Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Volte posted:

I think they meant this Metal Gear:

In which case, no you don't need to play that first.

metal gear 2 is actually sick but you do need a toleration for weird early 90s Japanese PC games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

What about Snake's Revenge?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

metal gear 2 is actually sick but you do need a toleration for weird early 90s Japanese PC games
Some parts put Adventure Game Logic to shame and I love that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Don't forget Metal Gear Ac!d.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I heard a lot of good things about Intravenous, it looks like a mashup of old Metal Gear and Hotline Miami.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Volte posted:

The music instantly popped into my head when I looked at this screenshot.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I finished both Ac!ds, I wonder how they hold up to Modern Deckbuilding games.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in a weird coincidence my friend just showed me the copy of metal gear solid for the game boy color he rigged up a something or other to play it on. i told him to have fun with the conveyor belt maze.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Volte posted:

Oh yeah, fair enough. The original two Metal Gear games are barely canon anyway. Only the rough outline of those games matter, there's a bunch of stuff in Metal Gear 2 that seems like it would be super important to the series in the future that never gets brought up again.

Similar to Portable Ops, there is only one reference to that game in the games that came afterwards, and it's just a super dismissive line in the tutorial of Peace Walker.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Metal Gear games and the US Metal Gear games are very rough. Instead of colored keys to colored doors, you have numbered keycards and plenty of inventory swapping all the time. You might enjoy if you like to play slow games and methodically advancing.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i should try (Metal Gear) Acid again. Bounced hard off of it when it came out cause i was a dumb kid that wanted "real" Metal Gear and not some turn-based bs. Nowadays, I might be able to better appreciate it. I bet it emulates well

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

is there a way to have games installed through steam show up on the windows installed apps list so i can easily sort by install size? I know you can do it through the steam app itself, but i want to be able to sort the size amongst the other installed apps alongside gamepass etc.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ughhhh posted:

is there a way to have games installed through steam show up on the windows installed apps list so i can easily sort by install size? I know you can do it through the steam app itself, but i want to be able to sort the size amongst the other installed apps alongside gamepass etc.

I use WizTree to see the size of everything I have installed.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ughhhh posted:

you can use playnite for this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you dont play Metal Gear 2 at least watch the intro which is totally sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEcqLrvIZko

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I like how no one even mentioned Metal Gear PoOps. Peace Walker was just "what if that, but better." Anyways put Peace walker somewhere in your MGS playing it's pretty good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nancy posted:

I like how no one even mentioned Metal Gear PoOPs. Peace Walker was just "what if that, but better." Anyways put Peace walker somewhere in your MGS playing it's pretty good.

Portable Ops is not really canon and Kojima was barely involved in it's production.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Right, PoOps sucks don't play it.

The Ac!ds are worth it though for sure

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There are like two references to Portable Ops in the canon games, one screenshot of a cutscene from the game appears somewhere in one of MGS4's slideshow things they used instead of stock footage in that game, and a super dismissive line at the start of Peace Walker "Now we can put all that crap in San Hironimo behind us", or something like that.

You can easily count it as not canon without having to make much of an excuse.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you can use playnite for this

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I use WizTree to see the size of everything I have installed.

drat, was hoping there was just some option within steam that I was missing. Will try those out thanks!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ughhhh posted:

drat, was hoping there was just some option within steam that I was missing. Will try those out thanks!

you can sort steam games by install size in the client itself

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
The sanctity of Metal Gear canon

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

The sanctity of Metal Gear canon

Nah, it's not even that. It's just the story is bad and doesn't matter to the later games, so if you're looking to play all of the games, you can easily skip Portable Ops.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

metal gear poops

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

play mgs1/2/3/4/5 because they're cool and fun

you don't need to play MG nes games or any of the portable crap to enjoy the whole shebang

there is a decent amount of story that leads right from peacewalker into mgs5, but you can look up a summary of that, if you were going to play them all in a row, going from mgs 3/4 to PW instead of 5 would suck rear end

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Metal Gear Rising is also very fun

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if you dont play Metal Gear 2 at least watch the intro which is totally sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEcqLrvIZko

also you should play metal gear 2 because the game that follows the intro is also sick

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

kazil posted:

Metal Gear Rising is also very fun

my shame is eternal

yeah play this after 4 if you dig on character action games

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Isn't Ghost Babel supposed to be pretty good, if non-essential?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ghost Babel is a really good game in the style of the MSX games, completely non-canon though, if the story is all you care about.
It's basically an alternate sequel to Metal Gear 2, instead of Metal Gear Solid.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Metal Gear 2 for the MSX is included in a few editions of MGS3 (such as the HD port), and it's a game where you fight an octogenarian trying to choke your dude from behind. It's a boss fight, and a puzzle, because none of your attacks hit backwards.
It's got many QoL improvements most players only saw in MGS1, like the radar. It's also the beginning of Kojima's recycling of the series' plot elements.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

I wish so badly I could play these again on something that isn’t a PSP

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

victrix posted:

play mgs1/2/3/4/5 because they're cool and fun

you don't need to play MG nes games or any of the portable crap to enjoy the whole shebang

there is a decent amount of story that leads right from peacewalker into mgs5, but you can look up a summary of that, if you were going to play them all in a row, going from mgs 3/4 to PW instead of 5 would suck rear end

Peace Walker is great and I wouldnt skip it if I were doing a series playthrough. Ya, its a portable game, but they packed a lot of new and cool ideas that would return in full-force for V

Going 3->PW->V would be pretty good, if one were willing to dedicate the time

man nurse posted:

I wish so badly I could play these again on something that isn’t a PSP

does it not emulate well with PPSSPP?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I can’t believe everyone forgot Survive!

(I can believe it…)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Stickman posted:

I can’t believe everyone forgot Survive!

(I can believe it…)

Survive is interesting, and I say this having played Phantom Pain and Survive both in the last few months. Its biggest problem is that it was clearly made on a budget and so after about the 2/3rds mark it has to streeeeeeeetch its reused assets out. But MGSurvive managed to take "you're powerless and fighting for every little victory" and make it play extremely well as opposed to how incredibly angry I get every time I think about the tutorial/guardrails opening mission of MGSV. Survive had me fleeing for my life desperate to reach air and didn't piss me off in the process.

Then you get to the point where timers or mission lengths rocket the hell up and suddenly, you know what, I think I'm good, this post-game can stop now.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i liked Survive but I also played it at the same time as my other friends and we had fun with the coop

it would be a lovely MGS game if played solo

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
That's not the first time I've heard somebody say something to the effect of "Metal Gear Survive is actually pretty okay" but my only recollection of the marketing is watching a player whack a gaggle of zombies(?) with a pole over and over again, and maybe construct some sort of small barrier that the zombies couldn't figure out how to circumvent so the player could whack them through the barrier over and over again. Also something about an incessant hunger/thirst/exhaustion meter.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Some people tried to paint it as "the entire game is you just building a fence and then poking zombies through it with a pole" but that's something you do in, like, your first fight before you get better weapons.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
People got real mad they couldn't get yet another Kojima movie with gameplay and it included creepy, screamy things that no one would ever buy these days, until...

They made Survive much easier over time and you are wasting time fighting anything at the start since upgrades are progress gated. Still a lot of fun for a zombie game and the co-op stuff was great too if uneven in dealing out rewards.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Triarii posted:

Some people tried to paint it as "the entire game is you just building a fence and then poking zombies through it with a pole" but that's something you do in, like, your first fight before you get better weapons.

there were a number of negative reviews around launch from people who bought it hoping for a metal gear game, got to that point, and then dropped it out of disgust before going any further