Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Scimitars we’re popular back in the day because you could train strength with them. Longswords only had the option for attack, defence or controlled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

kemikalkadet posted:

Scimitars we’re popular back in the day because you could train strength with them. Longswords only had the option for attack, defence or controlled.

you're thinking of whips.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
You might be right, it’s been a while. I’m sure I remember scimitars being good specifically for strength training though.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Scimitars were always the highest DPS option until you got to the special weapons like whips and barrows stuff, so they were the best for training all melee stats. With the slight exception of like, monsters that were extremely weak to stab or crush.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Either way, now just pick the weapon type you think looks coolest right? Ex Claws vs Scimitar everything seems to be identical from what I can determine. Same damage, speed, accuracy, style, range

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
In RS3, yes. The weapon types at this point are, I believe, just cosmetic.

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

Blaziken386 posted:

already posted this in the discord, but eeeeeeeyyyyy, I did it

all in all i made like 100mil doing this skill and it was super fast and low-effort, so, uh... its now my new favorite skill!! Fantastic skill, 10/10.

Well done!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:thunk:

Is there like a good youtube channel for returning players who haven't played in forever? I've refamiliarized myself with a lot of familiar skills and whatnot, and have done most of the Paths for various "new" skills but there didn't seem to be a Path to introduce me to like Divination or Invention or Summoning. Incidentally I'm level 19 Divination solely off Proteon Mirrors lol. I've been skimming the wikia but it'd be nice to just throw a video on in picture-in-picture so I can more easily consume stuff while playing rather than constantly alt tabbing. Also just all of the new Magic combat poo poo is wild. I was blown away seeing some guy summon like a meteor storm looking AoE in the Lumbridge Catacombs "dungeon" lol.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Sab669 posted:

Is there like a good youtube channel for returning players who haven't played in forever? I've refamiliarized myself with a lot of familiar skills and whatnot, and have done most of the Paths for various "new" skills but there didn't seem to be a Path to introduce me to like Divination or Invention or Summoning. Incidentally I'm level 19 Divination solely off Proteon Mirrors lol. I've been skimming the wikia but it'd be nice to just throw a video on in picture-in-picture so I can more easily consume stuff while playing rather than constantly alt tabbing. Also just all of the new Magic combat poo poo is wild. I was blown away seeing some guy summon like a meteor storm looking AoE in the Lumbridge Catacombs "dungeon" lol.

My personal favorite video guides are made by Protoxx--he's got a few videos for players returning to RS3 after a long period of time such as this and this. I'd also highly recommend just asking in the Discord or in clan chat, we're a friendly bunch and have plenty of time to answer questions while we click between rocks.

For Divination, the place I'd start is with the Divination trainer just south of Draynor Village (look for a little golden divination icon on your map), who should walk you through the basics of Divination with the pale wisp colony nearby. Protoxx has a video going over this process as well. Once you have the hang of it, find the appropriate wisp colony for your level here and siphon memories, then dump them into the rift once your inventory is full. I'd recommend right-click Configure-ing the rift to convert memories into XP and keep the energy, because you can make a bunch of handy items with the energy.

For Summoning, there's a quest called Wolf Whistle in Taverley that walks you through the basics. There's also a Protoxx video on the subject. The gist is that you buy empty pouches and spirit shards from a vendor, get charms as random drops from monsters you kill, and combine them with an ingredient that varies from familiar to familiar to create summoning pouches, each of which summons a helpful familiar that lasts for a set duration. There's a lot of familiars that all do different things, from doing a ton of damage in combat to holding a lot of items for you to helping you skill. If you just want to level it, you can swap the pouches you make with the Summoning trainer to get a partial refund on the spirit shards used to make it.

