Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

kiimo posted:

It's Chicago. They need to stop being dicks about everything. It's miserable in Chicago most of the time. Hell they love to scream at people for saying they live in Chicago depending how many minutes it takes to drive to the lake.

Everything about Chicago makes Chicagoans angry, even what to call the freeways

We’re not miserable. We’re pretentious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hey friends I've been to Chicago literally hundreds of times between dating a girl for six years that went to Northwestern, my brother living in Wrigleyville, my other brother living in Oak Park and then dating a girl from Naperville for ten years. My own opinion on Chicago's plucky blue collar attitude will I keep.

It was endearing when I was 20, now it comes off as MAGA idiocy with a side of antivax disinformation and way too strong blockheaded opinions about everything

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I love Chicago but man I gotta agree everyone there seems like a dick compared to LA, somehow. People in LA just..ignore you? Chicagoans seem to actively dislike everyone. :shrug:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LA has its own version of gigantic aloof assholes, both can be true.

Trolling Chicagoans and New Yorkers about food who wander into the LA thread is a great pastime though. People should not care that much about pizza, bagels and hot dogs.

Bird in a Blender posted:

We’re not miserable. We’re pretentious!

To be specific when I said it's miserable I meant the weather

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

You guys must hang around some weird people because I’ve never met anyone in chicago that actually truly cares about ketchup on hot dogs or who has the better pizza. It’s usually all said in jest. And the weather here is fine most of the time. Except July, July loving sucks.

E: we’re usually considered friendly too! Here’s one where we’re 9th in the country. I’m actually more upset about someone saying we’re full of assholes.

https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/2015-08-11the-2015-friendliest-and-unfriendliest-cities-in-the-us/amp

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Chicago has Malort. No thank you.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

No Butt Stuff posted:

Chicago has Malort. No thank you.

Malort rocks.

I did not know this and my world has been changed if true

https://twitter.com/pleasuresystems/status/1614449203467456514?t=k58d4ELzKD2HvTXsaISN8g&s=19

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 15, 2023

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sorry if it seemed like I was baggin on Chicago, you can go there and interact with Carmy Berzatto and think wow what a great town or you can go there and interact with Cousin Richie and think that place needs to be condemned.

Also since we're talking about Chicago / LA, this guy gets it

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnFXH6fJiMT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

kiimo posted:

Sorry if it seemed like I was baggin on Chicago, you can go there and interact with Carmy Berzatto and think wow what a great town or you can go there and interact with Cousin Richie and think that place needs to be condemned.

Also since we're talking about Chicago / LA, this guy gets it

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnFXH6fJiMT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Ha it’s ok. It’s not like we don’t have our fair share of assholes so I could see where someone could have a lovely experience. Hard to avoid with a couple million people.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Its Rinaldo posted:

Syrup touching animal is extra heretical to Ol Rinaldo

This is why we are food enemies. I love syrupy bacons.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Thought I'd post my shark uterus plate here.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There's a five-way stop sign intersection in a Beverly Hills neighborhood and it's the most perfect example of the particular type of aloof, entitled LA assholes that exist. I had to go through it for work for years and it's like impossible for these people to take turns. All five lanes try to go out of turn at the same time like every single time. It's amazing.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’ve never been to Chicago but I really want to visit. We’ve considered it as a possible relocation destination at some point. Any city with that many folks is bound to be replete with assholes.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I feel the same way about “no ketchup on hot dogs” thing as I do about 95% of “X film/tv show/music sucks poo poo” takes at this point. We can’t just say that something is just meh or OK or not to our taste, it has to be likened to the ball sweat dripping off of Satan’s taint or whatever. It’s so tiring and obnoxious.

Also if my experience in the DC and Denver areas is indicative of the US as a whole, then the people who are assholes about a local thing tend to be far and away people who have moved there and taken living there as their entire identity. Of course there will be a few locals who are a PITA too, but a lot of it seems to come from transplants.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Native LA people often say that all the road rage incidents here are all transplants and I believe it. People actually from here are so chill their heart rates rise for nothing, good or bad.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Braksgirl posted:

This is why we are food enemies. I love syrupy bacons.

Of course you'd like it, my old foe.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The drink of choice back in the day was a 10-Loko: a 4Loko mixed with a 5-Hour Energy and a shot of Ketel One.

