Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

readingatwork posted:

This world didn't deserve Neo Yokio or it's big Toblerone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68y7byyWZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_gofMT48h8

what the gently caress is this show lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I kept waiting for them to break into the "I'm at soup!" skit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They only wish they could come up with something as dumb as a PurpleEyesWTF sketch.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Flopsy posted:

I could've sworn I saw a lovely off brand western anime that featured Will Smith's son but I might of hallucinated it.

Edit: oh right neo yokio

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Warbird posted:

Oh you can just go nominate the new Velma show for us. We all just adore it and have multiple pages of discussion on all of aspects of the show.

That's for the 2023 thread, silly.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

7a. References are jokes. Things existing is funny.

7b. If you reference something, make sure to spell it out clearly so everyone understands where it comes from. In the age of storytelling-by-wiki, nothing is more harrowing than a TV show referencing something you haven't seen yet!

"Peter and Lois at the aquarium" is the same exact thing as "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra." Meaningless if you don't know the reference.

I'm so tired of reference humor. Like half of the jokes in Deadpool 2 were, "Remember that part from the first movie?" Deadpool 3 will have two movie's worth of jokes to pull from, and they were only ever funny the first time.

About western animation: I didn't see a thread for Puss in Boots Last Wish, but holy poo poo that movie surprised me. If I had seen it in the theater as high as I was last night watching it at home I might have pissed myself.

F E A R

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Waffle! posted:

"Peter and Lois at the aquarium" is the same exact thing as "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra." Meaningless if you don't know the reference.

I'm so tired of reference humor. Like half of the jokes in Deadpool 2 were, "Remember that part from the first movie?" Deadpool 3 will have two movie's worth of jokes to pull from, and they were only ever funny the first time.

About western animation: I didn't see a thread for Puss in Boots Last Wish, but holy poo poo that movie surprised me. If I had seen it in the theater as high as I was last night watching it at home I might have pissed myself.

F E A R

It's been brought up a few times in the general animation thread. It's fuckin awesome. The wolf kicks rear end

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I watched the first 2 eps of Velma last night and I'm okay to stop here. The animation is fantastic and a lot of work went into it. But the writing is just so bad. I thought it was hyperbole that Fred's dick size would be a joke. Nope, it's actually a plot point for half an episode! Overall, it feels like another show where the writing and direction is set up just to harvest gifs for twitter. So many moments where there's a Family Guy-esque one-off joke and then back to the rest of the episode.

@discussingFilm mentioned that HBO has paperwork ready for a second season. But then animation twitter has the artists posting about how grateful they were to work on the show and glad they were given the opportunity to animate the more fluid scenes. I don't often see that so it feels like the internal metrics at WBD showed the show isn't getting a second season unless follow-through rates are stellar.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Neo Yokio was an anime parody (made in the US) about a rich dipshit exorcist who's biggest ambitions revolve around impressing other rich dipshits who hate him. I unironically love it and I don't think I've ever seen a show where so much of the audience just completely missed the point.

If I recall correctly most of the criticisms of it revolved around:

1) The show looked and sounded like a bad anime that got translated by a worse dubbing company
2) The main character was an unlikable piece of human garbage
3) The show made absolutely baffling decisions constantly
4) Jaden Smith's voice acting, lmao

But here's the thing, I'm pretty sure all of that was completely intentional. When you lose your mind because a major character beat just revolved around an awkward piece of product placement I'm pretty sure that that's exactly what the show was going for. It's trying to replicate that weird awkward feeling you get watching Garzey's Wing or The Ghost Stories Dub and it nails it imo.

NY also got a lot of poo poo for being classist which is just completely baffling to me considering it so clearly despises the rich. Hellena's speech in the Big Toblerone clip is actually pretty representative of the show's outlook on the subject and Jaden Smith's attempts to make it to the top of a best dressed list or to create a new club drink are consistently treated as vapid and shallow. In the end I think this one boiled down to a lot of people having difficulty with the idea that sometimes you're *supposed* to hate the protagonist and that their actions don't necessarily represent what the series considers "good".

Basically, imagine the show had premiered on Adult Swim at 2am and suddenly it makes a whole lot more sense. Unfortunately it went to Netflix and just sort of appeared one day with no context so most people had no loving idea what they were supposed to do with it. Which is a shame because I think NY is low key kind of brilliant and had a lot of potential that was wasted.

Or maybe I'm just reading a deeper meaning into Em Malley poetry, idk. Either way I thought it was funny,

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 16, 2023

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtnQ5cIHGHE

The Lackadaisy short should be coming out in March, I'm excited for it

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

readingatwork posted:

[words about neo yokio]

This is completely my feelings on it, and I think trying to contextualize it as "2am Adult Swim" is brilliant

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Neo Yokio was an anime parody (made in the US) about a rich dipshit exorcist who's biggest ambitions revolve around impressing other rich dipshits who hate him. I unironically love it and I don't think I've ever seen a show where so much of the audience just completely missed the point.

1) The show looked and sounded like a bad anime that got translated by a worse dubbing company

But here's the thing, I'm pretty sure all of that was completely intentional. When you lose your mind because a major character beat just revolved around an awkward piece of product placement I'm pretty sure that that's exactly what the show was going for. It's trying to replicate that weird awkward feeling you get watching Garzey's Wing or The Ghost Stories Dub and it nails it imo.

NY also got a lot of poo poo for being classist which is just completely baffling to me considering it so clearly despises the rich. Hellena's speech in the Big Toblerone clip is actually pretty representative of the show's outlook on the subject and Jaden Smith's attempts to make it to the top of a best dressed list or to create a new club drink are consistently treated as vapid and shallow. In the end I think this one boiled down to a lot of people having difficulty with the idea that sometimes you're *supposed* to hate the protagonist and that their actions don't necessarily represent what the series considers "good".

Basically, imagine the show had premiered on Adult Swim at 2am and suddenly it makes a whole lot more sense. Unfortunately it went to Netflix and just sort of appeared one day with no context so most people had no loving idea what they were supposed to do with it. Which is a shame because I think NY is low key kind of brilliant and had a lot of potential that was wasted.

Or maybe I'm just reading a deeper meaning into Em Malley poetry, idk. Either way I thought it was funny,

The thing is without context everything you just described comes across as sincere. As in we're supposed to like this character and sympathize with him etc. The whole thing was just so badly implemented it's not as though right off the bat you're going to get through the weirdness long enough to recognize the satire.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

readingatwork posted:

Not gonna lie I was won over by this other clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMBLntBrOPc

The punchline is legit funny to me.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not gonna lie I was won over by this other clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMBLntBrOPc

The punchline is legit funny to me.

Lmao looks like I misjudged it.

Also is that the lady who voiced Nico from
DMCV ad that skull at the end?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

readingatwork posted:

Awkward anime dubs from the 90s/early 00s are actually very charming and I enjoyed Neo Yokio emulating that although that’s probably just my nostalgia taking

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
This is by far my favorite joke from Neo Yokio (Context: Kaz suspects one of his teachers of being a demon worshipper and has followed him to what appears to be a demonic chapel):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4x2WtTmBXc

In fact, the only thing better than Neo Yokio is the Neo Yokio Christmas Special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbYmfdpOU80

The revelation that the "demons" are actually the indigenous population of Neo Yokio, who had their land stolen from them was genuinely cool.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 16, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Neo Yokio is quite funny and I think being on Adult Swim instead of Netflix would have benefitted it much better

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/ComicLoverMari/status/1615126487807434753

well thats one way to have scooby.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

He's gonna use the dog as a replacement when they break up and he's gonna gently caress the dog isn't he?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Diabetic posted:

He's gonna use the dog as a replacement when they break up and he's gonna gently caress the dog isn't he?

probably, i am also sure the dog wont be able to talk which will make it more "fun"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ruh-roh.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Why the gently caress did they use Scooby Doo? They clearly didn't want to make a Scooby Doo show.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Why the gently caress did they use Scooby Doo? They clearly didn't want to make a Scooby Doo show.

Because the Amazing Chan and Chan Clan storyboard they did was even more cringy

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cemetry Gator posted:

Kaling couldn't sell a Riverdale spoof called 'Streamville' I guess.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

They didn’t want to. WB made the green light contingent on reworking their idea for the scooby doo IP and now everyone’s miserable

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

They didn’t want to. WB made the green light contingent on reworking their idea for the scooby doo IP and now everyone’s miserable
Yeah this and the "but WB also wouldn't let them use the titular character Scooby Doo because that's the character most appealing to children" theories based on rumors and hearsay have a lot of explanatory power for how this came to be

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

F.D. Signifier posted:

Yeah this and the "but WB also wouldn't let them use the titular character Scooby Doo because that's the character most appealing to children" theories based on rumors and hearsay have a lot of explanatory power for how this came to be

yeah, who knows. id be curious to hear the full story come out at some point,. give it a couple months or so.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Who the gently caress is this show’s target demo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Investors.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sockser posted:

Accountants so that they can claim a juicy tax write off when all Scooby Doo media gets oublietted.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Sockser posted:

There was an old joke from somebody about the Battleship movie as the highwater mark for dumb Hollywood bullshit. Some coked up guy shouting about how combining the massive brand recognition of Battleship with Rihanna's fans/following guaranteed that you'd have a hit. No shade or discussion of the movie, just what came to mind.

Hardly anyone wants to accept pitches for original shows right now and animation is getting killed everywhere, so here we are. Honestly not sure why she didn't just try for some Nancy Drew thing though. Gender-swapped Hardy Boys. I guess Riverdale must have sad no but there had to be better ways.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

This was deleted by the time I clicked the link. I shudder to ask but what was it?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh turns out that's not scooby.

https://twitter.com/ComicLoverMari/status/1615157978965094401?s=20&t=RmSE-ma9pvBbtuVHa-m8-Q

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 17, 2023

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The fact we believed it at first sniff should be judgement enough.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It does feel like what they would consider :airquote:subversion:airquote:.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Gigi is short for Gscooby Gdoo

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Mindy Kaling can gently caress off

https://twitter.com/bizzybee429/status/1613376344297029632?s=20&t=rzIlY_O2OGs2mqQmvqxEIg

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Takes skill to be so loving hateful you manage to piss everybody and everything off. I just watched a video review for Velma btw and Jesus loving Christ. Velma is in fact racist as poo poo and every other line is chunkily explaining things to the audience like we're braindead meat with eyes who can't grasp these higher truths she's spinning for us. Also i don't know if this has been discussed but there's something about the art style that makes all the characters look kinda of sharp and unhinged. Like they're one step away from violence which I guess most of them are?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I think publishing an autobiography when you're 30 about your mid-20s is premature. But I'm not a big name in Hollywood so what do i know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

AmbientParadox posted:

I think publishing an autobiography when you're 30 about your mid-20s is premature. But I'm not a big name in Hollywood so what do i know!

tbf Jeanette McCurdy's book is really really really good