For Invention, you don't have to worry about it for a long time--it requires 80 Smithing, 80 Crafting, and 80 Divination to even get started with it. This is because it's an Elite Skill, although they haven't released an Elite Skill since then (6 years and change ago at time of writing), so I'm not sure why they bothered making a category for it. Nonetheless, once you are ready for it, there's a fairly comprehensive tutorial available in the Invention Guild northeast of the Falador lodestone, and of course another Protoxx video to walk you through it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Links much appreciated, thanks!

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

barnold posted:

i still don't really understand all the QoL stuff in RS3. if you were talking to someone who had played OSRS pretty much their entire life, what are the top things you would tell them about RS3 that might get them to log into RS3?
I struggle to even see RS3 as a QoL upgrade given it lacks all the improvements you get with Runelite (or even the official Steam/iOS client for OS, now), and even things -- which feel like basic features to me -- such as shift-click to drop an item. Meanwhile additions like the lodestones teleports in RS3 actually bother me, due everything else that they devalue.

The only "mod" I know for RS3 is alt1, and that doesn't even work properly if you run at any UI scale other than 100%; and that's pretty strange by modern MMO standards.

GetDunked posted:

e: also play ironman and easily avoid all mtx nonsense
Honestly don't know how anyone can stand RS3 without all that noise turned off. It has some cool redeeming features (archaeology is great), but I've felt less disrespected by gacha games than I do by experiencing the nonsense constantly being pulled around TH and the non-events that seem to have replaced actual holiday events in RS3.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Maenad posted:

I've felt less disrespected by gacha games than I do by experiencing the nonsense constantly being pulled around TH and the non-events that seem to have replaced actual holiday events in RS3.

I believe you mean "the non-events that seem to have replaced 90% of all updates for the year"

Don't get me wrong, quests and the new bosses are cool, but there's basically just headliner updates 2-3 times a year now, and everything else is MTX trash.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just like that odd 20 year old inconveniences aren't build in to the game. I just want to teleport to the area I need to be at instead of grabbing a bunch of poo poo to get there for tele runes,. Shift clicking to drop stuff is nice, but my finger hurts after awhile doing that poo poo so putting an item on the hotbar to drop while I hold the button down is better for me. It's a personal preference thing for me

OSRS definitely wins with third party tools though. Alt1 hasn't been updated in years

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 9, 2022

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Yeah alt1 is crusty and due to the difference in how it works vs runelite it's much more limited in scope to what it can do. It's worth setting up for doing clues but not much else

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Do people running bots ever keep an eye on their bots in-game? I think I just found a bunch of bots mining iron and dropping it on the ground where another bot would walk in to pick it up and teleport away. I made some dude sad by wandering in and stealing an inventory load off the ground. He said "Noooooo" when he saw me grabbing it :allears:

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
SirPugger's videos definitely show that if you gently caress with bots the owners will sometimes respond pretty quick. There was one he made where over the course of the video the bot owner kept updating the bot when he lured them, and then SirPugger would lure the updated bot and the owner got pretty mad yelling at him in game.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think it was on my third or fourth inventoryload that the dude was there. I must have messed with his metrics and alerted him somehow. Kind of hilarious that he thought "leave it on the ground" was a good idea.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'd be playing OSRS Fresh Start but I'd have to have a second membership and I really do not want to have two accounts. :|

GetDunked posted:

My personal favorite video guides are made by Protoxx--he's got a few videos for players returning to RS3 after a long period of time such as this and this. I'd also highly recommend just asking in the Discord or in clan chat, we're a friendly bunch and have plenty of time to answer questions while we click between rocks.

GoonScape is BestScape. :)

Agoat fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 15, 2023

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Agoat posted:

GoonScape is BestScape. :)

citation needed

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
oooops i accidentally made a new account for a 20 year old game. looking to be approved grump@discord

also i spent most of my time just being an egg and hanging out. is the egg ring possible to get in old school somehow?

Kim Jaym Il
Dec 14, 2010

what? i
don't
have
fucking
ears

teen phone cutie posted:

oooops i accidentally made a new account for a 20 year old game. looking to be approved grump@discord

also i spent most of my time just being an egg and hanging out. is the egg ring possible to get in old school somehow?

