Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
My wife bought me an Ooni and I got to use it tonight for the first time and I'm super thrilled. I made my dough last night and made 4 pizzas tonight. Each member of my family got to top theirs and despite some questionable choices they all turned out amazing. I had to use wood rather than propane but it came up to 800 degrees in about 20 minutes. I gave the stone another 30 minutes to come up to heat then threw the first one in. Took maybe 2 minutes to get a perfect char on the crust bubbles and beautiful spotted bottom. It was fun playing an active role in the baking, moving the pies around and managing the heat. Thanks to whomever posted the sopressatta/hot pepper/hot honey recipe. I chose that for mine and it was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

If you live near a Costco business center this is the best/cheapest cheese I've used on pizza (and I've used a LOT of different, mostly bad, ones):

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

forbidden dialectics posted:

If you live near a Costco business center this is the best/cheapest cheese I've used on pizza (and I've used a LOT of different, mostly bad, ones):

Oh, that's the stuff that's left over after you use the juice. What are you meant to do with it?

But yeah around here I don't think I've ever seen mozarella that doesn't come in a little baggie complete with all the cheese juice, unless it's the pre-shredded stuff.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

That’s low moisture mozzarella in the photo. It doesn’t have the juice. It’s similar to the shredded stuff except better because it’s whole milk, and doesn’t have cornstarch or whatever it is the shredded stuff uses to prevent clumping. You can usually get it at a deli, sliced to order or in a chunk.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
WHAT ABOUT THE JUICE?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

WHAT ABOUT THE JUICE?

It’s in the vending machine in little cartons to quench your Italian thirst.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

The Muffaletta: tomato base with Salami, mortadella, half Mozz half swiss and olive salad. This is going into the regular rotation for sure.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Anyone have a good tavern pie recipe they’d recommend? My kid is all in on the thin crispy crust right now.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Got ya https://thetakeout.com/homemade-chicago-style-thin-crust-tavern-pizza-a-love-1844549899

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

hello i made my first pizza ever and wanted to tell people about it

Basic Detroit deal. At the risk of being controversial, it has pepperoni on it. Went with mozz + jack, as I couldn't get my hands on brick cheese. Someone, perhaps myself, snagged a pep before the photo.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Looks like a tasty one. And yeah, snagging a pepperoni is just a typical excise fee.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

This should be good. The only difference from what my standard tavern style is I use double the corn flour (reducing the wheat flour) and use corn oil instead of olive oil. Olive oil is expensive and gotta cut those corners for the people 6 cans of Hamm's and 3 shots of Malort in. Also the kid won't know the difference either. Fennel in the sausage is the best, and anyone that doesn't put it in their sausage (Lou Malnati's) isn't worth the crust it's on.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I gotta say I made a deep dish pie with brick cheese once and I hated it. It also gave me crazy gas.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Thank you. I don’t have a food processor - could I chunk everything in a mixer with dough hook and get an okay result? I guess that’s the siren song of experimentation or buying new gadgets singing to me.

The hardest thing about pizza is preheating an oven for an hour+ for a ~10 min cook time.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yes. Add oil at the end imo

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Wolfy posted:

hello i made my first pizza ever and wanted to tell people about it

Basic Detroit deal. At the risk of being controversial, it has pepperoni on it. Went with mozz + jack, as I couldn't get my hands on brick cheese. Someone, perhaps myself, snagged a pep before the photo.

That looks fantastic. Detroit style has a big following amongst my friends.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

thats why you always throw an excessive, possibly hedonistic amount of pepperonis on there. you and anyone walking by is gonna snag a mfer

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Or under the cheese as detroit intended

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I got the idea that I could put my baking steel on a weber kettle grill and I do have a 6" high steel ring that goes around the lip of the kettle to hold a rotisserie and it has a window that can be used to get at the interior. I also have a raised grate on stands and so can put a pizza stone about 6" above the steel and make a little ad-hock pizza oven. Mostly this was because my oven is broken but also because hey, really hot pizza oven!

The interior got really hot with a full chimney of charcoal, around 700F air temp next to the pizza stone on the upper rack (so the air trapped between the steel and the stone was at least that hot if not hotter). I don't know how hot the pizza steel was but uh, it charred the bottom of the crust instantly, what seemed like a few seconds after sliding it on.

