Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Armored Core is coming out this year. That sounds like a fast turnaround but they apparently started in 2016

:stare: hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Play posted:

mechwarrior 5 is not terrible especially when modded

just a little empty. But still fun

yeah i started playing it because of the previous thread, its at least good enough to hold off the mech urges until armored core

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

The trailer is sick. Love the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRyRv0bwH2o

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

ymgve posted:

What about the cliff racers?

Morrowind has a general issue of not spawning in enemies you are guaranteed to hit and kill in a single swing. But whatever.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Azran posted:

Yeah, just ask anyone who discovered deckbuilders with StS lol

Monster Train and Vault of the Void are both solid

Alina of the Arena, Card Quest, Across the Obelisk and Yi Xian are interesting spins (tactical RPG, fixed deck from gear, multiplayer coop and auto battler respectively).

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Morrowind has a general issue of not spawning in enemies you are guaranteed to hit and kill in a single swing. But whatever.

not really, if you cant hit enemies consistently, you're either in a dangerous area, you're using a weapon that you don't actually have the skill to use, or you keep trying to swing while your fatigue bar is at zero

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

ShadowMar posted:

not really, if you cant hit enemies consistently, you're either in a dangerous area, you're using a weapon that you don't actually have the skill to use, or you keep trying to swing while your fatigue bar is at zero

i probably worded myself wrong but after 20+ hours I get tired of having to kill a rat that woke me up from my slumber. its a weird meme of every elder scrolls game that weak shitters will charge your daedric armor looking rear end

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

- Love a game
- "I want more in this niche genre!"
- Look it up on steam
- Congrats, you basically started with the literal best ones on steam. Everything else is not as good.

This happen to anyone else? It's Mech games for me. I played Into the Breach, battletech and MW5 and was like "Boy, I sure hope there are other great mech games on this platform!" :sigh:

Recommender systems are basically built to do that and it's really hard to design one that doesn't (not that Valve is trying, or could try).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Recommender systems are basically built to do that and it's really hard to design one that doesn't (not that Valve is trying, or could try).

enhanced steam or whatever the gently caress it's called has an alternate "games like this" that pulls from another site, and it's found me some pretty good indies I never would have seen otherwise

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

i probably worded myself wrong but after 20+ hours I get tired of having to kill a rat that woke me up from my slumber. its a weird meme of every elder scrolls game that weak shitters will charge your daedric armor looking rear end

oh lol, yeah, but on the other hand, waking up to a scrib is always a fun surprise, i love those little dudes

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

ShadowMar posted:

new armored core game comes out this year. otherwise yeah, good mech games are a fuckin holy grail

i basically never sell games. I did around the time Dark Souls 3 came out (as i used the money to get DS3). I regret selling only 2 games: Armored Core V and Ressonance of Fate. What makes it worse is AC isnt on any other platform digitally, making it impossible to get legally.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Poker Quest, Nadir, and Beneath Oresa are some cool/promising deckbuilders I've seen recently. I was also a big fan of another one but I can't remember what it's called. It was one where you need to use paintbrushes to reveal parts of the map

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Roguebook?

Arcanium is in that vein

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I found Monster Train to be infinitely more fun than StS.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I definitely didn’t.

Monster Train was the first game I’ve ever refunded.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Jack Trades posted:

I dunno, I didn't manage to continue playing enough to learn its gameplay loop. The multiple floors and multiple enemies combo didn't really gel for me, enemy design was a blur and I never remembered who did what.
I'm sure it's a perfectly good game, it just wasn't memorable enough to stick with it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

ultrafilter posted:

There are no games that everyone will love or even like.

I couldn't get through an hour of Disco Elysium, just didn't get on with it at all.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've started playing Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes yesterday. So far I'm finding it incredibly fun! The character handling and stealth are the highlights by far but the whole thing is strangely cohesive, too. Out of Kojima's games, I've only played Death Stranding before and liked it enough.

The above is an unapologetic segue into me asking what is the best way to emulate Metal Gear Solid nowadays and where should I start? I know there is Metal Gear but not sure about the exact connection.

