Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Eric Cantonese posted:

Would it be funny if he gave the fake diamond cufflinks to you?

I find conmen generally offensive, even if they victimize rich people.
Rich people receiving gifts from Trump are uniformly poo poo heads. Hell, Trump cons millions of poor people on the reg off their money and they too deserve it for being lovely people. poo poo eating poo poo is a net benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ecureuilmatrix posted:

"Deported to Brasil" is still my funniest end game for this.

regressive will finally open up televoting for Santos.

Also only for them. oh and their televotes are weighted more than dem votes. and finally even a drunkhigh passed out regressive on a video feed has a vote thats always what Kevin wants.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

Yes.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Sure, but how are those mutually exclusive? I can think it's funny that he's such a buffoon, and think he's offensive at the same time.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Eric Cantonese posted:

I mean, anyone giving me any kind of cufflinks is inherently a joke.

However this is possibly the platonic ideal of a victimless act. Like, he's handing them out as gifts. It's not even a financial con, at best it's weak social gamesmanship amongst the nouveau riche.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

It's 3000% funnier since Trump, on occasion, pulls him off his own shirtsleeves So not only does Trump give the cubric zirconia and pewter cufflinks as gifts, he reguarly wears the fake diamond cufflinks just on the off chance to pass them out as gifts.

The levels of this trolling is hysterical.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

If the Georgia grand jury decides charges against trump are in order, how does he get behind bars? If Florida isn't willing to arrest and transport him to GA, and he doesn't go to GA does she sort of evade that?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Zotix posted:

If the Georgia grand jury decides charges against trump are in order, how does he get behind bars? If Florida isn't willing to arrest and transport him to GA, and he doesn't go to GA does she sort of evade that?

I mean... the secret service could just pick him up and transport him, Technically Trump can be protected perfectly well behind bars

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Twincityhacker posted:

It's 3000% funnier since Trump, on occasion, pulls him off his own shirtsleeves So not only does Trump give the cubric zirconia and pewter cufflinks as gifts, he reguarly wears the fake diamond cufflinks just on the off chance to pass them out as gifts.

That is some Flintheart Glomgold levels of douchebaggery and I am totally here for it. Shame he was actually elected president though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

New York Democrats have been pretty recently actively letting Republicans win to keep leftist candidates out, the official body for making sure of such has only very recently faded from prominence.

Santos' district is primarily Long Island and a bit of Queens right?

I think it's worth remembering that this is the richest bit of the entire country. I don't think they needed a whole lot of dem failure to finally admit that they just love fascism unironically and wanted to vote for the R guy.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Twincityhacker posted:

See I don't think it is trolling. He's not doing it to make that person the fool. I genuinely believe he's doing to make himself look better but he's too cheap to do real diamonds.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Twincityhacker posted:

Additionally, it's like 50/50 between him intentionally buying cheap knock offs or someone in Trump Org embezzling the difference between lovely real diamond cufflinks and the cost of the cubic zirconia ones.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm sure I can think of ethical situations I'd care less about than the authenticity of cufflinks traded between rich shitheads, but I'd have to be at it for awhile.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
It could be worse, Trump could be giving them conflict diamonds.

Though if anyone could find a way to buy conflict zirconia it would be Trump.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Trump breaking people's faith in our system was good, from here anyway. Liberals (in the literal sense) obsessing over him in the face of actually responsibly guiding our own way of life was so important and good too.

I 've had discussions with wealthy educated people, who totally handwaved away points of actual civic responsibility, because "what about trump".

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Santos' district is primarily Long Island and a bit of Queens right?

I think it's worth remembering that this is the richest bit of the entire country. I don't think they needed a whole lot of dem failure to finally admit that they just love fascism unironically and wanted to vote for the R guy.

I don't know if it's the richest district in the country, but it is the richest district in New York state. I think economic conditions were pretty ideal for this kind of "socially liberal, economically conservative" place to flip Red, especially with Lee Zeldin running a gubenatorial campaign built to goose GOP turnout in Long Island. The main "hook" of the race before Santos' lies finally became a big story was that it was a race between 2 openly gay candidates. (Who knows if that sadly caused some Democratic attrition too.)

That being said, there was a lot of Democratic complacency here too, as detailed in the Atlantic piece below. I do wonder how good (or bad) of a candidate Zimmerman was.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/12/george-santos-fraud-long-island/672587/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Fourth highest median income, after two Silicon Valley ones and a Virginia one near DC.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewdepietro/2022/10/21/the-wealthiest-congressional-districts-of-2022/?sh=3635ee436f76

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

BRJurgis posted:

I 've had discussions with wealthy educated people, who totally handwaved away points of actual civic responsibility, because "what about trump".

