Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

To save time, everything is illegal except for:

Working
Shopping
Talking About Strictly
Eating Out to Help Out
Voting Tory ☑️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Actually, I found Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium album was like that. (Ed: Fk me this album is over 30 years old! Unbelievable, saw these guys live in 91 and I was too shy to speak to Lee Dorian but my friend did when we were all sitting together on the floor of the first floor at Astoria). Think my friend is friends with Lee now. Seen them exchanging messages on FB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZkufellkew

Gong/Tubular Bells
I found a post about someone else with the same pressing: https://tubular.net/forums/rare-vinyl-tubular-bells--?act=ST;f=17;t=9226
This was posted 2009, I sold mine in 2007. Who knows, maybe it was the Same One!

Yeah that's the good poo poo. I always like things that lull you with a gentle start and then just blow your head off.
One of my favourites being this beautiful bastard of a track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB3hFLB_jJE
Also, Jesus Christ don't search for that title/band name combination - all but one of the first page of results were child abuse stories :barf:

Be pretty funny if that was your copy of Tubular Gong. Years ago I was going to buy an original vinyl of Joe Byrd and the Field Hippies' American Metaphysical Circus from a friend but he left it on the bus when coming over so nae luck. About 6 months later I found it in a second hand shop in London, got back home to Edinburgh with it only for him to recognise it as his copy from marks on the sleeve and a few scratches. It's a small world.

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone who says that alcohol is a drink, not a drug, is technically correct (the best kind of correct), but not for the reasons that they think.

Drug originally came from Dutch/Low German for 'dry', as in dried herbs, so presumably alcohol is a wiet.

Then again so is anything you put under your tongue with a dropper and I don't think the courts buy that explanation.

Although although they did fairly recently strike nitrous off of the big "everything is a drug" law on account of it being a common gas.
:thunk:
Cool. Never knew that etymology, which makes total sense when you think about it. But I use "drug" idiosyncratically these days to mean anything that alters your state. So yes, sugar and chocolate are also drugs, and so is Fierce Dancing to steal a term from CJ Stone.

I'm almost always sober and straight at gigs these days cos I'm usually driving and refuse to take charge of my lethal weapon weighing well over 3 tonnes van even a little impaired. I still have a total blast though so no loss imo.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

crispix posted:

as society and the basic infrastructure of the country fall apart i increasingly find myself wondering what would have happened if corbyn had come along just a bit later

While this is usually just a recipe for pointless garment tearing or alt histories 2015-2019 is so politically fraught with so many things happening this is cool to puzzle out.

My stab at it:

Any time earlier than mid 2016 - no change, Corbyn is still cast as a joke by press and internally sabotaged, Cameron calls and loses Brexit referendum and May calls the 2017 general election with similar political events thereafter (maybe smaller result at GE as Momentum etc are not as developed but then larger but ultimately futile gains afterwards)

2017-2018: Corbyn opposes May as leader who retains tiny majority - vastly less chaos in Tories meaning fewer defeats and potentially even a Brexit compromise on the lines of the current arrangement (by the time Brexit looms and Corbyns popularity is derided enough it's close enough to the deadline to not want a GE). Corbyn potentially still Labour leader after not getting majority 2020 or 2021 general election running a fairly popular but publicly ridiculed leadership leading to CUK members defecting to other parties at/before GE. Probably did amazingly well during pandemic and is leading a unified union movement about cost of living but focused entirely around parliamentarism rather than anything good.

2019 onwards: Corbyn versus May without Brexit build up and pandemic - serious proposals at a time when massive state action is both obvious and necessary means major boost to credibility as the media are unable to coherently attack (or they do attack and there's massive internal strife as they end up with lots of friendly fire at the same time). Tories still in charge but probably forced into accepting positive structural change on health, no change on anything else.

Really looking back at it Corbyns moment was 2017 and when that didn't come off the project was doomed.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone who says that alcohol is a drink, not a drug, is technically correct (the best kind of correct), but not for the reasons that they think.

Drug originally came from Dutch/Low German for 'dry', as in dried herbs, so presumably alcohol is a wiet.

Then again so is anything you put under your tongue with a dropper and I don't think the courts buy that explanation.

Although although they did fairly recently strike nitrous off of the big "everything is a drug" law on account of it being a common gas.
:thunk:

If drug comes from droog, the dutch for dry, then alcohol would be nut as the Dutch for wet is nat.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

To save time, everything is illegal except for:

Eating Out to Help Out

Pretty sure they made face sitting illegal

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Alcohol is wet.

Are all liquids wet? Is lava wet?

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Hi friends, Keith has said another loving dumb thing:

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1614559429328011264

Right now the Tories are absolutely loving the NHS. Speaking as a doctor, he's literally in a position to walk in a free goal. He just needs to not utterly loving suck. And yet, here we are, with Keith and his loving lickspittle oval office sidekick Streeting, utterly loving BLOWING IT.

GPs have a hard job. They have basically no equipment, and yet are able to fairly successfully assess, triage and manage a great deal of medical presentations. They deal with undifferentiated patients and manage to figure out who needs to go to hospital now, who needs to go soon, who needs to go eventually, and who doesn't need to go at all.

