Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Corbyn's an Arsenal supporter so I bet this is the one thing he tried to keep from his time in leadership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

LOL what a great understanding of football fans from this man of the people

He is not driven by football ideology, he is a practical man who just likes common sense things like Arsenal.

(i also do not know anything about football, is it a rangers/celtic thing?)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

he likes arsenal because it reminds him of weapons, that can be used to kill

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

Also he is an arse

*hignfy audience laughs*

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

It's also pretty hilarious that he's telling Spurs fans to support a rival team, all things considered. Could be thought of as anti-Semitic, even.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/kevinaschofield/status/1615033957611081728?s=46&t=As9tgbtKzY_7KJrNOsmwMA

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

The Perfect Element posted:

No doubt this just one bad apple. Lessons will be learnt, now let's all move on.
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1615005120034381825

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

kinda like facing down the unions, feels like something in the bracket of "things the current government totally reckons it can do" that are going to go swimmingly

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Just popping in to say gently caress this shithole country. Jesus loving Christ I’ve had enough of us as a people. What on earth has happened to us.

Edit: even more depressing that I have to clarify but it’s the Scottish gender bill thing, amongst all the other absolutely awful poo poo on the news

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sanford posted:

Just popping in to say gently caress this shithole country. Jesus loving Christ I’ve had enough of us as a people. What on earth has happened to us.

ruled the waves too long now all our brains are whale poo poo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My brain is very good, it is unfortunately the majority of other people's brains which are bad.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I guess pissing away Scotland is one way Rishi can go down as a worse PM than Truss

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Tesseraction posted:

ruled the waves too long now all our brains are whale poo poo

Seriously though I feel like I’ve had enough. Look at this for a selection of top stories.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the consistent approach is just "don't let people vote on it" which is probably going to work plenty well for sunak, it is creating problems for subsequent PMs but that is normal behaviour for them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

I guess pissing away Scotland is one way Rishi can go down as a worse PM than Truss

He'd go down as one of the best in my book

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
how are they going to try to claim this is a reserved matter

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

muffs reserved for toffs

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

"we're doing this out of respect and compassion for trans people", two days after badenoch appoints this loving sun columnist and gb news presenter as a 'policy fellow advising the government on matters of race and gender'
https://twitter.com/MercyMuroki/status/1463099580048936965

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

how are they going to try to claim this is a reserved matter

Equalities legislation is not devolved so Scotparl can't do anything to improve the lives of minorities if UK wide equality laws are actively making them worse.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Apraxin posted:

"we're doing this out of respect and compassion for trans people", two days after badenoch appoints this loving sun columnist and gb news presenter as a 'policy fellow advising the government on matters of race and gender'

Oh look a Kenyan immigrant apparently blissfully unaware that after the queers are silenced she's next, and even then she's only not a priority right now because she's been here long enough to have a British accent.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

keep punching joe posted:

Equalities legislation is not devolved so Scotparl can't do anything to improve the lives of minorities if UK wide equality laws are actively making them worse.

what part of this list does that come under https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/46/schedule/5

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Presumably 1 (c) and a giant middle finger to devolution.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
A brain of perfect smoothness:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

quote:

L2. Equal opportunities

Section L2.

Equal opportunities F105 ...

Exceptions

The encouragement (other than by prohibition or regulation) of equal opportunities, and in particular of the observance of the equal opportunity requirements.

Imposing duties on—
(a)

any office-holder in the Scottish Administration, or any Scottish public authority with mixed functions or no reserved functions, to make arrangements with a view to securing that the functions of the office-holder or authority are carried out with due regard to the need to meet the equal opportunity requirements, or
(b)

any cross-border public authority to make arrangements with a view to securing that its Scottish functions are carried out with due regard to the need to meet the equal opportunity requirements.

[F106Equal opportunities so far as relating to the inclusion of persons with protected characteristics in non-executive posts on boards of Scottish public authorities with mixed functions or no reserved functions.

Equal opportunities in relation to the Scottish functions of any Scottish public authority or cross-border public authority, other than any function that relates to the inclusion of persons in non-executive posts on boards of Scottish public authorities with mixed functions or no reserved functions. The provision falling within this exception does not include any modification of the Equality Act 2010, or of any subordinate legislation made under that Act, but does include—
(a)

provision that supplements or is otherwise additional to provision made by that Act;
(b)

in particular, provision imposing a requirement to take action that that Act does not prohibit;
(c)

provision that reproduces or applies an enactment contained in that Act, with or without modification, without affecting the enactment as it applies for the purposes of that Act.]

Presumably.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

"a constructive way forward that both respects devolution and the operation of UK Parliament legislation" - what the gently caress would that be other than "no reforms at all"? He's not been specific about what parts are the issue beyond it just like, affecting things (i mean of course the issue is "juicy culture war wedge"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Apraxin posted:

Oh yeah we haven't heard a peep out of Rowling and Stock.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Can't wait for Rishi to ramp up the culture war until he and Suella are both deporting each other at once and will then continue to do their jobs from India and Kenya/Mauritius.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Here's an idea - maybe they should investigate serving police officers accused of sexual offences as a matter of priority.

Or even suspend them until cleared.

Imagine if that was a similar proportion of teachers instead and they all kept working.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Congrats on the SNPs new seats I guess.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The SNP should not take their seats in my opinion. Boycott that lovely legislature like they boycott the Lords.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
In my head a lot of you live in the London commuter belt and I happen to be in a town near high Wycombe for the week so if anyone is in the area and fancies an evening drink, let me know.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

keep punching joe posted:

The SNP should not take their seats in my opinion. Boycott that lovely legislature like they boycott the Lords.

Joanna Cherry staying because it's fine actually

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Jakabite posted:

I happen to be in a town near high Wycombe for the week

Goondolences

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Miftan posted:

See also:

Blood is thicker than water. Originally: The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb

No, that is a recent fabrication. Blood is thicker than water is a very old saying that means what people think it does.

Miftan posted:

(but satisfaction brought it back)

Also newer than the 'curiosity killed the cat' part (as well as being untrue, I imagine). And all the early citations of 'great minds think alike' that I've found make no mention of fools, although that has become a regular rejoinder.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The best rejoinder to "blood is thicker than water" is "so's poo poo."

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Of all the batman villains, I can't drokking believe Mad loving Stan had the right of it this whole time.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 16, 2023

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Lady Gaza posted:

Goondolences

Thank you. I’ve ended up buying a copy of the loving new statesman because I forgot to bring my book of Cixin Liu short stories. What a sham

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

The best rejoinder to "blood is thicker than water" is "so's poo poo."

"except when I've had too many beers the night before, then it's a mixture"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Oh man if that happened to me I'd be stewing.

someone needs to get to the root cause of the issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Someone earlier said sir kier starmer, leader of the labour party, avoided saying the country would be better off if corbyn had won. Well turns out he did a poo poo job of it cos the daily mail are reporting him as having said the country would have been better had he won. What's the opposite of triangulation?