P.S.: I had a PS3 which I could have used to play the MGS collection but unfortunately I've sold it before that. I don't plan to buy another because of lack of space and honestly playing games on it was a drag anyway. It also doesn't seem the collection will ever be released again. Annoyingly enough, it was also taken down from Playstation Now (which was not available here) before it merged into the new Playstation Plus tier (which is available here).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Aphex- posted:

I couldn't get through an hour of Disco Elysium, just didn't get on with it at all.

Booo. BOOO!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

lordfrikk posted:

I've started playing Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes yesterday. So far I'm finding it incredibly fun! The character handling and stealth are the highlights by far but the whole thing is strangely cohesive, too. Out of Kojima's games, I've only played Death Stranding before and liked it enough.

The above is an unapologetic segue into me asking what is the best way to emulate Metal Gear Solid nowadays and where should I start? I know there is Metal Gear but not sure about the exact connection.

P.S.: I had a PS3 which I could have used to play the MGS collection but unfortunately I've sold it before that. I don't plan to buy another because of lack of space and honestly playing games on it was a drag anyway. It also doesn't seem the collection will ever be released again. Annoyingly enough, it was also taken down from Playstation Now (which was not available here) before it merged into the new Playstation Plus tier (which is available here).

There's a PC version of MGS1 available on GOG, although it's probably exactly the same as the original PC release with no updates, so I don't know how well it runs on modern systems.
Other than that, MGS1 is a PS1 game, I'm sure it emulates just fine on an OK PC, I think PS1 emulation is pretty good these days.

There's also a PC version of MGS2 on GOG, again no idea how well that plays on modern systems.

MGS3 has no PC version, so you're stuck with emulation. MGS4 never came out on anything other than the PS3, didn't look like it emulated very well last time I looked, seemed pretty jank.

Honestly, a PS3 is probably the best bet for playing all the MGS games before 5 if you don't want to emulate. The MGS HD Collection has 2, 3 & Peacewalker, plus emulated versions of the MSX games. Also the PS3 is backwards compatible with PS1 games so you can play MGS1.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 16, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Veotax posted:

There's a PC version of MGS1 available on GOG, although it's probably exactly the same as the original PC release with no updates, so I don't know how well it runs on modern systems.
I thought the point of GOG was that they patched games if necessary to make them run on modern PCs. That and the no DRM.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

- Love a game
- "I want more in this niche genre!"
- Look it up on steam
- Congrats, you basically started with the literal best ones on steam. Everything else is not as good.

This happen to anyone else?

Yup, happens a lot. drat my high standards!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

MGS1 is on GOG, but the PC port's perhaps a little rough. It emulates great in Duckstation with all the enhancements you'd ever want.

MGS2 used to be on GOG, but got removed from sale on all platforms after the licensing on some stock footage expired. If you don't have access to a PS3 or Xbone, PCSX2 emulates it fine. Get the nightly releases for a better UI and better performance!

MGS3 never got a PC release. It emulates fine in PCSX2, but might need a bit of fiddling with the settings - it's a very demanding game and pushes the PS2 to the limit. Again, get the nightly releases.

MGS4 never left the PS3 and is a worst-case-scenario nightmare that haunts emulator authors in their sleep. RPCS3 can be coaxed into running it, but with frequent crashing, so savestate often! There are some custom forks focused on MGS4-specific compatibility hacks that may function better. Oh! And it uses Sixaxis poo poo, so you'll want a PS3, PS4 or PS5 controller anyway.

MGS Peace Walker is a spinoff for PSP, but its story is very relevant to MGS5. Again, the HD Collection is the best release since it has such innovative additions as support for a second analog stick, but if you can't swing that PPSSPP will run it perfectly without complaint.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Commander Keene posted:

I thought the point of GOG was that they patched games if necessary to make them run on modern PCs. That and the no DRM.

