gross out humor.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Bojack's strength was in its boarding. There were a lot of interesting uses of composition, camera work, and ventures into other styles that were often loaded with meaning and furthered the storytelling.

That said, my favorite episode is still Free Churro.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

drrockso20 posted:

I've heard it explained that a lot of the executives and writers on these shows want as little of the humor of the show as possible to come from the animation and in particular they don't want good animation "distracting" the audience from their "clever" and "hilarious" writing

Do you have a citation for this, because if it's true I feel the need to point the disgust I feel in a specific direction

Then again, it may be as simple as just looking at what shows look good and which ones don't. And I mean that particularly visually disquieting combination of stylistically ugly and technically underwhelming.

Although I recall seeing somewhere that Big Mouth is intentionally ugly in order to try and act as a counter against people sexualizing their adolescent characters. Which... while I appreciate the intent 1) Isn't going to stop the real perverts and 2) I have to imagine there's another, more artistically appealing way to do it. Maybe by going more abstract.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think there is sometimes an aspect of these adult shows being helmed by stand-up comedians or writers who don't really know much about the medium and wouldn't really know how you can take advantage of it to do dynamic things where you just aren't limited by the restrictions of unathletic live action actors. I don't know very many specific anecdotes, but I do know that when looking at the people who were created animated series for Comedy Central, most of them don't seem to have any other animation history beforehand.

What I do know anecdotes about is that when Saturday Night Live was starting out, Jim Henson loaned his own respectability to the project which made network executives feel more positive about greenlighting it. He would do his own "Land of Gorch" segments on the show that the SNL writers were supposed to write, but the SNL writers very openly hated and disparaged having to write for puppets, and the resulting sketches weren't any good. Luckily, Jim Henson finally got his own "more mature" muppet show finally picked up by a network in the UK and he could leave SNL behind.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

It's kind of exhausting trying to figure out the logic behind why adult animation has to either be bland or ugly by network standards. Like have these fucks never seen the works of Ralph Bakshi? Or hell even productions like Heavy Metal? There's a long tradition of real love and effort being put into adult animation since the medium was created. Trying to pass it off like "it's always been like this" is so dumb.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Flopsy posted:

It's kind of exhausting trying to figure out the logic behind why adult animation has to either be bland or ugly by network standards. Like have these fucks never seen the works of Ralph Bakshi? Or hell even productions like Heavy Metal? There's a long tradition of real love and effort being put into adult animation since the medium was created. Trying to pass it off like "it's always been like this" is so dumb.

Also I mean.

Anime.

Which might also be something they're trying to avoid. If it looks good but has violence/sex/swears in it it's anime and that's foreign. Can't have that on an American network. Thinking back to all the crap Avatar got.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

Also I mean.

Anime.

Which might also be something they're trying to avoid. If it looks good but has violence/sex/swears in it it's anime and that's foreign. Can't have that on an American network. Thinking back to all the crap Avatar got.

I could've sworn I saw a lovely off brand western anime that featured Will Smith's son but I might of hallucinated it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Flopsy posted:

I could've sworn I saw a lovely off brand western anime that featured Will Smith's son but I might of hallucinated it.

That was noted disaster Neo Yokio.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Flopsy posted:

You did not hallucinate it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man that show owned. So very very funny.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Rick and Morty out, the green nose sucker in

https://twitter.com/psychicpebble/status/1614447723918524416?s=46&t=wNXRFpxYgcePsI7uMNasOQ

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think there is sometimes an aspect of these adult shows being helmed by stand-up comedians or writers who don't really know much about the medium and wouldn't really know how you can take advantage of it to do dynamic things where you just aren't limited by the restrictions of unathletic live action actors. I don't know very many specific anecdotes, but I do know that when looking at the people who were created animated series for Comedy Central, most of them don't seem to have any other animation history beforehand.

Maybe that's why the Clerks cartoon was so good.* Not only did you have comedic talent in the form of David Mandel (and Kevin Smith too, I guess) you also had a really good character designer in Stephen Silver who went on to do Kim Possible and Danny Phantom which was a much better looking show before Butch Hartman got all over it.

*Also sure, only having six episodes might have been the best thing to happen to the show but some of the episodes they talked about doing sounded funny.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Maybe that's why the Clerks cartoon was so good.* Not only did you have comedic talent in the form of David Mandel (and Kevin Smith too, I guess) you also had a really good character designer in Stephen Silver who went on to do Kim Possible and Danny Phantom which was a much better looking show before Butch Hartman got all over it.

*Also sure, only having six episodes might have been the best thing to happen to the show but some of the episodes they talked about doing sounded funny.

Mission Hill also looked really good if we're talking that era of adult animation.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Mitch knew.

