Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Yeep posted:

Peugeot/Vauxhall have very quietly announced full electric versions of the Astra and 308 SW shipping mid-2023 for about £38k. The Astra is a bit small for a family estate but the e308 is a decent size. Range looks to be the standard Peugeot 250ish miles (i.e. not great). Reviews for the petrol version say it compares pretty poorly to an Octavia in both practicality and driving but until VAG stop pissing about with the id7 it's nice to have something between the awful MG5 and the £120k+ Porsche.

I saw the e308 on some newspapers and the main issue I've found with it is that hyper detailed front grille, which is going to be a chore to keep clean or repair in case of a parking fender bender. The rest seems the same as any current eCMP2, hopefully with a less tragic infotainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Yeah. Supercruise requires that GM LiDAR map the feeeways to work. So at least it will be adding (subtracting too?) roads that it will work on.

Unfortunately they've already said the bolt won't get the expanded coverage.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/11/chevy-bolt-euv-wont-get-expanded-super-cruise-driving-coverage/

I looked into the openpilot thing but I got real big "running cyanogenmod on your 2010 android phone" vibes from it.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Well that’s pretty lame. I think I’ll be removing supercruise when my allocation arrives

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Can you just use it for 3 years and then not use it again? Seems cool to have for 3 years.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Yeah it will be something that I’ll have to think about. The current coverage does include most places I drive, so there’s that. But honestly I’m hoping the Tesla price drop shakes up the industry puts more cars into the price range I’m willing to pay to give me more options.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

Get yourself a nice BMW Estate Petrol Plug In Hybrid like this one, which can do 30+ miles electric only:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202211041373964

I just hope America actually gets them!

:911:

Indiana_Krom posted:

Long term EVs should be more reliable than ICE, or at the least require less maintenance than ICE. Stuff like shocks/struts/dampers/tires may wear out more quickly on an EV though, since they typically have to deal with more weight. But they don't require oil changes or have oxygen sensors that fail, or have a catalytic converter for someone to steal in the middle of the night. The drive train being simpler is just a big advantage, no contained explosions, much less heat to deal with, no clutch/torque converter/transmission, regenerative braking reduces the wear on the mechanical brakes, etc. The batteries are the most sensitive part and are pushing physics and engineering just about as far as modern ICE engines do, but they are still sealed up and free from requiring service (if something goes bad in one, usually the whole pack gets swapped).

On the other hand when something goes wrong with an EV, it can likely be a bigger pain to deal with or fix than stuff in a well established ICE platform. And an ICE engine can often give warning signs before outright failing and require only simple repairs, where a fault in a battery pack is totally silent until it reaches the point where one day the vehicle simply refuses to start or move. Think of EV pack failures being more like the timing belt randomly snapping, crashing the pistons into the valves and completely destroying the engine in a split second. Basically all the simple and recoverable "engine" problems are more or less eliminated entirely in an EV and all that is left are the exceedingly rare catastrophic failures that require replacing the entire thing.

ty for the response.

the maintenance story is a big part of my EV desire. i just need to figure out what is reliable and intangibly "nice" enough, i guess.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Surprised he didn’t mention the tax credit, that seems like it would weigh down the used market vs new.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

quote:

Took delivery of Mach E premium that came out to 55,495. Missed the 55,000 cutoff because of optioning the red color. Anyway I can still claim the tax credit?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Good colours should get double the tax credit imo

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011
One kind of nice thing about the polestar 2 transmission tunnel is that the floor is a bit lower than in other EVs because they put a bunch of battery into it. Especially noticeable in the back since those seats are not adjustable. I’ve been in the back of my own p2 and a couple model 3s and it always felt a bit uncomfortable how high my feet were in the model 3s. My thighs would not lie flat on the seat unless I crossed my feet a bit.

The tunnel does take up a lot of storage room in the front which is annoying though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The party of "you're not my real dad" has taken a hilariously pointless stance against EVs

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1615010876460863490

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Stultus Maximus posted:

The party of "you're not my real dad" has taken a hilariously pointless stance against EVs

I wonder what the equivalent of rolling coal would be for ev cars, getting a tesla coil on the roof?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

I wonder what the equivalent of rolling coal would be for ev cars, getting a tesla coil on the roof?

