Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Arken_ca posted:

I bought a 2tb WD Blue SSD thinking I would move my smaller boot drive over to it. I cloned over the original drive using Macrium reflect but then decided I would rather just use this as a programs drive and keep my Windows install as is. Problem is disk management is not allowing me to format the new drive, and in Command Prompt as well when I try to clean the drive it says it is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot volume, even though it is not the boot drive, just a clone of it.

Is there some software that will allow me to do this?

Might be some odd situation where it's using the bootloader on the new drive, but that's loading the Windows install on the old drive? Check the BIOS and make sure the old drive has the highest boot priority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arken_ca posted:

I bought a 2tb WD Blue SSD thinking I would move my smaller boot drive over to it. I cloned over the original drive using Macrium reflect but then decided I would rather just use this as a programs drive and keep my Windows install as is. Problem is disk management is not allowing me to format the new drive, and in Command Prompt as well when I try to clean the drive it says it is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot volume, even though it is not the boot drive, just a clone of it.

Is there some software that will allow me to do this?

Two options:

1. DISKPART in an admin command line. This is the standard way to erase partitions that you can't erase with disk management, but it's a text-based program with an interface that may be confusing. Here are instructions, but you need to be sure to select the correct disk as it won't stop you from wiping the wrong drive.

2. Download WD Dashboard and use the secure erase feature.

repiv posted:

Might be some odd situation where it's using the bootloader on the new drive, but that's loading the Windows install on the old drive? Check the BIOS and make sure the old drive has the highest boot priority

Nah it just cloned the system partitions, which disk manager won't delete even if they're not being booted.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Nah it just cloned the system partitions, which disk manager won't delete even if they're not being booted.

well that's stupid, thanks bill gates

Klyith posted:

2. Download WD Dashboard and use the secure erase feature.

Worth mentioning that some motherboards have an NVMe secure erase tool built in now, which is handier than using the manufacturer tools which usually require you to make a bootable USB drive

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's with the Disk Management MMC snap-in, anyway? If you're dealing with partitioned USB sticks or SD cards, it's an annoying piece of poo poo that often just locks up. DISKPART instead just works fine without complaining.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

well that's stupid, thanks bill gates

It's stupid, and yet, I also see why. How many people do you think would delete their EFI or recovery partitions if given the opportunity and the ability to click yes on a "are you really sure? no really, system partitions are required for your PC to function." popup?

Diskpart is low-level and pretty bulletproof, it's just hard to use. I think most people who can figure out macrium reflect can follow the instructions for diskpart, but I always throw in the warning to be careful because it's easier to make mistakes. Honestly if diskpart could label drives with their hardware ID or something it wouldn't be a problem.

repiv posted:

Worth mentioning that some motherboards have an NVMe secure erase tool built in now, which is handier than using the manufacturer tools which usually require you to make a bootable USB drive

Yeah, though the only time I've looked at one of these it had an even more confusing interface than diskpart vis-a-vis selecting the drive that you wanted to erase. Like it was by sata port number iirc. But that will vary hugely by mobo.

(I guess yet another option is making a linux boot USB and using a linux GUI-pased partition editor, which are as easy to use as disk management and will happily delete any partition. )

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

(I guess yet another option is making a linux boot USB and using a linux GUI-pased partition editor, which are as easy to use as disk management and will happily delete any partition. )

Yeah, I dual-boot anyway, but Gparted is such a handy (if dangerous) tool. When I recently used Macrium Reflect to clone my PCIe 3.0 nvme 1TB to a PCIe 4.0 nvme 2TB it didn't expand the cloned partition to fill the whole drive, and Windows disk management was being all weird about letting me grow it there. Using Gparted it was a couple of clicks and done.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Are there any decent 1TB+ 2242 sized SSDs?

E: looks like this exists, but not in my market: https://sabrent.com/products/sb-1342-2tb (Nordics)

Kivi fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 12, 2022

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kivi posted:

Are there any decent 1TB+ 2242 sized SSDs?