I'm pretty sure I didn't just make this technique up and have seen it somewhere on the interweb before.

Any pointers other than the obvious, "Use less charcoal and maybe don't put it directly under the steel next time"? Would the stone on the bottom and steel on the top be a better configuration and less likely to char the crust?

I ended up cooking pizzas on the stone on the top rack with some success but I had to pull the lid on and off to get to it which was sub-optimal.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Murgos posted:

I got the idea that I could put my baking steel on a weber kettle grill and I do have a 6" high steel ring that goes around the lip of the kettle to hold a rotisserie and it has a window that can be used to get at the interior. I also have a raised grate on stands and so can put a pizza stone about 6" above the steel and make a little ad-hock pizza oven. Mostly this was because my oven is broken but also because hey, really hot pizza oven!

The interior got really hot with a full chimney of charcoal, around 700F air temp next to the pizza stone on the upper rack (so the air trapped between the steel and the stone was at least that hot if not hotter). I don't know how hot the pizza steel was but uh, it charred the bottom of the crust instantly, what seemed like a few seconds after sliding it on.

I'm pretty sure I didn't just make this technique up and have seen it somewhere on the interweb before.

Any pointers other than the obvious, "Use less charcoal and maybe don't put it directly under the steel next time"? Would the stone on the bottom and steel on the top be a better configuration and less likely to char the crust?

I ended up cooking pizzas on the stone on the top rack with some success but I had to pull the lid on and off to get to it which was sub-optimal.

Copy the pizzacue setup!
Get some of these
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-14-in-L-x-5-in-W-x-3-in-H-Aluminum-Charcoal-Basket/3031352
They work great, and make it really hard to over fill your grill (still possible though!)
You obviously don't have a ton of control over the heat once it gets going, so maybe cut down on anything in the dough that might cause it to burn, sugar, olive oil?
You could prop the lid on one end too, if you are handy you can make something out of steel to hold the lid up.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 20, 2023

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pizzas on the webber really really suck. You have to use your (hopefully metal) peel to dome it instantly. The steel gets to IR thermometers can't read with no effort. I have the things linked above so you have a heat source similar to a real pizza oven and it still just sucks.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Pizzas on the webber really really suck. You have to use your (hopefully metal) peel to dome it instantly. The steel gets to IR thermometers can't read with no effort. I have the things linked above so you have a heat source similar to a real pizza oven and it still just sucks.

I got a pizzaque for like 20 bux on clearance, and it worked OK, but it was a lot of effort, and the loving thing cracks stones at the slightest hint of moisture. Honestly, steel in the oven, or a dedicated oven like an Ooni is the way to do it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Pizza emergency: I'm meant to be making pizzas for a bunch of people this afternoon. When I got my Ooni 12 out I discovered that the pizza stone had cracked down the middle. I'm going to try and find an equivalent sized stone available locally, but if not is there anything I can get from a generic hardware/building store (Leroy Merlin, I'm in France) that would work instead?

The two pieces fit together fairly well but they don't sit quite level, it might work but I think there's a high chance the pizza will catch and turn into a big burnt mess

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ended up just going for it with the cracked stone. Tried to wedge them up so that there was minimal height difference between the two halves, and made the pizza bases a little thicker than normal. Ended up going fine! Could tell that the bases were two thick but better than splitting one of them and having a bunch of burnt stuff on the stone

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
It sounds like you figured it out, but you can use unglazed quarry tiles from the hardware store to piece together a pizza stone. Around here a whole case of them is like 30 bucks.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Regarding Weber pizza: Just based on what other people were saying, it sounded like it needed something refractory to smooth out the heat hitting the steel. What about lava rocks or some ceramics (see just mentioned unglazed quarry tiles, or straight up firebrick)? I don't know how much room you have.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You're just hosed regardless. If you can get the top/dome to the needed temp your bottom is lava.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
man I gotta say I just now figured out this week that you can just cook the whole pizza on the steel on the parchment paper and never even remove the paper and it's just totally fine?? I had been removing the paper halfway through to let the pizza contact the steel directly

for some reason I thought it would like trap moisture and prevent it from browning or something but I would say it was actually more brown because I didn't have to cake flour on there in case it stuck to the peel and leaving it on the paper didn't affect it at all

I am never not using parchment paper again, gently caress trying to figure out the exact right amount of flour, dunno why I ever bothered sliding pizzas in directly at all haha

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
My pizza is finally out of beta:

Dough: Modernist At Home Rustic pizza dough, except using Instant Sourdough packet instead of regular yeast.

