Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Angepain posted:

Going to start a band that changes at least one member every gig with a four-gig membership limit until it has featured every musician in the country

In 2015 I saw punk band Titus Andronicus 3 times in London when they were touring a new album. They introduced a new member the first show and by the 3rd had entirely changed their lineup except the front man, including the new member they'd introduced about 6 months earlier.

Always been infinitely curious about what happened there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

josh04 posted:

And do they have jobs, these droogs?

Sorry all, the answer I was looking for was in fact "No, the droogs don't work"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Angepain posted:

Going to start a band that changes at least one member every gig with a four-gig membership limit until it has featured every musician in the country
You just described The Fall.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
50,000 Fall Members Can't Be Wrong

josh04 posted:

Sorry all, the answer I was looking for was in fact "No, the droogs don't work"
If they'd been hired cash in hand at a German Christmas market for tax avoidance purposes then the owner could have claimed "No, the droogs don't work, they just make you wurst"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Did you guys or guyesses ever get into those Rock Family Trees?
I used to spend hours pouring over those.

Might treat myself to the book of those as I've got some Xmas money to spend.

I watched the TV series. Actually hearing the stories is more interesting to me than looking at pages of connections.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I remember finding it funny how Napalm Death is one of the biggest bands out there in grindcore and none of the original members are in it.

Like, they've have a consistent line up for decades but it's just that all the founding members said "gently caress it" after a couple of years.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

I remember finding it funny how Napalm Death is one of the biggest bands out there in grindcore and none of the original members are in it.

Like, they've have a consistent line up for decades but it's just that all the founding members said "gently caress it" after a couple of years.

Hell. Sides 1 & 2 of their debut record Scum have almost entirely different lineups. Side 1 is Justin Broadrick, Mick Harris & Nic Bullen, side 2 is Lee Dorrian, Bill Steer, Jim Wheatley & Mick Harris.

Side note but I think I've all those guys live except Wheatley, and none of them were with Napalm Death. Dorrian was Cathedral, Bullen was this loving weirdo behind a laptop with 2 other people behind laptops, Harris with Scorn (Bullen & Harris were at different versions of the Birmingham music festival Supersonic), Broadrick with both Godflesh & Jesu and Steer with Carcass. (I have also seen Napalm Death several times with their mostly stable since 1991 lineup of Barney, Shane, Danny & confusingly Mitch Harris, no relation to Mick Harris

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just saw this on local community group for local people

quote:

about 6.30pm, approx 6 youths throwing potatoes and carrots at property’s around Sycamore Drive.
Has this happened to you ?.
Police have been informed.

No clockwork oranges that I'm aware of.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cheaper than eggs

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I forgot Steer was in Napalm Death as well. Heartwork is probably the best British metal album of all time (yeah I'm including all those ones you're thinking of)

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Oh man if that happened to me I'd be stewing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

lmao

Still not sure if it's an expected outcome of the egg shortage or the new Tory food initiative.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

:lol:

I love inventiveness in anti social behaviour.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Status Quos book is the most unintentionally hilarious rock autobiography of all time. Rossi is the most boring man in pop and Parfitt is like an unhinged 5 year old.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

forkboy84 posted:

Hell. Sides 1 & 2 of their debut record Scum have almost entirely different lineups. Side 1 is Justin Broadrick, Mick Harris & Nic Bullen, side 2 is Lee Dorrian, Bill Steer, Jim Wheatley & Mick Harris.

Awww, that was going to be my piece of Napalm Death trivia!

Mick Harris' project Lull is excellent, he has just released a new record on Cold Spring.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Perfect Element posted:

:lol:

I love inventiveness in anti social behaviour.
Potato you might be able to crack a window if you slung it hard enough, but who goes around throwing carrots? I can't even think of a reaction to that other than 'thanks...?'

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Potato you might be able to crack a window if you slung it hard enough, but who goes around throwing carrots? I can't even think of a reaction to that other than 'thanks...?'

Must've been Clive Owen I reckon

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

Sharpen them first and you could take an eye out

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

Awww, that was going to be my piece of Napalm Death trivia!

Mick Harris' project Lull is excellent, he has just released a new record on Cold Spring.

Pretty sure I saw some proper boomer brain "send them all back" nonsense from Bullen recently, which was a shame. But the rest of the band still seen pretty decent on the whole. Certainly Shane & Barney are incredibly pleasant.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I forgot Steer was in Napalm Death as well. Heartwork is probably the best British metal album of all time (yeah I'm including all those ones you're thinking of)
Jeff Walker of Carcass also did the artwork for Scum, IIRC

I'd argue Heartwork isn't even the best Carcass album, but I'm also the guy who thinks the first 2 At The Gates records dump all over Slaughter of the Soul so I'm just not a melodeath guy. I was at one point but yeah, I like a few more rough edges on my music generally speaking. So I'd plump for Necrotism Descanting The Insalubrious, which has some of those surprisingly catchy hooky riffs from Heartwork but slightly less polish too, without being a barely-listenable mess production-wise like Reek of Putrefaction.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I'd argue Heartwork isn't even the best Carcass album, but I'm also the guy who thinks the first 2 At The Gates records dump all over Slaughter of the Soul so I'm just not a melodeath guy. I was at one point but yeah, I like a few more rough edges on my music generally speaking. So I'd plump for Necrotism Descanting The Insalubrious, which has some of those surprisingly catchy hooky riffs from Heartwork but slightly less polish too, without being a barely-listenable mess production-wise like Reek of Putrefaction.

