Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

It was only done verbally so I doubt it.

poo poo now a bill for the followup. Now at $600 loving hell.

I feel like such a loving idiot. I asked, the clinic said they accepted it, now I imagine this is one of those legal loopholes of "we accept it but the insurance company won't cover it." I've emailed the clinic but holiday weekend, you know.

I did try to pay at least part of the bill and Cigna says the payment system is down.

I'm assuming, since you mention Cigna and it's $600 for an outpatient procedure, that this is the USA and that the provider is billing you for the difference between their rates and what insurance paid in this case (aka Balance Billing).

Send them a letter:
a. Stating that your recollection is that you were informed on {date} that the practice was in-network and the procedure was covered by your insurance and hence your max liaiblity should be {something} (it should be on your 2022 insurance card - max specialty copay or similar, details depend on your deductible and plan structure). If you have already paid them ${something} then mention that.
b. That you therefore do not believe you are liabile for some or all of the amount owed and dispute the bill.
c. Ask for copies of all documents that you signed related to the surgery (assuming you don't have those already)
d. Ask for a corrected invoice when they have resolved their issues with coverage and billing.
Keep a copy of the letter, keep a log of when and where you mailed the letter, keep everything related to the surgery and billing in a dedicated container (folder, box, w/e).

While you are waiting for your reply, go to https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises/consumers and look for the things they should have given you (e.g. did you get a good faith estimate in advance?)

Do not agree to anything over the phone (e.g. if you just authorize us to charge $200 we'll cancel the bill, to which you'd say "send me a revised final invoice showing that my balance is only $200 and I'll pay that")

See what happens. In the very worst case, you should be able to ask your plan what they would have paid for this procedure (which you would have learned from the EOB if you had been in-network, so there's no reason they shouldn't give it to you), which will be $X and is likely to be in the $200-$250 range, and write them another letter to the effect of "if what you had told me was true, and I was in network, my plan would have paid you $X. If you send me a revised final invoice showing my liability as $X I will pay it within 14 days of receipt".

If you are paranoid about your credit score, etc from this then don't worry too much unless you're taking out a mortgage or a new car loan in the next couple of months.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, bill not-paying expert, or anything else, and if you absolutely hate the idea it's your $600 they are trying to get as a reward for being lazy sods and not verifying coverage pre-procedure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

thepopmonster posted:

I'm assuming, since you mention Cigna and it's $600 for an outpatient procedure, that this is the USA and that the provider is billing you for the difference between their rates and what insurance paid in this case (aka Balance Billing).

Send them a letter:
a. Stating that your recollection is that you were informed on {date} that the practice was in-network and the procedure was covered by your insurance and hence your max liaiblity should be {something} (it should be on your 2022 insurance card - max specialty copay or similar, details depend on your deductible and plan structure). If you have already paid them ${something} then mention that.
b. That you therefore do not believe you are liabile for some or all of the amount owed and dispute the bill.
c. Ask for copies of all documents that you signed related to the surgery (assuming you don't have those already)
d. Ask for a corrected invoice when they have resolved their issues with coverage and billing.
Keep a copy of the letter, keep a log of when and where you mailed the letter, keep everything related to the surgery and billing in a dedicated container (folder, box, w/e).

While you are waiting for your reply, go to https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises/consumers and look for the things they should have given you (e.g. did you get a good faith estimate in advance?)

Do not agree to anything over the phone (e.g. if you just authorize us to charge $200 we'll cancel the bill, to which you'd say "send me a revised final invoice showing that my balance is only $200 and I'll pay that")

See what happens. In the very worst case, you should be able to ask your plan what they would have paid for this procedure (which you would have learned from the EOB if you had been in-network, so there's no reason they shouldn't give it to you), which will be $X and is likely to be in the $200-$250 range, and write them another letter to the effect of "if what you had told me was true, and I was in network, my plan would have paid you $X. If you send me a revised final invoice showing my liability as $X I will pay it within 14 days of receipt".

If you are paranoid about your credit score, etc from this then don't worry too much unless you're taking out a mortgage or a new car loan in the next couple of months.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, bill not-paying expert, or anything else, and if you absolutely hate the idea it's your $600 they are trying to get as a reward for being lazy sods and not verifying coverage pre-procedure.

Thank you for all of this help. I didn't get an estimate at all, the doc just told me the growth was probably X, we were gonna remove it, she numbed me out, cut it off, burned the area to cauterize, and sent the bit off to get checked for cancer. I did ask if they covered my version of Cigna care when I made the appointment, was told yes, and they entered all the info in over the phone before the appointment. At no point did they say anything about pricing.

