Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

wa27 posted:

I wouldn't immediately say it's a downgrade, but if your old one doesn't have any age-related issues, it's likely made with higher quality components overall. Here's the biggest differences:

Yeah my Technics seems to work just fine. When I got it I immediately replaced the cartridge (which had never been replaced in 28 years) with a cheap Audio-Technica P-mount cartridge but my understanding has always been that that's really the limiting factor for this turntable so I've always wanted one with a more traditional mount.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there are some pretty nice p-mount options too, i think the Grado Prestiges come with a P-Mount option if your store can order one

https://gradolabs.com/cartridges/prestige-series-2/item/76-black2-green2

But if this is the case, I might be in luck. I will need to investigate further.

The Insignia turntable came in today. Looks decent for a secondary turntable at the very least. Now to find a home for it, and maybe some bookshelf speakers.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Made a trip to the record store last week, and a Discogs order came in today.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Arcella posted:

:hfive:, fellow LTD fan.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Arcella posted:

That Ventures record has my favorite version of Walk Don't Run.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CaptainBeefart posted:

That Ventures record has my favorite version of Walk Don't Run.

Definitely. The 1964 version doesn't compare at all. Caravan is also good on that album, though it wasn't mixed well. Being that this was released in 1960, it probably wasn't mixed at all. Their extended Japanese concert version of Caravan kicks all kind of rear end and makes this look meek.

Ventures records you can fortunately still find pretty much everywhere and extremely cheap. Best two are The Ventures Play Telstar and The Ventures in Space.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Ventures records you can fortunately still find pretty much everywhere and extremely cheap. Best two are The Ventures Play Telstar and The Ventures in Space.

Thanks, I was just about to ask which ones are best. I like the Ventures but their albums are constantly in dollar bins so I never buy them. I'll keep an eye out for those two.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Ventures…in Space!?!?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i actually need a new copy of the telstar record, mine's a belt-sanded goodwill special

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Barry posted:

Wait - do you actually record Late Night? Or do you just have a data horde or recordings of it? Either way - do you ever actually go back and rewatch old episodes?

Data horde, I do record these shows every night to watch but I turn to the vast resources of THE INTERNET for actually saving them.

I don't rewatch shows usually, there's not enough time in the day for new poo poo plus movies and music, let alone watching old shows. It's mainly for reference, like say I wanna go see when the last time Marnie Stern appeared in the 8G Band. And a need to save poo poo.

It's been a thing for me since 1992, though my days of taping late night talk shows specifically began around 1995. The volume of tapes was overwhelming and I ceased the practice in late 2003; I binned any unlabeled tapes in late 2010, which was in the hundreds. Thankfully hard drive space is much more economical both in terms of dollars and space.

Recording shows on DVDs also fell in-between VHS and full digital, 2005-2016. It also helped that the scenes began doing proper full HD rips in the last decade.

Saving shows was sporadic, that is, I kept Conan's last weeks at Tonight, all that surrounding drama, stuff like that, but when the pandemic began and the entire TV ecosystem had to be smashed apart and rebuilt to work from home, I had to archive that moment, which ended up going for over 18 months. Since late 2021 things have fluctuated; the pandemic is still going, people just live with it now, so there's still upsets (hosts being out, band members being out), but that home show period of time is a unique time in broadcasting history. I have about as exhaustively-complete archive of all those shows as exists anywhere I'd imagine, save The Daily Show and Samantha Bee, neither of which I've much cared for in the past decade. Also gently caress Bill Maher. I have everything from ABC, NBC, CBS, and Conan, including those first days that were only on Youtube before the networks started putting that stuff on TV a couple weeks in.

I imagine I'll revisit 2020 and 2021 shows at some point, when there's a little more distance between then and now. It would be nice if there could be some way to archive it all for everyone to see, where you could sort by day or show; the nets can't be counted on to do so themselves and clips online are neither comprehensive nor are they permanent. Music rights bullshit also gets in the way. I did my best to keep a written record over in the late night chat thread, though it certainly could have been more thorough.

