Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for January 13, 1927! This week we're drawing cars, with a John Held cover!

Bruce Bairnsfather:

Nate Collier:

Albert Levering & P.R.:

LJ Holton:

GB Dawood:

GM Richards:

And one of the ones I left out last week, reprinted without a signature from the German satire magazine Lustige Blätter:

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

[sighs] Contrived Santaman Stuff, I Guess.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
b]Heathcliff[/b]

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 12, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

I hate this so much. Simultaneously the most frustrating way things could have played out while also being the most predictable.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

I think the funniest little detail here is that this movie would be airing at 6:45 PM on one of our national channels.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"I am suing the mothergently caress out of them, so I must quit, because soon they will no longer exist."
Also gently caress all the way off, Helen.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Nostalgamus posted:

This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite comics in the thread.

Man, I gotta say, if you'd told me last year Selachian would go ahead and post three new comics instead of just one, I would not have guessed that Pogo would be the least popular of the bunch by far. Which says a lot more about the other two than it does anything about the quality of Pogo.

Immediately guessed the coffee, but completely failed to notice that it was iced, not hot. And that's why I'm no good at the spot the difference puzzles!

EasyEW posted:

Once again, the Sunday Popeye goes full Ham.

On one end, I still dislike this comic's black-and-white morality. On the other end, drat, that is a fantastic cartoony punchline.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

I think the funniest little detail here is that this movie would be airing at 6:45 PM on one of our national channels.

Somehow Fingerpori is able to make the punchline be 'gay sex' and yet it isn't bigoted.

I reckon it's due to Tom.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Smiling Knight posted:

I wonder whether this whole trip back from the Mediterranean via the Dnieper was inspired by the novel The Long Ships (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Ships#Adaptations). The timing is right for Foster to have read it, I believe that the book was pretty popular, and it contains a very similar section where the Viking protagonists have to portage their ships while dealing with Pecheneg harassment.

I apologize for always responding to things days after they're posted! I don't know the answer to this question but thanks for bringing this book up. I read it in college (in translation) and loved it. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes historical fiction, or even if you're a fantasy fan or something. Basically if you like Prince Valiant and are looking for a ~480 page book to occupy your time it's a good choice.

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 17, 1955)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

riderchop posted:

Officer Friendly Says No Fuckin' Allowed

Some Guy TT posted:

Man, I gotta say, if you'd told me last year Selachian would go ahead and post three new comics instead of just one, I would not have guessed that Pogo would be the least popular of the bunch by far. Which says a lot more about the other two than it does anything about the quality of Pogo.
For the record I'm deeply enjoying Pogo because I grew up reading my grandfather's old mutilated Pogo collections, many of which I literally had to assemble from loose pages like some kind of goddamned archaeologist, and now I'm seeing early stages of its existence I'd never before known existed.
This is also why I'm not one of the people asking what the gently caress is up with the swamp dialect - I was learning it around the time I was still trying to understand how english worked in general :v:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I slid off Pogo the last time it was posted because the scans were kind of crappy, but for whatever reason I’m digging it now. I hope it sticks around this time.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Check out all that detail in the toys on the bed

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks tests what it can put on the newspaper page this week.

Retail

Popcom

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Snowi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/15/03

Brenda Starr 3/20-22/50

Smokey Stover 5/18/52 (messed up my records and got the dates wrong on the last couple of days)

Everyday Movies 1/2/36

"David and I just have to attend these affairs occasionally or we'd become mentally stagnant."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/25-27/40

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The writer of this strip has to be one of the most sour and unlikeable Boomers you could imagine.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The writer of this strip has to be one of the most sour and unlikeable Boomers you could imagine.

Have you seen his work in the Politoons thread?

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 16, 2023

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Stultus Maximus posted:

Have you seen his work in the Politoons thread?

Yup.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

International Fetish Day is real. (I should find something purple to wear this Friday.)

On another topic, while quoting this I noticed that your filenames are all "Screen-Shot-xxxx", so I'm guessing you're doing screenshots because GoComics blocks right-click save-image-as. Public service announcement for anyone doing the same thing: that's really easy to get around. Install a browser add-on called Stylus (Firefox, Chrome), which lets you make changes to the way your browser renders various sites. In this case, you can use it to turn off the silly right-click block. In the settings for the Stylus add-on, create a new style, name it something like "GoComics right-click" (or anything that strikes your fancy), and paste in these lines in the big code window:

code:
.item-comic-link-disabled, .js-item-comic-link, .item-comic-image {
    pointer-events: auto !important;
    cursor: default !important;
}
You are now free to right-click and download all the comic images you like.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Check out all that detail in the toys on the bed

"I've had enough of this bullshit and I'm going to bed at 5:30 in the afternoon!" is sure a solution to a problem I've never considered but will in the future.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Afternoon/early evening nap until the child goes to sleep is a pro move.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Smiling Knight posted:

I wonder whether this whole trip back from the Mediterranean via the Dnieper was inspired by the novel The Long Ships (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Ships#Adaptations). The timing is right for Foster to have read it, I believe that the book was pretty popular, and it contains a very similar section where the Viking protagonists have to portage their ships while dealing with Pecheneg harassment.

It's also something that they really did. There's one scene in the show Vikings where they lift longships up a cliff that seems completely fictional but is based on historical events.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Boat building is hard, manual labour was cheap. The shape of the boats made them pretty ideal for it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I know the answer is "comedy" but why is Zits determined to make me hate the teenagers.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're very blasé about their vehicle being destroyed without having a suitable replacement ready.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The War-Lords of Phoenix

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

goatface posted:

They're very blasé about their vehicle being destroyed without having a suitable replacement ready.

iirc the storyline kicks off with the dad getting ready to buy a new car and offering the old car to jeremy on condition of the van being sold to make room

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Make Me A Happy Woman And Please Go Die In The Snow

Moral of the story: I guess the bees are Jewish.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 4, 1935)

Peanuts (January 19, 1976)

It's taken two weeks since we started paying attention, but Miss Peach has actually shown up in Miss Peach (July 3, 1989)

Oh, HERE We Go...

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 17, 1939)

Out Our Way (October 31-November 2, 1940)

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The War-Lords of Phoenix

I love that Willy is telling the guard a dirty joke

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So how many thousands will that forgotten first edition be worth? Tens? Hundreds? Enough to fund the Funky Nepotism Book Prize, awarded to the cancerchild so she can write her universally important small town history?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

goatface posted:

So how many thousands will that forgotten first edition be worth? Tens? Hundreds? Enough to fund the Funky Nepotism Book Prize, awarded to the cancerchild so she can write her universally important small town history?

The resulting struggle to obtain this legendary comic book will ultimately result in The Burnings.