The weird thing is that the testing was covered partially, but nothing else was.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Dec 26, 2022

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Had a bunch of water in my basement last night, cleaned it up, and it's worse this morning! It's coming up through the floor drain. And we'll have to put it on the credit card, giving us even more debt! Hooray!!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Things were starting to pick up at my new job, which I was excited about and then boom, COVID. I'm on my second week of not being able to go in, and still tetsing positive despite my symptoms being mostly gone. I'm sure I'll eventually get back to it, but at the moment it feels like getting an MS, a long and arduous job search, and then moving to an expensive new area has culminated in me sitting around watching the Napoleon Dynamite cartoon on hulu for the fourth repeat because I feel too lovely to move. At least I didn't have any Christmas plans I had to cancel. Gave it to my wife too :thumbsup:

I'm 90% sure I got it from going to an urgent care for an unrelated matter a few days before my symptoms started showing up. They made sure everyone wore a mask... except of course for the little kid coughing their lungs out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Whole day off. I went walking to a store to get baby supplies and my spouse's favourite food.

Some jackass hit me with his truck window, thought I was fine, nope, my recently "healed" broken leg hurts like hell and now what I thought was a wonderful day is just pain. poo poo fucken hurts, like bad. Barely made it up the stairs. gently caress today, today ruined.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
My grandpa died on Wednesday.

I posted this story before and someone said it made them tear up so I'll say it again. When I was really little I loved the show Animals of Farthing Wood, a story about animals escaping industrialisation to reach a nature reserve (with a surprising amount of death in between). I gave my whole family nicknames from the show and my grandpa was Toad. 30 years later I still call him that. I will miss him forever.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry for your loss.

Nowhere near as bad, but the stress of receiving a medical bill on the weekend, when I already paid it around Christmas time. Trying to contact any billing office and theyre of course closed on weekends, to try and verify that they in fact receive payment. I paid everything through my insurance company's website, I don't know why I'm getting paper bills still, but I'm hoping they received the money and this is just some kind of bureaucratic nonsense because the money is already gone from my account and I can't afford to pay all this twice.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

At no point did they say anything about pricing.

The weird thing is that the testing was covered partially, but nothing else was.

Red flags abound here. Suggest you find out from your health plan (might be available online, might need to call them) exactly why the procedure(s) weren't covered - if e.g. the doctor required pre-authorization before performing the procedure, that's their fuckup and they should pay for it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nothing unusually bad happened today, but it dawned on me as Im waving goodbye to my son and watching his train roll out, that this is like the millionth time I have stood here in this situation for the last three years: broke, no job, will probably be evicted, in poor physical AND mental health. Time to start collecting empties again and hope I manage to scrounge up the money to see my kid next week too. Oh and also rent, electricity, food, all the luxuries. Holy gently caress I'm so tired.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

thepopmonster posted:

Red flags abound here. Suggest you find out from your health plan (might be available online, might need to call them) exactly why the procedure(s) weren't covered - if e.g. the doctor required pre-authorization before performing the procedure, that's their fuckup and they should pay for it.

The doctor was out of network. That part is my fault in hindsight; I didn't have a profile on my insurance website set up because I am an idiot. I had called about 6 clinics to try and get an appointment asap, as the growth on my back was bleeding if I touched it, and it was my fuckup for not verifying they were in network; the receptionist said they took my insurance, which I understood meant coverage. The lack of pricing when I went in, that might be on both me and the clinic, but the rest, I hosed up.

Getting paper bills now, that is worrying and pissing me off because I paid this poo poo back around Christmas, so even with the holidays, why am I getting paper bills mailed in? Does it really take two loving weeks for this poo poo to clear?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Biplane posted:

Nothing unusually bad happened today, but it dawned on me as Im waving goodbye to my son and watching his train roll out, that this is like the millionth time I have stood here in this situation for the last three years: broke, no job, will probably be evicted, in poor physical AND mental health. Time to start collecting empties again and hope I manage to scrounge up the money to see my kid next week too. Oh and also rent, electricity, food, all the luxuries. Holy gently caress I'm so tired.
have you used the goonfund before? it could probably help you out at least for the moment.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

have you used the goonfund before? it could probably help you out at least for the moment.

I think it got shut down. Last time I checked, several months ago (when I was in the same situation, having had the same realization :haw: ) it was shut down for scamming or thread drama idk.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
There's a new one. The old one got slapped because the person running it refused to do the absolute bare minimum of transparency and got very mad that "it just is because I said so" wasn't making the question askers gently caress off.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Biplane posted:

I think it got shut down. Last time I checked, several months ago (when I was in the same situation, having had the same realization :haw: ) it was shut down for scamming or thread drama idk.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014910

it's technically USA-only but that's only for recieving automatic donations. they've got a process for non-US goons, and plenty of non-US goons have used it.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Laptop decided to play dead. Was fine when I left to run errands, but when I came home, all I get is a black screen and no response. I'm using my old one that overheats all the time while I try to find out how to fix it. Something updated and killed it, maybe?

