Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but you can compare the prizes given out on different channels and still see a huge difference. The money they get on the Chase or w/e is massive compared to what you can win playing Pointless, and there's no way in hell the BBC could ever run anything like WWTBAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

speaking of who wants to be a millionaire - the prize levels are still the same as they were when it launched 25 years ago. if those had been raised with inflation at all the grand prize would be about £1.8M by now. ITV are being less generous by half.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Cerv posted:

speaking of who wants to be a millionaire - the prize levels are still the same as they were when it launched 25 years ago. if those had been raised with inflation at all the grand prize would be about £1.8M by now. ITV are being less generous by half.

The places they draw their lines in who wants to be a millionaire are different too - you'd get people winning loads more previously

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
They dropped it down to 12 questions in 2007. Looks like it went back up to 15 when they brought it back.

According to Wiki, there's something called a Custom Milestone in the newer ones. Not sure what that is as I've only seen bits and pieces of that version.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They should really double the prize money to recognise the fact that contestants have to sit near and talk to Jeremy Clarkson for an extended period of time.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Mickolution posted:

According to Wiki, there's something called a Custom Milestone in the newer ones. Not sure what that is as I've only seen bits and pieces of that version.

You can place one of the milestones (where if you lose, you take home that amount) at any point. Only for the next question, though, so it's no good if you don't know the answer to the current one.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
watching the 1st episode of The Apprentice UK.

It's dreadful. These people just aren't clicking with me. Has the better apprentice show finally run its course?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Nystral posted:

watching the 1st episode of The Apprentice UK.

It's dreadful. These people just aren't clicking with me. Has the better apprentice show finally run its course?
Hello 2008.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have shame that I used to enjoy the American one for obvious reasons, but the UK one was bad even in the good years.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

The Apprentice has a problem in that all the contestants are now stuck up aggressive business twats. There's no comparison to normal people. The show was better when Tom won.

The BBC was also more fun when they played into the fact that their prizes were crap. Blankety Blank was notorious for it.

Deal or No Deal was an interesting one, as a contestant could potentially walk away with 250k every day.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Also now the end reward is "pay your business plan" the way the show works legit makes no sense whatsoever
It's like if in Dragons Den you had to do a bunch of random poo poo for 10 episodes before you got to go on

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Taear posted:

Also now the end reward is "pay your business plan" the way the show works legit makes no sense whatsoever
It's like if in Dragons Den you had to do a bunch of random poo poo for 10 episodes before you got to go on

Not just 'pay your business plan' but 'this old prick takes a 50% stake in your business'. No serious person is going for that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tsietisin posted:

Deal or No Deal was an interesting one, as a contestant could potentially walk away with 250k every day.

Deal or No Deal is probably unique as you 100% always win something.

Which is funny when you think that while busting a bollock trying to win in Tipping Point or The Chasers and still win nothing,
that £5 from a lovely box in No Deal is infinite times a better result.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
£5, having to be near Noel Edmonds and the stigma of being a idiot who believes in the power of woo-woo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Happy Valley ep 2 good but omg these episode endings are killing me I just wanna see what happens next SO BAD

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tsietisin posted:

The Apprentice has a problem in that all the contestants are now stuck up aggressive business twats. There's no comparison to normal people. The show was better when Tom won.

"now"?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The show should be memory holed for giving Kat*e Hopk*ns a platform and small measure of fame

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
my favorite part of the apprentice is sugar absolutely not giving a poo poo about the challenge that week, but has to by obligation.

"Cupcakes are serious business, you're going to develop, create, and sell cupcakes. Whatever"

but the show is on the last days, and I think it's solely just people getting sick of the bickering in the boardroom.

It's not as dramatic as a Traitors ceremony, and when it comes to game shows, BBC would only throw big money if it's a National Lottery game like Who Dares Wins.

ITV is absolutely where the game shows are headed, with a reboot of Big Brother AND Deal or No Deal on the way.

Channel 4 is your home to Jimmy Carr and Katherine Ryan comedy nights.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

happyhippy posted:

Deal or No Deal is probably unique as you 100% always win something.

Which is funny when you think that while busting a bollock trying to win in Tipping Point or The Chasers and still win nothing,
that £5 from a lovely box in No Deal is infinite times a better result.

Nobody is busting a bollock trying to win tipping point. The questions are terrible and it’s mostly just down to luck

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Nobody is busting a bollock trying to win tipping point. The questions are terrible and it’s mostly just down to luck

I know two women that applied and got on the program mainly because they really, really wanted to meet Ben Shephard, the host. He is catnip to ladies of a certain age.

One of them won £2500 and a spa weekend, the other got kicked off in the first round but said she'd had a lovely time, and Ben was very handsome and gave her a hug, bless her.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Irisi posted:

I know two women that applied and got on the program mainly because they really, really wanted to meet Ben Shephard, the host. He is catnip to ladies of a certain age.

One of them won £2500 and a spa weekend, the other got kicked off in the first round but said she'd had a lovely time, and Ben was very handsome and gave her a hug, bless her.

Sounds like she's living her best life tbh, good for her

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shame to get on Only Connect you have to be actually smart.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I used to work with someone who made it through several rounds on Only Connect and he definitely seemed like an intimidatingly smart guy. Didn't win it though so I guess not that smart.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Best friend from school was an octochamp on Countdown.
gently caress knows where he got the skills for that, we were smoking weed and doing acid most weekends.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

happyhippy posted:

Best friend from school was an octochamp on Countdown.
gently caress knows where he got the skills for that, we were smoking weed and doing acid most weekends.