Mitch Hedberg posted:

When you're in Hollywood and you're a comedian, everybody wants you to do other things 'sides comedy. They say, "all right, you're a stand-up comedian, can you act? Can you write? Write us a script." They want me to do things that's related to comedy but not comedy. That's not fair. It's as if I was a cook, and I worked my rear end off to become a really good cook, and they said, "all right, you're a cook. Can you farm?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Smiling Friends is a really well-designed show. The wonkiness of the characters is used to enhance the comedy and the simplicity of the designs lets them be animated very fluidly- which they know when and when not to do. The abruptness of cut frames can be hilarious. The BGs are dynamic and deep, the colors are rich, and I love the use of live action, puppets, clay, and rotoscoping. Also when they're referred to as "critters." :3:

Bob's Burgers has the most beautiful BGs in an adult comedy series, though. Detailed and endlessly deep with rich color, often cel-shaded with high and low lighting. Oh my god, I love BB BGs and would love an art book of them, please and thank you.

Venture Bros is probably the best all around. Really strong character designs, great action and comedy boarding, loving amazing layouts, gorgeous colors, style, style, style!

And despite its reputation, the BG, prop, and creature designs on Rick and Morty are really, really good.

To say nothing of Primal. I would kill to draw on Primal.

99% of adult animation is still garbo animation and soulless designs. I was just having fun thinking of the ones I really like.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The reason why these shows look bad is that a lot of these shows are incredibly lazy. To paraphrase Tolstoy: Terrible animation are all alike, good animation is good in its own way.

You just watch these things, and you think "who thought that this was a good idea?" I'm trying to watch the first episode of Fairview now to understand where it went wrong, and it's mind boggling. You would assume that networks have checks and balances in place to make sure something this embarrassing doesn't get out onto the air. The writing is terrible. The animation work is terrible. The voice acting is terrible. You assume Stephen Colbert has someone who's telling him what to put his name on and what not to, AND HE'S PUTTING HIS NAME ON THIS! I can barely get 2 minutes into the show before I have to turn it off. That's how amateurishly bad the whole thing is. Neil Breen films are more interesting than this garbage.

It's so frustrating to see how lazy these shows are. Here's 10 steps to making your own bad adult animated show.

1. These characters are terrible people. How they are terrible may differ, but the end result is the same - they are off-putting and unlikable and unpleasant to be around.
2. The character traits are all incredibly vapid and simple. This guy's a moron. This guy doesn't care about anyone. This guy is a moron who doesn't care about anyone.
3. The voice actors either SHOUT ALL THEIR LINES or they just talk with a strange voice. Or both!
4. Random violence is the joke. No setup. No reason. Just someone getting hurt randomly.
5. Also bodily functions. Fart, piss, poo poo! Do it! It's all good!
6. I say something. Then the opposite happens, or I do the opposite.
7. When you have a joke where you're characters to say something, make sure to do a cutaway to show that exact joke all over again. Tell a joke twice instead of telling it once.
8. Don't worry if your plot doesn't make sense. Plots don't have to make sense. They just serve as a tool to deliver jokes.
9. Make sure your show moves at a breakneck speed. Have multiple plots, none of which are any interesting or have any real development or have any real stakes. Just lots of plots. And make sure conversations move really fast too. In fact, don't worry about the flow of anything. Flow means slowing down. And if you slow down, they will change the channel.
10. Swear. Just swear as much as possible. Swearing is funny. It's funny when people say "gently caress."

Seriously. So many of these shows have all of these traits. It's the kind of thing where you have to wonder if they watch any animated shows before they begin because they all do the same thing, and they all suffer the same fate.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 15, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

7a. References are jokes. Things existing is funny.

7b. If you reference something, make sure to spell it out clearly so everyone understands where it comes from. In the age of storytelling-by-wiki, nothing is more harrowing than a TV show referencing something you haven't seen yet!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

A Sometimes Food posted:

Mission Hill also looked really good if we're talking that era of adult animation.

Mission Hill was absolutely wonderful in how it used color.

Any screenshot of it is unmistakably Mission Hill. That show had an aesthetic of its own

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pachylad posted:

That's an insult to XRA. That show looks incredible.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Das Boo posted:

Bob's Burgers has the most beautiful BGs in an adult comedy series, though. Detailed and endlessly deep with rich color, often cel-shaded with high and low lighting. Oh my god, I love BB BGs and would love an art book of them, please and thank you.

I caught up on Bob's recently and the backgrounds in that one Halloween episode with the wolf had me going :eyepop: they were just absolutely gorgeous.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cemetry Gator posted:

The reason why these shows look bad is that a lot of these shows are incredibly lazy. To paraphrase Tolstoy: Terrible animation are all alike, good animation is good in its own way.

