Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

bought my tickets to see Garth Marenghi today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

colonelwest posted:

I’ve been watching the latest BotW in parts and I just got to that embarrassing Carman tape, holy poo poo lol.

Carman is really the apex of the weird 90s evangelical movement. Where there had to be these parallel-track Christian versions of every popular thing (Christian Rap! Christian Rock! Christian Country!) Because even if the mainstream versions of those things were already pretty Christian (it’s not like Country Music was ever some bastion of secularism), they weren’t the right kind of Christian. If you didn’t believe that the literal biblical Satan was worshipped by witches to whom he granted actual supernatural powers, or that being gay was a damnable abomination, or that pre-marital kissing was sinful, or that the world was 5000 years old; then you weren’t really a Christian. I only wish the tape they watched included the Witch’s Invitation video.

Also, it was good how they dug into the ridiculousness of Strong on Crime. The thing that really struck me about it was how it seemed to be an attempt by Hollywood to co-opt the JJ Bittenbinder’s bit. And in the process make it flashier (with all those fictional scenarios) and less-informed. Bittenbinder was a Chicago cop through the 1970s and 80s who had very clearly seen some real poo poo and was genuinely interested in keeping kids safe and making the community safer in general. He sure as gently caress wasn’t telling his audience to go out and get a gun. Sanford Strong was in San Diego mostly doing SWAT and you could tell from his weird ultra-militaristic view of the world. Strong’s video wasn’t about making people actually safer, but about scaring suburbanites into becoming militaristic, too. (The fact that Strong is from suburban Southern California and came into prominence after the Rodney King riots is also a detail that shouldn’t be overlooked.)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

:lol:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Star Josh

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

LanceHunter posted:

Carman is really the apex of the weird 90s evangelical movement. Where there had to be these parallel-track Christian versions of every popular thing (Christian Rap! Christian Rock! Christian Country!) Because even if the mainstream versions of those things were already pretty Christian (it’s not like Country Music was ever some bastion of secularism), they weren’t the right kind of Christian. If you didn’t believe that the literal biblical Satan was worshipped by witches to whom he granted actual supernatural powers, or that being gay was a damnable abomination, or that pre-marital kissing was sinful, or that the world was 5000 years old; then you weren’t really a Christian. I only wish the tape they watched included the Witch’s Invitation video.

Yeah I remember those days. I grew up in a Evangelical mega-church which was pretty liberal by 90’s/2000’s standards, but that weird element was definitely there in the margins. I don’t remember Carman, but we had a parade of similar but a little less extreme Christian entertainers come and perform through the years. And my church did a lot of its own embarrassing trend-chasing with music and skits.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

I don’t get it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I don’t get it.

I'm really sorry for that because its fuckin hilarious

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I'm really sorry for that because its fuckin hilarious

Looks like a guy wearing a NASCAR team jumpsuit, that’s all I get from that image.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahaha

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

EXPLAIN IT YOU FUCKERS

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Sunk dunk dunk

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

priznat posted:

Sunk dunk dunk

I haven’t watched sunk dunk’s videos, I’m a hardcore Xjakk maniac and president of his fan club.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Nigmaetcetera posted:

EXPLAIN IT YOU FUCKERS

click the ? under sunk dunk's name

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Stink Billyums posted:

click the ? under sunk dunk's name

Ok I get it now. I ain’t laughing, but I think I get it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

my god… it’s full of cars

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I still don't get it

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
me eityher maybe its a 2001 a spaceodd thing?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sunk Dunk posted:

me eityher maybe its a 2001 a spaceodd thing?

it'a clearly a reference to Tarkovsky's Solaris

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Sally posted:

it'a clearly a reference to Tarkovsky's Solaris

Haven’t seen it. Should.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

the jacket is the beginning and the end.

Its a metaphor

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Endless Trash posted:

There’s plenty of Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg references that I caught but I didn’t get many Elon ones

I think it was more Elon than anything else because he tries to sound smart but he's really stupid, being related to energy and space industries, and that whole trying to leave a mark in humanity thing with the Mona Lisa vs the underpopulation thing Musk has.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 16, 2023

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

*pretending to fit in* lmfao

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Yeah Gabe is a cool kid old man.

i met him just before covid. the stuff he told me about working vfx's yeah its bad.

Oh yeah and he s a big RLM fan, did some freelanch work for some samurai cop squeal. He claimed to have wanted to go be on a BOTW episode but it seems guest pay for their own plane ticket.

Disclaimer we were both not sober during this conversation

He also did work for the orville

Ups_rail fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 16, 2023

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Ups_rail posted:

i met him just before covid. the stuff he told me about working vfx's yeah its bad.

Oh yeah and he s a big RLM fan, did some freelanch work for some samurai cop squeal. He claimed to have wanted to go be on a BOTW episode but it seems guest pay for their own plane ticket.

Disclaimer we were both not sober during this conversation

He also did work for the orville

ok I was wrong he's not just cool he's like, you know, actually cooll

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

1. Wrath of Khan
2. The Motion Picture
3. The Undiscovered Country
4. The Voyage Home
5. Search for Spock
6. The Final Frontier

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I am going to watch Nashville (1975) tonight. you can buy it digitally (UHD) on Prime for five bucks. I can't even remember if I've seen an Altman movie before. no, I did, it was Images and that was good

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
nashville is good. so is the long goodbye and the player

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Big Bizness posted:

1. Wrath of Khan
2. The Motion Picture
3. The Undiscovered Country
4. The Voyage Home
5. Search for Spock
6. The Final Frontier

1-5: TMP, WoK, SfS, TVH, TUC
6: the final frontier, goddamnit shatner

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mike's dance after cheating on the wheel, combined with what he cheated for, broke me. I was in tears.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Shinjobi posted:

Mike's dance after cheating on the wheel, combined with what he cheated for, broke me. I was in tears.

one of my favorite bits in ages

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Sally posted:

this

i mean i would be all for trimming some of the lingering shots of the enterprise but as a whole TMP is top notch scifi

Misread this at first and thought I missed out on some scenes with the V'ger lady wearing something from Victoria's secret.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Outpost22 posted:

Misread this at first and thought I missed out on some scenes with the V'ger lady wearing something from Victoria's secret.

She practically does though iirc humina humina

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you guys are going to rank Star Trek movies, nobody is going argue over the top 5. Putting 6-13 on a rank is the hard part.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

the best Star Trek move is Galaxy Quest

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I've watched all seven seasons of tng and nothing else. not tos, not ds9, not any of the movies, certainly not any of the 2000s crap or any of kurtzman's garbage

based on discussions around the franchise I'm pretty sure that's the ideal way to experience star trek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

kalel posted:

I've watched all seven seasons of tng and nothing else. not tos, not ds9, not any of the movies, certainly not any of the 2000s crap or any of kurtzman's garbage

based on discussions around the franchise I'm pretty sure that's the ideal way to experience star trek
watching tos is a fun time. a lot of it is bad but often in interesting and/or funny ways