Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Dango Bango posted:

What kind of temps are you running to heat up via SV?

Depends on the meat, but with something like pulled pork or pastor, I usually heat up around 135ºF and most of the time finish it in a skillet over medium heat to crisp it really quickly before serving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, just whatever your preferred serving temp is. I also usually go 135 because it is plenty hot from a serving perspective, but also safe holding temp in case I get distracted for a few hours.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

You vacuum seal the leftovers, freeze them, and reheat with sous vide.

Doom Rooster posted:

Yeah, it is by FAR the best way to reheat bbq to get it as close to original quality as possible.

Enos Cabell posted:

Smoker/vac sealer/sous vide is the holy trinity.

Internet Explorer posted:

Others got it, but yeah, it's as easy as it sounds. Smoke something, part out the leftovers into reasonably sized chunks, store them in a freezer for pretty much however long you want because they're vacuum sealed, then when you're ready drop them in the sous vide. It only takes a couple of hours to heat up, even from frozen. Like others said, it's a great way to heat things up because it doesn't let moisture escape, heats evenly and thoroughly, doesn't over heat fats, etc.

Even last year I kept extra barbacoa, pork shoulder, chicken thighs, etc.

Plus then you have a vacuum sealer and sous vide and can do all the normal sous vide stuff like making perfect steaks, even from frozen. And also cool combos like starting it on the smoker and moving to sous vide or vice versa.

Ah, I don't have the self control for long-term leftovers.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I have upgraded to a chamber vac, and will never look back.
It seals so much better than a traditional food saver, and now i get flat sheets of leftover 'Yes'.

Not to mention I can seal sauced meats too, because liquid content don't matter anymore.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

toplitzin posted:

It seals so much better than a traditional food saver, and now i get flat sheets of leftover 'Yes'.

Not to mention I can seal sauced meats too, because liquid content don't matter anymore.

Did you get the Anova?

I desperately want a chamber vac at home. Would love your thoughts.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

toplitzin posted:

I've been really trying to justify the counter space for a chamber vac. I have a slim vacuum sealer that I can just take out when I need it. Those chamber vacs are beasts that need to stay put.

Also, hello. :xd:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I did indeed get the Anova. It's much smaller than a commercial unit (yes, less capacity too, but also wasn't $700+), so it's reasonable easy to on/off the counter.
Works great, lives in a cabinet under the espresso machine.

I bought a few different size bags off ebay (5" x 6", 6" x 8", and 10" x 10").
I can pack things ranging from a qt of soup, to packs of 2 chicken cutlets, down to 1/2c of pizza sauce for future pizzas.

I've also done some dough (cinnamon rolls) for freezing, which baked up fine after an overnight thaw.
I would recommend freezing the dough and then vac packing it the next day to prevent excessive dough smushing. (i didn't and they came out fine)

As we are a pair of DINK's, it really helps with leftovers/batch cooking/normal recipes being 4-6+servings, and also great for those costco/GFS trips.
It's great, make a batch of curry, eat dinner, bag the rest and get a 10x10 sheet of soup for the freezer.

I haven't' used any of the specialty settings (Infuse/pickle etc), just a lot of bagging.

it's also great for packing/storing :420: without odor

Long story short, I would heartily recommend it.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
If I vacuum packed some pork but didn't sous vide and just heated up from frozen in a park of water will that still work ?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

That is sous vide.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

You can even get pretty good results just microwaving it in the vacuum sealed bag, if you’re short on time/dont want to heat water.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

by.a.teammate posted:

If I vacuum packed some pork but didn't sous vide and just heated up from frozen in a park of water will that still work ?

Yeah, it's just not as easy to hit an exact temp like it is with a sous vide circulator.

We got a call from my in-laws earlier and now a 1/4 of beef from a VERY large cow (our 1/4 is nearly 200lb) is headed here this evening. Her dad is in his 80s and stopped raising cattle a few years ago, and a neighbor is paying back an old favor with this beef, so this was a total blindside. Guess it's time to clear out the deep freeze and see what smoked treats are lurking in the depths.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Any tips for smoking a brisket that's not got any fat on it. The bitches who did out cow didn't leave much fats on the brisket

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Crutch it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

by.a.teammate posted:

I just microwaved mine. Came out beautifully.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, it's just not as easy to hit an exact temp like it is with a sous vide circulator.

We got a call from my in-laws earlier and now a 1/4 of beef from a VERY large cow (our 1/4 is nearly 200lb) is headed here this evening. Her dad is in his 80s and stopped raising cattle a few years ago, and a neighbor is paying back an old favor with this beef, so this was a total blindside. Guess it's time to clear out the deep freeze and see what smoked treats are lurking in the depths.

....and figure out what you're going to do with 125 lbs of ground beef.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Motronic posted:

....and figure out what you're going to do with 125 lbs of ground beef.