If there's a new way to be a jackass, you can count on humanity to eventually find it!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SlowBloke posted:

Throwing EV battery platforms into lakes and oceans or burning them in bonfires and partying might be more apt.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Throwing EV battery platforms into lakes and oceans or burning them in bonfires and partying might be more apt.

Which I assume we all do right? Like those parties are epic. Epic to the max.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Throwing an EV battery pack into the ocean is just responsible recycling imo

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Extracting lithium from seawater is how we get most of our lithium anyway

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

SlowBloke posted:

Blasting the electric vehicle warning sound.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SlowBloke posted:

Electric related cringe vanity plate

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SlowBloke posted:

Using superior acceleration to pace and block pickups.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

SlowBloke posted:

fart sounds

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Man I need my GF to get her ID.4, I've been traveling for work a lot, and driving the Leaf to and from the airport is a nightmare, takes like 80% battery, and Chademo availability in the direction of my house is poor. The spot I normally stop at had a 64kWh Leaf hogging the poo poo out of the Chademo, must have been trying to go 10-100% out something because he was there the entire hour I was at the L2 getting enough range to make it to the next station.

There was also an I4 there, good looking car (from the rear, l lol) very much a normal sedan you wouldn't expect to be electric.

I would love to see an EV that shot lightning bolts in relation to how hard you pressed the go pedal, that'd be wicked sick.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The BMW EVs… kinda do that? They have Hans Zimmer sound effects that vary based on how hard you’re flooring it. My first impression was it’s pretty goofy but I think I could learn to unironically enjoy it lol.

https://youtube.com/shorts/3NLyxYcAMFw

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ok, time to see how Polestar handles their roadside assistance. Pulled out this afternoon to pick kiddo up from school. Got about 1/4 mile from home and Bing,
Got a pop up to check tire pressure, says RT FT low. I pull over and check it 26 psi, go back home and fill it, and check for a GIANT BOLT stuck in 3rd tread alley from curb.
They can’t/won’t fix these low profile rubber bands roadside so tow(flatbed) coming to take it to Volvo dealer. Losing 4-6 psi an hour so I’m not going to risk damaging it.
I’ll have to see how this plays out, I was skeptical of no-spare operation leaving me stranded. 2 hours into having notified them.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Tesla also doesn't include spare tires, though to be fair a significant number of modern vehicles don't. (Weight savings)

Also huge wheels with super thin rubber band tires are the stupidest new car trend period. Objectively worse in every way.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Indiana_Krom posted:

Tesla also doesn't include spare tires, though to be fair a significant number of modern vehicles don't. (Weight savings)

Also huge wheels with super thin rubber band tires are the stupidest new car trend period. Objectively worse in every way.

Yes, and totally agree, even my 2008 Saab 9-5 ate its vintage rubber bands

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Indiana_Krom posted:

They'll do a tire swap in your garage via mobile service though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Indiana_Krom posted:

Bolt and Leaf also come default without a spare, though the Bolt has run-flats, Leaf has a can of slime and a 12V compressor.

And I agree 100% with your second statement.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It really sucks BMW went to run flats and no spare, I had an 82 633CSi and a 2003 325iT that both had glorious full size wheels that were the identical alloy rims to the stock ones. It seemed just awesomely ostentatious for some reason lol.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I really am curious on how well the Micheline UPTIS tires are received when they get released. If they work as good as promised and aren't outrageously expensive I'd be really interested in them- SF has given me more flats than any other city I've lived in.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Vegetable posted:

The BMW EVs… kinda do that? They have Hans Zimmer sound effects that vary based on how hard you’re flooring it. My first impression was it’s pretty goofy but I think I could learn to unironically enjoy it lol.

https://youtube.com/shorts/3NLyxYcAMFw

As a BMW I4 owner, I only turn it on to make a point when I'm taking people in it for the first time and then I turn it right back off. Funny gimmick but I prefer... The sound of silence

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I really am curious on how well the Micheline UPTIS tires are received when they get released. If they work as good as promised and aren't outrageously expensive I'd be really interested in them- SF has given me more flats than any other city I've lived in.

