Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Me too, can strongly recommend that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah that's the cited "solid digital one" but so far I can find zero good analog watch faces outside of the stock ones that work with AOD

Want a red watchface? Best I can do is watermelon.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

sarcastx posted:

Yeah that's the cited "solid digital one" but so far I can find zero good analog watch faces outside of the stock ones that work with AOD

I don't know if it's built on Jetpack, but I've been happy with Pujie Black for years.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still mad my wife got this cool Stardew Valley one on her fuckin Fitbit but the only way to get it on mine is to install that battery devouring storefront

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

sarcastx posted:

I did find one solution to this, for now: decide that my favorite color is actually blue and not red.

First, I bought these 20mm lug adapters from eBay, and then paired it with this watch band from Barton. Looks good, I think!

The lug adapters fit OK, they're a tiny bit loose (not so loose that I'm afraid of them coming off) but loose enough that if the watch vibrates for a notification or something there can sometimes be an audible "rattle". But it's not too bad.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Well, woke up this morning to a pending update for my watch 4. I assumed the bricking issue has been resolved so I released the update to the watch....and now it won't turn on.

Awesome.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Oof.

For whatever it's worth I updated my 4C when I got prompted yesterday because I totally forgot about the bricking thing and it worked.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

This is neat. Very much worth the play points I used to unlock the premium features. I'm a freak that likes to have a ton of complications on my watch face and the stock pixel faces just weren't cutting it for me.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Just switched to this too. The UI is fantastic and that it has a phone app that can sync additional info is cool.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Crossposting from the Android OS thread because I was obliviously posting there...

My S3 Frontier finally fell apart after 5.5 years. At first I was alarmed and thought the battery had burst, but it seems the glue on the back just failed. It had been decaying in other ways (altitude sensor stopped working, bezel gasket deteriorated), but had been snappy and done the main job of filtering notifications. Also the battery life never appreciably decayed? Weirdly enough its responsiveness also improved over the years with firmware updates. In the early days it used to frustratingly lag significantly at inconvenient times, but I think it hitched half a second once in the last year or so.

"Did my research" and ended up replacing it with the S5 Pro. I do think the normal S5 would be great/better for most, but I was feeling rich and this one fits me well. I really like the titanium bezel. It's also lighter than my S3, but I had a metal band on that. I ended up not being convinced by the Pixel, part because I don't use FitBit and don't want another ecosystem to deal with, but it also being Google's first attempt.

I miss the rotating bezel of the S3, but am sure I'll get over it. I am weirded out that even though they've changed OSes, it's so drat practically identical-feeling to their older watches. Like all the UI actions are identical, just icons are slightly freshened up.

The Play Store for Wear OS is not the worst but it's not great. I wish you could just lock it to only search for watch apps, instead of having to filter afterward every time. At first it kinda looked like it was no better for apps than Tizen ... they're there, but you really have to know what to search for.

Scrolled a few pages back and haven't really seen much in the way of app discussion. Anyone have some interesting suggestions that aren't typically featured or on the charts?

A few off the top of my head:

- guitar tuner
- pomodoro timer
- never gamed on a watch before, but 2048 works great.

If I ever golf again, I'll probably get an app for that. Had the Taylormade one on Tizen and it worked awesomely once, and then never again. Count strokes (lol), range-finder, etc.

Really happy with this animated Pipboy face fwiw: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reysondev.pipboy it's clearer and more functional than the S2 version I used to use.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

Crossposting from the Android OS thread because I was obliviously posting there...

My S3 Frontier finally fell apart after 5.5 years. At first I was alarmed and thought the battery had burst, but it seems the glue on the back just failed. It had been decaying in other ways (altitude sensor stopped working, bezel gasket deteriorated), but had been snappy and done the main job of filtering notifications. Also the battery life never appreciably decayed? Weirdly enough its responsiveness also improved over the years with firmware updates. In the early days it used to frustratingly lag significantly at inconvenient times, but I think it hitched half a second once in the last year or so.

"Did my research" and ended up replacing it with the S5 Pro. I do think the normal S5 would be great/better for most, but I was feeling rich and this one fits me well. I really like the titanium bezel. It's also lighter than my S3, but I had a metal band on that. I ended up not being convinced by the Pixel, part because I don't use FitBit and don't want another ecosystem to deal with, but it also being Google's first attempt.

