Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

Some story details and how they play into gameplay. You lose Divine Pulse and your engages in ch10. That's a ballsy decision if nothing else. As well some story details, but they pushed on and revealed they are going the boring route with them, Veyle is evil but shocker she's being controlled.

i dont think a random white haired girl being actually evil would be much of a twist in a fire emblem game anyway tbh. like whats the twist with veyle if she was actually evil. shes barely been in marketing material and shes just some girl that pops up once.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

i dont think a random white haired girl being actually evil would be much of a twist in a fire emblem game anyway tbh

It just would've been fun to have the commit especially since they are just p2 Alear.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Eimi posted:

Some story details and how they play into gameplay. You lose Divine Pulse and your engages in ch10. That's a ballsy decision if nothing else. As well some story details, but they pushed on and revealed they are going the boring route with them, Veyle is evil but shocker she's being controlled.

ah yeah losing the time crystal is an impressive move. from what the leaker said veyle has a split personality or something? which is still boring but it's probably going to parallel alear

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We need to return to tradition and have the white-haired girl do evil things because of really dumb plot points involving a contract and really weak justifications as to why no one contacts Team Good Guy about it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Funky Valentine posted:

The Three Houses engage is just Edie, Dmitri, and Claude endlessly arguing about whose fault everything is.

3lords1ring

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

We need to return to tradition and have the white-haired girl do evil things because of really dumb plot points involving a contract and really weak justifications as to why no one contacts Team Good Guy about it.

That started with a white haired boy tbh

E: Wait, did Lyon have purple hair or white hair? Still fits though. And you could probably go even further back honestly.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 16, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Funky Valentine posted:

The Three Houses engage is just Edie, Dmitri, and Claude endlessly arguing about whose fault everything is.

It's Edelgard and Dimitri arguing while Claude stands off to the side looking uncomfortable.

Unless it's the Three Hopes versions, where it's Edelgard and Dimitri arguing while Claude keeps trying to find a moment where both of their backs are turned to knife one of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That started with a white haired boy tbh

E: Wait, did Lyon have purple hair or white hair? Still fits though. And you could probably go even further back honestly.
idoun did evil things because of a really vaguely defined plot point that they never elaborate on at any point because it has uncomfortable implications

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ah, time to quit reading this thread until release, I see.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its okay that one was spoilers for fe8 and fe6 actually

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Endorph posted:

its okay that one was spoilers for fe8 and fe6 actually

Lol I see now.

Anyway I have to finish ai nirvana before Friday... I think I'm close to the end but I gotta make time for it.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

I'm excited for Engage mostly mechanically as an opportunity to reignite my love of the series. I found 3H to be a sublime aesthetic, and I'll freely admit that I'm not very good at these games so it's comparatively lower difficulty catered to me immensely. I still play Hard/Classic but it's been frustrating and I straight up can't even manage the hard difficulties in Shadow Dragon, where I'm currently sucking at Ch.13 The Wooden Cavalry in normal. It sucks because most of the advice I see for getting better at FE amounts to "check ranges" or "do the math yourself" as if the series hasn't had both of those things automated for the player for ages. It very much feels like "git gud" kind of advice which is... Not helpful.

It's weird to me because I ate the GBA titles without ever feeling super stressed by them but I'm struggling to fire up Awakening again because the difficulty feels very front loaded and I don't have the same time to waste on it as I had, so my finished save mocks me from the top of the list. Maybe this is a personal problem with analysis paralysis and poo poo, but I really hope Engage keeps up the accessibility that 3H offered because I definitely put it at the top of my FE experiences.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