Wait, so getting high and then spending hours researching and watching documentaries on a specific topic is uncommon?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ObamaAkbar. posted:

The questions are (just like the national lottery gameshow) really loving easy and I can't help but feel like they selectively pick massive idiots.
There's some people who are on loads of different gameshows and I've never seen any of them on tipping point

Sorry to Irisi's friend

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Don't worry folks, this weekend is a new Limitless Win with those lovable scamps from SM:TV, ant and dec.

How many steps will teams go up the "limitless money ladder" on questions like "how old is Harry Styles?" and "how many centimeters tall is a Cornetto"

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The US version of The Traitors is up on iplayer.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I was almost a contestant on a game show... Sort of.

Back in march last year me and the wife were going to be contestants on a pilot episode of a gameshow that they say is a combination of The Generation Game, Bullseye and Fun House. From that combination we were reading to go.

Unfortunately 2 days prior to attending we both got COVID and well that was the end of that. I hope whatever the show is called gets picked up as I do want to know what we missed out on.

Speaking of Deal or no Deal, it was filmed in Bristol and with my weird shifts at the time I would regularly go to be in the audience for filming. It's quite something watching it live when you can see ALL of the contestant's reactions and not just those suitable for broadcast.

Being a regular "pilgrim" was a thing, so much so that there was actually a loyalty card for audience members. If you were in the audience 10 times you could get one of the old disused boxes. Seriously.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

If anyone was tempted to give the US version of The Traitors a go, since it's all on iPlayer today – don't, it's rubbish.

My gripes: instead of all normal people, half the cast is made up of American reality TV stars (plus faux armed robbery victim Ryan Lochte) and they're all unbearably annoying. Multiple people have already described themselves as "iconic". The challenges are identical to the other series, which makes it feel even more repetitive. Alan Cumming isn't as good a host as Claudia Winkleman, although his outfits are in the same spirit.

Overall it just has none of the charm of the UK version. Not really a surprise, I guess, but definitely won't watch past the first episode.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Back when Who Wants to Be a Millionaire was in its pomp, a family friend was on as a contestant. However, he never made it beyond that first round where you have to quickly put events in chronological order or whatever.

I always thought that must have been pretty galling.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Perfect Element posted:

Back when Who Wants to Be a Millionaire was in its pomp, a family friend was on as a contestant. However, he never made it beyond that first round where you have to quickly put events in chronological order or whatever.

I always thought that must have been pretty galling.

Surely loads of people must have never made it past that bit. Since there's like 10 of them each episode and usually only 2 or 3 people who actually make it to the chair.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

And the ones that do include proper semi-pro quizzers who build boxes to practice on at home and call each other to find out what the original phone question is. Seriously.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

TelevisedInsanity posted:

my favorite part of the apprentice is sugar absolutely not giving a poo poo about the challenge that week, but has to by obligation.

"Cupcakes are serious business, you're going to develop, create, and sell cupcakes. Whatever"

but the show is on the last days, and I think it's solely just people getting sick of the bickering in the boardroom.

It's not as dramatic as a Traitors ceremony, and when it comes to game shows, BBC would only throw big money if it's a National Lottery game like Who Dares Wins.

ITV is absolutely where the game shows are headed, with a reboot of Big Brother AND Deal or No Deal on the way.

Channel 4 is your home to Jimmy Carr and Katherine Ryan comedy nights.

channel 5 is camera crews following around the police and supermarket workers

and john prescott visiting crisp factories

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Hold The Front Page is quite fun but I'm not entirely sure why Josh and Nish expect to get a story from East Lancashire into the Blackpool Gazette.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Mickolution posted:

That's exactly it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZqptZmxV4

For anyone who watched it in the 90s, don't worry, Spider hasn't gone bad, he's (somehow) an undercover copper now!

I haven't really watched Corrie since Haley died 15ish years ago. My parents gave up on it as well more recently so I don't even get to catch up at Easter and Christmas any more.

Edit: I remember Kevin implausibly having an affair with Tyrone's missus at the time and trying to assassinate Tyrone by buggering around with the brakes on his car. When was that?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Happy Valley was doing so loving well and then it pulled that “I can’t tell you the whole truth, you’re just going to have to trust me!” poo poo. Just tell him you loving moron!!!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Gambrinus posted:

I haven't really watched Corrie since Haley died 15ish years ago. My parents gave up on it as well more recently so I don't even get to catch up at Easter and Christmas any more.

Edit: I remember Kevin implausibly having an affair with Tyrone's missus at the time and trying to assassinate Tyrone by buggering around with the brakes on his car. When was that?

I think Hayley died in the mid 2010s and the latter part was before that, the kid born of that affair is now like, 17 and has his own storylines I think, he lost a leg cause of flesh eating bacteria or something. So it's been awhile.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hi All. Just popping in to the general TV threads to make you aware that the Annual TVIV Best of the Year poll is currently open. If you've watched TV over the last year and would like to let people know what you've been watching, please drop by the thread and share.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020189

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

So does anyone know why that woman suddenly left the apprentice? I mean I can GUESS why but I'm curious still
It's loving impossible to find poo poo like this out now I feel, there's too many websites just making GBS threads out the same copy pasted info

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 16, 2023