I miss the rotating bezel of the S3, but am sure I'll get over it. I am weirded out that even though they've changed OSes, it's so drat practically identical-feeling to their older watches. Like all the UI actions are identical, just icons are slightly freshened up.

The Play Store for Wear OS is not the worst but it's not great. I wish you could just lock it to only search for watch apps, instead of having to filter afterward every time. At first it kinda looked like it was no better for apps than Tizen ... they're there, but you really have to know what to search for.

Scrolled a few pages back and haven't really seen much in the way of app discussion. Anyone have some interesting suggestions that aren't typically featured or on the charts?

A few off the top of my head:

- guitar tuner
- pomodoro timer
- never gamed on a watch before, but 2048 works great.

If I ever golf again, I'll probably get an app for that. Had the Taylormade one on Tizen and it worked awesomely once, and then never again. Count strokes (lol), range-finder, etc.

Really happy with this animated Pipboy face fwiw: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reysondev.pipboy it's clearer and more functional than the S2 version I used to use.

Are you talking about the Play Store on your watch or your phone? Because you can filter to just watch apps in the phone Play Store, or at least I can on my Pixel 6. Open the Play Store, select Apps at the bottom, Other devices at the top, and click the button for Watch if it isn't already highlighted. I'm not wearing a watch at this very moment, but I don't remember the Play Store being a problem on my watches aside from the awkwardness of browsing on a tiny screen.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's weird, on my laptop browser I seem to have to filter after each search. On my phone, just my Nvidia Shield shows up under "other devices", but yeah the filter works there. I have a feeling the watch will show up eventually.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

It's weird, on my laptop browser I seem to have to filter after each search. On my phone, just my Nvidia Shield shows up under "other devices", but yeah the filter works there. I have a feeling the watch will show up eventually.

Maybe check to see if a Google Play Store update is waiting on your phone? Or an update for your watch? I'm not sure - I feel like I'm still figuring out all the functionality of my watches and phones, despite having used Wear OS 2 watches for a year or two and having my Galaxy Watch 5 since Christmas.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I should maybe suck it up and read a manual one day :ignorance:

I just realised the S5 has a 'touch-bezel' and it's ... so fast and snappy with good haptic feedback. It's so much better than the laggy physical one on my S3. I am happy!

Also a lot of reviews complained about the weight of the S5 Pro ... but it's lighter than my S3 Frontier :shrug:

One weird thing is the media controls don't seem remotely as good as the S3. (Still investigating.) It seems to snap to Spotify, but is neglecting my PocketCasts phone app. The S3 was really solid with any media player.

In my general use-case (biking), touch-based watches haven't been awesome for media players. I miss the physical buttons on my old Pebble Time where I could adjust what was playing without having to look at my watch.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Does anyone know whether the SpO2 sensor on the Pixel Watch locked out in firmware or just hasn't been implemented in software yet?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The one thing that seems to be completely missing on Wear OS is some kind of news app. Tizen had Flipboard! Not even Google News.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

The one thing that seems to be completely missing on Wear OS is some kind of news app. Tizen had Flipboard! Not even Google News.

I just checked, and apparently you can install a Radio Free Europe app, or one of multiple Voice of America apps. Apparently the US is keeping at the forefront of wearable propaganda.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

GWBBQ posted:

Does anyone know whether the SpO2 sensor on the Pixel Watch locked out in firmware or just hasn't been implemented in software yet?

I believe it's just not been implemented as it doesnt have fda approval.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hey Wear OS thread, I'm considering selling my Garmin and getting back into the Google ecosystem for my watch. I don't have any huge complaint about my Instinct but it's extremely basic and given I have a Pixel and Pixel buds, it makes a lot of sense.

So I'm wondering what the top recs are now. Battery life is super important for me although I absolutely recognize I'm not getting a month out of a real smartwatch like my Instinct gets lol. I also prefer a larger watch, so ideally 45mm at a bare minimum but I'd be very happy with 51mm.

Thanks pals.

E: oh and I should say good sensors is very important too, I use my watch to track all my workouts and activities

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey Wear OS thread, I'm considering selling my Garmin and getting back into the Google ecosystem for my watch. I don't have any huge complaint about my Instinct but it's extremely basic and given I have a Pixel and Pixel buds, it makes a lot of sense.