E: looks like this exists, but not in my market: https://sabrent.com/products/sb-1342-2tb (Nordics)

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=m+2+2242...sl_2pxarcm5c3_e

I'm seeing some sabrents and Samsung's, micron, and a few others.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If anyone wanted to play with Optane for whatever reason before it’s gone forever, the firesale P1600X’s are back in stock and even cheaper at the moment, at $66 for the 118Gb model. I picked one up purely to goof with as a boot drive.

https://www.newegg.com/intel-optane-ssd-p1600x-118gb/p/1Z4-009F-00621

Wendell had a video on some things you can do with the stuff if you are much more hardcore than I am:

https://youtu.be/mD6i2toN7lE

Cygni fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 13, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cygni posted:

If anyone wanted to play with Optane for whatever reason before it’s gone forever, the firesale P1600X’s are back in stock and even cheaper at the moment, at $66 for the 118Gb model. I picked one up purely to goof with as a boot drive.

https://www.newegg.com/intel-optane-ssd-p1600x-118gb/p/1Z4-009F-00621

Wendell had a video on some things you can do with the stuff if you are much more hardcore than I am:

https://youtu.be/mD6i2toN7lE

Unless you're using it for the sort of things Wendell is talking about -- a caching drive for a big high-use ZFS NAS, database work, ML, or whatever -- it's not a good buy even at that price.

A 500 GB PCIe 4 drive is $80, isn't limited by being PCIe 3, and has enough space for more than just an OS.

Optane is really great at what is does, but what it does just isn't a big deal if you aren't doing something pretty heavy.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
For most people a 980 pro will destroy the Optanes. Most people being not-data centers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Would these 1600X be decent to put in something like a Synology DS720+ NAS? It has provisions for two M.2 drives.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've actually been planning on using an optane in my personal computer. The write endurance is what I would need. I use Internet Download Manager on my PC to download large files over 4gb on my PC since chrome seems to have issues with them. Let's me download at max speeds, but it works by downloading different pieces of the files and stitches them all together afterwards. I need the extra write endurance for the first part of the process that way I'm not spending double writes to stitch the files back together on my main drive. Even just a 64gb would be enough for me to use.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are you actually doing enough that consumer write endurance is a concern? How many of these files are you downloading every day?

I’m not trying to talk you out of Optane or anything, but I uninstall and reinstall 30GB Steam games with reckless abandon and have never thought about exceeding the write limits, because I’m not running a busy database on it 24x7.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Are you actually doing enough that consumer write endurance is a concern? How many of these files are you downloading every day?

I’m not trying to talk you out of Optane or anything, but I uninstall and reinstall 30GB Steam games with reckless abandon and have never thought about exceeding the write limits, because I’m not running a busy database on it 24x7.

I believe they're 850 evos with a write endurance of 150tbw. Just last month I did 500gb of downloads and this past 3 days I did 100gb. I can easily do 1tb in a month and have done so on many occasions. I understand that still is like 5 years of write endurance if I'm just doing 1tb a month and it'll probably fail prematurely before I even hit the write endurance, but the way my downloads work is that it's written to the drive twice once to download, once to stitch back together.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SlayVus posted:

I believe they're 850 evos with a write endurance of 150tbw. Just last month I did 500gb of downloads and this past 3 days I did 100gb. I can easily do 1tb in a month and have done so on many occasions. I understand that still is like 5 years of write endurance if I'm just doing 1tb a month and it'll probably fail prematurely before I even hit the write endurance, but the way my downloads work is that it's written to the drive twice once to download, once to stitch back together.

Interesting, that’s a fair bit of write traffic!

I wonder why the downloader doesn’t put the data into the right place in the file as it’s being pulled down. I guess that would be a little more complicated, and maybe doesn’t matter to enough people.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Those 850 EVOs are pretty old-hat when it comes to write endurance, 600TBW is typical in even cheap mid-range 1TB drives now

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 16, 2022

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

if money is a minor concern then you can buy an enterprise level drive. 100 DWPD with Optane is insane but you can get a nice 4-8TB enterprise TLC drive from one of the main vendors and drive that into the ground. 100% media wear is just the warranty but typically they can go way past that. I've seen some saturate the media wear counter and still keep going without errors

Also note the insane Optane endurance is on the enterprise (and not enterprise boot) line of stuff. I think some napkin math I did had the 128GB optane boot drive having effectively the same endurance as a 1TB tlc enterprise drive

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 16, 2022

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Are there any known issues with Samsung 980 Pro's right now? Mine seems to be on the way out (only 11 TBW on a 2 TB drive, but available space is at 99%, media errors at 30+, and I hit a bad sector earlier today so currently running a full scan) and wondering if there's anything I should be on the lookout during the RMA process (ie. known bad firmware versions).