For Awakening, how much were you abusing Pair Up and Fred? Both of them are extremely strong crutches, but if you just played say a GBA title, they feel weird and awkward to use, "Why would I want to remove half my army?" and all that. Robin and Chrom work fantastically together and along with Fred softening up targets should be enough to start to get you on top of the exp curve.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my biggest advice to get better at fe is to just abuse things. like in awakening, just abuse freddie. dont try to metagame exp or anything just abuse freddie and let the other people get kills when they can. in shadow dragon abuse reclassing and the wing spear and such, also how you get promotion items relatively early. people generally make fe games harder for themselves by assuming obviously good things have some kind of catch but they pretty much never do.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Eh, I did the dumb thing and benched Fred for as much as I could and managed to get to Ch. 6 before I needed him to do the tanking that my lovely Kellam couldn't. Stahl has been a growth superstar this time and is like 14 str and def both at level 10, while sully outlevels him and kinda sucks this time. I'm also bummed out because the supports seem to be going super fast and I don't really feel having my Robin pair with Miriel but they're A Rank and do hilariously murder things. Sumia has been ferrying Chrom around for similar reasons as she makes him double everything but mostly I'm just so out of practice on Pair Up that I always feel like having 4 bodies used in a turn to get rid of one enemy unit is a terrible trade. I'll find my footing again, but I haven't done any grind and may table this run on account of everyone else's growths going like hot garbage. I'm excited that Engage will have Divine Pulse/Turnwheel again, so one bad move doesn't cost twenty minutes of time doing the beginning of maps over, or worse, cost you good level up rolls when they happen.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Endorph posted:

also game's out in the wild, there's a leaks thread on serenes's forum if you're curious. would request people don't post major plot/gameplay spoilers here, but if youre curious on map design/difficulty: there's a defense map, an escape map, and a map where a playable unit is an npc in danger that rescuing is an optional side objective.

the game also definitely seems like it has some teeth, the escape map features multiple enemies with emblems and monsters chasing you even on normal, and an enemy with a 10 range staff that inflicts break. (wonder if freeze/entrap make a return on maddening)

Glad to hear that there are more varied victory conditions this time around (untagged 'cos I don't think this is much of a spoiler). I didn't like that 3H mostly just had "defeat boss" maps, I know they kinda had to do that so getting through multiple routes doesn't become a slog but still.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blizzardvizard posted:

Glad to hear that there are more varied victory conditions this time around (untagged 'cos I don't think this is much of a spoiler). I didn't like that 3H mostly just had "defeat boss" maps, I know they kinda had to do that so getting through multiple routes doesn't become a slog but still.

tbh they made the sylvain's brother tower map so multiple routes was kind of a slog regardless

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Syrnn posted:

I'm excited for Engage mostly mechanically as an opportunity to reignite my love of the series. I found 3H to be a sublime aesthetic, and I'll freely admit that I'm not very good at these games so it's comparatively lower difficulty catered to me immensely. I still play Hard/Classic but it's been frustrating and I straight up can't even manage the hard difficulties in Shadow Dragon, where I'm currently sucking at Ch.13 The Wooden Cavalry in normal. It sucks because most of the advice I see for getting better at FE amounts to "check ranges" or "do the math yourself" as if the series hasn't had both of those things automated for the player for ages. It very much feels like "git gud" kind of advice which is... Not helpful.

It's weird to me because I ate the GBA titles without ever feeling super stressed by them but I'm struggling to fire up Awakening again because the difficulty feels very front loaded and I don't have the same time to waste on it as I had, so my finished save mocks me from the top of the list. Maybe this is a personal problem with analysis paralysis and poo poo, but I really hope Engage keeps up the accessibility that 3H offered because I definitely put it at the top of my FE experiences.