Seth's transformation over the past three years has been most striking of all of them. My mans doing a show in sweaters and the Closer Looks are 20-30% in-jokes and I am extremely here for it

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Which current late night host is the most likely to have an insane audiophile setup and a bunch of hot stampers? And why is it Seth meyers

Conan maybe, probably, but also Corden. Dude has records are part of set decoration both in the studio, and at his home garage.

wa27 posted:

pwn is the resident archivist in the TVIV late night thread.

:shobon:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Conan has a record collection curated by Jack White, Corden has a record collection curated by the intern he hucks his wrong lunch orders at.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Speaking of music lovers pointing mics in people's faces, I would like Nardwuar to host a late night show (or at least have a recurring segment on one). :colbert:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

isn't that literally a crosley behind corden in that second picture

pwn
May 27, 2004

dorium posted:

Conan has a record collection curated by Jack White, Corden has a record collection curated by the intern he hucks his wrong lunch orders at.

I cannot lie, I loled

hexwren posted:

To be fair, decoration is all they're good for

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hexwren posted:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Imagining corden buying each color variant of the new RHCP album and laughing irl

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

dunno if there is a better place to ask, but my dad has 1 or 2 old turntables and speakers from the late 70s still just sitting in his basement. i have no details as the stuff is not here with me. He says one of them is "broken" but i have no idea what that means. My uneducated assumption is outside of a very niche guy looking to complete a 1978 or whatever set of stuff, no one really wants a busted old turntable and speakers now. I have no idea what the market is for original equipment in 2023.

Would it be worth it to figure out the exact models and such and look into reselling them or donating them somewhere, or just toss them?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there is absolutely a market for old audio gear, but it does depend on it being a reasonably nice one. even an entry-level one from a nice brand can be good value, but probably not if it's a crappy old RCA or something

you should ask in this thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

got it, will do, thanks.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

https://youtu.be/cAU9pm7x6Fo

New Devo release coming from Futurismo. Sounds like early demos that haven't been on an official release before. Perhaps a Hardcore Vol. 3.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
how is there more in the vault? between Hardcore 1 & 2, Recombo DNA, and the various live archival releases you'd think everything usable was out there. I've even heard the fan made Hardcore 3 & 4 and this stuff doesn't seem to be on there. crazy.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

JAMOOOL posted:

how is there more in the vault? between Hardcore 1 & 2, Recombo DNA, and the various live archival releases you'd think everything usable was out there. I've even heard the fan made Hardcore 3 & 4 and this stuff doesn't seem to be on there. crazy.

There's a surprising amount of early demos that have been circulating for years - easily enough decent quality recordings to put together a Hardcore Vol. 3. It seems like this is a mixture of several different early 70s tapes. I noticed Lt. Casanova from the well-known 1974 live recording, of which the source and exact details have always been a mystery.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Remember when Devo found a tape awhile back that’s them jamming with Eno and Bowie (maybe Iggy was there too?) and then never did anything with it?

Shoutout to 101 Music in San Francisco! Hell yeah first ever vinyl pressing of Bright Red which is the soundtrack to Laurie Anderson’s ‘90s CD ROM adventure game.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've been on an IDM/abstract binge lately, here's a few standouts:

Lily of the Valley - Compilation
Einóma - Milli Tónverka
Delarosa & Asora - Backsome EP
Opiate - Possible

Vita - Ena
Daze Maxim - Drf
Opiate - Sometimes
Diamond Version - EP5

I couldn't find Opiate - Possible online so I recorded it for YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkT0273IaVM

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://pitchfork.com/news/taylor-swift-albums-account-for-1-in-25-vinyl-lps-sold-in-2022/

Thank you Taylor swift?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

quote:

Swift’s release strategy, which also incorporated several colored vinyl options, renewed debate around major label artists’ capitalization on the vinyl revival, which critics say clogs pressing plants and delays smaller releases.

gently caress you Taylor swift

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Accidentally walked in on The Residents rehearsing without their masks on and I’m not gonna lie, it was like walking in on your parents loving. :yikes:

pwn
May 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Accidentally walked in on The Residents rehearsing without their masks on and I’m not gonna lie, it was like walking in on your parents loving. :yikes:

Whether the Residents or your buddy's band, rehearsals are, or can be at least, a private space, not unlike your parents' bedroom. They's makin an art baby in there

Also:

caligulamprey posted:

Accidentally walked in on The Residents rehearsing

How

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Oh, the places you can go when you walk around carrying a 6’ sub and telling people you’re catering…

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Oh, the places you can go when you walk around carrying a 6’ sub and telling people you’re catering…

:hmmyes:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh, the places you can go when you walk around wearing loaned white tie and a homemade eyeball mask

that would make for a good premise to a Hitman level, actually.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

It all boils down to simple miscommunication. The staff simply started letting the audience in before clearing the floor.

The whole shindig took place at the SF Conservatory of Music which is a school that fully operates simultaneously while the show is going down on one of their stages. I don’t think they knew how to handle a bunch of goobers posted up for hours in the rain in front of their building waiting for a show. Fair enough.

I’ll post updates soon and oh boy it’s probably gonna be insufferable. Sorry.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

BigFactory posted:

There was an episode of 30 Rock where Matt Damon's character explains that a white man in a suit and tie can gain access to anywhere if he walks at a brisk enough pace, which is how he walked around the West Wing late at night while the Obamas slept. Similar principle, I guess

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I know it's not a mega rarity but it would be cool if they released the version Hey Hey My My from Human Highway as a single or something. The Eno/Bowie thing is probably tied up in rights issues.

Turbinosamente posted:

I'd go with Fallon because he has that wannabe mucisian thing going on.

Anyways holy poo poo bitching on the internet really does work, cause The Temples are back baby with a new album after like three years!!!!

Here's the single they've put out: https://youtu.be/Z0PrB0mvOGU and of course I've preordered it like a dumb dumb. Not suprised at all that they're on the same label as King Gizz is/was. First record purchase in several months, too.

If bitching on the internet worked I would have solved lots of problems by now.

I see a pile of thrift store dumpster trash next to a Crosley. Cordon is definitely not a record guy. If you look at his overall decor it's just stuff that "looks vintage".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i need to stop buying old opera boxes. honestly i mostly buy them for the books, because they're so much nicer to follow along with than electronic libretti (it's really hard to do two-column translated texts on a vertical phone screen) and play the opera streaming, especially because most opera boxes are in autochanger format

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

I know it's not a mega rarity but it would be cool if they released the version Hey Hey My My from Human Highway as a single or something. The Eno/Bowie thing is probably tied up in rights issues.

That video of them performing is amazing. Neil Young just has a huge grin on his face the entire time.

Devo was surprised. They thought he would just be some hippy and they found out he was weirder than they were.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Human Highway’s gotta be on the archives, right?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

iirc, it actually got a separate bluray release, i think packed with the rust never sleeps concert film

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Mannnn, I heard San Francisco lost its luster when the Tech people started piling in, but the weird amount of hostility my partner and I came across all weekend was incredibly bizarre, including getting chased off by police in riot gear halfway through a screening of the new Avatar when my guy went for a bathroom break, opened the door to see the entire bathroom covered in vomit, turned around and immediately saw a manager talking to cops who stopped, turned and pointed at him. Instead of pointing out how he was spotless so it clearly wasn't him, my dude just ran away. And the frequent stink eye we got while walking around town the night of the Residents 50th after we bought a bunch of cheap womens' clothing to wear to the show? Come on. It's SF. It's not even high drag, we're just wearing nice looking suit stuff.

Anyway, The Residents promised something Once in a Lifetime for their 50th Anniversary and goddamn, they probably were right this time around. This one-off performance was quite the effort that pooled together a wild amount of talent including a four-piece dance troupe (dressed in all black with duck hats), the San Francisco Girls Chorus, A 30-piece A Cappella troupe and seemingly the entire student body of the San Francisco Music Conservatory. Probably around 70-100 performers all together? That's not even counting guest singers like Les Claypool, David J from Bauhaus and even someone like Pamela Zeibak who hasn't performed with or been on a Residents recording since '77.

