Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

PhazonLink posted:

Apparently Madison Square Garden was using face scanning tech to remove lawyers linked to firms/cases that are against MSG and removing them.

ah yes making things hard for law magic users this will surely go well.
It may have been at the behest of the owner James Dolan, famous for forcing people to listen to his vanity band JD and the Straight Shot when actual musicians come play at MSG. MSG employees are also expected to attend their shows in NYC clubs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/22/nyregion/madison-square-garden-facial-recognition.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

Apparently Madison Square Garden was using face scanning tech to remove lawyers linked to firms/cases that are against MSG and removing them.

ah yes making things hard for law magic users this will surely go well.
I have no idea what this means, even after realizing you're not talking about lawyers who are against a flavor-enhancing food additive.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

cat botherer posted:

It may have been at the behest of the owner James Dolan, famous for forcing people to listen to his vanity band JD and the Straight Shot when actual musicians come play at MSG. MSG employees are also expected to attend their shows in NYC clubs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/22/nyregion/madison-square-garden-facial-recognition.html

Feels like a great example of small dick energy

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Inferior Third Season posted:

I have no idea what this means, even after realizing you're not talking about lawyers who are against a flavor-enhancing food additive.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Volmarias posted:

Feels like a great example of small dick energy

It's turbopetty gilded age billionaire poo poo. If you worked at a law firm that sued him, even if you weren't directly involved, your name was added to a list, they'd get a picture of you, and then set up their system to recognize you and kick you out if you went to Madison Square Garden for something.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Y'all need some GDPR in your lives.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ephex posted:

Y'all need some GDPR in your lives.

Absolutely. And most major companies already have systems in place to deal with those implications. It needs to be adopted as-is wholesale as a start.

(it will never happen)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Not without some kind of jihad, of the butlerian kind.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
After having to deal with privacy related issues, I’d bet that after sufficiently many states have adopted their own privacy legislations - all of them of course slightly different in various ways - tech companies will be begging for Congress to step in.

Smart ones probably have already started lobbying efforts.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Are states doing things? I know CA has pass their own thing, and NY has had whispers of doing something, but I dougbt it will ever get to the point companies ask the Fed to do something positive.
Regressive will supa nova bark about tinhat poo poo and the fed will again bend the knee to abunch of empty land folk. Hell how did CA pass their thing? is it toothless or jaw/boneless? theyre the techbro state.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

When California starts doing things it can affect the whole nation because it's an enormous market. However, legislation routinely gets watered down to meaninglessness even in liberal strongholds.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

PhazonLink posted:

Are states doing things? I know CA has pass their own thing, and NY has had whispers of doing something, but I dougbt it will ever get to the point companies ask the Fed to do something positive.
Regressive will supa nova bark about tinhat poo poo and the fed will again bend the knee to abunch of empty land folk. Hell how did CA pass their thing? is it toothless or jaw/boneless? theyre the techbro state.
Virginia VCPDA went into effect Jan 1st, Colorado one sometime mid 2023 and Utah one at the end of 2023. California CCPA is in many ways comparable to GDPR, though actual enforcement is an another issue.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Name Change posted:

When California starts doing things it can affect the whole nation because it's an enormous market. However, legislation routinely gets watered down to meaninglessness even in liberal strongholds.

See Right to Repair in New York.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The loving privacy ship sailed a long time ago and it's not coming back.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I close the blinds op

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
There is some comprehensive privacy legislation with the proposed American Data Privacy and Protection Act.
Connecticut and Utah have also passed state-level legislation just like California, Colorado and Virginia.

Stubb Dogg posted:

Virginia VCPDA went into effect Jan 1st, Colorado one sometime mid 2023 and Utah one at the end of 2023. California CCPA is in many ways comparable to GDPR, though actual enforcement is an another issue.

There was a first enforcement action with beauty retailer Sephora that resulted in a $1.2m settlement in August. CPPA is expected to publish final rules in late January.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Verge has a long rear end piece on Musk's rampage inside Twitter. https://www.theverge.com/23551060/elon-musk-twitter-takeover-layoffs-workplace-salute-emoji

quote:

Rumors were swirling that Musk planned to cut 75 percent of the company. People were audibly sobbing in the bathrooms.

quote:

On October 26, an engineer and mother of two — let’s call her Alicia — sat in a glass conference room in San Francisco trying to explain the details of Twitter’s tech stack to Elon Musk. He was supposed to officially buy the company in two days, and Alicia and a small group of trusted colleagues were tasked with outlining how its core infrastructure worked. But Musk, who was sitting two seats away from Alicia with his elbows propped on the table, looked sleepy. When he did talk, it was to ask questions about cost. How much does Twitter spend on data centers? Why was everything so expensive?