FYI, you shouldn’t feel bad about that Shadow Dragon map, like it’s entirely beatable but it’s still generally agreed to be a huge difficulty spike because its nearly 1:1 with the original game…except for the part where the enemies had 2 range because Ballisticians were just bow armor knights and not mobile turrets.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i just cheese that map by making my highest defense unit an armorknight/general and slowly tanking every ballista

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

https://twitter.com/FE_Heroes_EN/status/1614819859145138176?t=2YSK12Hr9p_tYNh_fh8mGw&s=19

I know nothing of FEH but posted this just to go 'holy moley' at that Chloé quote

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

RuBisCO posted:

I know nothing of FEH but posted this just to go 'holy moley' at that Chloé quote

drat, the meme girl is the pegasus knight this time? I'm down

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Syrnn posted:

So the main thing with "check ranges" and "do the math yourself" is that you need to do them when the game doesn't tell you that answer. Stuff like showing all enemy ranges is super useful, but you still want to double check some things. For instance, some tiles on the very edge of the total threat range might be in range of multiple melee enemies and even more ranged ones. Similarly there are lots of times where enemies in range of your units on enemy phase are too far away for you to check the combat preview and that's when it is helpful to do the math yourself. You don't always need to check every single modifier, but just a basic enemy attack - your unit's defense to get a ballpark amount of damage is fine a lot of times unless the damage is close, in which case you can check in more detail.

A lot of getting better at Fire Emblem is just using all the information that is available to you.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I haven't kept up with Heroes' powercreep for some time but

How does Alfred's skill start with "Atk+10, Spd+5, Def+20, Res-5" and it doesn't end there :psyduck:

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

WrightOfWay posted:

A lot of getting better at Fire Emblem is just using all the information that is available to you.

I appreciate this, but it isn't that I don't do these things but that there is little that helps when the math is already against you. Say you've lacked for anyone getting growths in Def, like my current dilemma. No amount of minimizing the amount of enemies in range to attack you or checking the damage ahead of having combat forecasts is going to change that by turn 4 you are taking more damage than two heal staves can possibly bail you out of. I guess this is what I mean by not being very good, but even resolving not to bait more enemies than you can tank doesn't work with every map or even each games AI where, Awakening for current example, can be fairly aggressive vs any kind of turtling.

I'm sorry if this doesn't come out well because I really am happy for the advice, and I hope that Engage is the game to help break the funk because everything looks super tight. I love the idea of specialized characters working in concert vs. an army of sameness blobs, which I know is a big criticism of 3H but I feel like not having the knack for abusing the systems simultaneously holds me back and keeps the dream alive. Why Nintendo doesn't have GBA as one of the emulated systems on switch when they were on the Wii U is still baffling to me, so Lyn secret decoder ring will have to do for now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frederick wyvern lord? kellam? heck if youre in awakening cant you just do a touch of grinding

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

https://twitter.com/FE_Heroes_EN/status/1614819859145138176?t=2YSK12Hr9p_tYNh_fh8mGw&s=19

Chloe :allears:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
chapter 5 of awakening is where the game really starts expecting you to understand that you put a pair of units on a fort and watch them blender an entire army of wyverns while everyone else hovers around scooping up the ground units, and that this is what the rest of the game will be like

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Vulneraries exist, to.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Important Announcement:
Etie.

Thank you for your time.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Archer...with muscles?

Unpossible.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Archer...with muscles?

Unpossible.

Her whole thing is that she loves bodybuilding, if anything it’s weirder she doesn’t have a six pack in Engage.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The flowers/muscle building kingdom

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Last Celebration posted:

Her whole thing is that she loves bodybuilding, if anything it’s weirder she doesn’t have a six pack in Engage.

Her lord has a muscle fetish, which weirdly doesn't come across in his debut lines in FEH

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I never played Heroes, but please tell me there is a catgirl version of Kronya because her name contains NYA.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That would be a fun clothes damage gimmick for Heroes. Some characters are ripped or are covered in scars but you'd never know with those mage robes or what have you covering everything normally.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tae posted:

Her lord has a muscle fetish, which weirdly doesn't come across in his debut lines in FEH

If he doesn't get to interact with Raphael at some point in Heroes it will be very wrong.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Last Celebration posted:

The switch can't handle the amount of extra polygons, sorry.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Important Announcement:
Etie.

Thank you for your time.

Goddamn the characters in this game have great designs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

speaking of, some of the casual wear designs for at base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I like how Vander’s idea of casual wear is a three piece suit with a monocle