Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Upsidads posted:

One of those handheld security cams, expensive but at least it's blurry
Security camera footage can be stupidly difficult to get off the machine, a lot of times its saved in proprietary formats because the companies want to lock you into their product line. This is presumably someone filming the screen with their cellphone rather than trying to deal with exports and screen recorders.

In summary that is clearly authentic footage of an alien who's lost his contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
New cryptid just dropped

https://i.imgur.com/j2yTaen.mp4
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-derbyshire-64165953

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, maybe you've heard of me. the Goblin of Paraguay. that was me. what? no?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
When it's Spring again I'll bring again
Goblin of Paraguay
With a heart that's true I'll give to you
Goblin of Paraguay

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

When it's Spring again I'll bring again
Goblin of Paraguay
With a heart that's true I'll give to you
Goblin of Paraguay

Wichita Dogmen

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm a big fan of Monster Talk and In Re:Search Of but goddamn, Blake has been doing this for years now. Why the gently caress is he so poo poo at audio? None of the other podcasts have so many episodes where the host has to reconstruct audio or record with the wrong mic, or had skype corrupt, etc.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you don't have at bare minimum two unrelated backup mics you've failed as an audio person.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

https://twitter.com/depthsofwiki/status/1611498848119291904

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hopefully the Loveland frog isn't carnivorous, because I would probably be incapacitated by laughter if I saw that walking up to me.

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hopefully the Loveland frog isn't carnivorous, because I would probably be incapacitated by laughter if I saw that walking up to me.

They have wands so no clue what they can do to people.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

hey now, we also have bigfoot

https://www.explorehockinghills.com/festivals-events/hocking-hills-bigfoot-festival/

he can't be our bigfoot when we also just have bigfoot

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It's so mysterious because whenever someone tries to get famous by filming or exhibiting this amazing bipedal frog, it just looks and acts like a normal frog until everyone leaves

It's also frequently sighted in Michigan

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

hey now, we also have bigfoot

https://www.explorehockinghills.com/festivals-events/hocking-hills-bigfoot-festival/

he can't be our bigfoot when we also just have bigfoot

I propose that the Loveland Frog be given the name Bigfoot on account of having even larger feet relative to body size, and Bigfoots collectively take on the Skunk Ape name in general

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I propose that the Loveland Frog be given the name Bigfoot on account of having even larger feet relative to body size, and Bigfoots collectively take on the Skunk Ape name in general

Just go with the reddit "paranormal" system of naming everything everything else until nothing means anything. Eventually everything is a skinwalker.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Charles Ford posted:

Just go with the reddit "paranormal" system of naming everything everything else until nothing means anything. Eventually everything is a skinwalker.

Looks like a cross between a fleshgait and a wendigo to me! Very dangerous, pm me for some spells you can use.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Modern Cryptozoology has lost a lot of the pseudoscientific charm. Where art thou Loren Coleman and RIP Linda Godfrey.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Loren is still around, but I know he’s had some health issues recently and is busy relocating his museum.

As of last year, he was planning to bring back the International Cryptozoology Conference this May, but I haven’t heard anything about that recently so I’m assuming it was delayed. He asked me to give a talk there so whenever it happens I’m hoping I will still be on the list.

I know a lot of skeptics are very hostile to him but he’s always been very friendly towards me when we’ve spoken, and back in 2019 he invited me to speak at his last conference after reading my very critical article on the mokele-mbembe.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
That owns. I love a humble weirdo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Unfortunately thanks to TV shows like Finding Bigfoot the prevailing public perception of cryptozoologists is that they're credulous idiots with fake gadgets wandering around in the middle of the night making strange whooping calls and jumping at shadows and claiming that every little noise or snapping branch or weird smell is evidence that OMG we nearly got them this time!!! We were so close!!!!!

The truth is that a lot of them are way more skeptical and considered than that, but also a lot of them are much more batshit crazy and :tinfoil:

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Chairman Capone posted:

Loren is still around, but I know he’s had some health issues recently and is busy relocating his museum.

As of last year, he was planning to bring back the International Cryptozoology Conference this May, but I haven’t heard anything about that recently so I’m assuming it was delayed. He asked me to give a talk there so whenever it happens I’m hoping I will still be on the list.

I know a lot of skeptics are very hostile to him but he’s always been very friendly towards me when we’ve spoken, and back in 2019 he invited me to speak at his last conference after reading my very critical article on the mokele-mbembe.

He is by all accounts a lovely guy and isn't a grandstanding nutter like a lot of the field. But I saw him give a talk once that got totally destroyed in the Q&A. It was just disappointing and careless.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

BrownPepper posted:

Modern Cryptozoology has lost a lot of the pseudoscientific charm. Where art thou Loren Coleman and RIP Linda Godfrey.
Cell phone cameras have killed the field. "Oh I couldn't get it out of my pocket in time" can only go so far.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

Knormal posted:

Cell phone cameras have killed the field. "Oh I couldn't get it out of my pocket in time" can only go so far.

Considering phone cameras aren't great at low light due to tiny lenses/etc. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if they provide *some* photo, but yeah, if they have nothing at all, suspicious.

Of course, people can just say their camera misbehaved, like Bruce Maccabee's wife and the 'Predator' she saw in the woods.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Unfortunately thanks to TV shows like Finding Bigfoot the prevailing public perception of cryptozoologists is that they're credulous idiots with fake gadgets wandering around in the middle of the night making strange whooping calls and jumping at shadows and claiming that every little noise or snapping branch or weird smell is evidence that OMG we nearly got them this time!!! We were so close!!!!!