Falcorum fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 8, 2023

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

I can't relate anything beyond my personal experience, but my 980 Pro got bad sectors, rma'd, and replacement has bad sectors too now. Switching motherboards stopped them from increasing and stopped the crashing, so I'm not inclined to blame the ssd entirely. Definitely scan the whole drive for bad sectors before using it, keep it backed up, etc.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Aquila posted:

I can't relate anything beyond my personal experience, but my 980 Pro got bad sectors, rma'd, and replacement has bad sectors too now. Switching motherboards stopped them from increasing and stopped the crashing, so I'm not inclined to blame the ssd entirely. Definitely scan the whole drive for bad sectors before using it, keep it backed up, etc.

Thanks, I guess I'll keep an eye on the replacement's status and hope for the best. Can't say whether this could be weird motherboard issues causing it since this is the first time I used a NVME drive in this system, but at this point it wouldn't surprise me.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Aquila posted:

You guys are freaking me out. Got a 2TB right now, with all the firmware updates.. Using a z790 mobo.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Smyths (the toy shop) have marked down the 1TB "Surefire Gaming Bunker SSD" to £40.

Picked one up on the theory that if it's me , it'll be a fast usb stick for my girlfriend to distribute videos of she takes of folks playing music, if it's decent, it might be a candidate to replace the HDD in her PC.

Shucked, it's a Verbatim Vi550, which apparently is a DRAM-less drive running a Phision S11 and 3d TLC.

ed:
for anyone who desperately wants to know:

code:
v0.842a
Drive: 2(USB)
Model: Vi550 S3 SSD                            
Fw   : SBFMP1.3
Size : 976762 MB
Firmware lock supported [A9 00 01 01]
Drive unlocked [A9 00 01 03]
P/N  : 511-201211237   , SBSMP1.2
S11fw: SBFMP1.3, 2020Oct21
S11rv: MP1.3-82
Bank00: 0x9b,0xc4,0x49,0x25,0x10,0x0,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv2-64L TLC 16k 512Gb/CE 256Gb/die 2Plane/die
Bank01: 0x9b,0xc4,0x49,0x25,0x10,0x0,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv2-64L TLC 16k 512Gb/CE 256Gb/die 2Plane/die
Bank02: 0x9b,0xc4,0x49,0x25,0x10,0x0,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv2-64L TLC 16k 512Gb/CE 256Gb/die 2Plane/die
Bank03: 0x9b,0xc4,0x49,0x25,0x10,0x0,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv2-64L TLC 16k 512Gb/CE 256Gb/die 2Plane/die
Bank04: 0x9b,0xc4,0x49,0x25,0x10,0x0,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv2-64L TLC 16k 512Gb/CE 256Gb/die 2Plane/die
Bank05: 0x9b,0xc4,0x49,0x25,0x10,0x0,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv2-64L TLC 16k 512Gb/CE 256Gb/die 2Plane/die
Bank06: 0x9b,0xc4,0x49,0x25,0x10,0x0,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv2-64L TLC 16k 512Gb/CE 256Gb/die 2Plane/die
Bank07: 0x9b,0xc4,0x49,0x25,0x10,0x0,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv2-64L TLC 16k 512Gb/CE 256Gb/die 2Plane/die
Bank08: 0x9b,0xc4,0x49,0x25,0x10,0x0,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv2-64L TLC 16k 512Gb/CE 256Gb/die 2Plane/die
Bank09: 0x9b,0xc4,0x49,0x25,0x10,0x0,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv2-64L TLC 16k 512Gb/CE 256Gb/die 2Plane/die
Bank10: 0x9b,0xc4,0x49,0x25,0x10,0x0,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv2-64L TLC 16k 512Gb/CE 256Gb/die 2Plane/die
Bank11: 0x9b,0xc4,0x49,0x25,0x10,0x0,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv2-64L TLC 16k 512Gb/CE 256Gb/die 2Plane/die
Bank12: 0x9b,0xc4,0x49,0x25,0x10,0x0,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv2-64L TLC 16k 512Gb/CE 256Gb/die 2Plane/die
Bank13: 0x9b,0xc4,0x49,0x25,0x10,0x0,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv2-64L TLC 16k 512Gb/CE 256Gb/die 2Plane/die
Bank14: 0x9b,0xc4,0x49,0x25,0x10,0x0,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv2-64L TLC 16k 512Gb/CE 256Gb/die 2Plane/die
Bank15: 0x9b,0xc4,0x49,0x25,0x10,0x0,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv2-64L TLC 16k 512Gb/CE 256Gb/die 2Plane/die
Controller    : PS3111
Flash CE      : 16
Flash Channel : 2
Dram Size,MB  : 32
Flash CE Mask : [++++++++ ++++++++]
Flash Mode/Clk: 5/7 (Set 5/7)
Block per Die : 2012
Block per CE  : 4024
Page per Block: 1152
SLC Cache     : 786432(0xc0000)