You just watch these things, and you think "who thought that this was a good idea?" I'm trying to watch the first episode of Fairview now to understand where it went wrong, and it's mind boggling. You would assume that networks have checks and balances in place to make sure something this embarrassing doesn't get out onto the air. The writing is terrible. The animation work is terrible. The voice acting is terrible. You assume Stephen Colbert has someone who's telling him what to put his name on and what not to, AND HE'S PUTTING HIS NAME ON THIS! I can barely get 2 minutes into the show before I have to turn it off. That's how amateurishly bad the whole thing is. Neil Breen films are more interesting than this garbage.

It's so frustrating to see how lazy these shows are. Here's 10 steps to making your own bad adult animated show.

1. These characters are terrible people. How they are terrible may differ, but the end result is the same - they are off-putting and unlikable and unpleasant to be around.
2. The character traits are all incredibly vapid and simple. This guy's a moron. This guy doesn't care about anyone. This guy is a moron who doesn't care about anyone.
3. The voice actors either SHOUT ALL THEIR LINES or they just talk with a strange voice. Or both!
4. Random violence is the joke. No setup. No reason. Just someone getting hurt randomly.
5. Also bodily functions. Fart, piss, poo poo! Do it! It's all good!
6. I say something. Then the opposite happens, or I do the opposite.
7. When you have a joke where you're characters to say something, make sure to do a cutaway to show that exact joke all over again. Tell a joke twice instead of telling it once.
8. Don't worry if your plot doesn't make sense. Plots don't have to make sense. They just serve as a tool to deliver jokes.
9. Make sure your show moves at a breakneck speed. Have multiple plots, none of which are any interesting or have any real development or have any real stakes. Just lots of plots. And make sure conversations move really fast too. In fact, don't worry about the flow of anything. Flow means slowing down. And if you slow down, they will change the channel.
10. Swear. Just swear as much as possible. Swearing is funny. It's funny when people say "gently caress."

Seriously. So many of these shows have all of these traits. It's the kind of thing where you have to wonder if they watch any animated shows before they begin because they all do the same thing, and they all suffer the same fate.

1a. if there is a relationship, make it constantly on the rocks and neither love each other.
2b. if same sex relationship, its either titalating or wacky.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Arc Hammer posted:

That's an insult to XRA. That show looks incredible.

Yeah. To be fair, "rendered on a PS2" was a deliberate stylistic choice that contributed to the weirdness of the show as a whole.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Dawgstar posted:

Apparently the new defense for Velma is "it's ACTUALLY lampooning Riverdale and so it's not fair to compare it to Scooby-Doo" when it's strip-mining Scooby for parts.

I think this prompts the natural question of when we’re getting the Archie’s Weird Mysteries reboot. And no, Riverdale doesn’t count even though it is totally just that.

Oh and speaking of "ugly animation" and Smiling Friends: Everyone's favorite animated documentary series is getting another season next week. They're going for the most JoJo rear end naming scheme as well as we're now looking at YOLO: Silver Destiny this time through.

Also Koala Man is on Hulu and it's decent? I need to get a bit further in but it seems to be a slightly toned down YOLO so far. Extremely aussie, though no one has dropped a hard C yet.

e - oop, there we go. Nearly took them 15 minutes too.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 16, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Bad animation has been around forever, usually because of the total lack of animation and design budgets. But the first deliberately 'ugly' adult cartoon I remember that's not some labour or love from the 60s or 70s is South Park.

I know after it first came out, there were endless lovely copycats made by people who only saw the lovely craft paper animations and kids swearing and churned out so many shows that just missed the point of why people like the early seasons of South Park so much.

And now I think all that combined mass of bad shows has turned into the 'standard' for adult shows. What does an adult cartoon look like? Here are 100 shows in our catalogue, take your cues from them. Being original is verboten and no executive will green-light anything which doesn't conform to the standard.

Of course, this ignores that all those ugly lovely shows failed.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I would argue Tales From The Tour Bus is also a great animated show with bad animation but that's kind of cheating since they are animating the insane ramblings of country musicians from the 60-s70s in season 1 and funk musicians from the 70s-80s in season 2.

It did show me Bootsy Collins is one of the coolest people to have ever lived and that "Outlaw Country" musicians did just as much horrible poo poo as gangster rappers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzCz-zA83q8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GvuQBmgNis

Good luck finding this show. It was on Cinemax but you can't find it on HBOMax.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

This world didn't deserve Neo Yokio or it's big Toblerone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68y7byyWZo

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

readingatwork posted:

This world didn't deserve Neo Yokio or it's big Toblerone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68y7byyWZo
Was this show basically like the YIIK of anime?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hi All. Just popping in to the general TV threads to make you aware that the Annual TVIV Best of the Year poll is currently open. If you've watched TV over the last year and would like to let people know what you've been watching, please drop by the thread and share.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020189

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh you can just go nominate the new Velma show for us. We all just adore it and have multiple pages of discussion on all of aspects of the show.