I'm all about the polish. I never understood production that sounds intentionally bad. Sloppy playing is fine, to an extent, but if your black metal band sounds like it was recorded via Walkman headphones then nah I'm fine thanks.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I regret to advise that Keith did a phone in on LBC this morning.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

I regret to advise that Keith did a phone in on LBC this morning.

Did they bring on a Neo Nazi to agree with him on immigration again?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

They didn't have to.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Gonzo McFee posted:

They brought on a trans woman for him to patronise.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1614946482544644098

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm all about the polish. I never understood production that sounds intentionally bad. Sloppy playing is fine, to an extent, but if your black metal band sounds like it was recorded via Walkman headphones then nah I'm fine thanks.

That's the thing with Necrotism I like, it nails the sweet spot, it's not a slick melodeath record but it's still well produced. Honestly, my favourite production is "I'm not aware of the production". Some recorded on a 4 track black metal band trying to recreate the sounds of Darkthrone doing Transilvanian Hunger isn't particularly interesting to me (especially when I can just listen to Transilvanian Hunger) but then there's some rough punk demos I've heard which are much more exciting than their later records.

There's a 6 minute, 9 track demo I have from a Russian punk band called Viva La Vulva & it's one my favourite records of 2017. And I don't think they ever recorded anything else, at least not that made it to Bandcamp, but it's raw as hell & that just adds to the charm.

Feel like there's a difference between garbage production & raw production but it's one of those things that I don't really have the vocabulary to describe

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

That's the thing with Necrotism I like, it nails the sweet spot, it's not a slick melodeath record but it's still well produced. Honestly, my favourite production is "I'm not aware of the production". Some recorded on a 4 track black metal band trying to recreate the sounds of Darkthrone doing Transilvanian Hunger isn't particularly interesting to me (especially when I can just listen to Transilvanian Hunger) but then there's some rough punk demos I've heard which are much more exciting than their later records.

There's a 6 minute, 9 track demo I have from a Russian punk band called Viva La Vulva & it's one my favourite records of 2017. And I don't think they ever recorded anything else, at least not that made it to Bandcamp, but it's raw as hell & that just adds to the charm.

Feel like there's a difference between garbage production & raw production but it's one of those things that I don't really have the vocabulary to describe

Melodeath. gently caress me, extreme metal really has entered the age of the Ronco collection, hasn't it?

"Remember, 40 Golden Grindcore Melodies is not available in the shops. Call our hotline to order within 14 days and receive your free Bands That Go Wuuurrrgggh tea cosy!"

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jedit posted:

Melodeath. gently caress me, extreme metal really has entered the age of the Ronco collection, hasn't it?

"Remember, 40 Golden Grindcore Melodies is not available in the shops. Call our hotline to order within 14 days and receive your free Bands That Go Wuuurrrgggh tea cosy!"

Melodeath isn't new, goes back to like the 80s, it's a mix of Death Metal and Heavy Metal.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

No doubt this just one bad apple. Lessons will be learnt, now let's all move on.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Man, you just reminded me that Alexi Laiho passed away, leaving us with a half-finished album that showed a rekindling of his earlier songwriting chops.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

No doubt this just one bad apple. Lessons will be learnt, now let's all move on.
One bad barrel. Contains apples.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Metal is nothing if not a thousand micro-subgenre. Love my post-black metal

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Sugababes are the true Ship of Thesus of music.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
One bad apple in a barrel that's specifically designed to maintain the right temperature and humidity to ensure all the apples rot at speeds hitherto unknown in the natural world

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

EmptyVessel posted:

I hope that's a joke.
Though if it's not it might mean that the techbros all Darwin award themselves into extinction. So on reflection I'm in favour.

See also Hawkwind.
Who with the recent addition of Thighpaulsandra means that I get to see a band including members of my two favourite bands (HW and Coil).

Hah I lived next door to thighpaulsandra when I was a kid. Great guy, always used to get me free tickets to Spiritualized gigs and to festivals they played at. Glad he's doing okay.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

Sugababes are the true Ship of Thesus of music.

Jumped the shark after Mutya left tbh.

Although apparently the original trio dropped a record last year, huh. I'm curious to hear it

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

This gets me every time - the 'one bad apple' phrase seems to be taken to mean the opposite of what it originally did. It doesn't mean "there's just one bad apple, the rest are fine", it's "one bad apple spoils the bunch".

Tolerating 'the one bad apple' spreads its rot to the rest of the institution. As we see repeatedly with the police.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Did Coil ever get paid back or revenge for whoever did them wrong (err the Red Queen? album cover which is entirely devoted to 'gently caress this guy who ripped us off, so much)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Hamza_a96/status/1614919004040175616?s=19

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Red Oktober posted:

This gets me every time - the 'one bad apple' phrase seems to be taken to mean the opposite of what it originally did. It doesn't mean "there's just one bad apple, the rest are fine", it's "one bad apple spoils the bunch".

Tolerating 'the one bad apple' spreads its rot to the rest of the institution. As we see repeatedly with the police.

See also:

Blood is thicker than water. Originally: The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb
Curiosity killed the cat (but satisfaction brought it back)
Great minds think alike (but fools rarely differ)