Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

QB sneaks are a super high percentage play. Taking them off the table because Huntley is a backup is dumb. At some point you have the trust the player to execute a basic play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This kind of QB sneak that QBs do where they hold the ball out front and try to jump over is new though. i'm shocked that plays like last night don't happen more often.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I think the bigger thing is know where you are in the field. He had to know he was on the four and a sneak was not going to do it like that

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

And, personally, Dobbins throwing the coaches under the bus doesn't really bother me. I agree with....Kawalimus? poo poo, really? Ok...I do: the Ravens should have won that game, but poor play calls in the red zone and some absolutely rancid clock management gave the game away. Dobbins just lost a playoff game his team should have won, I understand his frustration, but it also suggests to me that he doesn't feel like the coaching staff listens to him or other players' concerns.
The Ravens have to fire Greg Roman, IMO.

IMO we have to take it a step further and get rid of Harbaugh. This isn't the first time this has happened with an OC and Harbaugh it's like the fourth time. Yeah we had Kubiak once but when you have a good OC they probably won't last long before getting poached.

Clearly Jackson is not happy with things. And Dobbins' comment is showing solidarity to me with Jackson. I didn't read into it as negative toward Huntley just more like what I'm saying.

So I think you have to clean house and either side with the players or side with the coaches. And I know which side I am picking here. I think it would be a colossal mistake to bring back the same leadership with the same players, and that is a recipe for some sort of true disaster situation. It's clear what the players want so bring in a HC who will give them that. Again we could just ask Harbaugh to find the right OC. But what will happen is after a year or so that OC will get poached by someone else and we'll have to go into uncertainty again and possibly this exact same scenario of players not being happy again because Harbaugh won't dump the next guy if/when he should.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

QB sneaks are a super high percentage play. Taking them off the table because Huntley is a backup is dumb. At some point you have the trust the player to execute a basic play.

Except we were too far out there, even for a burrowing(owl) type QB sneak.

Edwards almost scored the play before. Part of the benefit of having a strong o-line and good short yardage back is that you can just straight up win and don't necessarily have to concoct something even. So do that! Run with Edwards or even Dobbins on 3rd and 4th and 95% chance that's a TD.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

once it seemed clear that they could do so they should have let the offensive players defeat the bengals in a normal fashion. but they tried to keep doing Cheap Trick as you had mentioned. and i had mentioned that cheap trick works but usually only for a small time. all in all, a frustrating time for some.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

once it seemed clear that they could do so they should have let the offensive players defeat the bengals in a normal fashion. but they tried to keep doing Cheap Trick as you had mentioned. and i had mentioned that cheap trick works but usually only for a small time. all in all, a frustrating time for some.

It's ok. Because even if we did win this game we would have lost to the Chiefs. But who knows. This was the first road wildcard game the Ravens have ever lost. They were 6-0 in the past. Another neat Ravens thing ruined. Just like we wasted Justin Tucker's historic 4th quarter streak on a 67 yard attempt in Florida where if we'd just put an effort into getting a few more yards he would have had another big 60+ yarder win.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 16, 2023

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Kawalimus keeping track of Ravens historic streaks and records:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The coaching staff had a few times that they hosed up, it’s true.

They also could have had the loving doors blown off them by Burrow, Chase and co. They didn’t, because they’re well coached and have constructed a roster with a lot of talent. It’s so easy to pick apart decisions after a loss but it’s silly to want to burn the whole franchise down over it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

On the defense, yeah. I didn't say anything bad about MacDonald or those guys. I think our defense, especially since Roquan came in, have done a great job despite not having a truly dominant pass rusher.

The only thing I get mad at the defense for is I feel like we give up the first down too often after forcing a 2nd and long situation.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Dobbins is 100% right he should be touching the ball 30+ times in a playoff game and like 50% of the remaining plays should be PA passes to Andrews or Likely (who was nowhere to be found this game for whatever reason). Their team is built around great OL, great TEs, great RB, mobile QB, and (if they are lucky) like a single competent WR who can stretch the field. If you build your team like then then just hammer that poo poo for 60 minutes.

I don't get why Roman insists on being cute and giving Huntley 10 carries or doing poo poo like handing it off to Andrews in the backfield or feeding Gus Edwards for some reason. If force feeding Dobbins and Andrews doesn't work then fine, start doing your wacky poo poo. But it was working yesterday.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

really queer Christmas posted:

The ravens are so loving weird. They are clearly not a good team without Lamar, but also they should not even be competitive in games and yet they very much are. Which you'd think would be a credit to the coaching staff... except they seem to call plays by throwing darts at a wall, and have horrific clock management despite a head coach that doesn't call plays and has been a coach for 15 years. Genuinely don't get this team more than any other.

The Ravens are like a Rorschach test in that you can see everything and nothing in them.
Is Harbaugh the ingredient that stabilizes the team or does he hold them back?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Kawalimus must have got into Mom and Dad's coffee today.

AndrewP posted:

The coaching staff had a few times that they hosed up, it’s true.