The truth is that a lot of them are way more skeptical and considered than that, but also a lot of them are much more batshit crazy and :tinfoil:

On the other hand there's an episode (possibly more!) that features an old hillbilly stumbling through the forest and falling down multiple times and then claimed bigfoot possessed him. So I support TV Bigfoot and its mystical powers.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Knormal posted:

I'll be a 100% honest that this line goes pretty far.

I spend 2/3rdish of the year out camping and hiking and the majority of the time I see a cool bird or animal or something I either fumble the phone or take a really lovely photo.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Knormal posted:

the small brain "i couldnt pull my phone out in time"

vs.

the galaxy brain "the creature was emitting an electromagnetic frequency that prevented it from being photographed"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

the small brain "i couldnt pull my phone out in time"

vs.

the galaxy brain "the creature was emitting an electromagnetic frequency that prevented it from being photographed"

Don't forget the universe brain "it stepped into another dimension when I pointed my camera at it"

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

Telsa Cola posted:

I spend 2/3rdish of the year out camping and hiking and the majority of the time I see a cool bird or animal or something I either fumble the phone or take a really lovely photo.

Obviously you just forgot to Always Be Filming. If you're in a horror movie, you'll also have an expository scene where someone gets angry at you for constantly filming, and you reply saying "you need to document what's happening", "you're going to finish the film either way" or "I got this camcorder for my birthday".

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
i watched a documentary about the guy who hosted karaoke at my favorite bar in grad school hunting bigfoot around town. I'm not convinced he provided evidence of the sasquatch, but he seemed confident. it was cool.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Captain Hygiene posted:

Don't forget the universe brain "it stepped into another dimension when I pointed my camera at it"

drat you, Alaskan Killer Bigfoot!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Why does every Bigfoot print have flat feet? Do these grifter not know about arch support?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

The Demilich posted:

Why does every Bigfoot print have flat feet? Do these grifter not know about arch support?

Bigfoot has a midtarsal break where his foot just happens to make the exact same imprint as a flat cutout piece of wood

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Telsa Cola posted:

Majority is the key word there. Yeah it's a valid excuse for most sightings, but there still should have been a dramatic increase in blurry bigfoot photos in the last 10 years. There used to be a decent portion of sightings were people claimed the bigfoot wasn't aware of them and they watched it flip rocks looking for grubs or hunt salmon or whatever, that type of sighting no longer holds up. The only type of bigfoot sighting you can feasibly claim anymore is the "it ran across the road in front of my car" one, unless you want to go through the effort of renting a costume.

Charles Ford posted:

Considering phone cameras aren't great at low light due to tiny lenses/etc. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if they provide *some* photo, but yeah, if they have nothing at all, suspicious.

Of course, people can just say their camera misbehaved, like Bruce Maccabee's wife and the 'Predator' she saw in the woods.
Exactly. Cell phone shots of bigfoot are going to be awful and scientifically useless, but they still should be there. Then there's things like photos of tracks, which we should also be getting a lot more of now from the people out hiking or working the backwoods.

Anyway here's a fun video on the Ancient Aliens episode about bigfoot, Ancient Aliens is too stupid and repetitive for me to tolerate watching but I enjoy these kinds of videos mocking it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA0YDwsZJgA

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

who do u think would win in a fight sasquatch or yeti

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Bigfoot has a midtarsal break where his foot just happens to make the exact same imprint as a flat cutout piece of wood

Come now, we live in the age of 3D printers. Every random Bigfoot faker can just scan their own foot, select all, scale x4 and print.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

who do u think would win in a fight sasquatch or yeti

Yeti for sure. If Bigfoot shows up on its turf, Bigfoot's gonna need supplemental oxygen just to survive, and the Yeti will basically be superpowered if it shows up here due to all the extra air at lower elevations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeti for sure. If Bigfoot shows up on its turf, Bigfoot's gonna need supplemental oxygen just to survive, and the Yeti will basically be superpowered if it shows up here due to all the extra air at lower elevations.

thats what i thought at first too but would the yeti get overheated bc hes used to living in ice cold snowy mountains? Tho I guess the inverse is true and the sasquatch would freeze on yetis turf :thunk:

I think you make a great point tho if there were some type of neutral temp turf where they wouldnt overheat/freeze then that extra oxygen would def give yeti the edge

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Kvlt! posted:

thats what i thought at first too but would the yeti get overheated bc hes used to living in ice cold snowy mountains? Tho I guess the inverse is true and the sasquatch would freeze on yetis turf :thunk:

I think you make a great point tho if there were some type of neutral temp turf where they wouldnt overheat/freeze then that extra oxygen would def give yeti the edge

Live from Base Camp 1, we've got the Slaughtering Sasquatch going up against the Yowlin' Yeti! Don't miss the Spree on the Scree!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Charles Ford posted:

Come now, we live in the age of 3D printers. Every random Bigfoot faker can just scan their own foot, select all, scale x4 and print.
I'm already a size 15, I feel bad for any bigfoots with flat feet or high arches.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeti would win

he protec

but he also attac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Note also that this thread has previously discussed the curious case of bigfoots on Cannock Chase:

Holy poo poo, Cannock Chase keeps turning up lovely bigfoots. Someone emailed a fake trailcam photo to the Rocky Mountain Sasquatch Organization with a bullshit story about an encounter on Cannock Chase

Unfortunately for the hoaxer one of the Finding Bigfoot guys recognised that bigfoot shoulder ....

https://twitter.com/CliffBarackman/status/1614794031384629250