Sauce: Modernist At Home Pizza sauce, except: Use Cento all purpose crushed tomatoes, 100g garlic instead of 50, 1 tsp Asian fish sauce, 2 tbsp dehydrated onion, and 5 minutes under pressure instead of 45.

Cheese: 50% TJ's low moisture whole milk Mozz, 50% Tillamook extra sharp white Cheddar

Toppings: peppered salami and garlic

Preheat pizza steel for 1 hr @ 500°, then switch to broil without warmup and cook 4m30s

6 months ago I thought I would have mastered the steel & peel by now. Now I am grateful to have version 1.0

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Nice mini-Pide!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

ogopogo posted:

Yukon Pizza is our name, and we’re open currently at a shared kitchen space in Las Vegas while our brick and mortar is under construction - fingers crossed we open end of October :)
Always happy to feed goons! I’ve had one goon who was visiting Vegas come and play a DJ set in front of my oven while we made pizzas.
Rolled by there last night with a buddy for the first time, we tried the "Grandpa White" and the "You Had Me At Garlic" pizzas. We both agreed that y'all at Yukon are making some of the best pies in town. The toppings were outstanding, and the sourdough is firm enough to hold structure while still having a nice chewy texture. Absolutely outstanding!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Bentai posted:

Rolled by there last night with a buddy for the first time, we tried the "Grandpa White" and the "You Had Me At Garlic" pizzas. We both agreed that y'all at Yukon are making some of the best pies in town. The toppings were outstanding, and the sourdough is firm enough to hold structure while still having a nice chewy texture. Absolutely outstanding!
[
Thank you my dude! I think I remember you two, haha! We’re stoked to be there, we’re only 7 weeks in so still some growing pains being in the new space but happy with what we’ve done so far. Hope y’all swing back by again, the kitchen has some tasty rear end food going on too.

Confit chicken wings

Chicken Sando

Pesto Garlic Slice

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 30, 2023

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
So no stone, or pizza oven but came out alright. Buffalo mozz, roast pepper sauce, local cheddar and red onion.

I'll post some better ones when I get a real pizza oven, hopefully.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 31, 2023

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Has anyone used Truff Hotsauce or the Truff Pizza Sauce in their Pizza's yet? Costco just started selling Truff. For those who don't know Truff is a black and white truffle infused hotsauce, salt and pepper, pizza sauce and oil. They make tons of products. I'm curious if anyone has tried it in baking a Pizza.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

shankerz posted:

Has anyone used Truff Hotsauce or the Truff Pizza Sauce in their Pizza's yet? Costco just started selling Truff. For those who don't know Truff is a black and white truffle infused hotsauce, salt and pepper, pizza sauce and oil. They make tons of products. I'm curious if anyone has tried it in baking a Pizza.

I bought a tiny bottle of black for a few bucks and I think it tastes like farts.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it's pretty sweet for a sauce. I don't hate it, but I also don't really ever eat truffles.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That’s okay, because it doesn’t really taste like good truffles anyway. If you want to add truffles to pizza, buy some and shave them finely. That hot sauce isn’t very good either.

Better yet, put some good mushrooms on the pizza. You get more mileage out of the money spent.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm not a fan of sugary hot sauces like that to begin with, but I've specifically bought a sugary black truffle infused hot sauce (not Truff, but similar ingredient list..which I wish I had read before buying) and never found a good use for it. I think truffles have their place, but they're a bit of a fad in terms of how they're being added to/infused in seemingly everything these days.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I hadn't made pizza at home in a long rear end time, and I had the apartment to myself for the evening so I whipped up a pie...as one does.

While eating, I came to the conclusion that I put too much fresh chopped garlic on it and could probably do less or none at all. I also managed to get a can of Bianco whole peeled tomatoes and drat were they freakin' amazing, what a difference they make.

I also came to the realization that I need to just start making dough myself :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

My buddy's been getting into making pretzels at the same time that I've started making pizzas, so naturally we decided to combine our powers.

Really good, though his pretzel dough is a lot drier than I'm used to for pizza so it was hard to stretch and get a nice thin bottom. Need to up the hydration next time.