Alicia was already tired of Musk’s antics. For months, he had gone back and forth about buying the company where she had worked for more than a decade. He’d tried to back out of the deal, but Twitter sued, and the chief judge of Delaware’s Chancery Court said a trial would move forward if the acquisition wasn’t complete by October 28. Facing what many legal observers called an easy case for Twitter, Musk caved. So here they were, trying to show Musk what he was about to buy, and all he wanted to talk about was money. 

Fine, she thought. If Musk wants to know about money, I’ll tell him. She launched into a technical explanation of the ­company’s data-center efficiency, curious to see if he would follow along. Instead, he interrupted. “I was writing C programs in the ’90s,” he said dismissively. “I understand how ­computers work.”

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

quote:

Musk’s intimidating security detail standing outside his glass conference room as if guarding the leader of a developing nation.

Jesus loving Christ lol.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Jesus loving Christ lol.

Another point in the "South African tech moguls are driven in part by deep-seated fear of losing their privileged status in society, again" column.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 17, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

To be fair there’s a pretty good chance he’s getting punched in that building otherwise

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:lmao:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

“I was writing C programs in the ’90s,” he said dismissively. “I understand how ­computers work.” Is some top-tier Engineer Brain.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

“I was writing C programs in the ’90s,” he said dismissively. “I understand how ­computers work.” Is some top-tier Engineer Brain.

And of course data center efficiency is more about how cooling systems work anyway.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Evil Fluffy posted:

“I was writing C programs in the ’90s,”
He definitely has some memory leaks

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Holy crap what a piece of poo poo, I mean nothing new there but Jesus, and these were people excited to work with him too lol

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Computers are simple. Everything is just oscillating low or high voltage.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Illinois's law covering biometric data covers facial recognition. It's not full on privacy regulation but it addresses the Madison Square Garden issue if it were to happen in Illinois.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

OddObserver posted:

And of course data center efficiency is more about how cooling systems work anyway.

I took a QBASIC class in high school, please don’t post condescending stuff like this.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I was doing Boolean algebra in the 19th century, I understand modern computers

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

ChatGPT is woke now.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93a4qe/conservatives-panicking-about-ai-bias-years-too-late-think-chatgpt-has-gone-woke

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
"I was programming in the 90s" is one way to say, "My skills are thirty years out of date", sure

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Gort posted:

"I was programming in the 90s" is one way to say, "My skills are thirty years out of date", sure
What do you mean people don't email patches back and forth anymore?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

cat botherer posted:

In that linked article it said that everyone received notice that the new boss wants them all to print out 50 pages of their latest code contributions or whatever. The few working printers they had (nobody was printing poo poo during the pandemic as they were working from home) got overwhelmed and then later they got another email telling them to stop printing poo poo and to dispose all printed code into secure trash bins.

CmdrRiker posted:

I still had to learn how to make a git tarball within the last decade. It was confusing.

What's confusing about tar -czf foo.tar.gz files lol

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 17, 2023

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

I still had to learn how to make a git tarball within the last decade. It was confusing.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

cat botherer posted:

They totally still do. git is famously just a way to format things for mail.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Boris Galerkin posted:

In that linked article it said that everyone received notice that the new boss wants them all to print out 50 pages of their latest code contributions or whatever. The few working printers they had (nobody was printing poo poo during the pandemic as they were working from home) got overwhelmed and then later they got another email telling them to stop printing poo poo and to dispose all printed code into secure trash bins.

What's confusing about tar -czf foo.tar.gz files lol

It was with git archive/format-patch, and the process of needing to do it was confusing.

cat botherer posted:

Wait until you have someone ask to try to send an apk through email.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 17, 2023

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Xand_Man posted:

I was doing Boolean algebra in the 19th century, I understand modern computers

I once spelled FORTRN correctly; don't tell me about data center management, son.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://futurism.com/the-byte/cnet-publishing-articles-by-ai

Anyone here who’s reading those, by chance? I’m curious how well they’ve gone for you.

:laffo: https://futurism.com/cnet-ai-errors looks like CNET’s AI written articles weren’t that accurate after all. They’ve update almost all of them as “under review” now.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Obviously we needed to train it on more 4chan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Needs to spend more time reviewing CS:GO/CoD:MW game chat logs so it can call us all the cheating slurs under the sun.