Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Inzombiac posted:

I would go nuts for a game in the style of MK11 but as a side scrolling brawler. The technical side of even mid tier fighting games slides right off my mirror-like brain but brawlers are a fun and often forgotten genre.

Streets of Rage 4 is a side-scrolling beat-em-up that has borrowed extensively from fighting game mechanics. It's got ease of execution, but all sorts of stuff like really good wallbounce, juggle and Special Move mechanics. You can do absolutely insane combos, and the DLC is absolutely worth it as it not only has a bunch of new characters, but also an endless fighting mode with power-ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Breetai posted:

Streets of Rage 4 is a side-scrolling beat-em-up that has borrowed extensively from fighting game mechanics. It's got ease of execution, but all sorts of stuff like really good wallbounce, juggle and Special Move mechanics. You can do absolutely insane combos, and the DLC is absolutely worth it as it not only has a bunch of new characters, but also an endless fighting mode with power-ups.

Beat em ups and fighting games go way back, I'm pretty sure.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Necrothatcher posted:

Finally played Resident Evil Revelations and was surprised and delighted to find that capcom put Columbo in the game.

I require more information.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A more abstract one that fits for basically a whole genre, leading to fun little things in every single one: MMOs always have a bow and/or gun-using role. But because it's basically impossible to get more than four moves out of 'I've got a ranged weapon', and MMOs need way more than that, every single one gets weird as poo poo.

You jump into an MMO and see a sword and shield, you know what you're getting. Same with daggers, same with an axe (although the size may change your expectations). Magic staff goes one of two ways depending on if they're a healer, both ways are fairly predictable. But the guy with a bow or a gun? All bets are off, because they can't just be a no-nonsense ranged attacker. That could be a debuffer, a stealth-based assassin, a pet class, a healer somehow, the only limit is how weird the developers got!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Breetai posted:

Echoing this. Streets of Rage 4 is extremely good and shares a lot of its vocabulary with modern fighting games, including frametimes, combos, specials, staggers, juggles, wallbounces, and cancels. Getting good enough to S-Rank Mania+ is a challenging but very achievable progression, and there are some absolute gods out there who can pull off full stage combos on the highest difficulties.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Samovar posted:

I require more information.

https://twitter.com/ResiFacts/status/1388458176362782735?s=20

He also sounds a lot like Peter Falk and eventually goes off to write detective stories instead of fighting monsters.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I liked the dinosaur that does farts in Tekken 3
I always thought that dude was super out of place. I played some Tekken 3 last month and it reminded me again so I used the power of the internet.
It's some manga cameo character :ms:

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Necrothatcher posted:

https://twitter.com/ResiFacts/status/1388458176362782735?s=20

He also sounds a lot like Peter Falk and eventually goes off to write detective stories instead of fighting monsters.

What’s with the weird Columbo resurgence in Japanese games? He’s also in that mobile final fantasy gacha game.

Okay maybe resurgence is overstating it but it’s weird it happened twice.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

What’s with the weird Columbo resurgence in Japanese games? He’s also in that mobile final fantasy gacha game.

japan loving LOVES Columbo, I think they are the only country to get novelizations of the tv movies

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

What's weird about it? Columbo rules

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Long story short, Japan happened to already have a popular home-grown mystery genre where the crime was revealed first and the suspense was all about how the detective solves it, so when Columbo was introduced it fell right into a ready-made cultural niche. It was huge. There were Japanese-only Columbo novels.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Rockman Reserve posted:

japan loving LOVES Columbo, I think they are the only country to get novelizations of the tv movies

So you're saying this decades-old television property is a cultural icon, to the point that it's incorporated into video games? When many gamers weren't even born yet the last time it aired? Interesting, interesting. Well, sorry to take up your time.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Whenever I see Columbo referenced I assume it's a Japanese thing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
nah columbo has also had a resurgence in the US over the past few years

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

So you're saying this decades-old television property is a cultural icon, to the point that it's incorporated into video games? When many gamers weren't even born yet the last time it aired? Interesting, interesting. Well, sorry to take up your time.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The last episode of Columbo aired in 2003.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

RandolphCarter posted:

Yes, and that was 20 years ago. Decades old.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

Yes, and that was 20 years ago. Decades old.

:corsair: but it crumbles into dust like when you die in Baldur’s Gate.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RandolphCarter posted:

I was actually thinking about that because I only randomly learned the other day that its revival went on that long, I always picture the older stuff when I think about it.