Hope it's fixable, cuz I spent all my money getting new eyeglasses (line-free bifocals are EXPENSIVE), and can't afford either a new laptop or a professional fixer. :(

ETA: If manufacturers are going to make "remove the battery and put it back in" the way to fix a computer, they should make it easy to get to and easy to remove, rather than 5 HIDDEN screws, 2 visible screws, and then 4 more tiny screws once you pry the cover off with a plastic thingy while it makes cracking noises. And the person who did the upgrades before I bought it used that nifty blue tape on the screws, so I needed pliers to turn the screwdriver the first full turn on each tiny screw.

So it damned-well better stay fixed for at least two years, now, is what I'm saying.

GoodyTwoShoes has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Jan 29, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
got the covid booster and flu shot I'd been putting off, went to bed, woke up 3 hours later feeling like I got hit by a train.

hopefully it passes by tomorrow, the other covid shots laid me out but not this bad. can't get back to sleep either, just woke up and immediately was like "yep, I'm not doing anything today"

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Moved to a new place about a week ago. Went to go pick up a car rental because my car isn't supposed to be here for another week or so. Picked up the rental, took it out on to the icy roads to go home, got about 60% of the way home, slid into a snowbank (icebank?) hard enough that I cracked the front bumper. :sigh:

I've got good insurance and I'm safe but man I'm frustrated

Edit: now the roads around my apartment aren't being plowed on time and the piece of poo poo car can't get me up the itty-bitty hill outside my complex :mad:

Pomme de Terror has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Feb 9, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
woke up in my neighbor's bed. Sometimes we sleep together. Don't remember how I got there. I went to use the restroom and saw my face in the mirror.

"What the gently caress?"
"What?"
"What's with my face?"
"What do you mean what's with your face?"
"What happened? gently caress, why is my finger like that? Why is my arm covered in bruises?"
"I found you on my porch. You had been there all night. You were white and blue when I found you. It took forever to get you into my apartment and into bed. I have been watching over you all day wondering if you were going to die. Every time I tried to call for help you insisted I don't."
"I have no memory of any of this!"

Went to the urgent care. No drugs or alcohol found in me that would have caused this. Did not go hypothermic but came close, probably. Lots of bruising all over, and my face is real hosed up. No concussion. It is a mystery!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Found a wonderful 2009 rav4 for sale, looked great, new wheels, wonderful interior, one small crack in the bumper(clearly from some shithead nicking it lightly in a parking lot), clean title, single owner, underside looked okay at a glance and the salesman said specifically "the underside is in excellent condition". Went out to test drive it, felt nice and responsive on the roads so we reserved it. was real excited to get the ball rolling on replacing my disintegrating 2006 car.

Called the service shop that worked on it for years for the prior owner and they were essentially like "for the love of christ do not buy that car, the underside is completely rotted out, we outright refused to put it on the lift anymore for fear of it just collapsing on top of the drat thing." Gonna kill the check via the bank and tell the salesman the deal's off. Man what a bummer and waste of time.

No such thing as getting lucky when buying a used car. Guess I'll have to go for a newer model.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

hunting for places to live is bad enough normally. Today I was declined for an apartment that costs $200 less than I'm currently paying and is 1/4 of the drive to work because they did a "tenant screening" and my credit history shows me defaulting on a couple cards during the worst of the pandemic. This is going to loving suck.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

It won't stop snowing.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Detheros posted:

It won't stop snowing.

My dog has pretty major surgery today across state lines and I spent over six hours in traffic because of the snow.

It's a 20 minute drive and yet once it gets cold people in this town lose their loving minds.
So many assholes in their lifted trucks screaming up the road in the wrong direction because god forbid they engage with the situation like the rest of us.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I think I might have a small kidney stone. Weird pains in my lower abdomen since Wednesday, and starting today I've occasionally felt like I was about to pee while just sitting at my desk, and had to do that clenchy maneuver to stop myself.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol, car couldn't die in my driveway, no, it had to die a couple miles from work, and AAA literally has a message saying "we will get you help as soon as possible" and then hangs up. And nobody I know is home, responding to calls, or anything.

Well it didn't die, the engine runs, everything works(including the heat thankfully), but it suddenly stopped responding to stepping on the accelerator at all while I was turning onto the road where I go to work. I was able to coast it into a parking lot, but now I'm stranded. And work won't even bother to send someone out to get me, they were just like "OK we'll mark you down as absent then". This rules

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I'm alone on a Saturday night again thinking that everyone secretly hates me or at least doesn't particularly care about me. Maybe I should just give up and learn how to get used to this.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Don't know if it helps but your username made me chuckle, at least.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Detheros posted:

It won't stop snowing.

