Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

CODChimera posted:

so that was caused by some guy using the wrong wrench? lmao

yeah and the idiot admitted it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

dk2m posted:

i've traveled overseas for a bit in asia and the reaction to this war was fascinating, it ranged from people who didn't give a poo poo about it, to being non-aligned but still wary of the west's poo poo, to supportive of the donbass but not exactly pro-russia

its wild that they would have all been considered putin supporters if they lived here

i didn't really meet anyone that was outright pro-ukraine or pro-russia too, it was either total non-chalance or a some sort of nuanced take

even the media i was watching was much more "news" like than editorializing that is now just considered news here

woah what do you mean normal people aren't liberal brained

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CODChimera posted:

so that was caused by some guy using the wrong wrench? lmao

the Mars Climate Orbiter failed because the NASA team was using the metric system, while the Lockheed-Martin engineers was using the Imperial system. The probe's navigation system was expecting to receive a number equivalent to pounds-of-force of thrust, but the NASA team was feeding it figures assuming that they could use Newtons. The loving thing broke up in the Martian atmosphere during reentry.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

the Mars Climate Orbiter failed because the NASA team was using the metric system, while the Lockheed-Martin engineers was using the Imperial system. The probe's navigation system was expecting to receive a number equivalent to pounds-of-force of thrust, but the NASA team was feeding it figures assuming that they could use Newtons. The loving thing broke up in the Martian atmosphere during reentry.

metric was a ccp plot

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Palladium posted:

metric was a ccp plot

french

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

hon hon hon I am using le centimetres to measure!!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Sorry I invented metric because giving my dick size in centimeters made it sound bigger. My bad.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Sorry Celsius was a joke, it sucks on purpose

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

So much here explains events since 2014 I'm frustrated that nobody has written about it much yet. One thing I will say, it does make the election of Zelensky almost incomprehensible as well as the "Big Israel" comments, since Ukrainian nationalism considers war against Jews as one in the same as war against the "Imperial" powers: Austria, Poland, the USSR, and the Russian Federation, that they associate with protecting Jews, and of course oppressing themselves, in the province.

Aside from the fact that a lot of anti-Jew energy has been aimed at other minorities (plus Russia of course), there's also the fact that a lot of people in Ukraine aren't psychos like those in the western parts of the country (though most of the people who have actual power are like this). It used to be part of the USSR, after all. It's only really the west of the country that's had a consistent nazi/nazi-adjacent history.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Ardennes posted:

I think Lvov along with the most Western cities were considered "places of refuge" prior to this point because more active press-ganging hasn't been happening. Obviously, this has changed.

However, yeah, you may have the resources for checkpoints around a city, but yeah searching every barn in every village is another matter. The issue isn't there aren't "military age men" in Ukraine, it is just getting harder and harder to find them and get them to fight.

Here's hoping they do everything to avoid being sent into the meat grinder. On an unrelated note I wonder what the translation of "fragging" is

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Zudgemud posted:

Calling Finns reindeer fuckers are like calling today's Americans buffalo fuckers because some Native American tribes hunted buffalos on the great plains and the buffalo remains an important cultural component in some of the surviving First Nations.

It basically comes down to goons being lazy with their humor and aping one another. "You know what the funniest possible thing would be? loving an animal" One goon does it, then like a younger brother who doesn't understand the conception behind the bad words their older brother has used, the rest just end up repeating it mindlessly

Animal rape. Peak comedy :geno:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

Aside from the fact that a lot of anti-Jew energy has been aimed at other minorities (plus Russia of course), there's also the fact that a lot of people in Ukraine aren't psychos like those in the western parts of the country (though most of the people who have actual power are like this). It used to be part of the USSR, after all. It's only really the west of the country that's had a consistent nazi/nazi-adjacent history.

It's going to be very interesting once the Greater Polish Commonwealth gets re-established with regards to their national cultural / psychological makeup.

I'm thinking in a couple decades (because these plans are quite long term) you'll see a very well armed & built up Polish Commonwealth be quite the attack dog for facing shall we say, lands to the East.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Zudgemud posted:

Calling Finns reindeer fuckers are like calling today's Americans buffalo fuckers because some Native American tribes hunted buffalos on the great plains and the buffalo remains an important cultural component in some of the surviving First Nations.