Also kimchi as a sauerkraut or basic cabbage replacement is so simple. Kimchi on hot dogs or in tacos is easy fusion mode.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kiimo posted:

There's a five-way stop sign intersection in a Beverly Hills neighborhood and it's the most perfect example of the particular type of aloof, entitled LA assholes that exist. I had to go through it for work for years and it's like impossible for these people to take turns. All five lanes try to go out of turn at the same time like every single time. It's amazing.

That's just a massive failure of traffic design. The idea that people would be able to navigate a five way stop is delusional. Every single 5 way intersection I've ever seen uses traffic lights.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Just make a round about

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Its Rinaldo posted:

Just make a round about

I agree, but some people are complete morons about those too.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Its Rinaldo posted:

Just make a round about

Probably opposed by lobbyist from local Mercedes and BMW repair shops

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Skwirl posted:

That's just a massive failure of traffic design. The idea that people would be able to navigate a five way stop is delusional. Every single 5 way intersection I've ever seen uses traffic lights.

Surely you haven't forgotten the most infamous intersection in Seattle:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/KBAnELotPKM4HhqL8

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

kiimo posted:

dating a girl from Naperville for ten years

quote:

now it comes off as MAGA idiocy with a side of antivax disinformation

The answer is in the question. Naperville is in DuPage County, one of the wealthiest and most conservative counties in the entire state.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

Skwirl posted:

Let me tell you a little story about Kelley Square in Worcester, MA, where, before a redesign a few years ago, seven roads converged on one intersection with only three stop signs. That poo poo was terrifying.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Always more roundabouts

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Russian Guyovitch posted:

Let me tell you a little story about Kelley Square in Worcester, MA, where, before a redesign a few years ago, seven roads converged on one intersection with only three stop signs. That poo poo was terrifying.

Oh god, yeah. I drove through it a couple of times back in college then completely changed my route to get as far away from it as possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU5X0ok5dbk

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kalli posted:

Oh god, yeah. I drove through it a couple of times back in college then completely changed my route to get as far away from it as possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU5X0ok5dbk

Jesus, that reminds me of the hairball intersection in downtown Madison, WI:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Timby posted:

Like as scary as that is in that footage, think about what it's like at 6pm in winter and dark as hell out.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Timby posted:

Honestly, it isn't really that bad. Like 99% of the traffic is either driving straight through to East Wash or turning onto Willy Street.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rectal Placenta posted:

Honestly, it isn't really that bad. Like 99% of the traffic is either driving straight through to East Wash or turning onto Willy Street.

Well, it's much better since they fixed the traffic patterns last year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol sorry I said 5-way stop and it's a 6-way stop and apparently it has a name:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1991-09-05-me-2145-story.html

"Anarchy Corner"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

kiimo posted:

Native LA people often say that all the road rage incidents here are all transplants and I believe it. People actually from here are so chill their heart rates rise for nothing, good or bad.

I'm sure all 40 LA natives are very happy you said that

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Apropos of nothing other than a history deep dive- I don’t know if it’s true that the Kulaks burned their crops out of spite during a famine, but if it’s true it’s the coolest thing anyone has ever done.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Not trying to bring back Waffle House chat but

https://twitter.com/TaylorCuret/status/1614519867398299649

(this is from yesterday so apologies if beaten)

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Good for him. He deserves some Waffle House.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

kiimo posted:

https://twitter.com/TaylorCuret/status/1614519867398299649

(this is from yesterday so apologies if beaten)

It's very much something a Clemson kid would do, going by all the Clemson people I've met

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Shinji2015 posted:

It's very much something a Clemson kid would do, going by all the Clemson people I've met

This is accurate. Also everywhere in the south pretty much, but definitely FL/GA/SC

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Good for him. He deserves some Waffle House.

Shinji2015 posted:

I mean this is the absolute closest I can ever come to relating to the golden boy QB who had everything in the world handed to him because he was very good at a sport.

We're all the same at Waffle House.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

LeeMajors posted:

This is accurate. Also everywhere in the south pretty much, but definitely FL/GA/SC

Pretty much.

drat, I want some Waffle House now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Olympia had the Reef, which was open 24 hours and served chicken and waffles. It also burned down every 3 or 4 years. Still the best and one of the things I miss about college. Now that Beth's is closed in Seattle my only option is the 5 point for a similar 24 hour experience but it's a little too nice and more expensive.