Just over 80lb of hamburger, rest was broken down into chuck roast, arm roast, t-bone, ribeye, sirloin, sirloin strip and round. Dirty secret is that we eat beef once a week at most, so 80% of this will get shared between my siblings and their families.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Just over 80lb of hamburger, rest was broken down into chuck roast, arm roast, t-bone, ribeye, sirloin, sirloin strip and round. Dirty secret is that we eat beef once a week at most, so 80% of this will get shared between my siblings and their families.

Good butchering job. That's a pretty great ratio.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

toplitzin posted:

I did indeed get the Anova. It's much smaller than a commercial unit (yes, less capacity too, but also wasn't $700+), so it's reasonable easy to on/off the counter.
Works great, lives in a cabinet under the espresso machine.

I bought a few different size bags off ebay (5" x 6", 6" x 8", and 10" x 10").
I can pack things ranging from a qt of soup, to packs of 2 chicken cutlets, down to 1/2c of pizza sauce for future pizzas.

I've also done some dough (cinnamon rolls) for freezing, which baked up fine after an overnight thaw.
I would recommend freezing the dough and then vac packing it the next day to prevent excessive dough smushing. (i didn't and they came out fine)

As we are a pair of DINK's, it really helps with leftovers/batch cooking/normal recipes being 4-6+servings, and also great for those costco/GFS trips.
It's great, make a batch of curry, eat dinner, bag the rest and get a 10x10 sheet of soup for the freezer.

I haven't' used any of the specialty settings (Infuse/pickle etc), just a lot of bagging.

it's also great for packing/storing :420: without odor

Long story short, I would heartily recommend it.

Great to hear. Thank you for the write up.

We are also a pair of DINKs, but in a house with a tiny kitchen right now, but designing/building a home in the next 3-5 years. This is now high on the list to make space for.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I am so confused about the high end meat thermos

The internet, predictably, is screaming that their preference is the best. I like the idea of the meater plus. If I stick my laptop nearby as a bluetooth source, can I keep I use my wifi to check the meats on my phone?
I have a kamodo joe, if that makes a difference

But then inkbird people screech thats the best
ditto thermopro
ditto all the others

My bbq holds temp pretty well so all the drama is making me think I should just get a good quality instant read...

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Pretty sure I answered my own question

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What key feature are you looking for. how much do you want to spend?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I want it to work, is the absolute main thing, and the second thing I like is the form factor and wireless-ness of the Meater

Ease of use I guess?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a Smoke and was gifted a MEATER +. I’m looking forward to giving it a shot. It seems to connect to Wi-Fi so it should be better than my non Wi-Fi Smoke. The whole set up is certainly a lot simpler with just one probe that does both temps and no base station or receiver or anything to deal with. I guess when I use it I’ll figure out if I’m giving anything up.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I got an inkbird on sale and am happy. Wifi means I can check it on my phone anywhere which is nice when I'm out of range doing chores. 4 probes let's me track multiple things. Meater is a single probe is what ran me away.

Wifi in general is nice because you're tracking the entire cook instead of isolated temp checks. Plus no opening the grill to do your checks means I look at it more frequently as the cook ends without loving up my temps.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

I got an inkbird on sale and am happy. Wifi means I can check it on my phone anywhere which is nice when I'm out of range doing chores. 4 probes let's me track multiple things. Meater is a single probe is what ran me away.

Wifi in general is nice because you're tracking the entire cook instead of isolated temp checks. Plus no opening the grill to do your checks means I look at it more frequently as the cook ends without loving up my temps.

This I've used inkbird temp controllers and they've been quality. Being on sale for around 49-50 bucks and being wifi is nice. Meater also needs a wifi block or spare phone if you want the single probe to be full on wifi.

I just used my inkbird wifi thermometer for our festivus party ham yesterday and it worked out well. Only complaint I have is if I disregard a temp notice on my phone the unit was still beeping outside

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 15, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have a Smoke and was gifted a MEATER +. I’m looking forward to giving it a shot. It seems to connect to Wi-Fi so it should be better than my non Wi-Fi Smoke. The whole set up is certainly a lot simpler with just one probe that does both temps and no base station or receiver or anything to deal with. I guess when I use it I’ll figure out if I’m giving anything up.

Let me know how you like the meater. I have a Smoke and it works great but no Wi-Fi and I like the compactness of the meater. Honestly I always assumed it wouldn’t be as accurate as thermapro or thermoworks.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I’ve had a FireBoard 2 for two years plus now and haven’t had a single issue. Wi-Fi and app push notifications make smoking overnight a breeze. Whatever you get, make sure it has Wi-Fi.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I have a MEATER and a Thermopop instant read (the one Meathead recommends) and when I use both they can differ by up to 10 degrees so idk which to trust. The MEATER (idk why autocorrect makes it all caps) also tends to show a lower ambient temp than what my smoker (or oven if I’m using it in there) reads so I may just be sticking it in too deep.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I have a MEATER and a Thermopop instant read (the one Meathead recommends) and when I use both they can differ by up to 10 degrees so idk which to trust. The MEATER (idk why autocorrect makes it all caps) also tends to show a lower ambient temp than what my smoker (or oven if I’m using it in there) reads so I may just be sticking it in too deep.

