Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I would love for my kids to sleep for five hours at a time, and I’ve got a 3.5 and 19 mo old.

Re: sleep sacks vs blankets. I found many sources to suggest transitioning when your kid is able to walk. I got rid of sacks and gave them a baby sized blanket when they could walk, but I didn’t give a pillow until my daughter was two, and I have yet to give my son a pillow. FWIW my children have huge heads, and a pillow seems to make things uncomfortable. Both kids are without a pillow tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
On the sleep sack thing, the advice I've seen is 18mo or when they move around less in the crib at night. Our 15mo still rolls around a decent amount at night and there's no way a blanket would stay on her. The woolino sleep sacks we have ought to last up to age 2 or so though.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

hallo spacedog posted:

What age did people transition from sleep sack to blanket and pillow for their kids?

Had never heard of sleep sacks warm enough to be sufficient without a blanket. Hence, used a thin blanket from day 1. In fact, they handed us a blanket for use at the maternity ward.

Edit: pillow at two, a thin one.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 15, 2023

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

My son is two and still in a wearable blanket because he moves around like crazy (total 180 degree rotations in the crib). We just got him a pillow and he doesn’t stay on it either. I am in the midst of crocheting him a blanket though.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Thanks for the sleep sack info. My 20 month old really doesn't seem to be very comfortable in hers anymore and is always trying to take it off so I think it may be time.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I think we dropped it around 18-20 months, but the kiddo also hates blankets.

Every now and then I can sneak a blanket on to him but he has it all kicked off by morning.

Also doesn’t like the pillow we got him. Hopefully the PJs keep him warm enough.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Sleep sack was gone around 24 months, she was actively resisting it. We swapped to blankets around that time which she preferred but she rarely stays in them the whole night and usually wakes us up at least once to go and fix them. Never really took to pillows so I dunno when that’ll happen.

She’s also 3 and still in the crib, but we’ll probably move her to a bed pretty soon. I’m not really looking forward to her being able to run around her room when not tired and/or fall off the bed which is almost certainly going to happen with how much she rolls around.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

We used the big kid wearable sleep blankets (can stick their feet out) until he was like 3 maybe? He couldn't keep blankets on while he was sleeping until then so we just put him in a wearable one and he loved it.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

We stopped using sleep sacks after a several months or so. When it started to become summer of 2020, she was only going to bed in light pajamas. Never brought sleep sacks back since my husband keeps the house pretty warm. I let her have a light blanket in bed around 1, though it never stayed on. We switched to a toddler bed around 20 months since she was climbing the crib. I put some folded blankets on the floor in case she fell out of bed. I got her a toddler pillow around 2, but she doesn’t use it. Some nights she moves around a lot, and others she hardly moves around at all.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Our house is idiotically drafty, and impossible to keep very warm otherwise I would honestly probably just do that

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

We keep our house at 72 basically year round, and our 2 year old has been using fleece footie onesie pajamas in the winter or lighter cotton ones in the summer with nothing else since 1.

We just started with a blanket at 2 and it seems to work fine. She’s slept 7-7 except when sick or teething since about 10 months.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Boyfriend’s four year old has entered the “why” phase, and we got into why does money exist earlier 😂

And just now. Why are comedians.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

CherryCola posted:

Boyfriend’s four year old has entered the “why” phase, and we got into why does money exist earlier 😂

:eng101: as an economist dad, I hope you explained the double coincidence of wants

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The threat of having her never-used crib given to us (pending parents) convinced my 6 y.o. niece to start sleeping in it. Her parents pulled off one side and shoved it up against their bed... they're hoping she'll transition over to her (never-used) real bed after a week or two like this.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

CherryCola posted:

I can't fuckin wait for that period. I'm just gonna go full shitposting dad on every explanation.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

this has been an issue for my son since basically he became mobile but it was pretty bad tonight so its on my mind. basically, should i be worried about how little he eats? he basically never wants to, it's extremely difficult to keep him on task during mealtimes. he just wants to play or do his own thing. half the time i end up just feeding him myself even though he's almost three and knows how to use a fork and spoon -- i put food into his mouth because he just won't do it. usually he'll eat that way but it's very frustratign to have to do this all the time. and then tonight he just barely wanted to eat anything, even refusing that he asked for and that i was putting into his mouth.

he seems happy, developmentally on track, getting taller (but skinny!), and has a lot of energy all the time so maybe i'm worried about nothing? he knows what he needs and is eating what he needs?

i feel bad for complaining or feeling frustrated about mealtimes too because we have a newborn and my wife basically cant do anything because she's nursing all day.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
When you feel really worried, start tracking his intake with a food log. You can go full excel spreadsheet, diet app, or just text message log. There are crests and troughs of nutritional intake dependant on growth spurts, temperament, teething, and your skill as a cook.