A patient with "blood where there shouldn't be blood" may have multiple problems:-

i) upper airways/nasal bleeding/epistaxis
ii) Respiratory problems - Pulmonary haemorrhage, pneumonia, lung cancer
iii) Heart failure/cardiac problems
iv) Upper GI bleeding
v) Lower GI bleeding - IBD, cancer, polyps
vi) Vaginal bleeding - cancer, periods, etc.
vii) External bleeding - haemorrhoids, fissures.
viii) Urinary tract disease - urinary tract infection. Cancer.

Non exhaustive list.

GPs are great at figuring out which is which. Members of the public are loving awful at figuring out which is which. Especially if they're elderly with multiple confounding factors.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
ix) babbling shite on tv news - could be subarachnoid haemorrhage, could just be day drinking again

Lungboy posted:

If drug comes from droog, the dutch for dry, then alcohol would be nut

Microplastics posted:

Are all liquids wet? Is lava wet?
Alcohol can make a glass wet (having a thin coating of adhered liquid), lava can make a glass wet (in a puddle on your floor).

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

winegums posted:

Speaking as a doctor,

Speaking as a trade unionist, how has your balloting gone - it's been open for a week right? Do you think there's been enough preparation for it? I'm UNISON Health so my branch completely hosed our ballot and I'm going to spend the next few months trying to get us into a organisation worthy of being called a union.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
A subarachnoid haemorrhage sounds like the sort of thing Gavin Williamson would threaten impressionable interns with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is subarachnoid haemmorhaging caused by the brain spiders?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's when they themselves are drunk.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

namesake posted:

Speaking as a trade unionist, how has your balloting gone - it's been open for a week right? Do you think there's been enough preparation for it? I'm UNISON Health so my branch completely hosed our ballot and I'm going to spend the next few months trying to get us into a organisation worthy of being called a union.

Feels positive. We will definitively have positive results, just turnout would be the rate limiter. That said, everyone's so hosed off and burnt out that I'm positive.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Random internet rabbit-hole following just finally told me what the hell Skills Wallets were - via some LibDem local group that had to explain it via memes, because it was too dull to do any other way. Every adult gets £10,000 (in tediously age-banded tranches) to retrain for new work!

Okay. I'm an Old literally in my dream job and the idea of having to retrain to do anything else to support my family fills me with dread. Could I have just had the £10 grand in cash?

Of course not, I'm sure.

Fake edit: UK politics is depressing as gently caress, because I don't want to kick out the Tories only to have something functionally indistinguishable take their place, but that's what we're gonna get. :smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I recall you were only allowed to spend the skills wallets on education, so basically a student loan.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

winegums posted:

Feels positive. We will definitively have positive results, just turnout would be the rate limiter. That said, everyone's so hosed off and burnt out that I'm positive.

Excellent! Every vote counts, literally in terms of getting the 50%, so make sure that there's enough energy in the members to actually return the form rather than anger at the current situation. Ask them every day until they're giving you an unqualified 'Yes I have posted the form'. Point to the UNISON failures if they're even slightly waivering about their individual importance in the result.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Payndz posted:

Okay. I'm an Old literally in my dream job and the idea of having to retrain to do anything else to support my family fills me with dread. Could I have just had the £10 grand in cash?
I'm sure that you could set up two companies, have one accredit the other, and pay that one 10,000 skillcoins for a course in nft management or something, then cash £8k out for yourself as director after taxes.

It's the late-capitalist way.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lungboy posted:

If drug comes from droog, the dutch for dry, then alcohol would be nut as the Dutch for wet is nat.

These are droogs.

(Clockwork Orange for those of you still in the first flush of youth).

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

These are droogs.

One of which is soon to be Nat.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I've been thinking about this all day and I'm going with Wet Seeping. It incites the appropriate level of disgust.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

These are droogs.

And do they have jobs, these droogs?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

These are droogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-curcop3Fy8
Miftan being psychologically attacked by Terry's Clockwork Oranges.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

josh04 posted:

They look like city bankers to me.
Apparently droog (друг) is Russian for 'buddy' or 'friend'. So I guess they're tory donors. Is that a job?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think that's an anti-job. If a job is where you get some fraction of the work you do as cash, then an anti-job is where you give a bunch of cash to never have to do anything.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
While we're doing etymology, the best theory for the origins of "pussy" as in "pussycat", was that it just came from the noises you make to make a cat come to you. I just love that at some point in history someone was like "what the gently caress's *that*" "Iunno, but I want it to come here" :3:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

These are droogs.

Films like this can't be made again.
Absolute genius.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Films like this can't be made again.
Absolute genius.

I don't think I've ever actually seen it.
But I just found out that I can watch it free on my Roku on Movieland.Tv channel, but I shan't watch it now as it's 2:15 and I do in fact have to go in to work tomorrow!

There always used to be problems watching it, Stanley Kubrick would let it be shown for a short time then pull it (somehow don't ask me - in the days before recording was so easy).

