Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tiny Timbs posted:

Holy gently caress the end of For All Mankind season 2 rips

Yeah buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Tiny Timbs posted:

Holy gently caress the end of For All Mankind season 2 rips

All downhill from there, sadly.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

The Menu was good, was kinda wary of the hype cause you bastards said Barbarian was great and that poo poo suuuuuuuuuucked

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rental Sting posted:

All downhill from there, sadly.

Season 3 isn't that bad but also, yeah

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

a sexual elk posted:

The Menu was good, was kinda wary of the hype cause you bastards said Barbarian was great and that poo poo suuuuuuuuuucked

barbarian wasn't good only bc it had a disappointing and laughable third act compared to what i thought were decently intriguing and interesting first two acts.

the menu was just disappointing and laughable the whole time

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The Menu was a fun HBO Friday night watch, but no more than that. Still, I will say subjectively that I found it a lot better than Glass Onion. The further I get from my watch of Glass Onion, the more I am disappointed by it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

nate fisher posted:

The Menu was a fun HBO Friday night watch, but no more than that. Still, I will say subjectively that I found it a lot better than Glass Onion. The further I get from my watch of Glass Onion, the more I am disappointed by it.

i wanted to like it so much and was really looking forward to it based on how much i enjoy the first. i had a good time in the theater during its limited run, but when it came out on netflix and i fired it up, i realized i wasn't as excited as i thought i was. around 20 minutes in i was like ok yeah this isn't great tbh and it took me like three nights to finally finish it. knives out is vastly superior if you compare but really there almost is no comparison.

e: i thought this article explained things pretty nicely when considering glass onion and the menu

quote:

[...]both “Glass Onion” and “The Menu” are wickedly entertaining. They’re the kind of fun, occasionally edge-of-your-seat movies that make paying for overpriced popcorn and candy at the theater actually worth it. There’s even a tasty excitement that comes from the expectation that these rich characters will surely get some sort of comeuppance.

But as superior eat-the-rich films have shown us, we should also come to understand — and maybe even properly detest — the landscape that propped them up in the first place. And why these characters’ foils feel more like stand-ins for the audience with no voices of their own.

It makes for a profoundly empty viewing experience.

[...]films like “The Purge” and “Parasite” challenge the moral compasses of the people who live inside both ends of these stories just as much as they do their audiences’. Others like “Hustlers” and “Ready or Not” leave little room for debate as they seat us right in the chairs of those that have been impacted by greed and opulence.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 15, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah I don't disagree with that at all. Both fun flicks but not particularly deep meaningful or impactful.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I never saw The Menu as an eat the rich film. Its more specifically targeted at foodie culture, which happens to consist mostly of rich people. I think its more about art losing sight of its purpose for existing to please those who use it for their own vanity.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I never saw The Menu as an eat the rich film. Its more specifically targeted at foodie culture, which happens to consist mostly of rich people. I think its more about art losing sight of its purpose for existing to please those who use it for their own vanity.

Yeah this was my take away from it. Hell Margot and the chef to a lesser extent say almost exactly the same thing in the movie

I've been getting caught up on Willow and it's just kind of meh. The supporting cast is just so unlikable, anyone except for Willow could die and I would not give a poo poo in the slightest.

The cameo by Christian Slater was pretty cool though , haven't seen him in minute.

Field Mousepad fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 15, 2023

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the menu uses foodie culture as a canvas for its eat-the-rich message. if it were simply about foodies it wouldn't be on an impossibly expensive secret island filled with high profile "don't you know who i am?" types who gloat about how they get to have this experience that is inaccessible to commoners. it's why ATJs character is spared bc she's a "server" and not a "consumer" or whatever.

i will admit i was having such a bad time with it i was half paying attention at the end, but i do think it drove home the point of art for art's sake getting in the way of true creative endeavor and passion when it was revealed that ralph fiennes character was just a burger flipper and was eventually robbed of his passion by being elevated to the world's greatest most prestigious chef for insufferable snobs?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Menu was a stupid film I had a ton of fun with, helped particularly by Fiennes. I did want it to get 50% stupider tho, like give me a CGI shark jumping up and taking a bite out of that angel investor.
I actually really like her using "restaurant rules" to get out cuz it's not as if it would've worked for any of the rich parasites, Fiennes just wanted an excuse to get her out of there from the start.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

the menu uses foodie culture as a canvas for its eat-the-rich message. if it were simply about foodies it wouldn't be on an impossibly expensive secret island filled with high profile "don't you know who i am?" types who gloat about how they get to have this experience that is inaccessible to commoners. it's why ATJs character is spared bc she's a "server" and not a "consumer" or whatever.
I don't know that this assertion is necessarily true if it's caricaturing the top tier of stupid fancy restaurants, (but i haven't watched it yet so this isn't a statement about which interpretation of the actual move is correct)

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Finally boarded the Severance hype-train this week and blew through S1.

That cliffhanger is abusive enough to be flagged by the Geneva convention wtf

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I was standing on my couch, yelling at the TV

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm trying to remember the ultimate ending because the last three episodes were all epic cliffhangers

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Menu was not about class it was about the art world

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Watched Communion (1989), a movie I remember absolutely terrifying me as a little kid because I could never watch it past the first cabin sighting scenes.