VS

lollontee posted:

in certain extremely cousinfucking parts of the north, the Sami who are very much not Finns btw, keep reindeers and are mocked for it in the usual ways. the problem is that i personally know an extremely finnish guy, who got kicked out of the army during his conscription service and told not to come back, for attempting to copulate with a reindeer while serving in lapland. apparently, he was drunk

i think jokes should be legal, and that should include funny ironic racism

I’m going to have to listen to actual Finnish voices and lived experiences here and say at the very least some Finns do indeed do what we all think they do.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What's a Finn?

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The German Defence Minister has resigned.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/16/german-defence-minister-christine-lambrecht-quits?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

The German defence minister has resigned after growing doubt was cast on her ability to lead the country in reviving its long-neglected armed forces against the backdrop of the Ukraine war.

“Today I asked the chancellor to dismiss me from the office of federal minister of defence,” Christine Lambrecht, a member of Olaf Scholz’s Social Democratic party (SPD), said in a statement.

“The months-long media focus on my person hardly allows for objective reporting and discussion about servicemen and women … and security policy decisions in the interest of the citizens of Germany,” she added.

Scholz is under pressure to approve an increase in international military support for Kyiv to help it repel Russian forces from Ukraine.

Lambrecht, 57, has been blamed for failing to get the German army back in shape quickly despite a €100bn (£89bn) special fund being agreed on the revamp after Russia invaded Ukraine.

The long-running debate over the state of Germany’s defence capabilities intensified last month when several Puma infantry tanks were put out of service during a recent military drill.

Lambrecht was recently criticised by the media and opposition figures for posting a video on social media on New Year’s Day in which she thanked service personnel, but struggled to be heard against background noise from firecrackers and seemingly mixed up the war in Ukraine with pleasant personal encounters.

“What kind of a year was 2022? It faced us with many incredible challenges. There is a war raging in the middle of Europe. Associated with this were for me many special impressions, many encounters with interesting, great people,” she said in the video that was recorded outside.

Leading German media condemned the tone of the message, with some commentators saying Lambrecht’s position was “no longer tenable”.

Rumours had since been swirling that she was planning to resign. There was no immediate news of her successor.

Lambrecht’s resignation comes at a crucial time, with Germany and other western allies under increasing pressure to deliver battle tanks to Ukraine.

The Ukraine defence contact group, a US-led initiative that coordinates arms supplies to Kyiv, is due to meet this week at the Ramstein airbase in Germany.

Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine last February marked a big turning point in German defence policy, with Scholz announcing a a €100bn fund to upgrade Germany’s army, known as the Bundeswehr.

After years of chronic underinvestment, Scholz in September vowed to transform the country’s military into the “best equipped” in Europe.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

What's a Finn?

a novel

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Futanari Damacy posted:

It basically comes down to YOSPOS being lazy with their humor and copy and pasting one another. "You know what the funniest possible thing would be? loving a computer" One YOSPOSTer does it, then like a younger brother who doesn't understand the conception behind the bad words their older brother has used, the rest just end up repeating it mindlessly

Computer rape. Peak comedy :geno:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

genericnick posted:

What's a Finn?

Some star wars character I think.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
A lot of the issue in the Bundeswehr doesn't really seem a lack of desire for more systems but that years of neglect just don't go away like that and also there are promises of spending versus what they are actually getting.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:03 on Jan 16, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

A lot of the issue in the Budneswehr doesn't really seem a lack of desire for more systems but that years of neglect just don't go away like that and also there are promises of spending versus what they are actually getting.

From what I understand the bureacratic and legislative red tape is beyond constrictive and I don't know how they could get anything done without repealing or re-writing a number of laws THEN getting to work on long term funding & related contracts.

edit - None of which excuses their poo poo former defence minister who didn't try to do any of that and just threw her hands in the air and walked out.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 12:21 on Jan 16, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Futanari Damacy posted:

Here's hoping they do everything to avoid being sent into the meat grinder. On an unrelated note I wonder what the translation of "fragging" is

there are russian language wikis for fragging and lynching (which you can put into google translate if you want). should find the terms used there. neither look like they're machine translated copy pastes but might be. not sure

Фрэггинг/fragging
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A4%D1%80%D1%8D%D0%B3%D0%B3%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B3

Самосуд/lynching which has subcategories on "soldier lynching" and "officer lynching"
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A...%81%D1%83%D0%B4

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Ardennes posted:

Budneswehr

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BIforPeace/status/1614540247819321346