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1610434735762718722

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ratoslov posted:

Long story short, Japan happened to already have a popular home-grown mystery genre where the crime was revealed first and the suspense was all about how the detective solves it, so when Columbo was introduced it fell right into a ready-made cultural niche. It was huge. There were Japanese-only Columbo novels.

Death Note, but it's Columbo instead of L.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzFGEx9SkDg

My favorite Columbo fact is that Wim Wender's "Wings of Desire" has Peter Falk playing himself playing Columbo in Berlin. You think being an angel with no physical body is enough to fool Columbo('s actor)? Think again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7s-H4EqP4I

"Isn't that Columbo?"

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Cleretic posted:

You jump into an MMO and see a sword and shield, you know what you're getting. Same with daggers, same with an axe (although the size may change your expectations). Magic staff goes one of two ways depending on if they're a healer, both ways are fairly predictable.

Not in Guild Wars 2!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I finished TLOU 2 a while ago now but it has a bunch of small things I like.

Unlike most stealth action games it doesn't have a special type of grass you can hide in like a lot of games. Any overgrowth or grass etc. you can see you can hide in and it all works the same way. It really lets the game world look natural and makes the stealth feel immersive as opposed to hiding only in the designated stealth bushes. It also applies to shorter grass if you crawl instead of crouch. Even how spotting you while you're hiding in grass makes more sense. Being seen by an enemy at distance plays a rising tone and when it "breaks" you've been seen. It's a very easy to understand and intuitive system. When you're hiding in grass instead of being perfectly hidden or gaining the classic "closed eye" style icon it just causes the tone to rise more slowly. It just works really well and is possibly my current favourite stealth experience in games.

Whenever you upgrade weapons at a work bench they're often visual upgrades you can see. If you improve the stability of a weapon you'll get a new handle/stock on it with metal reinforcement. Or if you get a capacity upgrade the clip or magazine is replaced with a bigger one. They back ported this to the Part 1 remake which I just finished and it's absurdly fleshed out there too. Down to even the toolboxes you find to increase your crafting ability now adding new tools to your animations that get used specifically on upgrades that particular toolbox was gating. In the original Part 1 toolbox level was just an increasing number.

After playing a lot of Dishonoured 2 this weekend I'll be forever thankful for both tlou games letting you hold the interact button to pick up multiple small items at once instead of lots of presses.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

christmas boots posted:

Death Note, but it's Columbo instead of L.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16CKjELxHhg

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWtiYXPEbqs

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Encased lets you gently caress off and abandon the story altogether. There are like six ways this can end. All of them badly.

By the way this game is extremely Fallout: APNRPG. It even has entirely different dialogue for low-intelligence characters.

And another little thing that's cool about this game: Everything is narrated by a pretty good voice actor. He'll actually say things like, "She shuts her mouth abruptly and stares anxiously at the dark funnel cloud dancing on the horizon." But what's even cooler is that you can disable his narration. I found it interesting; I'd never seen this done and wanted to kind of indulge in its novelty, but it was way too slow; I wish I could have sped it up.

Another cool thing about this game: It's got a pretty cool, original setting! I mean, sure comparisons can be made, obvious influences are seen, but it's -- at least a setting that's very rarely explored and I dig it.

You know what's dragging it down, though? It has like three fuckin voice actors, and one of them has zero range though you can sure tell he's trying his hardest.

credburn has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Jan 17, 2023

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I called my mom a few days ago to wish her a happy birthday and she was watching Columbo

Columbo is everywhere

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

credburn posted:

Encased lets you gently caress off and abandon the story altogether. There are like six ways this can end. All of them badly.

By the way this game is extremely Fallout: APNRPG. It even has entirely different dialogue for low-intelligence characters.

And another little thing that's cool about this game: Everything is narrated by a pretty good voice actor. He'll actually say things like, "She shuts her mouth abruptly and stares anxiously at the dark funnel cloud dancing on the horizon." But what's even cooler is that you can disable his narration. I found it interesting; I'd never seen this done and wanted to kind of indulge in its novelty, but it was way too slow; I wish I could have sped it up.

Another cool thing about this game: It's got a pretty cool, original setting! I mean, sure comparisons can be made, obvious influences are seen, but it's -- at least a setting that's very rarely explored and I dig it.

You know what's dragging it down, though? It has like three fuckin voice actors, and one of them has zero range though you can sure tell he's trying his hardest.

Encased is good stuff. I think I posted about it in this very thread, but I love how many skill/stat/Wing (class, but not really) options there are in dialogues. If you see one that you can take, there are probably at least 3 alternatives that you can't.