Can you be more specific?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Can you be more specific?

Well, sure. Wealthy older people, some in highly educated/specialized professions. I developed a rapport with some complaining about trump during trump. During the primaries and after biden won, though? I had to stop talking to them politically for fear of endangering my job.

No, I don't remember what specific complaint or demand I directed at the leaders I voted for, but I'm sure you saw it come up here. Fact is though, I've been told in several different ways that we just can't afford to criticize democrats when TRUMP is waiting in the wings. Hell, not even just by rich clients, back in the primary when I criticized biden (preferring bernie) some aunts absolutely guffawed at the fact I was supporting Trump (?!?!?!?!?) by criticizing Biden.

The fact Trump was president is damning of our system and the electorate. Americans' relationship with power is insane and tortured, and Trump's presidency highlighted that.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Hochul nominated a chud judge and the factional dick measuring contest over it has gotten so intense Lin Manuel Miranda’s dad was brought in to argue for this fucker, and now Hakeem Jeffries

https://twitter.com/zackfinknews/status/1614381984599490561?s=46&t=hSJdR5JLiRGj9ay3XNP5Eg

NY Dems lol

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Have they provided any reasons for him other than than "Come on guys, please" and "But he's Latino"?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Gyges posted:

Additionally, it's like 50/50 between him intentionally buying cheap knock offs or someone in Trump Org embezzling the difference between lovely real diamond cufflinks and the cost of the cubic zirconia ones.

This.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Thought I remembered a controversy like that a few months back, something about there being a designated short list that was shared with the local GOP and the judge the Dems went with was the least worst option or something. Anyone recall?

At this point there really isn't much dirt that Conservatives haven't done so maybe Dems should just stop stanning them already.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gyges posted:

Have they provided any reasons for him other than than "Come on guys, please" and "But he's Latino"?
Nope

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Kavros posted:

So is santos ... actually a crazy person? Legitimately mentally ill in some way that we find out about soon?

I used to know someone who almost literally lied about everything. The lies were outrageous. They usually were usually about things that were either completely unimportant or obvious and easily disproved. I always assumed some kind of mental issue

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Honest question but does the VP usually have top secret clearance and access to classified documents? And, either way, what the gently caress is going with motherfuckers just stashing them in their storage closets and garages like 15 year old tax returns and unused ping pong tables?

Jesus Christ, man, maybe exercise a little bit of care with this poo poo, no? It's not like there's anything violent or unstable going on in the loving world right now or people in other countries who might wish us harm.

I know people that have safes in their closets with $500 and a passport in there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

BiggerBoat posted:

Honest question but does the VP usually have top secret clearance and access to classified documents?
Yes, the VP usually winds up having access to pretty near everything the President does, at a minimum in case something happens to the President.

BiggerBoat posted:

And, either way, what the gently caress is going with motherfuckers just stashing them in their storage closets and garages like 15 year old tax returns and unused ping pong tables?
We don't know the details here, but part of the answer is going to be that huge swathes of material, particularly correspondence, falls under classification, including in this case what appear to have been daily or pre-meeting briefing documents. The critical difference is what is done with them; the whole reason people are learning about these ones are because attorneys were going through all of the documents and figuring out what needs to go where.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The VP basically has the same clearance and info and the President, since their whole job is basically being the back up. However, the job of the VP is also largely up to the President, so if they decided the VP should just be sitting in their chair staring at the wall all day, they wouldn't have document access.

As for how they're taking home the files, they probably get mixed in with other paperwork. It's 4-10 years of a job that has classified and unclassified documents coming at them all day. While it's crazy for them to accidentally be mixing the top secret Area 51 nuclear invasion plans with their other documents, there's absolute shitloads of less "holy poo poo, keep this secret" stuff that they're touching every day. Then at the end of the 4-10 years, everything gets packed up.

The whole thing with classified documents is that there are reasonable and dumbass reasonable reasons for someone to accidentally take them with other paperwork. So the system is set up to encourage people to fix gently caress ups instead of trying to hide them. I'd guess that 3 out of 4 former Presidents(and all the VPs except maybe Pence, who knows what level he was actually allowed in on) actually do have some sort of classified documents hanging out in their personal files. The difference is that that one guy seems to have intentionally taken the "cool" ones he saw, and then was using them to show off like a trophy for clout.

All while we side step the issue of massive over classification that goes on in the government. Irrelevant when we're talking about Mr. Nuclear Documents to show to guests, relevant for the other guys.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A big part of crime is intent. It's what turns manslaughter into homicide.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Gyges posted:

The whole thing with classified documents is that there are reasonable and dumbass reasonable reasons for someone to accidentally take them with other paperwork. So the system is set up to encourage people to fix gently caress ups instead of trying to hide them.