Hoooooooooly poo poo that movie becomes a literal comedy in the back half and I was not at all prepared. Walken clearly did not give a single poo poo about the tone and he’s very much having a ball just dialing all his little tics up to 11, and the gross little blue pig men that they conveniently leave out of all the trailers and the poster are absolutely hilarious. 10/10, hard recommend if you’re looking for a fun Walken performance.

I know IMDb trivia is usually complete bullshit, but I really want this one to be true:

quote:

While serving as executive producer, author Whitley Strieber, whose experiences serve as the basis of the film, expressed concerns about Christopher Walken's abilities in portraying him. When Strieber finally told Walken that he might be portraying him as a little too crazy, Walken replied, "If the shoe fits."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I so badly want to see Severance it sounds exactly what I'd like but ewwww cliffhangers

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I so badly want to see Severance it sounds exactly what I'd like but ewwww cliffhangers

It's really good. We can all be thankful it's not on Netflix, who would've cancelled it by now.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

precision posted:

The Menu was not about class it was about the art world

I mean,

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Bell Stiller made his career making such poo poo movies that he despises anyone who went to see them. The Severance cliffhanger is punishment.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

mcmagic posted:

Bell Stiller made his career making such poo poo movies that he despises anyone who went to see them. The Severance cliffhanger is punishment.

Zoolander fucks tho

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
And Dodgeball

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Heavyweights

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm trying to remember the ultimate ending because the last three episodes were all epic cliffhangers

Dylan wins the Waffle Party, which is revealed to be an orgy, and ditches it to go turn on the Overtime protocol for everyone else. Mark wakes up at a party at his house, celebrating his sister's baby. Ms. Cobel is also there, realizes he's "inny" Mark when he calls her by the wrong name, and alerts Milchick. In his room, Mark sees a picture of his late wife and recognizes her as the (alive) counselor at Lumen. Irving drives to find Burt, and finds him celebrating his retirement with his husband. Helly wakes up at a gala celebrating Lumen--she's the daughter of the CEO of the company, and got severed as a PR stunt. The episode ends as Milchick breaks into the security office to stop Dylan--Helly steps up to the mic, Irving knocks on Burt's door, and Mark rushes into the party and shouts, "she's alive!"

Just yelling at my tv, no care for the neighbors at all

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 16, 2023

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Watched Communion (1989), a movie I remember absolutely terrifying me as a little kid because I could never watch it past the first cabin sighting scenes.

Oh man, yeah Communion is hot garbage bullshit and it loving owns

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Tbh while it's clearly a cliffhanger ending if Severance ended that way it kinda would stand alone enough on its own. Plus that final line is one of the best deliveries I've ever heard. It makes watching the entire season worth it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tim Whatley posted:

Tbh while it's clearly a cliffhanger ending if Severance ended that way it kinda would stand alone enough on its own. Plus that final line is one of the best deliveries I've ever heard. It makes watching the entire season worth it.

There's basically no way season 2 beats it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy shnikeys the last of us owns

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

precision posted:

I said this in the main thread but holy poo poo the beginning sequence was almost shot for shot of the game and I forgot how stressful that was

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

precision posted:

Seeing Big Head from Silicon Valley as a serious character was pretty jarring

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

I said this in the main thread but holy poo poo the beginning sequence was almost shot for shot of the game and I forgot how stressful that was

the grandma intro thing was terrifying

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm so happy. They nailed it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Deadite posted:

Seeing Big Head from Silicon Valley as a serious character was pretty jarring

Oh man THAT'S who that was. I couldn't place him.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
The Menu was ostensibly about the art world and the negative aspects of selling out and such (and they basically explicitly spell this out in conversation between Ralph Fiennes and ATJ) but the message is fairly muddled, e.g. how John Leguizamo's assistant's sin was just going to Brown with no student loans.

What the heck was the bit about Ralph Fiennes sexually harassing his sous chef? That was a pretty heavy detail to include in the middle with no real follow-up. He mentions that he was "a monster" and his final menu is his way of atoning but it was pretty offensive imo to use a detail like that as a random bit of backstory

I actually thought the movie looked great and a lot of the more traditional suspense scenes like the fake Coast Guard guy showing up were well-done and had a lot of tension; the movie would've probably worked better for me as a more straightforward Panic Room-style thriller rather than a half-hearted social commentary

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
The Menu was pretty clearly a comedy imo.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Aglet56 posted:

The Menu was ostensibly about the art world and the negative aspects of selling out and such (and they basically explicitly spell this out in conversation between Ralph Fiennes and ATJ) but the message is fairly muddled, e.g. how John Leguizamo's assistant's sin was just going to Brown with no student loans.

bc it's about class/money, not just artsy fartsy pretentious foodies. did you not hear the finance bros going on and on about how they could pay their way out of the situation and having their financial records used as blackmail?

quote:

What the heck was the bit about Ralph Fiennes sexually harassing his sous chef? That was a pretty heavy detail to include in the middle with no real follow-up. He mentions that he was "a monster" and his final menu is his way of atoning but it was pretty offensive imo to use a detail like that as a random bit of backstory

it's because it's a mess of a movie with no real substance behind its message (kinda like a breadless bread plate amirite??)

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The Menu is Se7en except in a restaurant.

Tech bros = greed
Drunk mother = gluttony
C-list actor = sloth
Lecherous old man = lust
Foodie fanboy = envy
Food critic = pride
Chef = wrath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's because otherwise chef is an unblemished hero instead of being as bad as his customers as he clearly feels. For him The Menu is redemption thru pure art, substantially created by the ppl that work under him and suffered due to him.