When you do the holiday events you get all rewards for that year and all previous years as well.

So no there is no way for you to get it until doing the event, but luckily for you it's the next one.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Hyedum posted:

citation needed

I have had nothing but great experiences with GoonScape. I feel lucky to call y'all my friends.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Agoat posted:

I have had nothing but great experiences with GoonScape. I feel lucky to call y'all my friends.

:glomp:

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Goonscape is honestly one of the most positive experiences I have had with goons. Great group always looking for ways to help you enjoy the game or explain Jagex's arcane thought processes on bow game design works. A+ score.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Hi I'm Reimu#4336 on discord! Think I've joined before but can't remember. Here to click on rocks and make number go up!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I too have joined the discord, as moooo566 ☃#8451

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Can i join the discord too? as Healsies#9076

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Vilgefartz posted:

Can i join the discord too? as Healsies#9076

No 2013 regdates allowed sorry friendo

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
If anyone’s playing RS3 instead of OSRS, this new fort construction quest and activity is absolutely ridiculous construction exp. Went from 9 to 49 just doing the unlock quest, putting up the fort walls/lodestone and building the tier 1 version of each facility. All it takes to that point is limestone bricks and regular/oak logs, though upgrades also require teak and mahogany later on. It also seems like you can just keep re-building the facilities for easy exp too with more logs and stone, and it also gives you a way to make planks for free going forward.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Posting to get a clan invite on Rupestrian81

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Many years ago, I managed to luck into getting 100m from a random guy in RS3, got a couple 99s from it then got hacked and broke the curse of playing runescape

But since then, I've watched Swampletics like 3 times and got super nostalgic and i have now downloaded OSRS like a chump. I have had it on in the background while in work and just started Dragon Slayer, debating a couple months of membership for that hit of the good stuff, lord help me the old me is back

Oh also the name is Fingerless G if people want to shout at me to log off

Fingerless Gloves fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 21, 2023

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Many years ago, I managed to luck into getting 100m from a random guy in RS3, got a couple 99s from it then got hacked and broke the curse of playing runescape

But since then, I've watched Swampletics like 3 times and got super nostalgic and i have now downloaded OSRS like a chump. I have had it on in the background while in work and just started Dragon Slayer, debating a couple months of membership for that hit of the good stuff, lord help me the old me is back

Oh also the name is Fingerless G if people want to shout at me to log off

join the discord so we can trap you in the game for life

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I'm already in that discord from so long ago but I am bad at discording and also boring

Togger
Jan 16, 2019
I joined the Discord as Togger#8830, mainly playing OSRS but started dabbling in RS3 too.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Joined the discord as Eat The Rich#2053. I'm a total newbie to all of Runescape and my cousin sucked me in. If there's a clan of sorts, I'd like to bring him with me.

oh and im playing rs3 cause its prettier.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Ey yo so I played Runescape back in middle school circa 2003.

Should I try OSRS or RS3?

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Annath posted:

Ey yo so I played Runescape back in middle school circa 2003.

Should I try OSRS or RS3?

If you have your account details, RS3 is where you continue playing.

If you just want the nostalgia look, OSRS is where you start over.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Finally got around to joining the Discord, Ablative#8617.

Maybe now I'll actually do Shield of Arrav.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Blacula posted:

If you have your account details, RS3 is where you continue playing.

If you just want the nostalgia look, OSRS is where you start over.

No account details - it was tied to the old Hotmail account I had at the time. I guess I'd be starting fresh. Which would you recommend? OSRS or RS3?

Also I will be joining the Discord as Annath#3658

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Annath posted:

No account details - it was tied to the old Hotmail account I had at the time. I guess I'd be starting fresh. Which would you recommend? OSRS or RS3?

Also I will be joining the Discord as Annath#3658

OSRS if you want to click everything manually like you did in middle school, RS3 if you want hotbars and hotkeys for everything