My thermopop is my gold standard, for what it's worth. So, any temp disagreements are granted to the thermopop, in other words. I should just get a thermapen.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
FWIW I’m disappointed in my SMOKE.

I’ve used it maybe a dozen times and one of the probes has gone completely wonky. Like, often off by 200+ degrees.

Additionally the Bluetooth range is annoyingly short and the drat thing beeps and alarms all the loving time.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Kind of bummed.

Me and friends are staying at my buddy’s ski house, and he has a high end Traeger he’s literally never used. He said we can break it in these weekend and I offered to bring up a pork blunt and a few racks of ribs. He said not to both let and he’s got plenty of meat to smoke at the house.

Apparently he’s got plenty of meat, but nothing good for smoking and feeding nine people. Checked out the local market, and it’s a pretty small town, so couldn’t find anything there either.

I was really looking forward to trying out the electric Traeger and see how my bbq comes out on it vs the WSM. Maybe next time :(

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Kind of bummed.

Me and friends are staying at my buddy’s ski house, and he has a high end Traeger he’s literally never used. He said we can break it in these weekend and I offered to bring up a pork blunt and a few racks of ribs. He said not to both let and he’s got plenty of meat to smoke at the house.

Two of my favorite things!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Two of my favorite things!

Pork Blunt makes sense with all the weed and shrooms we’ve been doing too :2bong:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Current title is great but

Slow smoking meat: Smoking a pork blunt at the ski resort

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm happy with my Smoke, although mine is just the plain RF model (no Bluetooth or wifi). Range covers my whole house and the remote only lags the base unit by 5-10 seconds at most. Final checks are done with my Thermapen. Honestly I just default to buying Thermoworks because everything I've ever bought from them has been very reliable, and because the probes are interchangeable.

I did pick up an Inkbird on sale before buying the Smoke and found the app to have a few QOL issues. None were insurmountable but they were of the "the app developers have never actually done the task they wrote an app for" flavor which annoyed me greatly. This was a while ago so maybe it's better now.

Also I'm trying to reduce the number of ultimately disposable gadgets I buy with built in lithium batteries but good luck with that in 2023.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm happy with my Smoke, although mine is just the plain RF model (no Bluetooth or wifi). Range covers my whole house and the remote only lags the base unit by 5-10 seconds at most. Final checks are done with my Thermapen. Honestly I just default to buying Thermoworks because everything I've ever bought from them has been very reliable, and because the probes are interchangeable.

I second this, their stuff just works and works well.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Hmm when's the best time to wrap your pork blunt?

the remote only lags the base unit by 5-10 seconds at most.

The remote is set to refresh every 15 seconds :)

Also, ThermoWorks has had the wifi adapter on sale several times recently. I have the Smoke plus adapter and it's great. App is extremely basic but I really only need it for graphs and checking temps if I have to run an errand. Both of those are right there when you open it.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

This is exactly me.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I smoked beef short ribs for the first time on the Masterbuilt and am happy with how they came out.

Took about 8 hours at 250. I didn't wrap or do anything special beyond basting it with wagyu fat and pickle juice a few times. I've noticed a lot of folks recommend wrapping it after the bark sets. I have more in the freezer so I might try that on the next one. Is the purpose of the wrap to shorten the cook time, retain moisture, or just prevent over-smoking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

asciidic posted:

I smoked beef short ribs for the first time on the Masterbuilt and am happy with how they came out.

Took about 8 hours at 250. I didn't wrap or do anything special beyond basting it with wagyu fat and pickle juice a few times. I've noticed a lot of folks recommend wrapping it after the bark sets. I have more in the freezer so I might try that on the next one. Is the purpose of the wrap to shorten the cook time, retain moisture, or just prevent over-smoking?

My understanding is it prevents your meat from drying out. Wrapping in tinfoil will speed up the cooking time because you're containing the moisture as it evaporates and steaming your meat. Wrapping in unwaxed butcher paper kind of puts you in the middle, you're not steaming your meat but you aren't turning the exterior to leather by accident either.

Oversmoking isn't really a thing. You'll hit a point where you won't build more of a smoke ring, and you'll hit a point where the meat isn't really taking on more smoke flavor. But unless you gently caress up your fire and have really dirty smoke (that will taste like ashes no matter what), you can't put too much on.