It'll be necessary if you escalate to a medical professional, but 8 times outta 10 you'll find out that the dude is fine he was just in between growth spurts.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

We had that issue with my kid for a long time. She was seven weeks premature and has always been tiny. We struggled to get enough food in her — adding formula to breast milk to get more calories kind of thing.

You can talk to your pediatrician; ours was basically like “as long as she’s on the same curve, it’s fine.” So we have this little 3rd percentile toddler who is very happy and doing well otherwise.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

dismas posted:

We had that issue with my kid for a long time. She was seven weeks premature and has always been tiny. We struggled to get enough food in her — adding formula to breast milk to get more calories kind of thing.

You can talk to your pediatrician; ours was basically like “as long as she’s on the same curve, it’s fine.” So we have this little 3rd percentile toddler who is very happy and doing well otherwise.

thanks, i will ask about this at his three year checkup. i just looked up his weight on one of those growth curve charts and i think he's around 75th percentile in weight so maybe it's all fine. he was like in the 95th percentile as a baby though lol, total giant. my wife and i are both pretty skinny so maybe he's just getting to how hes gonna be.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My wife is a clinical dietician and was SUPER into reading research related to childhood feeding. Basically you control when and what they eat they control how much. As long as they’re on the same trajectory from checkup to checkup it’s fine.

Also especially in little kids a pound and an inch can wildly separate what percentile they’re in. I wouldn’t worry unless your doctor is.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

this has been an issue for my son since basically he became mobile but it was pretty bad tonight so its on my mind. basically, should i be worried about how little he eats? he basically never wants to, it's extremely difficult to keep him on task during mealtimes. he just wants to play or do his own thing. half the time i end up just feeding him myself even though he's almost three and knows how to use a fork and spoon -- i put food into his mouth because he just won't do it. usually he'll eat that way but it's very frustratign to have to do this all the time. and then tonight he just barely wanted to eat anything, even refusing that he asked for and that i was putting into his mouth.

he seems happy, developmentally on track, getting taller (but skinny!), and has a lot of energy all the time so maybe i'm worried about nothing? he knows what he needs and is eating what he needs?

i feel bad for complaining or feeling frustrated about mealtimes too because we have a newborn and my wife basically cant do anything because she's nursing all day.

My 3 year old went through a few phases like this and when we brought it up to the pediatrician she didn’t worry about it in the slightest, even though my kid has consistently been in the lowest percentiles.

If your kid snacks maybe stop offering those or increase the time between meals. We also stopped giving milk at night after dinner to try and get her to learn that dinner is the last meal of the day.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hahaha, my second child will be born shortly. Now my advice will be twice as valuable.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I swear I've observed several dozen balls roll normally across the floor then--seeing an opportunity for escape under the couch or TV table--dart mouse-like and hide underneath. As far as it can get, eluding my grasp.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

KirbyKhan posted:

Hahaha, my second child will be born shortly. Now my advice will be twice as valuable.

A little more than shortly here but same :respek:

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Tom Smykowski posted:

A little more than shortly here but same :respek:

Same, unless 5-6 months is considered shortly. I was going to say something about excited to give advice worth twice as much as zero, but I assume :thejoke: in the first place.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Pham Nuwen posted:

The threat of having her never-used crib given to us (pending parents) convinced my 6 y.o. niece to start sleeping in it. Her parents pulled off one side and shoved it up against their bed... they're hoping she'll transition over to her (never-used) real bed after a week or two like this.