GOG does a lot of the basic foundational stuff to get old games running at all, but they generally don't go much further than that. Sometimes under special circumstances they'll do a bit more, but MGS1 definitely doesn't fall under that category. Even if it runs 100% smooth I'm guessing it lacks anything resembling modern controller support or decent keymapping.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If we're talking unpopular opinions, I just could not get on with Slay The Spire or Monster Train and had to refund them. I've tried several other deck-based games, same thing. I want to like the genre but just... can't.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

No deckbuilding roguelikes have really been able to top Hearthstone's Dungeon Runs for me. Slay the Spire's gameplay is functionally just a sequence of simple turn-based RPG combats with deck management decisions abstracted through path selection. Dungeon Runs take Hearthstone's base CCG, a robust genre of gameplay I already enjoy on its own, and adds a deckbuilding framework on top of it.

Most deckbuilder roguelikes are modeled more along StS lines which, while perfectly engaging in their own right, do not quite scratch that same itch for complexity or gamefeel.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

Not for a while now. These days they often just put up the games as they originally were with no updates and you need to go hunt down fan patches.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Even back at the height of their game fixing powers, GOG were a bit of a crapshoot. The GOG versions of Rainbow Six and Interstate 76 are still marked down to this day as explicitly not supporting any version of Windows post-Vista!

When they do occasionally get coaxed into fixing a game properly though, the results are pretty good. Their versions of Wheel of Time and Mortal Kombat Trilogy have worked a lot better than the fan-patched versions I've found in the past.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I wish there were mods for Outer Wilds to remove the most video gamey parts (anglerfish and the timed sand puzzles). They were by far the weakest parts of the game and create a skill floor that's not necessary at all. Most of the gamers I know IRL mainly play strategy or adventure games and I know they'd find those sections far too frustrating to navigate.

Also, just emulate Twin Snakes! Should run perfectly.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Astlibra, chapter 6 onwards, is absolutely brutal what a spike

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Thank you for all the answers re: Metal Gear Solid :tipshat: What about Metal Gear, is it necessary to play first?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

lordfrikk posted:

Thank you for all the answers re: Metal Gear Solid :tipshat: What about Metal Gear, is it necessary to play first?

no you start with snake eater so you follow the chronological timeline

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

lordfrikk posted:

No. Play them in release order and skip Twin Snakes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

No. Play them in release order and skip Twin Snakes.

Twin Snakes is the best one. :colbert:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just play them all and decide which ones are you favorites!

I particularly like 1 and 3. V is great too but that's more of a complex opinion. I think it's a weak MGS game but as a Stealth Tactical Action game it's top-notch.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

As someone who's gone way too deep into the MGS rabbit hole. I enjoy Big Boss trilogy way more than the Solid Snake trilogy, but your mileage may vary.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

lordfrikk posted:

It's probably best to, it's also the simplest so it might be a bit hard to go back to after getting used to the more complex games. You can't even walk in MGS1, only run or crawl, so you can't walk slowly on loud floors.

The MGS games are pretty short anyhow, so it's not a long commitment to start on an earlier one.

Having said all of that, MGS2 was my first and I was able to go back to MGS1 just fine. But I do recommend release order if you're planning on playing the whole series.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Propaganda Hour posted:

The annoyance from cliff racers comes down to two things: new players that get mobbed by them with a weapon skill that can't hit for poo poo, and mid- to late- game players that are trying to rest but can't because a racer is stuck on geometry somewhere nearby.

It doesn't help that there's trees and rock spikes that cliffracers get caught on all over the place. They definitely made use of the third dimension in that game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Veotax posted:

It's probably best to, it's also the simplest so it might be a bit hard to go back to after getting used to the more complex games. You can't even walk in MGS1, only run or crawl, so you can't walk slowly on loud floors.

The MGS games are pretty short anyhow, so it's not a long commitment to start on an earlier one.

Having said all of that, MGS2 was my first and I was able to go back to MGS1 just fine. But I do recommend release order if you're planning on playing the whole series.
I think they meant this Metal Gear:

In which case, no you don't need to play that first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

i would skip the Metal Gear games and go straight into Metal Gear Solid unless you really want to see how the series started