Having an entire school's worth of performers and instruments is really what seals the deal: due to the nature of the album recordings, material always gets re-written/arranged for tours (which is an aspect I love), but having a full orchestra allowing them to perform the songs as recorded (often for the first time in 50 years) brings out the strength of the writing, even down to including the fumbling. For a band who has a fixation on tuned percussion, having an actual marimba for the performance was the real key to that show.

And shoutout to the dancers, who spent the entire time while the stage was being set up sweeping the floors before breaking into dance to let you know the show was going on the entire time. Good bit. I love when the lighting hit them just right they looked like a mass of writing limbs.

The real corker of the evening is after closing out the show with Nobody Laughs When they Leave off of Freak Show, the conductor who was right next to us immediately turned to my partner, shoved the conductor's notes in his hands, bowed and walked off. On top of that I managed to snag original artwork from Leigh Barbier commissioned for the show. There were only five different character drawings made for the entire show and I had to have Whitey. Oh yeah, and the ticket for the show. All of this poo poo is getting put under glass for the genuine relics they are:

:swoon:

Got some vinyl, too! This original recording of the first showing of God in Three Persons was for Kickstarter and they had a few leftovers:

Here's a couple more photos and then I'm off to bed 'cause we've been up for three days straight partying. Peace!

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 17, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Hell yeah. Looks amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Mannnn, I heard San Francisco lost its luster when the Tech people started piling in, but the weird amount of hostility my partner and I came across all weekend was incredibly bizarre, including getting chased off by police in riot gear halfway through a screening of the new Avatar when my guy went for a bathroom break, opened the door to see the entire bathroom covered in vomit, turned around and immediately saw a manager talking to cops who stopped, turned and pointed at him. Instead of pointing out how he was spotless so it clearly wasn't him, my dude just ran away. And the frequent stink eye we got while walking around town the night of the Residents 50th after we bought a bunch of cheap womens' clothing to wear to the show? Come on. It's SF. It's not even high drag, we're just wearing nice looking suit stuff.

Anyway, The Residents promised something Once in a Lifetime for their 50th Anniversary and goddamn, they probably were right this time around. This one-off performance was quite the effort that pooled together a wild amount of talent including a four-piece dance troupe (dressed in all black with duck hats), the San Francisco Girls Chorus, A 30-piece A Cappella troupe and seemingly the entire student body of the San Francisco Music Conservatory. Probably around 70-100 performers all together? That's not even counting guest singers like Les Claypool, David J from Bauhaus and even someone like Pamela Zeibak who hasn't performed with or been on a Residents recording since '77.

Having an entire school's worth of performers and instruments is really what seals the deal: due to the nature of the album recordings, material always gets re-written/arranged for tours (which is an aspect I love), but having a full orchestra allowing them to perform the songs as recorded (often for the first time in 50 years) really brings out the strength of the writing, even down to including the fumbling. For a band who has a real fixation on tuned percussion, having a real marimba for the show was the real key to that show.

And shoutout to the dancers, who spent the entire time while the stage was being set up sweeping the floors before breaking into dance to let you know the show was going on the entire time. Good bit. I love when the lighting hit them just right they looked like a mass of writing limbs.

The real corker of the evening is after closing out the show with Nobody Laughs When they Leave off of Freak Show, the conductor who was right next to us immediately turned to my partner, shoved the conductor's notes in his hands, bowed and walked off. On top of that I managed to snag original artwork from Leigh Barbier commissioned for the show. There were only five different character drawings made for the entire show and I had to have Whitey. Oh yeah, and the ticket for the show. All of this poo poo is getting put under glass for the genuine relics they are:

:swoon:

Got some vinyl, too! This original recording of the first showing of God in Three Persons was for Kickstarter and they had a few leftovers:

Here's a couple more photos and then I'm off to bed 'cause we've been up for three days straight partying. Peace!

Absolute baller of a night, cop bullshit notwithstanding, thanks for sharing :)