So I'm wondering what the top recs are now. Battery life is super important for me although I absolutely recognize I'm not getting a month out of a real smartwatch like my Instinct gets lol. I also prefer a larger watch, so ideally 45mm at a bare minimum but I'd be very happy with 51mm.

Thanks pals.

E: oh and I should say good sensors is very important too, I use my watch to track all my workouts and activities
I think the galaxy watch 5 is still the best wearos watch, if you want a big one get the pro model for the battery life. Workout tracking is quite good as far as I can tell.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My 4 Pro lasts exactly two days which is probably the best you can hope for with WearOS devices. Seems to track walking and sleeping fine, otherwise I dunn as I don't do much extra cardio.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

I think the galaxy watch 5 is still the best wearos watch, if you want a big one get the pro model for the battery life. Workout tracking is quite good as far as I can tell.

It looks super nice, the size and battery life look A+ for me. I'm super hesitant about Samsung though. But it's WearOS not Tizen?? I'm very out of the loop on this. Do I need any Samsung apps for this? Do I just use Google Fit, etc? I really do not want to get into the Samsung ecosystem. The Pixel Watch would be an instant sell if it wasn't so small with lovely battery life.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

It's Wear OS. My Watch 4 Classic feels just like using any other Wear OS watch I've had (but better hardware), though I admit I don't use it to track fitness much.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Qylvaran posted:

It's Wear OS. My Watch 4 Classic feels just like using any other Wear OS watch I've had (but better hardware), though I admit I don't use it to track fitness much.

So that means no Samsung apps needed at all?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

So that means no Samsung apps needed at all?

I just checked my Pixel 6 and I have just the Galaxy Wearable app to go with my Watch 5. I was hesitant going with a Samsung device but I've been really impressed with the Watch 5.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can use Fit and it's easier to use Fit now that health connect is a thing, but you still need to use Samsung Health to collect some of the metrics.

Fit will collect steps in the background and I believe will collect heart rate if you select a workout (you can measure manually). But otherwise Fit will not collect background heart rate data or sleep data, those need to be collected by Samsung health.

You can put stuff into Fit via Health Connect from Samsung health if you wanted that stuff there, but you still need to use Samsung health to record it.

That's basically the same across all WearOS watches. You are going to need the health platform of the watch maker as a basis and then go from there (if that platform supports syncing or exporting data.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I already use Health Sync to sync Garmin data to Google Fit, so that's no problem at all. Got it.

I'm really drawn by the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro, the size is awesome and the UI looks great. I'm okay with the Samsung wear and fitness apps provided I rarely have to touch them beyond initial setup, is that doable? It just bugs me having additional apps that duplicate existing ones!!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

I already use Health Sync to sync Garmin data to Google Fit, so that's no problem at all. Got it.

I'm really drawn by the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro, the size is awesome and the UI looks great. I'm okay with the Samsung wear and fitness apps provided I rarely have to touch them beyond initial setup, is that doable? It just bugs me having additional apps that duplicate existing ones!!
I've only been using Samsung Health on my OnePlus, so just installed Google Fit and HealthConnect. I'll update if I observe anything interesting.

I am very happy with the Watch 5 Pro though, especially the titanium colour. Also it feels far less obtrusive, and lighter, than my Watch 3 Frontier did.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 6, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, you know my general lukewarm opinion of Samsung software, but I think Samsung Health is good. Yes, once you have it setup, it should just sync to the watch automatically and if you have health connect setup, that stuff should end up in Fit (assuming you have Samsung Health set to unrestricted). I do notice Samsung Health Data and Fitbit data competing with each other and in Fit, but that's more of a Fit issue than the other apps (all the data is still in health connect, so it's Fit having trouble reconciling data from two different sources.) It's possible you might have to open up Samsung Health for it to push into Health Connect, I'm not 100% on that.

Basically, the issue I have is heart rate chart messing up if I switch devices. If I use my Fitbit or Pixel Watch for part of the day and then switch over to my Galaxy Watch, heartrate data in fit disappears before that switchover point. It happens in reverse too. Again, it's not an issue I don't think with the Samsung (or Fitbit) side of things since all the data is still in health connect. I think Fit just has issues switching between data sources. It's possible they fixed it though since I haven't looked in there for awhile and I'm noticing today that it has my overnight hear rate from sleep from fitbit and my galaxy watch heart rate today since I got up without issue.