My back hurts like gently caress thanks to said snow

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Had an extremely long and convoluted nightmare about being trapped in a reality show thing where we were forced to kill zombies in an arena over and over until we all died. Sean Bean was there. Eventually four of us, out of a group of 20, managed to bust out of there only to find ourselves in a large hotel for round two, but the hotel was actually a palace overlooking a really weird "Hyde Park" in London. So Sean Bean, some guy, me and my girlfriend are clambering over rooftops to escape this shitshow and get into this park at ground level where Sean Bean has an uber waiting for us. Then there's like a movie timeskip to weeks later where my "character", who is apparently a catburglar, gets tricked into breaking into what turns out to be the zombie hotel for round two, at which point I wake up extremely rattled and shook. This is notable to me as I almost never have nightmares, and not this long and hosed up; It was all very detailed and coherent, and I remember it all, and I have been unable to get back to sleep for hours now. gently caress you brain!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Biplane posted:

Had an extremely long and convoluted nightmare about being trapped in a reality show thing where we were forced to kill zombies in an arena over and over until we all died. Sean Bean was there. Eventually four of us, out of a group of 20, managed to bust out of there only to find ourselves in a large hotel for round two, but the hotel was actually a palace overlooking a really weird "Hyde Park" in London. So Sean Bean, some guy, me and my girlfriend are clambering over rooftops to escape this shitshow and get into this park at ground level where Sean Bean has an uber waiting for us. Then there's like a movie timeskip to weeks later where my "character", who is apparently a catburglar, gets tricked into breaking into what turns out to be the zombie hotel for round two, at which point I wake up extremely rattled and shook. This is notable to me as I almost never have nightmares, and not this long and hosed up; It was all very detailed and coherent, and I remember it all, and I have been unable to get back to sleep for hours now. gently caress you brain!

You met Sean Bean? Cool!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Had to fire a guy today in a Bad spot. It sucked.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
My engine light came on, and even if its a "cheap" repair its still more than I can afford right now.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Found out one of my work friends is getting laid off tomorrow. I can't tell him, and I have to be the one to walk him out the door tomorrow because neither his boss nor HR can be bothered to show up to do it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol gently caress that I'd refuse to do it, make them show up to do it

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
It is actually illegal to be given a second dose of the bivalent covid vaccine, as I learned after filling out all the forms, making an appointment, and waiting in line at the pharmacy.

Oh, and my friend/driver is mad at me because I told her the Power of Positive Thinking does absolutely squat against germs. How dare I suggest I should prepare for when I catch covid again! Surely, having it four times already means I'm proof against a fifth bout.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Captain Invictus posted:

lol gently caress that I'd refuse to do it, make them show up to do it

That would have been a great way to get myself laid off as well.
He ended up taking the "you're fired" meeting with HR from home and telling them he'd FedEx their stuff back, so I didn't have to walk him out after all. It still ruined my entire week - I've worked with him for close to two decades now and consider him a good friend - but at least I didn't have to actually hold the executioner's axe.

Azathoth Prime has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Mar 3, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That is levels of screwed up I wasn't aware existed, I thought security/HR always had to escort people out.

My friend and I finally have some time to do our online rpg, which is pretty rare with our work schedules, and not even 10 minutes in and she's making decisions for my characters, despite me asking her what she's doing, her response is that she just assumed it was fine. No dear, when I tell you my character is doing a b and c, that is not a cue for your character to be doing a b and c instead of mine on the same drat enemy. It's already her setup, it's frustrating when she makes decisions about characters that aren't hers to play.

With actual real problems, is there anything more demoralizing than generic rejection emails for employment? Other than maybe doing the real Zoom interview and getting the email after?

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 03:56 on Mar 4, 2023

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

With actual real problems, is there anything more demoralizing than generic rejection emails for employment? Other than maybe doing the real Zoom interview and getting the email after?

I got one of those a few weeks ago after an interview that went well. The email came through right as I had started walking by a lake. That took the wind out of my sails so I quickly finished my lap and went home to start looking at some more things to apply to.

Got an interview first thing tomorrow morning for a place that seems like it'd work pretty well for me. I also caught the cold that someone else in my house has had for a week so hopefully I'm not completely destroyed in the morning.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I am just desperately unhappy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
welcum ta erf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Fridge/freezer is slowly dying and the apartment's office/maintenance hasn't gotten back to me yet, so now I'm gonna have to replace all our perishables
and I was *just* talking the other day about how nice it was to have a full fridge and freezer again :sigh: