Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will the light-heavyweight title somehow stay vacant again?
This poll is closed.
Another split draw 6 17.65%
Glover Teixeira pulls out citing old man hips 9 26.47%
Jamahal Hill gets TKOed during his weight cut by way of Bathtub 9 26.47%
Fight cancelled when Jiří Procházka throws a dolly at the fighter bus 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I thought Jon Jones was a sport killer and will never headline a PPV ever again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

blue footed boobie posted:

Dana said some stuff: https://sports.yahoo.com/dana-white-francis-ngannou-rejected-143034354.html

Now I’m no expert but I think that there may be a serious flaw in the UFC’s business plan when that’s an option for the heavyweight champion.

"Dana how would you say you're handling this slap in the face, about as well as your wife ?"

Dana should be asked about it at every opportunity

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

guys who domestic violence together do ppvs together, as the old maxim goes

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

why yes, i would like to get paid $12 million to fight some boxer with zero stakes to my career vs get paid $400k by the world's reddest wife beater who has demonstrated he has nothing but contempt for all but like 3 of the people on his roster. why do you ask?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Don't forget to get votes in for 2022

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020881

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
A glance at twitter (don't go on twitter) reminds me that 'Ngannou isn't a draw so somehow it's his fault' is still a lot of people's takeaway and, genuinely, holy poo poo. If you can't promote Francis Ngannou (insert list of his extremely easy to sell traits) are you even a loving promotion? I've never worked in fight promotion, but I imagine for Ngannou, you just put up a big picture of him with a mid size car for scale, point to it and say "This guy's going to punch someone on saturday. you want to see it? Of course you fuckin' do. Look at the size of this fella"

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The Dana White believers are massing about it, but there's this ostensibly reasonable and neutral position of "of course the UFC doesn't want their champion boxing and getting obliterated by Tyson Fury, that would ruin him and keep him off the shelf for a year," and it's like, we literally did this, Mayweather making Conor look like the world's biggest goober did absolutely nothing to him but brought new eyes onto the sport and made the UFC a big cut of millions of dollars, and they already made an interim champ and froze him for a year because it was vaguely more convenient to their interests

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CarlCX posted:

The Dana White believers are massing about it, but there's this ostensibly reasonable and neutral position of "of course the UFC doesn't want their champion boxing and getting obliterated by Tyson Fury, that would ruin him and keep him off the shelf for a year," and it's like, we literally did this, Mayweather making Conor look like the world's biggest goober did absolutely nothing to him but brought new eyes onto the sport and made the UFC a big cut of millions of dollars, and they already made an interim champ and froze him for a year because it was vaguely more convenient to their interests
Don’t forget that we got the most racist and homophobic press tour since Aldo vs Conor; hmm seeing a pattern here

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I thought Jon Jones was a sport killer and will never headline a PPV ever again?

next time dana needs to be mad at someone he'll be right back in that context

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’m shocked by this and by that not really shocked.

The real story here is that bones is afraid of francis and the ufc cut francis to give him an easier fight.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Snowman_McK posted:

A glance at twitter (don't go on twitter) reminds me that 'Ngannou isn't a draw so somehow it's his fault' is still a lot of people's takeaway and, genuinely, holy poo poo. If you can't promote Francis Ngannou (insert list of his extremely easy to sell traits) are you even a loving promotion? I've never worked in fight promotion, but I imagine for Ngannou, you just put up a big picture of him with a mid size car for scale, point to it and say "This guy's going to punch someone on saturday. you want to see it? Of course you fuckin' do. Look at the size of this fella"

I'd say spin off of this idea and show off said traits by having an ad where he beats up a car Street Fighter 2 style

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I don't want to bet either way but this could still be true.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man it's hosed up that Daniel Cormier has to start getting back into shape now to replace Jones at the last minute in March.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
MMA On Point put out a 30-minute history of kickboxing today and it's really, really good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt2zQu4boZM

Also, check this poo poo out
https://twitter.com/jaaamon/status/1614581683877195776

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It warms my heart that Shooto is still alive (and hopefully so is that guy)

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Shooto's still alive and has that Abema contract, Pancrase has a Youtube channel you can subscribe to worldwide to watch their shows but it's $15 a month, lol.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Boco_T posted:

MMA On Point put out a 30-minute history of kickboxing today and it's really, really good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt2zQu4boZM

Neat. I think the point I'm getting from it is that, while Thailand has a better-than cottage industry nowadays of running camps for aspiring fighters to improve their Muay Thai, that there's always been a need in other countries for domestic kickboxing competition, and that the pioneers from those days ended up leading new waves of fighters to excel in striking in MMA.

I'm watching one of the other vids on this channel and just saw a great burn --
"Matt Hughes is often outshone by his more charistmatic peers"
*cut to shot of Josh Koscheck*

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Never seen this clip of Strickland before.
The angels that sit on Cody Garbrandt’s shoulder would be saying “uh, no homo! No homo!” the whole time.

https://youtu.be/4meT1X7UpvE

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Boco_T posted:

Shooto's still alive and has that Abema contract, Pancrase has a Youtube channel you can subscribe to worldwide to watch their shows but it's $15 a month, lol.

Didn't pancrase switch to unified rules and.kove away from their weird wrestler-palm-slap ruleset?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Well, Rizin is no longer the only player in the Cards Not Airing Internationally game
https://twitter.com/NicoSCMP/status/1614888715859656704
Kind of cuts the WE'RE TAKING LUMPINEE GLOBAL thing off at the knees when your main card is barred from broadcast.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Already deleted, looks like.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Yeah what was it

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

originally this show was going to only be aired in Thailand but they changed their mind
https://mobile.twitter.com/Beyond_Kick/status/1614967871167152129

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can only imagine that people still caping for Dana White are hoping he's going to DM them and say "thanks for defending me on twitter bro here's 2 Milly on your venmo"

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Not everyone can afford full price venom t shirts

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1615067114859102219

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
:siren: B League Preview! :siren:

Invicta 51 - Wednesday, January 18

Main Card - 8:30 PM ET, AXS TV, YouTube

Bantamweight Title - Taneisha “Triple Threat” Tennant vs Talita Bernardo

Tennant is 7-1, with 1 TKO win that came in her pro debut. She’s 6-0 in Invicta, though two of those bouts were special 1-round fights as part of the one night tournament format of the Phoenix Series. She lost on the Contender Series to Danyelle Wolf in 2020, but has bounced back with a pair of wins in Invicta, capturing and defending the 135 lb title. She is now the second ever Invicta Bantamweight champ to make a defense of that belt, joining Tonya Evinger.

Bernardo is 9-4, with 6 submission wins, and two TKO losses. She made it to UFC in 2017, going 1-3 inside the Octagon. She’s currently on a 3-fight win streak, including two wins inside the Invicta cage.

Tennant’s got a technical striking edge, but doesn’t have a ton of power to get finishes. Bernardo’s a solid grappler, but she’s going to have to really work to get any takedowns. Now, with that being said, I fully expect Tennant to foolishly pull guard or Bernardo to employ a Stand n Wang gameplan because, as always, fighters are big dum-dums who hate to play to their strengths.

Flyweight Title - Kristina “Warhorse” Williams vs Ketlen “Esquentadinha” Souza

Williams is 6-3 with 1 TKO and 1 sub win, as well as 1 TKO and 1 sub loss. She started her pro career in Bellator, going 3-3, with wins over Heather Hardy, Emily Ducote, and Bruna Ellen, while dropping fights to Valerie Letourneau, Juliana Velasquez, and Denise Kielholtz. She’s now on a 3-fight win streak, including her two most recent bouts in Invicta. She was last in action in July, submitting Liana Pirosin in the first round.

Souza, whose nickname apparently translates to “Hottie” (Unsure if there is any karate involved), is 12-3. She boasts 8 TKO and 1 submission finish, with 2 TKO and 1 submission loss. She went 4-1 in Brazil’s Mr. Cage promotion, and I’m only noting that because I just like the name. She’s 1-0 in Invicta, taking a decision over Maiju Suotama in September.

As recently as 3 fights ago, Williams took on a 1-1 Helen Lucero, and 3 fights ago, Souza took on 0-0-1 Joane Milen, so the level of competition has been a bit thin for both fighters.

Bantamweight - Serena “The Southpaw Outlaw” DeJesus vs “Big Bad” Olga Rubin

DeJesus is 5-2, and has never not gone to the judges. She’s 2-1 in Invicta, plus has a 1-1 exhibition record thanks to the Phoenix Series. She’s currently on a 4-fight win streak.

Rubin is 7-3 with 3 TKO wins and 2 TKO losses. She went 4-2 in Bellator, with a pair of TKO wins and losses. She is 0-1 in Invicta, having lost to Taneisha Tennant in July in a bid for the Bantamweight title.

Rubin has struggled against high level competition, but I don’t think DeJesus is a major threat. She’s not bad, and I can see her winning, but I don’t think she’s going to blow Olga out of the water like all the other times Rubin has taken a leap forward in opponent.

Bantamweight - “Grizzly” Claire Guthrie vs Auttumn “The Natural” Norton

Guthrie is 4-1 with 1 submission win to her record. She’s 3-1 in Invicta, and is on a 3-fight win streak, as long as you ignore her stint on TUF.

Norton is 2-1, with all three bouts taking place inside the Invicta cage. She won her last two fights, notching the first stoppage of her pro career in July.

Both fighters had amateur careers spanning over five years, but Guthrie went 7-1 and Norton went 6-2, so it’s not like they were racking up a ton of fights and experience. It’s just a little weird to go that long before turning pro, but hey, I’m just some globule of adipose behind a keyboard, clacking away to shield myself from the lack of a true warrior’s spirit that would relish the chance to get punched in the head for zero money.

Atomweight - Marisa “Spider Monkey” Messer-Belenchia vs Elisandra “Lili” Ferreira

MMB is 5-1 with 1 TKO and 2 submission wins. She is 1-1 in regular Invicta bouts, and also went 1-1 in the Phoenix Series back in 2021. She’s on a 2-fight win streak, having last competed in Reality Fighting in July, taking a decision over Samantha Schell.

Ferreira is 4-2, with 1 TKO win. She’s making her US debut, having fought the bulk of her career thus far in her native Brazil, only recently venturing to North America in her last fight for the Pallas Athena Women’s Fighting Championship Atomweight title in August, dropping a decision to Anastasia Nikolakakos.

I am incapable of picking against someone called Spider Monkey. Go elsewhere for actual analysis, you know what I bring to the table: NOTHING.

Atomweight - Katie “Queen of the North” Saull vs Rayanne Amanda

Saull is 5-5, with 2 sub wins. She’s 1-2 in Invicta, having dropped a pair of split decisions before notching her first promotional win last January. She competed in Combate Global in July, taking a decision there.

Amanda is 12-6, with 2 TKO and 8 submission wins. She dropped a decision to Denise Gomes on the Contender Series in August, but bounced back with a win over Vitoria Karolina under the Mag Fight banner in October.

Half of Amanda’s wins came against opponents who had not won a fight at the time she faced them, and only 4 had a 0.500 or better record. At least on paper, Saull’s opponents wins have come against marginally more competent foes.

Strawweight - Fatima “The Archangel” Kline vs Laura “La Jefa” Gallardo

Kline is 2-0 as a pro, with one TKO and one sub win, plus an extensive grappling record. Both fights took place in Invicta, the latest one coming in May.

Gallardo is 4-1, with 1 TKO victory. She’s 0-1 in Invicta, losing to Trisha Cicero by split decision in July 2020. Since then, she won in Combate Global and Cage Fury FC before heading to The Ultimate Fighter, going 1-1 on the season 30.

In terms of combat sports with punching and kicking, Gallardo has the experience edge. Strictly grappling, gotta give it to Kline.

Strawweight - Tanya Nijjar vs Sayury Canon

Nijjar is 1-0 as a pro, winning by RNC in three minutes last August in Combate Global. She went 3-0 as an amateur with two TKO wins, all in 2015. She had several canceled bouts between and since then, so I can only assume everyone is ducking her.

Canon is 2-0 as a pro, with her debut ending by TKO in the first round. She’s got one of those wonky Tapology pages, where her amateur “career” of one fight came in 2018, her pro debut was in 2016, and she last fought April 2021. What the heck is going on?

Seven fights between the both of them between pro and amateur, since 2015. Nobody wants to fight any more!!!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
8-fight show with 2 title fights that starts at 9 ET (per the Invicta Youtube), guess I better allot for myself to be going to bed at 1 AM on a weeknight.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Fight Week, Pets Week!

Invicta 51 edition

First up, we got Ketlen Souza's fluffy cat

Rayanne Amanda's dog (As always, we at Fight Week, Pets Week do not condone cropping dog ears)

Laura Gallardo's dog, Queen Zuli

Tanya Nijjar's big friend, Diesel

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

i love queen zuli. i love pet week.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
pet week is wonderful

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

LobsterMobster posted:

Tanya Nijjar's big friend, Diesel

I love big dogs that think they're small dogs

mewse
May 2, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Atomweight - Katie “Queen of the North” Saull vs Rayanne Amanda

Saull is 5-5, with 2 sub wins. She’s 1-2 in Invicta, having dropped a pair of split decisions before notching her first promotional win last January. She competed in Combate Global in July, taking a decision there.

Amanda is 12-6, with 2 TKO and 8 submission wins. She dropped a decision to Denise Gomes on the Contender Series in August, but bounced back with a win over Vitoria Karolina under the Mag Fight banner in October.

Half of Amanda’s wins came against opponents who had not won a fight at the time she faced them, and only 4 had a 0.500 or better record. At least on paper, Saull’s opponents wins have come against marginally more competent foes.

I used to train with Katie, she was a talented amateur boxer. She trains at SBG ireland now, haven't seen her bouts recently.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Fight Week, Pets Week continues on with UFC 283 edition

Jessica Andrade's got a lil cat

Lauren Murphy's pup, her lucky Penny

Shogun's dog

Bruno Ferreira's dog

Thiago Moises's lil pal

Luan Lacerda's sleepytime friend

Cody Stamann's outdoors companion

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Shogun having a Golden is so perfect

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

there's deep MMA lore revolving around shogun and dogs

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lmao cagepotato. That takes me back

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Hey remember when Mikey Musumeci's opponent let Mikey twist his leg for 10 minutes instead of tapping?
https://twitter.com/nicoscmp/status/1615347073926443010

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Boco_T posted:

Hey remember when Mikey Musumeci's opponent let Mikey twist his leg for 10 minutes instead of tapping?
https://twitter.com/nicoscmp/status/1615347073926443010

i've never cringed so hard at a fight in my life. just tap man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Who tf is making that unofficial recovery estimate?!