On my Pixel 7 Pro I have the Galaxy Wearable App installed, Galaxy Watch 5 plugin (you need a plugin helper app for every type of Samsung wearable you plug into the Galaxy Wearable app, so you only need the watch 5 plugin if all you have is the watch) and then Samsung Health installed.

The only issue I had with Samsung Health is that when 13 came out, there was a battery consumption issue if you had the app track activity on the phone. If you are using a watch, you don't need to enable that. I have to think it's been fixed by now, but I still deny the app access to track physical activity since it doesn't need to.

But yeah, the Watch 5 Pro is easily my favorite wearable due to how reliable it is. I can just leave AoD on and lift to wake on and know that I'm not needing to charge much at all. That makes it my default travel watch since I know I can just drop it on the charger when I'm showering once a day for 15 minutes still finish the weekend with like 60% left with everything turned on and doing sleep tracking. I mean, I'm 5.5 hours off charge today so far and I've only used 8% of the battery.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My Watch 4 ProClassic lasts exactly 2 days with AoD. Seems to work well automatically for tracking walking and sleep.

Does Samsung Health track weight lifting? I haven't had a chance to try it yet. That's the only thing I need tbh.

Pro, classic, whatever
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 7, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There is no Watch 4 Pro.

There's a Watch 5 Pro and Watch 4 Classic. The Watch 4 Classic has the same battery size as the similarly sized Watch 4 in that lineup.

The Watch 5 Pro stands alone with a ~50% larger battery over the largest normal Watch 5.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

WearOS 3 also requires a manufacturer's app. There's not a generic wearos app, but one for each watch/manufacturer.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I am looking for a WearOS watch with LTE. I really don't like lugging my phone with me on workouts.

I basically just want LTE use for podcast/music streaming and emergency calls.

As much as I love to pretend I'll use a lot of exercise apps... I won't. Whatever built in health tracking it has is fine.

I have $70 in Google Store credit and that would make the Pixel Watch LTE about $275 with the current extra $50 it has off right now.

Is that my cheapest/best bet? I have a P7 phone.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

BonoMan posted:

I am looking for a WearOS watch with LTE. I really don't like lugging my phone with me on workouts.

I basically just want LTE use for podcast/music streaming and emergency calls.

As much as I love to pretend I'll use a lot of exercise apps... I won't. Whatever built in health tracking it has is fine.

I have $70 in Google Store credit and that would make the Pixel Watch LTE about $275 with the current extra $50 it has off right now.

Is that my cheapest/best bet? I have a P7 phone.

Consensus seems to be that the Pixel Watch is the one to get, if there's a reason like price or size that takes the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro out of the equation.

For the record, I've been using the Watch 5 Pro LTE, and aside from missing the rotating bezel of the 4, it has been absolutely fantastic. Unbeatable battery life and works great when separated from the phone as you plan to.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pixel Watch would be an instant buy for me if it wasn't so tiny. 41mm is too small :(

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Anyone know if there's a difference in the radio frequencies on different country versions of the Pixel Watch. Because of how they were included with phones resulting in people owning them and not wanting them, importing a used one from the uk is almost a hundred bucks cheaper than buying a new one in Canada.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pixel Watch would be an instant buy for me if it wasn't so tiny. 41mm is too small :(
How big of a watch do you want? It's maybe a little bit small on me and I'm 6'6" with long arms.

Pardon the dust and scrapes, I'm doing some spring cleaning and have busted up my hands a bit. But anyway, this is mine on my wrist (8" circumference) with an actual measuring tape for reference.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

How big of a watch do you want? It's maybe a little bit small on me and I'm 6'6" with long arms.

Pardon the dust and scrapes, I'm doing some spring cleaning and have busted up my hands a bit. But anyway, this is mine on my wrist (8" circumference) with an actual measuring tape for reference.

Big lmao, but I recognize I'm the exception. I decided to buy a buddy's Garmin Fenix 51mm watch instead!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

For whatever it's worth I updated my 4C when I got prompted yesterday because I totally forgot about the bricking thing and it worked.
What was the deal with the Watch 4 bricking on update? It's offering to install R890XXU1GWB1 or R890OXM1GWB1 and I'm holding off for now

E: not bricked

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Pixel watch has decided to obliterate its battery today by burning through 65% of it in 5 hours. No reason that I know of as nothing's changed and I usually go through about half the battery in a 12 hour shift with the AoD and lift to wake on.