ONFI      : YMTC         YMN08TE1W00C3B (2020-37) [0021]
Page size : 18432 (16384+2048)
Page/Block: 1152
Block/LUN : 2012
LUN/Chip  : 1
Bit/Cell  : 3 (TLC)
Endurance : 3000
PlanAdrBit: 1 (2 plane)

MaxBBPerPlane : 49
Plane         : 2
Wait, it has DRAM, then? :confuoot:

OEM'd by whoever makes Gigabyte's drives, it looks like.

Ed: oooooooh. Okay. This is NOT something you want your system running on directly.
Unknown if caused by DRAM or controller issues, but there's a known issue that can rarely end up with the controller going into panic mode and reporting the drive as "SATAFIRM S11".
Looks like the only way to drag it back to reality causes data to be wiped.
Plan B it is! Set the thing up with primocache in-front of the HDD. No data at risk, major speed gain.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 16, 2023

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Yeah, that's DRAM-less, there's just a bit of memory on the controller.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Aye yo and a happy new year, mates from the SSD thread. I seek your wisdom about buying a new M2 SSD for general storage cause i dont like bulky stuff in my PC.

Is there anything wrong with a Crucial P3 Plus SSD 4TB, M.2? Amazon lists it for 300€, which seems quite ok for that size.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kerbtree posted:

Ed: oooooooh. Okay. This is NOT something you want your system running on directly.
Unknown if caused by DRAM or controller issues, but there's a known issue that can rarely end up with the controller going into panic mode and reporting the drive as "SATAFIRM S11".
Looks like the only way to drag it back to reality causes data to be wiped.

There are plenty of dram-less ssds out there that don't have self destruct problems, so it's absolutely controller.

OTOH all that SATAFIRM S11 stuff is like, I don't know that I'd actually be very scared of it. That controller is gonna be in millions of drives out there, and it seems to fail that way in pretty small numbers. If I had one I don't think I'd call it so un-trustworthy that it had to be purely volatile storage. Any drive can fail, have backups.

AutismVaccine posted:

Aye yo and a happy new year, mates from the SSD thread. I seek your wisdom about buying a new M2 SSD for general storage cause i dont like bulky stuff in my PC.

Is there anything wrong with a Crucial P3 Plus SSD 4TB, M.2? Amazon lists it for 300€, which seems quite ok for that size.

Nope. It's a QLC drive but that works fine for general storage, game installs, etc.

If you have several TB of data that you'll be transferring onto it on the day you install it, it may take a while after the first ~TB. That's a drive that gets super-slow when the write cache is exhausted. But that's a one-time pain.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Which tool can dump this NAND geometry info?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does anyone use SanDisk ArmorLock SSDs?
I've just had a second SanDisk ArmorLock 4TB SSD fail on me in the space of about two months and was wondering if anyone else had uses these drives and had similar issues. I only started using them about a year ago and now both of them are having issues where file-paths start to get messed up in Premiere, and files that should be in folders aren't appearing in Finder. They were over €600 each so to have them fail so quickly is massively disappointing.
I'm not writing much to them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I've just had a second SanDisk ArmorLock 4TB SSD fail on me in the space of about two months and was wondering if anyone else had uses these drives and had similar issues. I only started using them about a year ago and now both of them are having issues where file-paths start to get messed up in Premiere, and files that should be in folders aren't appearing in Finder.

This seems... questionable as to whether it is a failure of the SSD or something else. Especially if two of them in a row have failed. If a drive is gonna start failing, it's not gonna mess up file paths. You're gonna have read or write errors, so a file will be there and when you try to interact with it everything grinds to a halt as the drive starts churning errors.