Meanwhile, what is the UK coming to:

Members of the taliban being brought out as the voice of reason to counteract 'Arry Prince of Sussex or whatever he is, Hitler quotes to support Terfiness. Wondering what's next!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 16, 2023

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't think I've ever actually seen it.
But I just found out that I can watch it free on my Roku on Movieland.Tv channel, but I shan't watch it now as it's 2:15 and I do in fact have to go in to work tomorrow!

There always used to be problems watching it, Stanley Kubrick would let it be shown for a short time then pull it (somehow don't ask me - in the days before recording was so easy).

I read the book first, which I would recommend.
I was mad into scifi as a kid, loved 2001, and saw this book in the library with Kubrick's name on it, some sort of 'Movie by' label on it.
So thought it was some sci-fi stuff, glad I was wrong.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

happyhippy posted:

I was mad into scifi as a kid, loved 2001, and saw this book in the library with Kubrick's name on it, some sort of 'Movie by' label on it.

I would but I have a large book queue. Not had the mental energy for reading new books for the past 2-3 months. Too much work. Paid & unpaid.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

josh04 posted:

According to this they're "an internationally renowned design label", which might explain the clothing.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

These are droogs.

I'm guessing that you too can remember the paranoid fear that the papers tried to whip up about mascara wearing thugs lurking behind every hedge.
These days they do the same but for toilets. plus ça change

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EmptyVessel posted:

Yeah Gilli Smyth rocks, saw her at Glasto' 81. If you are into Gong at all I can solidly endorse the current post-Daevid Allen incarnation (officially appointed by him as successors pre-death) as well worth seeing. I was sceptical but got dragged to see them a few years ago and they deliver in spades.

It's still loving weird that a band formed in 1967 is active with no members who were in it before 2007. Kavus Torabi is good though, he's in a band with Michael York from Coil and Steve Davis - yes, that one.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's still loving weird that a band formed in 1967 is active with no members who were in it before 2007. Kavus Torabi is good though, he's in a band with Michael York from Coil and Steve Davis - yes, that one.

I quite like the idea of legacy bands continuing down the ages for decades, hell centuries even, long after the originals are gone. Mick Farren's Texts Of Festival type idea.
One of my regular gigs is lighting for a bunch of Madchester era tribute acts, some of whom are considerably tighter as performers than the originals, which is basically the same thing. I've even lit a Duran Duran tribute act - no shame.

Kavus Torabi is indeed excellent, and always seems to be absolutely loving what he's doing. My youngest brother is friends with Michael York and he's going to blag me into a gig later this year where The Utopia Strong are supporting Steve Hillage.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gotta share this before I go to the land of Nod.

https://twitter.com/OL1UR/status/1614630906815209473

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

EmptyVessel posted:

I quite like the idea of legacy bands continuing down the ages for decades, hell centuries even, long after the originals are gone. Mick Farren's Texts Of Festival type idea.
Status Quo is a bit like that now - when I went to see them at Rochester Castle there was only one original member on stage.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

EmptyVessel posted:

One of my regular gigs is lighting for a bunch of Madchester era tribute acts, some of whom are considerably tighter as performers than the originals, which is basically the same thing. I've even lit a Duran Duran tribute act - no shame.

Kavus Torabi is indeed excellent, and always seems to be absolutely loving what he's doing. My youngest brother is friends with Michael York and he's going to blag me into a gig later this year where The Utopia Strong are supporting Steve Hillage.

Jedit posted:

Did you guys or guyesses ever get into those Rock Family Trees?
I used to spend hours pouring over those.

Might treat myself to the book of those as I've got some Xmas money to spend.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 16, 2023

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Gotta share this before I go to the land of Nod.

https://twitter.com/OL1UR/status/1614630906815209473

I hope that's a joke.
Though if it's not it might mean that the techbros all Darwin award themselves into extinction. So on reflection I'm in favour.

Angrymog posted:

Status Quo is a bit like that now - when I went to see them at Rochester Castle there was only one original member on stage.
See also Hawkwind.
Who with the recent addition of Thighpaulsandra means that I get to see a band including members of my two favourite bands (HW and Coil).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Angrymog posted:

That must be Francis Rossi because Rick Parfitt died (unless you were talking before then).
They were the only two originals left in the band when I saw them several millennia ago.

Just checked Rick Parfitt stopped touring with Quo in September 2016 given his health and died in December 2016.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 16, 2023

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Going to start a band that changes at least one member every gig with a four-gig membership limit until it has featured every musician in the country

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Coming from the movie, the final chapter of the book is such a brilliant punchline yeah ultraviolence is fine I guess but have you considered a few hands of motherfuckn' Bridge??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That must be Francis Rossi because Rick Parfitt died (unless you were talking before then).
They were the only two originals left in the band when I saw them several millennia ago.

Just checked Rick Parfitt stopped touring with Quo in September 2016 given his health and died in December 2016.

Yeah, it was Rossi. Parfit was still alive, but not on stage. The Quo have played Rochester Castle a suprising number of times.