They also could have had the loving doors blown off them by Burrow, Chase and co. They didn’t, because they’re well coached and have constructed a roster with a lot of talent. It’s so easy to pick apart decisions after a loss but it’s silly to want to burn the whole franchise down over it.

This is the right take. But also Greg Roman has got to go. Multiple offensive players have shown strong dissatisfaction with his coaching and Dobbins is dead right that the play calling needs to reflect the team's talent a lot more.

My concern is if the right OC is out there to hire. We really need someone of the Shanahan style to get more out of Lamar in the passing game with Bootlegs, play action, solid screens, and multiple TE sets.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Dobbins is 100% right he should be touching the ball 30+ times in a playoff game and like 50% of the remaining plays should be PA passes to Andrews or Likely (who was nowhere to be found this game for whatever reason). Their team is built around great OL, great TEs, great RB, mobile QB, and (if they are lucky) like a single competent WR who can stretch the field. If you build your team like then then just hammer that poo poo for 60 minutes.

I don't get why Roman insists on being cute and giving Huntley 10 carries or doing poo poo like handing it off to Andrews in the backfield or feeding Gus Edwards for some reason. If force feeding Dobbins and Andrews doesn't work then fine, start doing your wacky poo poo. But it was working yesterday.

Gus should get his touches too. Dude is a tremendous change of pace back. Still no reason Dobbins shouldn't get 20 carries and an additional few passes. Otherwise you are entirely correct. G-Ro got to go.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Gus absolutely should not be getting 12 carries for 39 yards in a playoff game unless someone is hurt.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

remaining plays should be PA passes to Andrews or Likely (who was nowhere to be found this game for whatever reason).

This is another infuriating thing about the Ravens and how we put offensive talent in position to fail. Likely has a great preseason where he really shows something. Then he struggles a bit out of the gate so we just give up on him till Andrews leaves the Bucs game and Likely has a breakout performance against them. So it follows we should give him more chances right? Nope. We take the Vince McMahon approach. Limit a guy's opportunities then use the limited results to justify further limiting opportunities. It's a big reason why almost every WR we've ever drafted has failed to really develop into anything good.

I know that Likely has had some bad drops this year. But the man is a 4th round rookie. That's going to happen. That's not an excuse to do nothing with him forever, especially when you have a team this desperate for receiving options!

I'm fine with Gus getting touches and every so often there might be a game where Gus is hot and might even get more carries than Dobbins. But Dobbins is absolutely the feature back between those two. I'd say the best general approach is to give a steady dose of Dobbins most of the first three quarters and have teams chasing him around up and down the field and Hill too. Then later in the game you bring in fresh Gus when they're sucking wind and more tired and use him and your powerful O-line to ice the game especially when you have a lead. Again that's just a general approach. I remember us doing that sort of thing with LeRon McClain.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Gus absolutely should not be getting 12 carries for 39 yards in a playoff game unless someone is hurt.

12 carries would be a perfect workload if the Ravens had run the ball 45 times.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

did anyone notice when perine would run the ball, the defensive linemen as well as the linebackers would come up and somehow shove his head into the ground from a standing position without any movement in between. he would be standing up and trying to run, then his head would be shoved into the ground in the next "frame" of reality. he did not get taken down; he just was made to be laying onto his face from a standing position without any time passing. i'm sorry to restate it so many times but i have to be clear. it seems like the ideal way to tackle in that situation as each time he gained zero to 1 yard. i hope he is ok

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
Atari 2600 rear end tackling

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I like to call Josh Allen Mr January. He's Mr January, Jim. He performs in January so I like to call him Mr January.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I call him Late Christmas 'cuz he's handing out gifts in January.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

fartknocker posted:

Kawalimus keeping track of Ravens historic streaks and records:

They’ve set a bunch of interesting historic records this season but he doesn’t seem too excited about those :thunk:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a Vikings/Giants or Bills/Dolphins aftermath thread?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Kalli posted:

I call him Late Christmas 'cuz he's handing out gifts in January.
I can only assume the schematic differences between Daboll and Dorsey bring out Josh's dumbest hero-ball tendencies. It's downright Favrian.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Waltzing Along posted:

This thread seems to be covering the NFL Protagonist Baltimore Ravens well enough. Doubt we need to clutter the sub forum with anything else.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Ravens are injured every year. It isn't bad luck, it's a combination of how they coach camp/practice and what they prioritize in drafts.

A lot of teams like the Niners have the coaching to overcome it but, as Kawalimus points out, the Ravens do not.

it actually is bad luck. the ravens even changed how they 'camp/practice' so they could reduce physical stress on the players as much as possible.