I did not know research into airless tires had kept progressing, those look really neat.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I thought that stuff was just relegated to forklifts forever. I wonder if they fixed the issue with them providing insanely bad ride comfort at high speeds.

Orty
May 14, 2007

The Nissan Ariya I reserved has finally arrived after multiple delays and hijinks on Nissan's part. Including the car still having a Jan 30th date of delivery and just randomly showing up on a truck. They thought it was their demo unit until they saw the vin was the one matched to my reservation. I may be the first delivery in Oklahoma, and got mine before people with way lower reservation numbers that live right next to the ports due to them delivering by region.

Nissan also entirely skipped a part of the reservation process they had defined, we did not get to confirm with the dealer any specifics including options. Whatever the factory puts on is what we end up with. Including people who ordered the special first edition "Premier" trim not getting the floor mats that are specific to that trim. Mine had carpet floor mats paired with a first aid kit ($250, somehow on their sites build tool $230 if ordered separately...) and illuminated kick plates ($485) slapped on it. We also get some sort of Ariya Personal Assistant for one year to help with any technical issues and things with the vehicle in general. Some have reported getting their missing floor mats shipped out for free, curious what they will do if I mention the kick plates that I didn't want.

Overall I am loving it! Missed out on the tax credit so time will tell if the money was worth it. I am coming from a Gen 3 Prius so it is extremely different in terms of how "luxury" the interior is and the tech, so much tech. I don't have the fancy hands off ProPilot but even the normal one was some sort of magic to me on my way back from the dealer. The ride height and size are going to take some getting used to as well. Only thing disappointing is the lack of wireless android auto, wireless carplay but only wired android auto. Anyone happen to know how well the wireless adapters (AAWireless/Motorola/other?) work?

Obligatory photos:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Nice! :waycool:

Re:tires. I have a hard time believing that those little fins will hold up. Love to see catastrophic failure where the rim just hits the pavement.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I like the AAwireless because the cord is removable which gives some more flexibility in placement and whether you want to tie up a USB-C or -A port. I have mine plugged into the USB-C on my Maverick so I can use more common -A flash drives (Sync being a fucker to browse media when driving notwithstanding).

darnon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 18, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The biggest issue of the current iteration of UPTIS is that you will need to change both tire and rim at every change, so it's a bit more wasteful than conventional models. If you tend to destroy rims on curbs it will come in handy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stultus Maximus posted:

lmao, this is something I expected to see but not for like five or six years, and I think even they realize it's a stupid messaging bill rather than a serious attempt. Are they just giving up? Did Elon's transphobia-induced cyberpsychosis confuse them enough to get out of the way?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Orty posted:

The Nissan Ariya I reserved has finally arrived after multiple delays and hijinks on Nissan's part. Including the car still having a Jan 30th date of delivery and just randomly showing up on a truck. They thought it was their demo unit until they saw the vin was the one matched to my reservation. I may be the first delivery in Oklahoma, and got mine before people with way lower reservation numbers that live right next to the ports due to them delivering by region.

Nissan also entirely skipped a part of the reservation process they had defined, we did not get to confirm with the dealer any specifics including options. Whatever the factory puts on is what we end up with. Including people who ordered the special first edition "Premier" trim not getting the floor mats that are specific to that trim. Mine had carpet floor mats paired with a first aid kit ($250, somehow on their sites build tool $230 if ordered separately...) and illuminated kick plates ($485) slapped on it. We also get some sort of Ariya Personal Assistant for one year to help with any technical issues and things with the vehicle in general. Some have reported getting their missing floor mats shipped out for free, curious what they will do if I mention the kick plates that I didn't want.

Overall I am loving it! Missed out on the tax credit so time will tell if the money was worth it. I am coming from a Gen 3 Prius so it is extremely different in terms of how "luxury" the interior is and the tech, so much tech. I don't have the fancy hands off ProPilot but even the normal one was some sort of magic to me on my way back from the dealer. The ride height and size are going to take some getting used to as well. Only thing disappointing is the lack of wireless android auto, wireless carplay but only wired android auto. Anyone happen to know how well the wireless adapters (AAWireless/Motorola/other?) work?

Obligatory photos:

What's the trap speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Orty posted:

Obligatory photos:

That looks awesome, congratulations!