Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

[screams into the void]

The toyota corolla is now an SUV
https://www.toyota.com/corollacross/

this country... is not my kinda country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

what’s with the bluish slate color? all cars have that color now and also look almost exactly the same.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

what’s with the bluish slate color? all cars have that color now and also look almost exactly the same.

ummm it's 'Celestite', actually

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The cheapest American made new car you can buy is the Dodge Challenger, which starts at ~$30,800.

(The Ford Maverick MSRP is technically lower but no one's selling those at MSRP or will be for a long time.)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the civic is cheaper than that and they make those here in the usa

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pardon me, "American" brands (that are all made in Mexico anyway)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

u said american made

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

[screams into the void]

lmao

they also made a Yaris crossover, too. The Yaris!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Was it Hyundai that had to stop using an American contractor because there were some issues with child labour?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

[screams into the void]

disgusting

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

an actual frog posted:

lmao

they also made a Yaris crossover, too. The Yaris!

disgusting

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

BonHair posted:

Was it Hyundai that had to stop using an American contractor because there were some issues with child labour?

Yeah, they kept taking too many unauthorized breaks and the parts they built were often out of spec.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

BonHair posted:

they kept finding toys in the bodywork

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

crossover with the other great american dead end, the single family home!

quote:

Aside from war-mongering, rarely does the media manufacture consent like it does in terms of interior design. People often ask me: Why is everything so gray? How did we get here? The answer is because it is profitable. Why is it profitable? I’d like to hypothesize several reasons. The first is as I mentioned: today’s total neutrality is an organic outgrowth of a previous but slightly different style, “farmhouse modern,” that mixed the starkness of the vernacular farmhouse with the soft-pastel Pinterest-era rural signifiers that have for the last ten years become ubiquitous.

Second, neutrals have always been common and popular. It’s the default choice if you don’t have a vision for what you want to do in a space. In the 2000s, the neutrals du jour were “earth tones” - beige, sage green, brown. Before that, it was white walls with oak trim in the 80s and 90s. In the 70s, neutrals were textural: brick and wood paneling. We have remarkably short memories when it comes to stylistic evolution because in real time it feels incremental. Such is the case with neutrals.

Finally, the all-gray palette is the end logic of HGTV et al’s gamified methodology of designing houses with commodification in mind: if you blow out this wall, use this color, this flooring, this cabinetry, the asking price of your house goes up. You never want to personalize too much because it’s off-putting to potential buyers. After twenty years of such rhetoric, doesn’t it make all the sense in the world that we’ve ended up with houses that are empty, soulless, and gray?

https://mcmansionhell.com/post/703763852735692801/this-house-may-or-may-not-be-real

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nitevision posted:

Looks like poo poo

There's people in the Musk thread eagerly defending crossovers lmao

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

no car is defensible

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

no car is defensible

Street car, train car, burning car, etc

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

BonHair posted:

Street car, train car, burning car, etc

thats true

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Toyota crossified even its european citycar lol. it is less than 4m long

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

lobster shirt posted:

no car is defensible

On their own, sure, but flip a few brodozers on their sides across a street and it makes a very defensible checkpoint.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Centrist Committee posted:

crossover with the other great american dead end, the single family home!

https://mcmansionhell.com/post/703763852735692801/this-house-may-or-may-not-be-real

The grey-ing of higher end cars is really weird to me.

you buy the ostentatious car and then opt for primer grey? :psyduck: I imagine it was initially a novelty having something like that in the sea of candy colors, but they're so common these days, it just looks like a bunch of unfinished cars (and it's always a $$$ paint option).

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BeeSeeBee posted:

The grey-ing of higher end cars is really weird to me.

you buy the ostentatious car and then opt for primer grey? :psyduck: I imagine it was initially a novelty having something like that in the sea of candy colors, but they're so common these days, it just looks like a bunch of unfinished cars (and it's always a $$$ paint option).

Is this a legit BMW advertisement, or just a photo from a meetup where three (four, if you count the camera car) bimmer drivers decided to take up the entire road?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

[screams into the void]

Oh, my Dad bought one of these because it's easier to get in and out of with his old man knees than a Honda Civic. Which means this will catch on with old folks who have disposable income and doom it's image.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I'm going to start asking people why they have a gamer chair in their car just to watch their head explode.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

[screams into the void]

that's not an suv, it's a crossover, which is the best kind of car to have when you just need a sedan

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Dustcat posted:

best kind of car

Smythe posted:

disgusting

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

the only difference, apart from appearance, between a crossover and a sedan is that the sedan has a tiny trunk like your old man's car had so you'd sometimes have to ride with suitcases in the footwell

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dustcat posted:

the only difference, apart from appearance, between a crossover and a sedan is that the sedan has a tiny trunk like your old man's car had so you'd sometimes have to ride with suitcases in the footwell

I'm quite sure the crossover is longer, taller, and has a somewhat higher grille

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

actionjackson posted:

I'm quite sure the crossover is longer, taller, and has a somewhat higher grille

who the gently caress measures the grille on their car though

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dustcat posted:

higher grille = more dangerous to people it hits

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Dustcat posted:

The pedestrian being scraped off it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dustcat posted:

sorry, did you wander into this thread by mistake?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Can't find it but I just saw a screencap of a news article out of Philadelphia (I think) about a cyclist who was killed by a car. Some of the most horrific use of the passive voice I've ever read; it said something like "Cyclist who collided with car on her bicycle has died in hospital." I mean that's barely even passive voice, that's practically blaming the cyclist.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mister Speaker posted:

Can't find it but I just saw a screencap of a news article out of Philadelphia (I think) about a cyclist who was killed by a car. Some of the most horrific use of the passive voice I've ever read; it said something like "Cyclist who collided with car on her bicycle has died in hospital." I mean that's barely even passive voice, that's practically blaming the cyclist.

https://twitter.com/cbsphiladelphia/status/1614348439818469378?s=46&t=rytKODqWX-alnSiY1bFw-w

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Colliding with a car is a bad maneuver for a cyclist to make IMO.

mystes
May 31, 2006

God the way that's written is infuriating.

The only sentence, buried midway through, that suggests that the car just ran over the cyclist is "Police say the 32-year-old driver of the car was trying to make a left turn onto Columbus Boulevard when the two collided" and even that is worded as if it's impossible to determine who's to blame there

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I'm just glad that the comments are dragging them for it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah the phrasing "bicyclist who collided with a car" strongly implies that the car was just parked or otherwise minding its own business not doing anything and some yahoo on a bike just pedaled straight into it, rather than the opposite which is what actually happened

"bicyclist struck by a car" is both more honest AND fewer words and yet they went out of their way to phrase it in such a way that the dead woman on the bike is framed as the sole responsible party

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thank you duomo for finding the article. Infuriating. Honestly, what is with the passive voice in journalism? Is it out of some toxic desire to maintain 'impartiality' above all else, indoctrinated into journalism students by their dinosaur professors? Are the editors in the pocket of some nefarious lobbying interests, like police unions or car companies? It's mind-boggling that more people don't see right through this sort of language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Driver drove into cyclist is the phrase they are looking for.