'a lot of teams' do not have the coaching to overcome it, injuries are the number one reason for why a bunch of teams suck year after year. the number of teams that would 'have the coaching to overcome it' are in the very low single digits. the loving QB went down for 7 weeks into the playoffs my man, they went 3-4 during that time

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

whos the first

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That stat makes a lot of sense since both games had the same general trajectory. Tight game has a 10-14 point swing off a Ravens redzone turnover.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

My god, ANOTHER ONE of these absolutely bonkers stats.

its not that crazy when the sample size is 'playoff games in the last very specific 15 years' and you're measuring rushing yards against total yards. i'm surprised there's another team on that list at all. 'ravens are the first team to lose playoff game at cincinnati while being called the baltimore ravens.' absolutely bonkers

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

its not that crazy when the sample size is 'playoff games in the last very specific 15 years' and you're measuring rushing yards against total yards. i'm surprised there's another team on that list at all. 'ravens are the first team to lose playoff game at cincinnati while being called the baltimore ravens.' absolutely bonkers

The other team is the Ravens in 2020. It just words it weirdly. So the only two teams in the last 15 years to do that are the Harbaugh/Roman Ravens.

And maybe by itself it's not bonkers but when you put it up to all these other "The Ravens are the only team to have lost x many games while having y statistical advantage" over the course of over a decade or hundreds of games, yeah that's insane. Like the one of us losing four games out of 11 when nobody else who had 10 point leads in every one lost more than one, and most of them lost zero. And these things all happened during one single year.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 16, 2023

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

NFCN Thread. Come join, we need more people that don't talk about the Packers.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3999307&pagenumber=266&perpage=40

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Harbaugh’s future is pretty straightforward imo. Roman’s contract is apparently up; if he’s resigned then fire both of them into the sun. I know that we were all calling for Roman to be shitcanned the back half of the season but realistically there probably wasn’t anyone better to replace him with mid season, so I think Harbaugh gets the benefit of the doubt.
If they can’t work out a deal with Jackson because the relationship between him and Harbaugh was ruined by the playcalling then fire him. Otherwise I think he gets a chance to give it another go.

Waltzing Along posted:

Try posting content instead of passive-aggressively sniping about it, maybe?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I think it's pretty simple for the ravens and you absolutely blame the coaches for that loss. You have your backup qb who's young and not exactly a big bruiser body. You are one of the few teams in the league that still gainfully employ a fullback. You are a very long yard out from the goalline and its only 3rd down. Dobbins is 100% correct, Huntley should have never been put in that situation, calling a qb sneak there is indefensible. The fact that Huntley was trying to politely put the ball up on a shelf in the end zone strikes me as qb sneak being a play he and the offense almost never practice if ever, which would be even more damning to be calling plays you just don't practice considering how critical timing is on a qb sneak. The dipshit OC that decided on such an awful call and the manager head coach that didn't say anything about a truly awful play call.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Roman made a ton of terrible decisions in that game but the QB sneak there is fine as a conservative play in support of going for it on 4th down. All Huntley had to do was not fumble, a very easy thing to do on a QB sneak designed to go low. Or complete the incredibly easy outside pass for a walk in TD on 1st down.

Similarly, it was fine not to call a timeout with 1:14 left at the 17 yard line. A TD and extra point only tie the game so you really do want to limit the Bengal's opportunity in case you score. That said huddling up and losing 45 seconds instead of keeping with the quick game is totally inexcusable.

Again, Greg Roman has got to be fired.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Roman made a ton of terrible decisions in that game but the QB sneak there is fine as a conservative play in support of going for it on 4th down. All Huntley had to do was not fumble, a very easy thing to do on a QB sneak designed to go low. Or complete the incredibly easy outside pass for a walk in TD on 1st down.

Similarly, it was fine not to call a timeout with 1:14 left at the 17 yard line. A TD and extra point only tie the game so you really do want to limit the Bengal's opportunity in case you score. That said huddling up and losing 45 seconds instead of keeping with the quick game is totally inexcusable.

Again, Greg Roman has got to be fired.

https://twitter.com/stavvybaby/status/1614999476523118592

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Admittedly, it's not looking good for the ravens coaching staff when the discussion is revolving around "no, THIS baffling play call fuckup is what really sunk the team!"

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Roman made a ton of terrible decisions in that game but the QB sneak there is fine as a conservative play in support of going for it on 4th down.

Absolute nonsense! And who would ever run a 3rd down play with one yard to go with the intention of setting up a 4th down play, where one error means you turn the ball over on downs? That's even more nonsensical than the sneak call to begin with. Of course the objective of the sneak was to score.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

All the Cincinnati Bengals do is hurt and destroy. Look what they've done to our friends

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

sweet thursday posted:

All the Cincinnati Bengals do is hurt and destroy. Look what they've done to our friends

You may have helped us in ways you can never understand. But that remains to be seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Alright, no lie there. It was a too far out for the QB sneak. For some reason I was remembering it from the 1.

Still think the play calling to end the half was worse than the redzone sequence that ended in the fumble. Could have passed the ball to someone in the end zone on that first play, preferably to Likely who was criminally underused, then had enough time to run the ball, or at least threaten it, on 2nd and 3rd down. Instead it's a screen and two roll out pass plays for your lovely back up QB. The screen to Andrews on 1st down killed the whole sequence.