Also, you can eventually get a Mammoth Car (they call it the "Road Train" or something, but it's basically the Mammoth Car from Speed Racer).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

A more abstract one that fits for basically a whole genre, leading to fun little things in every single one: MMOs always have a bow and/or gun-using role. But because it's basically impossible to get more than four moves out of 'I've got a ranged weapon', and MMOs need way more than that, every single one gets weird as poo poo.

You jump into an MMO and see a sword and shield, you know what you're getting. Same with daggers, same with an axe (although the size may change your expectations). Magic staff goes one of two ways depending on if they're a healer, both ways are fairly predictable. But the guy with a bow or a gun? All bets are off, because they can't just be a no-nonsense ranged attacker. That could be a debuffer, a stealth-based assassin, a pet class, a healer somehow, the only limit is how weird the developers got!

City of Heroes memories, especially since there's multiple archery movesets. Mostly riffing on Green Arrow kind of gimmicks, though they didn't have specifically a boxing glove arrow.

And then there's the Assault Rifle moveset which was originally meant to be an entire arsenal of weapons til they realised how redraw animation would be a pain, so they created the Frankengun instead, which needs to be seen to be believed.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And then they added weapon customization so now you can have bullets, buckshot, napalm, grenades, and rockets coming from anything from a modern tactilol assault rifle, to a pulp scifi ray gun, to a gangster tommy gun. :allears:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:hellyeah: remains the most satisfying thing in gaming 24 years later

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

John Lee posted:

Not in Guild Wars 2!

I dip into this every few months because I'm not an MMO guy but it's my wife's favorite game. I equally love and hate how your moveset mostly depends on what kind of weapon you have equipped, but also any given weapon's moveset has basically fuckall to do with that weapon.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

SkeletonHero posted:

I dip into this every few months because I'm not an MMO guy but it's my wife's favorite game. I equally love and hate how your moveset mostly depends on what kind of weapon you have equipped, but also any given weapon's moveset has basically fuckall to do with that weapon.

Agincourt would have turned out much differently if the French had laser-beam shooting greatswords.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I have a pretty intense fear of deep water to the point that I can't play Subnautica or Sea of Thieves or even interact with the Outer Wilds water planet. Yet somehow I can swim happily in the ponds in Grounded. I'm really not sure what it is, but somehow it doesn't trigger my fear. Even though there are dangers in the water. I've even died in it. But I still don't fear it. It's kinda amazing and a huge relief.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The ponds in Grounded are very small amounts of water, not oceans.

Or possibly what you're actually afraid of is salt?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Phigs posted:

I have a pretty intense fear of deep water to the point that I can't play Subnautica or Sea of Thieves or even interact with the Outer Wilds water planet. Yet somehow I can swim happily in the ponds in Grounded. I'm really not sure what it is, but somehow it doesn't trigger my fear. Even though there are dangers in the water. I've even died in it. But I still don't fear it. It's kinda amazing and a huge relief.

Is it because you can see the bottom? Thats where my fear always kicks in. When I cant.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Phigs posted:

I hated Giant's Deep it was awful and I'm usually ok with deep water stuff.

That said I love describing Outer Wilds to people, even though I haven't finished it yet. You're a little alien, exploring a tiny solar system with tiny planets on your little wooden spaceship and you can roast marshmallows and you track other astronauts by listening for their instruments that they play! Also it's goddamn terrifying and haunting and incredibly melancholy.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Phigs posted:

For me I've found it's not necessarily the water, but the vastness, that gets me on edge. Like, in Outer Wilds I hate Giants Deep of course but also hate when I'm in space and my ship isn't, like, directly next to me. First time I fell into the black hole I needed to pause and catch my breath.

So yeah, in Submautica I like puttering about shallows and following the bottom of the ocean in deep water but when I need to go all the way up to take a breath, and I look down and have to descend into the complete void, ohhhhhh gently caress I hate it so much.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Theres a game on game pass called Exo One that has a very bad water level. Bad in that sinking into the ocean brought back memories of childhood nightmares and a near drowning. Quit out so fast lol. Very cool game apart from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Solenna posted:

I hated Giant's Deep it was awful and I'm usually ok with deep water stuff.

That said I love describing Outer Wilds to people, even though I haven't finished it yet. You're a little alien, exploring a tiny solar system with tiny planets on your little wooden spaceship and you can roast marshmallows and you track other astronauts by listening for their instruments that they play! Also it's goddamn terrifying and haunting and incredibly melancholy.

The Outer Wilds is a lovely cozy little game about dying in space.