To expand on this a bit, even for your average Joe with security clearance it's actually pretty hard to get prosecuted for mishandling. In fact most of the time you won't even lose your clearance...

"Govexec posted:

For the average security clearance applicant, the question around what will happen if you mishandle classified information is much more straightforward. Handling protected information (Guideline K) is one of the 13 adjudicative guidelines used to deny clearance eligibility, and often comes down to individuals who mishandled classified information.

One doesn’t have to speculate about the types of actions that will result in a denial or revocation based on Guideline K – or why the government takes such violations so seriously – the guideline states: “Deliberate or negligent failure to comply with rules and regulations for protecting classified or other sensitive information raises doubt about an individual’s trustworthiness, judgment, reliability, or willingness and ability to safeguard such information, and is a serious security concern.”

Mishandling classified information very, very rarely results in security clearance denial and revocation. In the year 2021, there were just three security clearance denials or revocations based on Guideline K, handling protected information.

Denials or revocations of clearance eligibility often come down to intentional violations, or repeated negligence. Anyone who has worked in a Sensitive Compartmentalized Information Facility probably knows someone who made a mistake around classification procedures at some point – incorrectly storing or filing something, failing to lock something, or other violations will sometimes occur. Like many things in the security clearance process, the response to the violation is in many cases as important as the violation itself. Many cases of clearance denials or revocations involving Guideline K also included two other adjudicative guidelines: Personal Conduct, and/or Misuse of Information Technology Systems.
And that's just for Joe Nobody, obviously the government is going to bend over backwards to accommodate a VP and former President, so in other words, you really have to be an enormously stubborn prick about it to get the FBI to kick in your door.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 16, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
"And that's just for Joe Nobody, obviously the government is going to bend over backwards to accommodate a VP and former President, so in other words, you really have to be an enormously stubborn prick about it to get the FBI to kick in your door."

drat Donnie must have bought his A game during those "gently caress off and bring a warrent to my lawyers offices." phone calls.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

PhazonLink posted:

"And that's just for Joe Nobody, obviously the government is going to bend over backwards to accommodate a VP and former President, so in other words, you really have to be an enormously stubborn prick about it to get the FBI to kick in your door."

drat Donnie must have bought his A game during those "gently caress off and bring a warrent to my lawyers offices." phone calls.

There is basically no way he didn't throw a screaming temper tantrum at least once during those calls.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Gyges posted:

The VP basically has the same clearance and info and the President, since their whole job is basically being the back up.

They have and need no security clearance.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Reps, Senators, and the Presidents have no clearance. The election is their ”clearance”. The Cabinet has clearances, as do staffers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If senators can see everything, that’s how you know ufos aren’t real. Because Tuberville would spill the beans five seconds after hearing about them, or Hawley would start yelling about how the aliens must be exterminated to preserve the glory of the white race.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

If senators can see everything, that’s how you know ufos aren’t real. Because Tuberville would spill the beans five seconds after hearing about them, or Hawley would start yelling about how the aliens must be exterminated to preserve the glory of the white race.

Well also Trump would've blurted it out too

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kavros posted:

So is santos ... actually a crazy person? Legitimately mentally ill in some way that we find out about soon?

He's a pathological liar, but that really doesn't count as mental illness for Republicans anymore as opposed to the normal operating mode of their politicians and people defending them. Hell, he's only lying about a single person!

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

Well also Trump would've blurted it out too

Unless that's what THEY want us to think so we don't realize the MIB memory-erasers are real. :tinfoil: :psylon:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Gen. Ripper posted:

Unless that's what THEY want us to think so we don't realize the MIB memory-erasers are real. :tinfoil: :psylon:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/healthbyjames/status/1614719393312694276?s=20&t=Enn-SbtI-OiWLl6COre5kg

So, assuming there's anything to this, all my brain comes to is "Wow, that's going to be more vindication/ammo for the antivax crowds."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Honest question but does the VP usually have top secret clearance and access to classified documents? And, either way, what the gently caress is going with motherfuckers just stashing them in their storage closets and garages like 15 year old tax returns and unused ping pong tables?

Jesus Christ, man, maybe exercise a little bit of care with this poo poo, no? It's not like there's anything violent or unstable going on in the loving world right now or people in other countries who might wish us harm.

I know people that have safes in their closets with $500 and a passport in there.

It varies. The VP is usually told a lot of what the president knows so that they're not completely clueless if the president unexpectedly dies, but not necessarily everything. For example, Truman only learned of the Manhattan Project after Roosevelt's death.