Macs evidently have a "Disk Utility" that can show you basic SMART info, that will tell you if the drive itself is reporting errors. Looks like there's a system log app that you can look though as well?

Though the other thing that sounds like, is that when I've seen articles about "I bought an obvious counterfeit SSD for fun", they commonly say that the drives will act kinda like that. They pretend to write data but when you exceed the actual capacity they just dump it on the floor. And because the filesystem metadata is stored at the front of a volume, you can still see lists of files that don't exist.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Amazon's selling a TeamGroup 4TB PCI 3.0 drive for $260: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Z7LN8NM

Phison E12 controller, DRAM-cached, five year warranty. Could be $199 in six months, or another earthquake might happen and send it back into the $350 realm. Who knows. :shrug:

Also, 2TB SK Hynix PCIe 4.0 drive is down to $182 (it was $208 back in August): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QVD9V7R

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 25, 2023

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

SlayVus posted:

FWIW, other than some enterprise-aimed drives and ones made by Intel which intentionally lock the moment you cross the TBW warranty line, most SSDs that have been tested have been able to last considerably longer than their stated TBW numbers. https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=19193.0, for example, suggests that a 500GB 850 EVO is likely good out to ~300TBW. So even at 1TB/mo, that'd be 25 years.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I’ve saturated the media wear counter on an enterprise drive and still ran with no bad blocks

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.pugetsystems.com/support/guides/critical-samsung-ssd-firmware-update/

Samsung 980 Pros are crashing and getting stuck in read-only mode, update your firmware to avoid it

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

repiv posted:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/support/guides/critical-samsung-ssd-firmware-update/

Samsung 980 Pros are crashing and getting stuck in read-only mode, update your firmware to avoid it

I think that was the firmware version I was using before mine started crapping out with bad blocks too :thumbsup:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
What if we don’t have a 2TB and it’s in a PS5 and would be a pain in the rear end to move around

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Puget only noticed it on 2TB drives but the statement they got from Samsung advised that all 980 Pros should be updated :shrug:

the stakes are low with a PS5 drive though, if your saves are on the internal storage/cloud then the worst case is you have to redownload some games

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

repiv posted:

I have moved Samsung from Top Tier to "Okay but make a post first." They can't keep creating "Your card will loving die" levels of problems and remain highly recommended. Not in consumer spaces where you can't expect the same level of proactive device patching provided by enterprise class support personnel.

Someone who is attentive to tech news can buy 'em, but someone who just wants to build a system and never look back is liable to get screwed by Samsung's lack of software quality control. We ain't tolerating that risk here.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 7, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Samsung is the same megacorp that lost their phone platform keys because, rather than putting that poo poo in a lockdown HSM like you might expect an enormous mega corporation with unlimited resources to do, they just had it lying around on random systems.

I know that it is an extremely large company and that its many product divisions are rather independent, but at a high level something is wrong with their corporate governance in a way that stands out even in late stage capitalist society.

We can ignore the problem with Samsung as a company and still, I believe, conclude that enough drive loss & severe performance impairment problems have emerged in recent history that we just cannot blindly recommend them anymore. At least other drives will work.

It isn't 2014 anymore. There's a ton of good manufacturers out there now. Why force one particular shoe on a foot when it just doesn't fit nicely? Why settle for Okay when Good is abundant?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 7, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah I have 3 Samsung drives but I just grabbed a WD 850x to switch my system drive off the 970 Evo plus. I’m done with them and their inexplicably high prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Potato Salad posted:

Samsung is the same megacorp that lost their phone platform keys because, rather than putting that poo poo in a lockdown HSM like you might expect an enormous mega corporation with unlimited resources to do, they just had it lying around on random systems.

I know that it is an extremely large company and that its many product divisions are rather independent, but at a high level something is wrong with their corporate governance in a way that stands out even in late stage capitalist society.

We can ignore the problem with Samsung as a company and still, I believe, conclude that enough drive loss & severe performance impairment problems have emerged in recent history that we just cannot blindly recommend them anymore. At least other drives will work.

It isn't 2014 anymore. There's a ton of good manufacturers out there now. Why force one particular shoe on a foot when it just doesn't fit nicely? Why settle for Okay when Good is abundant?

As someone with a 0-2 record with Samsung drives and the lost data to show for it, thank you.