Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

If anyone wants some tips that should make it easier/quicker to get through the game:
1. You gain a little max hp every time you cumulatively heal your entire health bar. Essentially you could reach max level/rank near the start of the game if you wanted to grind it out. The only thing this seems to affect is your ending rating.
2. I think keys are always in black chests, and equipment is always in large chests, so you should be able to safely ignore other chests if you feel you have enough of the overabundant capacity items. Take this one with a grain of salt though, I don't remember if there are cases where it's wrong. (Edit: Sometimes keys aren't in chests at all.)
3. Getting a spirit to level 4 is very useful, as they will gain a new move that does a specific enchantment on one of your weapons. This will potentially make puzzles involving that enchantment easier. I don't know if you get anything useful for higher levels than that. I think 6 was my highest and I didn't notice anything special about them.
4. During the wind dungeon, there are way more keys than you actually need, so if you don't hit too many side paths, you won't have to backtrack for the final key like I did. This might apply to other dungeons as well. (Edit: It might have actually been post-wind dungeon. This game kind of blurred together for me as I started getting sleep deprived.)

Clawmydia fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

i downloaded kronos off of the lair for this game then saw everyone in here recommending mednafen, is kronos just a bad choice for saturn?

mednafen gave me no problem with the actual emulation, but the built in UI is really barebones, I had to configure my controller every time I booted up the game.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

trying to jack off posted:

to answer you question, i only play on original hardware. anything else is perverse

Oh word?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

2 dungeons in and all I have to say is what the gently caress happened yuzo koshiro

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Plebian Parasite posted:

mednafen gave me no problem with the actual emulation, but the built in UI is really barebones, I had to configure my controller every time I booted up the game.

Christ lol. Just use retroarch!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

I tried that first and three of the included cores didn't work at all and the fourth ran like poo poo. mednafen runs like a dream and looks great after i did that yospos poo poo with the config file

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

P-Mack posted:

I tried that first and three of the included cores didn't work at all and the fourth ran like poo poo. mednafen runs like a dream and looks great after i did that yospos poo poo with the config file

Beetle Saturn has literally run every game I’ve tried perfectly within retroarch. Just make sure the bios files are in the right spot and that’s that.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

: Beat the game

I really think that in game timer is wrong. Probably 15-20 hours.

I liked this guy.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

2 dungeons in and all I have to say is what the gently caress happened yuzo koshiro

the soundtrack is seriously such a let down

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

retroarch is a pile of garbage

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

mycophobia posted:

retroarch is a pile of garbage

Works on my machine.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
say what you will about medafen and mame wrt their interface and config files at least they're all in one place and behave in a consistent manner. christ i tried it the other day because i was curious about some of its features and it took a solid 15 minutes to figure out how to start a drat game, psychopaths designed this interface, not mere nerds

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

SSF has worked flawlessly for every game so far aside from the weird temporary audio bug with Mickey's Magic Castle or w/e. farewell

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Retroarch sucks turds and I would much rather configure my controller 100 times in mednafen than once in Retroarch

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I just checked and OpenEmu uses Medfendenfen which means it's ftw.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Plebian Parasite posted:

Retroarch sucks turds and I would much rather configure my controller 100 times in mednafen than once in Retroarch

it's weird that it does that though. permissions thing maybe?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/cThXoGo.mp4

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

mycophobia posted:

it's weird that it does that though. permissions thing maybe?

eh yea maybe, I could probably fix it if I rooted around a little but I didn't expect to be using it as much as I have, I usually just leave the emulator running while I'm still playing a game so it's not like it's a big hassle anyway.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i used retroarch to make a joke about crt pixels and it was the most insufferable 30 minutes of my life lol what a shitload of gently caress

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Drew Curtis’ RetroFark.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

This.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

mycophobia posted:

say what you will about medafen and mame wrt their interface and config files at least they're all in one place and behave in a consistent manner. christ i tried it the other day because i was curious about some of its features and it took a solid 15 minutes to figure out how to start a drat game, psychopaths designed this interface, not mere nerds

Retroarch is good except for its interface, but it's one of the worst interfaces I've ever seen

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

: Awaken the first 3 Elemental Spirits (Water, Fire, Earth)

Not too bad so far, I definitely like it more than beyond oasis. the music though dude...

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

American McGay posted:

I just checked and OpenEmu uses Medfendenfen which means it's ftw.

openemu is so good. emulating on a mac in the days before it came along was hellish but now it’s got such a simple great platform

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Just took me like 4 hours to get through this dungeon called the mystic room only to discover I don't have the item to open the final door lmao

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So what's the next game.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

Just took me like 4 hours to get through this dungeon called the mystic room only to discover I don't have the item to open the final door lmao

if its the wind rod its just in the room up north from that area

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i spent my whole afternoon yesterday just doing the wind dungeon and the mystic room. i think people would probably enjoy the game a lot more without the time pressure of a week lmfao

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
two spirits down, now for what has been critically acclaimed as "the bad bit"

not sure what this guy was thinking
https://giant.gfycat.com/MassiveDangerousAffenpinscher.mp4

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
also re: saturn emulation

1.) bizhawk
2.) saturn bios in firmware folder

no further loving around needed

it uses the mednafen code so the emulation's good, and it has a sane windows ui for setting controls etc.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i forget who said that they used the bow exactly twice but i can't fathom beating the OgreTank without it

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

symbolic posted:

i forget who said that they used the bow exactly twice but i can't fathom beating the OgreTank without it

im using it a bit more since i got the dark power for it and have shade upgraded so i can apply it whenever i want. but i have no idea what the ogre tank is and im going to do the final dungeon tonight

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

i spent my whole afternoon yesterday just doing the wind dungeon and the mystic room. i think people would probably enjoy the game a lot more without the time pressure of a week lmfao

I'd agree with that if anyone wants to finish it. Starting now would require some crunch time, and the way some of the dungeons slog can be pretty draining. I do think it was well worth playing, so I'd love to see an extension and another game alongside it.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ive been using the rod with jump for more enemies now since it multi hits so much it can shred most of them in one or two goes

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

im using it a bit more since i got the dark power for it and have shade upgraded so i can apply it whenever i want. but i have no idea what the ogre tank is and im going to do the final dungeon tonight

fire shrine boss

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

symbolic posted:

fire shrine boss

i think i cheesed them with the tornado from the water sprite

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i think i cheesed them with the tornado from the water sprite

oh huh i didnt even consider that. oh well

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I started with the bow on OgreTank since I cheesed the first boss just firing at it from far away but it just was barely doing any damage compared to the jump kick attack. Any attack that gets multiple hits is just miles ahead of anything.

: Defeat Cerberus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

4th dungeon down after 4 hrs, Brass looks really cool