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Cuttlefush posted:

there are russian language wikis for fragging and lynching
:stare:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

lol jesus christ

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

i don't think lynching in russian carries all the same connotations it does in English. the lynching of officers in that article refers to soldiers lynching old guard officers that they thought the beaurocracy was taking a bit too long to purge

you aren't too snappy with context, are you

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Cuttlefush posted:

i don't think lynching in russian carries all the same connotations it does in English. the lynching of officers in that article refers to soldiers lynching old guard officers that they thought the beaurocracy was taking a bit too long to purge

you aren't too snappy with context, are you

The point is oftentimes the context is either harder to explain to people in a way that assuages their distaste (rightful for that particular word) or outright irrelevant in the face of what other people think- see: eastern-style swastikas in the west before February 2022.

I don't think it's a controversial stance to say I'm personally against lynching. :colbert:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
At the end of the day I hope none of that is necessary; while some are cheering for a Russian victory or a Ukrainian victory, I'm cheering for a negotiated end to hostilities that ensures the survival, safety, and dignity of all. :hai:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
get a load of this jabroni who isn't cheering for robert mueller and the rule of law

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

get a load of this jabroni who isn't cheering for robert mueller and the rule of law

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

lmao

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Futanari Damacy posted:

The point is oftentimes the context is either harder to explain to people in a way that assuages their distaste (rightful for that particular word) or outright irrelevant in the face of what other people think- see: eastern-style swastikas in the west before February 2022.

I don't think it's a controversial stance to say I'm personally against lynching. :colbert:

what

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

From what I understand the bureacratic and legislative red tape is beyond constrictive and I don't know how they could get anything done without repealing or re-writing a number of laws THEN getting to work on long term funding & related contracts.

edit - None of which excuses their poo poo former defence minister who didn't try to do any of that and just threw her hands in the air and walked out.

I get the feeling she was just taking the heat for a issue than is only bigger than just her or Scholz. Admittedly, I do think a large part of that red tape was also about austerity which has been affecting the entire German government for years, and that goes beyond defense procurement. A lot of German infrastructure is actively deteriorating, and the memes about DB have some truth to them.

There is also the question of there is this political desire (right now) to arm the Ukrainians and rebuild the German military but there doesn't seem to have been the accounting done to take into account how new infrastructure, personnel, munitions they are going to need especially if they are going to be buying something like the F-35 and other high maintenance systems. What do you do about the Puma as well?

It is all easier said then done and it is easier to just let someone else handle it.

It is also why I don't know if 100b is going to be spent, and even if it was, it would be enough to do what the Germans hope to do.

Futanari Damacy posted:

So...the Russians should just have shot them back in the head?

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Jan 16, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol owned https://www.rferl.org/a/germany-lambrecht-ukraine-criticism-resignation/32225319.html

quote:

Germany's Defense Minister Resigns Amid Ukraine Criticism

German Defense Minister Christine Lambrecht has resigned following persistent criticism of her handling of military modernization programs and the country’s arms deliveries to Ukraine. Lambrecht said in a statement on January 16 that she had submitted her resignation request to Chancellor Olaf Scholz, saying that “months of media focus on my person” had stood in the way of a factual debate about the military and Germany’s security policy. “The valuable work of the soldiers and many people in my department must stand in the foreground,” she said. There was no immediate word on a possible replacement.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Ardennes posted:

So...the Russians should just have shot them back in the head?

im starting to wonder what exactly they think lynching means

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

i’m seeing double here!

4 russias?!

:eyepop:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I feel like this explains everything about lockmart.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cuttlefush posted:

either probe these guys while they're in here (don't actually) or let them go peaceably. don't keep tabs on them to see if they are talking poo poo somewhere else and then nail a 2-day old post for it. or if you do don't admit it. we're petty enough without you doing this kind of poo poo. it's also insane to do this while saying that you do not want dnd and cspam to be at forums war

i am begging you to just let calibanibal to take care of things. he has been doing a great job for the past week or two and you are being a huge dork

*putting on mod hat*

listen up y’all, im tired of all the subforum war stuff you all have been posting on the last several pages

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
guys ive become a defender of democracy and human rights is there a cream with which to pop this boil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Al-Saqr posted:

guys ive become a defender of democracy and human rights is there a cream with which to pop this boil?

you will have to pour gasoline on it and then light it on fire