Oh my gosh the reflection of our nature in their behavior is both endearing and terrifying. Humanity is so cute.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Potty training our nearly 3yo... Can't seem to get the poop in the potty. We have been working on it for the past 3 weeks now. We can 100% tell when he needs to poop and he will sit on the potty to toot and then bounce right up and be 'all done'. Then he will walk around oddly (holding a poop) for a while and urgently need to sit to make another toot, no poop. Repeat for an hour or more until he SUPER URGENTLY HAS TO FIND THE POTTY but there is already poop in the pants. Come on little dude you can do the thing, you've done it a few times before and everybody cheered for you and it was so exciting!

We tried going to pullups full time and it just meant he pooped and peed in them, so it's poop in the undies for now until we figure this out.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
They become tiny versions of yourself and it is god damned annoying.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

extravadanza posted:

Potty training our nearly 3yo... Can't seem to get the poop in the potty. We have been working on it for the past 3 weeks now. We can 100% tell when he needs to poop and he will sit on the potty to toot and then bounce right up and be 'all done'. Then he will walk around oddly (holding a poop) for a while and urgently need to sit to make another toot, no poop. Repeat for an hour or more until he SUPER URGENTLY HAS TO FIND THE POTTY but there is already poop in the pants. Come on little dude you can do the thing, you've done it a few times before and everybody cheered for you and it was so exciting!

We tried going to pullups full time and it just meant he pooped and peed in them, so it's poop in the undies for now until we figure this out.

my kid does this too, its very annoying, like he will deny needing to poo poo at all and then poo poo his pants

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

Have you considered not walking around with poop in your undies?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

KirbyKhan posted:

Our daughter is way too much like me. I feel bad for my wife.

I asked our daughter to please do X. She turns around and goes you can't demand things daddy. We tell her she needs to ask for things nicely and not demand. Lol what a poo poo head.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love it when they state a rule you're following as if you're breaking it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

lobster shirt posted:

my kid does this too, its very annoying, like he will deny needing to poo poo at all and then poo poo his pants

Happens here too. My theory is it is an extension of the toddler reflex to say "No" to literally everything and demand reality be bent to what they want.

I've had good luck with reframing it as "your body is telling you that you need to poop" because unlike me telling him to poop there isn't anyone to argue with.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Happens here too. My theory is it is an extension of the toddler reflex to say "No" to literally everything and demand reality be bent to what they want.

I've had good luck with reframing it as "your body is telling you that you need to poop" because unlike me telling him to poop there isn't anyone to argue with.

My toddler would disagree. She’s yelled at herself before trying to hold in pee and poop.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
My toddler would demand an applesauce just tell me no when I went to hand it to him. Why would making GBS threads his pants be any different.

edit: Of course he would also complain when I went to put the now opened apple sauce packet in the fridge too...

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

harperdc posted:

9-month-old now has a whacked-out sleep schedule, wakes up after 5 hours sleeping overnight, and won’t go back to bed in her crib. I’ve had the baby gently snoring in the baby carrier for almost two hours, but try and put her back to bed, and it’s a siren scream immediately.

This truly is hell.

We went through something like that with our now-13 month old. Especially when we all had Covid (around 10 months) she slept on us a bunch (well, mostly my wife as I am, and I quote, "bony"). But even after she always wanted to sleep on us when she woke up in the night and would wake up when we tried to put her back in bed unless she was deeply asleep. Eventually we just left her in her bed crying until she eventually fell asleep an hour later. The next night it went much quicker and she started sleeping through the night (8pm to 7am give or take).

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 18, 2023

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

We are working on saying "please" with our two-year-old daughter and as cute as her "PEEEEASE" are, the shrieking for Wheels on the Bus (as "MO BUS") is, most assuredly, agonizing

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Good soup! posted:

We are working on saying "please" with our two-year-old daughter and as cute as her "PEEEEASE" are, the shrieking for Wheels on the Bus (as "MO BUS") is, most assuredly, agonizing

Mine has picked up please (pronounced 'swease') but insists on only using it to mean "please don't make me take a bath/change my diaper/wear pants/etc" while screaming and melting down so it is a double edged sword

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Good soup! posted:

I keep getting the “MO BUS” even as wheels on the bus is blaring on the TV, he is playing with his school bus, pointing at a bus book, wearing a bus shirt, and is perched on top of a school bus slide. Kid we are at peak bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Good soup! posted:

my son had an extreme meltdown when he realized that saying please didn't mean he could ask for and get whatever he wanted lol. just screaming "I SAID PLEASE" over and over again.